Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
So... November 2020 (or there abouts) is when it might launch is my guess. I was guessing March since FF7 remaster launches then, & we were thinking Sony might jump the gun ahead of M$ in launching it early.. But, guess not. lol
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
So... November 2020 (or there abouts) is when it might launch is my guess. I was guessing March since FF7 remaster launches then, & we were thinking Sony might jump the gun ahead of M$ in launching it early.. But, guess not. lol
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I never expected it to be early 2020 just because from a business view the holidays make more sense. Just look at how many games tend to come out at that time.

I wonder whether Sony will do the full reveal at E3 or if they're going to use an event of their own for it. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I never expected it to be early 2020 just because from a business view the holidays make more sense. Just look at how many games tend to come out at that time.

I wonder whether Sony will do the full reveal at E3 or if they're going to use an event of their own for it. Hmm
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I fully expect a 'State of Play', though when Nintendo introduced the Switch it just dropped a new video advertising it.. So who knows. lol
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I fully expect a 'State of Play', though when Nintendo introduced the Switch it just dropped a new video advertising it.. So who knows. lol
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Surprised Sony didn't drop this news in a SoP. It would've been the first time they actually made a surprise announcement that was notable.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Surprised Sony didn't drop this news in a SoP. It would've been the first time they actually made a surprise announcement that was notable.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Some of my friends on twitter aren't impressed;

Also, "key people stepping down like Shawn Layden before the PS5 even released fills me with a little doubt. The system also does not seem all that different from the PS4 Pro at the moment either."
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Some of my friends on twitter aren't impressed;

Also, "key people stepping down like Shawn Layden before the PS5 even released fills me with a little doubt. The system also does not seem all that different from the PS4 Pro at the moment either."
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah, late next year then. That's alright. Hope...wait nope, that's usual thing to say until last year. Er, hope they'll show it off at an event, or perhaps in a finally worthwhile State Of Play.

No idea what haptic is. *checks*
Ah, responding to touch. Also unsure what they mean for the L2/R2 buttons. Hm. No longer a push/press button then.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah, late next year then. That's alright. Hope...wait nope, that's usual thing to say until last year. Er, hope they'll show it off at an event, or perhaps in a finally worthwhile State Of Play.

No idea what haptic is. *checks*
Ah, responding to touch. Also unsure what they mean for the L2/R2 buttons. Hm. No longer a push/press button then.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Haptic feedback is very similar to HD rumble in Switch controllers. I would even say they may be the same thing but Sony obviously don't want to outright reference Nintendo.

The L2/R2 buttons will basically have resistance to them now. Think of it like pushing down but it might feel tougher because it's mimicking resistance a trigger on a gun would give in reality.

As for step downs, I doubt it has anything to do with how well the PS5 will be. All Sony has to do is replicate the PS4's successes into the PS5 and look into adding new successes on top of it and they can't really fuck it up. In terms of hardware, a PS5 will be essentially a PS4 Pro Pro, but the SSD will be a notable change to both load speeds and game sizes (less duplication of assets on the drive means more room for unique content or smaller games) and a unified hardware means developers don't need to make games that run on PS4's and Pro's, they can now go back to focusing on one set of specs (multi-platform putting things up in the air but for first party that isn't a concern) and do more with their games. Dual disc games might only be becoming a thing again because of how much data has to be duplicated to keep load speeds decent on a HDD, and those earlier reports of the load time differences between PS4 Spider-Man and PS5 Spider-Man shows how much developers are needing to compensate or be held back by the current consoles.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Haptic feedback is very similar to HD rumble in Switch controllers. I would even say they may be the same thing but Sony obviously don't want to outright reference Nintendo.

The L2/R2 buttons will basically have resistance to them now. Think of it like pushing down but it might feel tougher because it's mimicking resistance a trigger on a gun would give in reality.

