What TV/Monitors Do You Play On?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
This question came to me after @aerodynamik asked if anyone had played Scarlet/Violet on a 70 inch TV, and I actually got curious to know what type/size of TV and/or monitor everyone here plays on currently.

For me, all of my PC gaming is done on my laptop which has a 15.6 inch screen, while all of my current console gaming is on a 50 inch TV that's just a standard HD TV; it doesn't do 4K and lacks HDR and stuff like that, but I'm not too bothered since most games don't do 4K on console and I don't care enough about HDR to buy a new TV for that alone. I probably wouldn't even replace this TV unless it dies, which I hopefully haven't cursed it to do now that I've said that. Tongue

I remember when I had my PS3 I didn't get a HD TV until maybe 2010, so before that all my games were being played on a regular CRT although I can't remember the size (maybe like 20 inches?), and it was crazy to see the difference in quality when I played some of my games on the HD TV after originally playing them only on the CRT. I don't really recall the graphical quality being painful to deal with for PS3 games on the CRT, but what was bad was that a lot of text was designed for a HD screen so it was very difficult if not outright impossible to read it. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift will always stick in my memory for having tips on the loading screen that I could never read because the text was so small and also blurry until I played the game on a HD TV that displayed it at a quality (and size, but the quality was what really made the difference) that was legible. XD

I'm not sure what size the TV is that I have in the other room for all the old game consoles, but it's useful for playing older games that might not run at a good frame rate or visual quality if they get blown up onto the 50 inch TV.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
This question came to me after @aerodynamik asked if anyone had played Scarlet/Violet on a 70 inch TV, and I actually got curious to know what type/size of TV and/or monitor everyone here plays on currently.

For me, all of my PC gaming is done on my laptop which has a 15.6 inch screen, while all of my current console gaming is on a 50 inch TV that's just a standard HD TV; it doesn't do 4K and lacks HDR and stuff like that, but I'm not too bothered since most games don't do 4K on console and I don't care enough about HDR to buy a new TV for that alone. I probably wouldn't even replace this TV unless it dies, which I hopefully haven't cursed it to do now that I've said that. Tongue

I remember when I had my PS3 I didn't get a HD TV until maybe 2010, so before that all my games were being played on a regular CRT although I can't remember the size (maybe like 20 inches?), and it was crazy to see the difference in quality when I played some of my games on the HD TV after originally playing them only on the CRT. I don't really recall the graphical quality being painful to deal with for PS3 games on the CRT, but what was bad was that a lot of text was designed for a HD screen so it was very difficult if not outright impossible to read it. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift will always stick in my memory for having tips on the loading screen that I could never read because the text was so small and also blurry until I played the game on a HD TV that displayed it at a quality (and size, but the quality was what really made the difference) that was legible. XD

I'm not sure what size the TV is that I have in the other room for all the old game consoles, but it's useful for playing older games that might not run at a good frame rate or visual quality if they get blown up onto the 50 inch TV.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I use a 32 inch Smart TV to play my PS3/4 and tablet.

Nothing fancy, really... but it does the job.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I use a 32 inch Smart TV to play my PS3/4 and tablet.

Nothing fancy, really... but it does the job.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
PC - Samsung Odyssey G7 32'' curved monitor (2560x1440, 240hz) 

Consoles - 55'' LG C2 OLED TV (4K/120hz)

Hoping that by next winter the OLED monitor market will be at full steam, and I can trade my current monitor for two 27'' OLED monitors. While I've enjoyed this monitor, I sometimes feel like 32'' is just too much for what I'd like. Also a curved monitor makes it hell to have dual/triple monitors and have them look good side-by-side, although the curve is visually nice on its own.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
PC - Samsung Odyssey G7 32'' curved monitor (2560x1440, 240hz) 

Consoles - 55'' LG C2 OLED TV (4K/120hz)

