Let this be my Q&A thread + Hello again | Nightingale
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If you were to take your class on a trip to a historical place or museum, where would it be?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If you were to take your class on a trip to a historical place or museum, where would it be?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Aug 10th, 2021, 10:46 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I would definitely love to take a class across East Prussia or Königsberg at the very least! Man, that would make my day.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 

I would definitely love to take a class across East Prussia or Königsberg at the very least! Man, that would make my day.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 11th, 2021, 12:48 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

As someone not versed in either of those things (I hadn't even heard of the second one until now) what about those places stand out to you more than others?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

As someone not versed in either of those things (I hadn't even heard of the second one until now) what about those places stand out to you more than others?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 11th, 2021, 12:54 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, East Prussia had such a rich history (and I said "had" because it stopped existing after WW2) with some towns and villages having been German for over 700 years. You could go and see the burned palaces, abandoned fields and wreckage and I guarantee you that you would be taken aback by the ghastly spectacle.

As for Königsberg... yeah, not surprised you haven't heard of it, as it is known as Kaliningrad now. It was the last city of the Third Reich to fall, it was closed off to visitors until the fall of the Soviet Union and it kept being bombed by the Allies EVEN WEEKS AFTER PEACE HAD BEEN SIGNED. Very few traces of the old city remain, but its 800 years of life gave us thinkers, philosophers, artists, generals, books... what a sad loss for the world. The castle and cathedral were demolished for materials and the gates had the statues decapitated by the Russians.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 11th, 2021, 12:54 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, East Prussia had such a rich history (and I said "had" because it stopped existing after WW2) with some towns and villages having been German for over 700 years. You could go and see the burned palaces, abandoned fields and wreckage and I guarantee you that you would be taken aback by the ghastly spectacle.

As for Königsberg... yeah, not surprised you haven't heard of it, as it is known as Kaliningrad now. It was the last city of the Third Reich to fall, it was closed off to visitors until the fall of the Soviet Union and it kept being bombed by the Allies EVEN WEEKS AFTER PEACE HAD BEEN SIGNED. Very few traces of the old city remain, but its 800 years of life gave us thinkers, philosophers, artists, generals, books... what a sad loss for the world. The castle and cathedral were demolished for materials and the gates had the statues decapitated by the Russians.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Jeez. Both those places sound really neat, and it's a shame there doesn't sound like much is left of either of them. Sad They definitely sound like places that would fit in the "Things You'd Like to See Back in Their Glory" thread though. XD
As for Kaliningrad, the closest name I've heard of that reminds me of it is Stalingrad.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Jeez. Both those places sound really neat, and it's a shame there doesn't sound like much is left of either of them. Sad They definitely sound like places that would fit in the "Things You'd Like to See Back in Their Glory" thread though. XD
As for Kaliningrad, the closest name I've heard of that reminds me of it is Stalingrad.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 15th, 2021, 10:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Stalingrad? Funny you say that because there's been quite the discomfort about the name ever-since the Soviet Union fell, because Mihail Kalinin (the person for which the city is named) was a lackey of Stalin and many people think that a rename is long overdue. Some people even think that the old German names should be restored, but I can't see it happening.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 15th, 2021, 10:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Stalingrad? Funny you say that because there's been quite the discomfort about the name ever-since the Soviet Union fell, because Mihail Kalinin (the person for which the city is named) was a lackey of Stalin and many people think that a rename is long overdue. Some people even think that the old German names should be restored, but I can't see it happening.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
From what Google told me just now when I looked it up, the area was already renamed to Volgograd at some point.

What do you think about the proposed game remake for The Last of Us?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
From what Google told me just now when I looked it up, the area was already renamed to Volgograd at some point.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 22nd, 2021, 10:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I actually don't think that it would be such a great idea... the original game is neither old enough nor crappy enough to warrant a remake this soon.

Besides, that sure sounds like an admission of defeat to me: "2 bombed, let's play with house money now and bet on sure odds".
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 22nd, 2021, 10:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I actually don't think that it would be such a great idea... the original game is neither old enough nor crappy enough to warrant a remake this soon.

Besides, that sure sounds like an admission of defeat to me: "2 bombed, let's play with house money now and bet on sure odds".
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think development of the remake started before 2 released, and what with the TV show coming out I see it more as trying to just cash in on that in any way possible and remaking the game the show will be basing itself on is easy to do, and before it was going awry it wasn't being developed by Naughty Dog but some other random studio. It'll take a lot for me to care about it though and not just see it as a soulless cash grab. At best I'd only buy it when I can find it dirt cheap because I don't want to fork over $70 for a remake of a game that isn't even 10 years old.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think development of the remake started before 2 released, and what with the TV show coming out I see it more as trying to just cash in on that in any way possible and remaking the game the show will be basing itself on is easy to do, and before it was going awry it wasn't being developed by Naughty Dog but some other random studio. It'll take a lot for me to care about it though and not just see it as a soulless cash grab. At best I'd only buy it when I can find it dirt cheap because I don't want to fork over $70 for a remake of a game that isn't even 10 years old.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 06:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Wait, there is a TV show in the making? Daaaamn.

As for Volgograd: yeah, but people are still pissed about Kaliningrad. I am too.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 06:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Wait, there is a TV show in the making? Daaaamn.

As for Volgograd: yeah, but people are still pissed about Kaliningrad. I am too.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I forgot we also have a thread about it here: https://universalgaming.net/showthread.p...0#pid12370

The currently confirmed cast is Pedro Pascal as Joel, Bella Ramsay as Ellie, Gabriel Luna as Tommy, Merle Dandridge as Marlene (the only actor who is also the VA for that same character in the game), just to name a few of what is actually a lot more than I realized had been confirmed. LOL

Are people pissed about Kaliningrad because of its destruction or the name, or both?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I forgot we also have a thread about it here: https://universalgaming.net/showthread.p...0#pid12370

The currently confirmed cast is Pedro Pascal as Joel, Bella Ramsay as Ellie, Gabriel Luna as Tommy, Merle Dandridge as Marlene (the only actor who is also the VA for that same character in the game), just to name a few of what is actually a lot more than I realized had been confirmed. LOL

Are people pissed about Kaliningrad because of its destruction or the name, or both?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Both, actually.

People are unforgiving about the fact that the 700-year-old castle was destroyed to build an ugly, UNSAFE AND UNUSED travesty of an office complex in there, too.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Both, actually.

People are unforgiving about the fact that the 700-year-old castle was destroyed to build an ugly, UNSAFE AND UNUSED travesty of an office complex in there, too.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Have you played Ghost of Tsushima yet? I've heard it's got remarkable story for being set at a very specific war time (13th century IIRC?) and it's pretty authentic.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Have you played Ghost of Tsushima yet? I've heard it's got remarkable story for being set at a very specific war time (13th century IIRC?) and it's pretty authentic.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 27th, 2021, 03:49 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Not yet, I'm afraid.

I cannot afford gaming these days.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 27th, 2021, 03:49 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Not yet, I'm afraid.

I cannot afford gaming these days.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
That's a shame. Sad
Do you at least get to enjoy other forms of entertainment? Smile

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
That's a shame. Sad
Do you at least get to enjoy other forms of entertainment? Smile