As for step downs, I doubt it has anything to do with how well the PS5 will be. All Sony has to do is replicate the PS4's successes into the PS5 and look into adding new successes on top of it and they can't really fuck it up. In terms of hardware, a PS5 will be essentially a PS4 Pro Pro, but the SSD will be a notable change to both load speeds and game sizes (less duplication of assets on the drive means more room for unique content or smaller games) and a unified hardware means developers don't need to make games that run on PS4's and Pro's, they can now go back to focusing on one set of specs (multi-platform putting things up in the air but for first party that isn't a concern) and do more with their games. Dual disc games might only be becoming a thing again because of how much data has to be duplicated to keep load speeds decent on a HDD, and those earlier reports of the load time differences between PS4 Spider-Man and PS5 Spider-Man shows how much developers are needing to compensate or be held back by the current consoles.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650
Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
I'm really excited actually. But most probably won't end up buying it as soon as it comes out.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650 Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
I'm really excited actually. But most probably won't end up buying it as soon as it comes out.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, it'll take a lot to make me buy it day one. I'll probably wait for either a price drop or for the library of games I want for it to be big enough that it doesn't spend too much time collecting dust from waiting for new games.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, it'll take a lot to make me buy it day one. I'll probably wait for either a price drop or for the library of games I want for it to be big enough that it doesn't spend too much time collecting dust from waiting for new games.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Sony's internal business as of late has been in a state of restructuring for a while now, from changing over their studio focus with their renamed "Sony Interactive Entertainment" unit, and obvious leadership shifting with Layden and Kaz Hirai stepping down. Sony, as a whole, needed to place a lot of their focus on the PlayStation brand because a lot of the other company's divisions aren't doing so hot.

This new gen has me interested in seeing the kinds of advances it'll make. I'd say since the shift from generation 6 to 7 (GCN/XBOX/PS2 to Wii/X360/PS3), it's been quite incremental on the dramatical end of the spectrum, and by that I mean nothing has been really "game-changing" since then. It's been harder and harder to make technology that incredibly different that you think to yourself "Man, I have to get that because what I have now is just trash in comparison". This 9th generation seems to be on the path of "quality of life" improvements, more than anything else, which isn't bad. I'd love to see a world where load times are non-existent. Grin
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Sony's internal business as of late has been in a state of restructuring for a while now, from changing over their studio focus with their renamed "Sony Interactive Entertainment" unit, and obvious leadership shifting with Layden and Kaz Hirai stepping down. Sony, as a whole, needed to place a lot of their focus on the PlayStation brand because a lot of the other company's divisions aren't doing so hot.

This new gen has me interested in seeing the kinds of advances it'll make. I'd say since the shift from generation 6 to 7 (GCN/XBOX/PS2 to Wii/X360/PS3), it's been quite incremental on the dramatical end of the spectrum, and by that I mean nothing has been really "game-changing" since then. It's been harder and harder to make technology that incredibly different that you think to yourself "Man, I have to get that because what I have now is just trash in comparison". This 9th generation seems to be on the path of "quality of life" improvements, more than anything else, which isn't bad. I'd love to see a world where load times are non-existent. Grin
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Oct 13th, 2019, 11:17 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Well you can play PS4 games on it as I've read so that's a positive thing.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 14th, 2019, 05:17 AM)aerodynamik Wrote:
True. But I wouldn't pay for a new console just to play the games I can already play, especially if a price drop were to happen before enough PS5 games come out that I would want to have.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
True. But I wouldn't pay for a new console just to play the games I can already play, especially if a price drop were to happen before enough PS5 games come out that I would want to have.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I always wait a year or two before I get Sony's next gen console; mostly because I don't have the money for the next gen system day one & save back to get it.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I always wait a year or two before I get Sony's next gen console; mostly because I don't have the money for the next gen system day one & save back to get it.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Oct 14th, 2019, 09:48 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Yeah, that would be pretty stupid. Tongue

But I'd probably wait a year after launch date. It's not like I game as much as I used to, so my demands have been dramatically lowered. Tongue
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Oct 14th, 2019, 09:48 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Yeah, that would be pretty stupid. Tongue

But I'd probably wait a year after launch date. It's not like I game as much as I used to, so my demands have been dramatically lowered. Tongue
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I put up a poll asking how much everyone thinks the PS5 will launch at. I think it'll probably be at the $400-$450 range, just because anything higher is a bad idea unless Project Scarlett is sitting in a similar range.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I put up a poll asking how much everyone thinks the PS5 will launch at. I think it'll probably be at the $400-$450 range, just because anything higher is a bad idea unless Project Scarlett is sitting in a similar range.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 687 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,014 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,514 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,736 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM