Sony Finally Offers PSN ID Changes
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
After years of requests, Sony have finally given PlayStation players the ability to change their PSN ID, starting from today.

As mentioned in Sony's announcement blog post, the first name change will be free, with all subsequent changes being $9.99. However, reverting your PSN ID back to any previously used ID will be free, and your old ID's can not be taken by other players. You'll also be able to display your old ID next to your new ID in your profile for 30 days so your friends will know who you are; of course, you could opt not to show it and confuse your friends for shits and giggles.

For now, the majority of games released after April 1st, 2018 do not have any issues with PSN ID changes. Earlier games will vary, and you can see a full list of games that support PSN ID changes without a problem here.

Will you be changing your PSN ID now that we finally have the ability to, or are you happy to stick with your choice of xXxMo0nyRul3zxXx420? ROFL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
After years of requests, Sony have finally given PlayStation players the ability to change their PSN ID, starting from today.

As mentioned in Sony's announcement blog post, the first name change will be free, with all subsequent changes being $9.99. However, reverting your PSN ID back to any previously used ID will be free, and your old ID's can not be taken by other players. You'll also be able to display your old ID next to your new ID in your profile for 30 days so your friends will know who you are; of course, you could opt not to show it and confuse your friends for shits and giggles.

For now, the majority of games released after April 1st, 2018 do not have any issues with PSN ID changes. Earlier games will vary, and you can see a full list of games that support PSN ID changes without a problem here.

Will you be changing your PSN ID now that we finally have the ability to, or are you happy to stick with your choice of xXxMo0nyRul3zxXx420? ROFL
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I won't be changing my name. Too big of a risk with how many games could be negatively effected by it, as well as trophy data and save data potentially being corrupted due to a name change.

I'm happy enough with my PSN name that I don't have any need to risk the potential damages.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I won't be changing my name. Too big of a risk with how many games could be negatively effected by it, as well as trophy data and save data potentially being corrupted due to a name change.

I'm happy enough with my PSN name that I don't have any need to risk the potential damages.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
The loss of licenses and cloud data is fucking stupid. They should've converted PSN IDs to some internal, numerical, invisible ID that would be linked to all your data.

You know, like nearly every other ID used by companies that allow displayed name alterations across the world.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
The loss of licenses and cloud data is fucking stupid. They should've converted PSN IDs to some internal, numerical, invisible ID that would be linked to all your data.

You know, like nearly every other ID used by companies that allow displayed name alterations across the world.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I choose to go with the PSN name 'queenzelda', & I'm not changing that. I knew when picking it; that would be my ID on every platform ever. I'm always 'queenzelda' in some form. Even if I have to have a number at the end of that name; like via Xbox or dA since I have a 01 at the end of my username.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I choose to go with the PSN name 'queenzelda', & I'm not changing that. I knew when picking it; that would be my ID on every platform ever. I'm always 'queenzelda' in some form. Even if I have to have a number at the end of that name; like via Xbox or dA since I have a 01 at the end of my username.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Apr 10th, 2019, 11:44 PM)Monocle Wrote:

Reading the blog post, it seems that happens for games marked as having that as a critical issue and Sony warns against changing your ID if you own a game that falls under that. Hopefully if anyone does it without being aware that can happen, they can just revert their ID back to fix it.

I agree with your idea on changing PSN ID's to a numerical value that has a name attached as the visible attribute to it (similar to user ID's on a forum). At least then you're changing the display only, and not needing to have any of the back-end coding change along with it. I can't believe Sony didn't think of using a method for ID's that lets them work on PS3 and Vita games such as this one. Errm

As for changing my ID, I won't be. As queen said, I knew going in that my ID was permanent so I made sure I wouldn't pick a name I'd want to change. I would've liked to have just Moonface, but that was already taken. Sad
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Apr 10th, 2019, 11:44 PM)Monocle Wrote:

Reading the blog post, it seems that happens for games marked as having that as a critical issue and Sony warns against changing your ID if you own a game that falls under that. Hopefully if anyone does it without being aware that can happen, they can just revert their ID back to fix it.

I agree with your idea on changing PSN ID's to a numerical value that has a name attached as the visible attribute to it (similar to user ID's on a forum). At least then you're changing the display only, and not needing to have any of the back-end coding change along with it. I can't believe Sony didn't think of using a method for ID's that lets them work on PS3 and Vita games such as this one. Errm

As for changing my ID, I won't be. As queen said, I knew going in that my ID was permanent so I made sure I wouldn't pick a name I'd want to change. I would've liked to have just Moonface, but that was already taken. Sad
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
About time, but dang costing to change your name on a second attempt sounded a bit much until I read old IDs won't become available for anyone else. So that does stop people changing it every week, so ID choices become harder to find. LOL

If I remember correctly, my first choice username was taken back in the PS3 days, but I prefer the added EL onto it for my abbreviation others give me here anyway. So I won't be changing mine, nor my second account which I intended to have a silly name for, plus that first choice username was taken for that too. XD

Does sound bad with the possible loss of data and progress in a game, but glad I won't be worrying about that.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
About time, but dang costing to change your name on a second attempt sounded a bit much until I read old IDs won't become available for anyone else. So that does stop people changing it every week, so ID choices become harder to find. LOL

If I remember correctly, my first choice username was taken back in the PS3 days, but I prefer the added EL onto it for my abbreviation others give me here anyway. So I won't be changing mine, nor my second account which I intended to have a silly name for, plus that first choice username was taken for that too. XD

Does sound bad with the possible loss of data and progress in a game, but glad I won't be worrying about that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sony Won’t Release Any New Major Existing Franchise Titles before April 2025 Moonface 0 73 Feb 14th, 2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  What Do You Think of PSN/XBL/NSO? Moonface 2 834 Aug 16th, 2022, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Moonface