Hoping that by next winter the OLED monitor market will be at full steam, and I can trade my current monitor for two 27'' OLED monitors. While I've enjoyed this monitor, I sometimes feel like 32'' is just too much for what I'd like. Also a curved monitor makes it hell to have dual/triple monitors and have them look good side-by-side, although the curve is visually nice on its own.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650
Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
My 70 4K HDR doesn't play games good, I don't know what's up with it, it just lags much more than my 45 LG that's 10 years old.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650 Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
My 70 4K HDR doesn't play games good, I don't know what's up with it, it just lags much more than my 45 LG that's 10 years old.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 20th, 2022, 01:51 PM)aerodynamik Wrote:
Maybe try switching the TV to Game Mode and see if that changes anything? Apparently that mode is designed to alleviate lag so it might be the fastest way to start troubleshooting the issue. Wink

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Maybe try switching the TV to Game Mode and see if that changes anything? Apparently that mode is designed to alleviate lag so it might be the fastest way to start troubleshooting the issue. Wink
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Dec 21st, 2022, 01:14 AM)Moonface Wrote:
I've tried and no luck, that isn't the issue I think. The problem is the TV is just too damn big to game on. Tongue
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
I've tried and no luck, that isn't the issue I think. The problem is the TV is just too damn big to game on. Tongue
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Television: TOSHIBA 19BV501B 19"  Cry 

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5 a515-56 LCD 15.6" (1920x1080)

Tiny TV, had it for a long a while. I'm possibly due for an upgrade, but don't want to just yet. Need to sort out my room/belongings then might consider it. Laptop is acceptable and got it earlier this year, it's what I use to play Genshin (two F2P accounts) and Steam games.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Television: TOSHIBA 19BV501B 19"  Cry 

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5 a515-56 LCD 15.6" (1920x1080)

Tiny TV, had it for a long a while. I'm possibly due for an upgrade, but don't want to just yet. Need to sort out my room/belongings then might consider it. Laptop is acceptable and got it earlier this year, it's what I use to play Genshin (two F2P accounts) and Steam games.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 21st, 2022, 03:53 PM)aerodynamik Wrote:
What quality is the screen image trying to display for the games? Maybe it's a HDMI issue where the image being shown is more than the current HDMI can handle. Perhaps see if lag continues to happen if you use a connected device to display content other than games? Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 21st, 2022, 03:53 PM)aerodynamik Wrote:
What quality is the screen image trying to display for the games? Maybe it's a HDMI issue where the image being shown is more than the current HDMI can handle. Perhaps see if lag continues to happen if you use a connected device to display content other than games? Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There is the lesser-known HDMI 2.0, which is what you're supposed to use for TVs with resolutions higher than 1080p (4K, namely). Perhaps you need to invest in one of those if you only have the stock standard HDMI 1.0?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There is the lesser-known HDMI 2.0, which is what you're supposed to use for TVs with resolutions higher than 1080p (4K, namely). Perhaps you need to invest in one of those if you only have the stock standard HDMI 1.0?
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Dec 30th, 2022, 04:50 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

That might indeed be the problem. I'll look into it, thanks for the tip.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
(Dec 30th, 2022, 04:50 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

That might indeed be the problem. I'll look into it, thanks for the tip.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
I got a new 24 inch gaming monitor this week. Way better than a huge television. Tongue 144hz, 0.1ms delay.
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
I got a new 24 inch gaming monitor this week. Way better than a huge television. Tongue 144hz, 0.1ms delay.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 4th, 2023, 09:17 PM)aerodynamik Wrote:
I assume you're using that now in place of the 70 inch one you were having trouble with?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 4th, 2023, 09:17 PM)aerodynamik Wrote:
I assume you're using that now in place of the 70 inch one you were having trouble with?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yoooo, GG on the new monitor! What brand, if you don't mind me asking? Smile

Also yeah, details on the TV situation, if there's an update ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yoooo, GG on the new monitor! What brand, if you don't mind me asking? Smile

Also yeah, details on the TV situation, if there's an update ROFL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wii U and 3DS Play Stats | eShop's Close Next Year Moonface 3 1,277 Feb 18th, 2022, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are There Any Cross-Gen Games You'll Wait to Play on the Newest Console Gen? Moonface 6 3,203 May 27th, 2021, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Monocle
  PS4 Remote Play now available for iOS devices Metallix 6 5,629 Mar 21st, 2019, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Metallix