Sonic The Hedgehog (Movie Series) | Sonic 3 Logo Reveal
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

I know we've all heard of it, so how many of you so far have watched the trailer for the Sonic The Hedgehog movie that dropped today, and what are your thoughts on it?

I....really don't know where to begin. Sonic looks awful, it seems Eggman won't start adopting the look and characteristics he's known for until the end of the movie to try and push the idea of a sequel, rings being Dr. Strange portals is just a piss poor attempt of forcing them into the movie, and I need to say it again, Sonic is awful.

The story itself might not have been too bad. A strange hedgehog appears and people wonder what the hell it is. At least there we could get a good reason for how Sonic exists (although I bet the actual reason we get is a crock of shit); however, I wonder if it would hold up when explaining every other character in the Sonic universe as appearing on Earth out of nowhere. Clearly Sonic doesn't know any of the other characters, so they didn't come together which makes an origin story for them all harder to pull off.

The CG side of things though is abysmal. When you have a movie like Detective Pikachu where the characters are faithful, albeit a little weird to get used to seeing CG'd, it makes this Sonic stand out so badly. This movie has no chance of performing well. It won't attract fans of Sonic, and I doubt it'll attract new ones. The only achievement it's going to have is making Sonic 2006 look good by comparison.

They could've made this work, but all I see here is a poor attempt to cash in on the Detective Pikachu trend. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

I know we've all heard of it, so how many of you so far have watched the trailer for the Sonic The Hedgehog movie that dropped today, and what are your thoughts on it?

I....really don't know where to begin. Sonic looks awful, it seems Eggman won't start adopting the look and characteristics he's known for until the end of the movie to try and push the idea of a sequel, rings being Dr. Strange portals is just a piss poor attempt of forcing them into the movie, and I need to say it again, Sonic is awful.

The story itself might not have been too bad. A strange hedgehog appears and people wonder what the hell it is. At least there we could get a good reason for how Sonic exists (although I bet the actual reason we get is a crock of shit); however, I wonder if it would hold up when explaining every other character in the Sonic universe as appearing on Earth out of nowhere. Clearly Sonic doesn't know any of the other characters, so they didn't come together which makes an origin story for them all harder to pull off.

The CG side of things though is abysmal. When you have a movie like Detective Pikachu where the characters are faithful, albeit a little weird to get used to seeing CG'd, it makes this Sonic stand out so badly. This movie has no chance of performing well. It won't attract fans of Sonic, and I doubt it'll attract new ones. The only achievement it's going to have is making Sonic 2006 look good by comparison.

They could've made this work, but all I see here is a poor attempt to cash in on the Detective Pikachu trend. Errm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'll never know why they chose that design for Sonic. I could get behind the slight electric properties of his speed, but that's about it. The visual side of it is completely wrong, and will be the main reason I won't watched this among being a live action in the real world Sonic movie. For some reason I kinda like Carrey's Eggman though, but probably because of how much I disliked everything else. Agreed about rings, when did they ever do that? Or at least not small rings, as I suppose big rings signalled end of a level or were/are portrayed as a portal somewhere else in the Sonic universe that I don't know about.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'll never know why they chose that design for Sonic. I could get behind the slight electric properties of his speed, but that's about it. The visual side of it is completely wrong, and will be the main reason I won't watched this among being a live action in the real world Sonic movie. For some reason I kinda like Carrey's Eggman though, but probably because of how much I disliked everything else. Agreed about rings, when did they ever do that? Or at least not small rings, as I suppose big rings signalled end of a level or were/are portrayed as a portal somewhere else in the Sonic universe that I don't know about.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Carrey is probably the only thing that can be salvaged from this movie. The design for Sonic screams executive oversight though, because there is no way the team who would have come up with the design for Sonic would have willingly gone for what we have. There are so many people on Twitter putting out better versions of how Sonic should've been and that was within the day the trailer came out, so the people working on the movie could have absolutely done better. There's just clearly some dipshit who's out of touch pulling the strings on what this movie should be doing.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Carrey is probably the only thing that can be salvaged from this movie. The design for Sonic screams executive oversight though, because there is no way the team who would have come up with the design for Sonic would have willingly gone for what we have. There are so many people on Twitter putting out better versions of how Sonic should've been and that was within the day the trailer came out, so the people working on the movie could have absolutely done better. There's just clearly some dipshit who's out of touch pulling the strings on what this movie should be doing.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
The Director of the movie has responded to the backlash, just saw a video recommended to me about this and checked it out.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

Wonder if they'll push the release back because of the potential changes, as doing so between now and the current date will be difficult to do. Hopefully the new design won't be worse. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
The Director of the movie has responded to the backlash, just saw a video recommended to me about this and checked it out.

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

Wonder if they'll push the release back because of the potential changes, as doing so between now and the current date will be difficult to do. Hopefully the new design won't be worse. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think the new design could possibly be worse. I do however hope that if they decided on the time frame this change has to be made in, that it was ran by the animators first and they didn't just throw them under the bus to crunch out something new. Of course it's obvious the director/producers aren't going to give a shit if crunch has to happen because it isn't going to affect them, but I like to hope the decision of some twat in a suit doesn't have repercussions on the people who really had nothing to do with the Sonic design we got.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think the new design could possibly be worse. I do however hope that if they decided on the time frame this change has to be made in, that it was ran by the animators first and they didn't just throw them under the bus to crunch out something new. Of course it's obvious the director/producers aren't going to give a shit if crunch has to happen because it isn't going to affect them, but I like to hope the decision of some twat in a suit doesn't have repercussions on the people who really had nothing to do with the Sonic design we got.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So we can rest easy over the possibility of a bad crunch for the changes to Sonic to happen. The Sonic the Hedgehog movie is delayed until next year:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So we can rest easy over the possibility of a bad crunch for the changes to Sonic to happen. The Sonic the Hedgehog movie is delayed until next year:
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Valentine's Day? XD

Still, good to see the delay I suppose. That fact they used a glove holding the sign has given us hope they're doing a proper Sonic, or at least he has gloves now. Not 3D yet, but in concept stages again, or that's done and they're on to sorting out the model.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Valentine's Day? XD

Still, good to see the delay I suppose. That fact they used a glove holding the sign has given us hope they're doing a proper Sonic, or at least he has gloves now. Not 3D yet, but in concept stages again, or that's done and they're on to sorting out the model.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 25th, 2019, 10:28 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Valentine's Day? XD 
So the new Sonic is either going to make us fall in love or break our hearts. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 25th, 2019, 10:28 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Valentine's Day? XD 
So the new Sonic is either going to make us fall in love or break our hearts. ROFL
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Apparently the Sonic redo for how he looks is better now,
[Image: sonic310.png]

Eh, close enough.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Apparently the Sonic redo for how he looks is better now,
[Image: sonic310.png]

Eh, close enough.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well, it's definitely an improvement if that's actually official and not a clever fake.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well, it's definitely an improvement if that's actually official and not a clever fake.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Idk, I mean are any of us really going to see this sh*t show? From what I hear Jim Carey was none to thrilled that the filmmaker allowed the fans of Sonic the Hedgehog to change how it had looked originally. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Idk, I mean are any of us really going to see this sh*t show? From what I hear Jim Carey was none to thrilled that the filmmaker allowed the fans of Sonic the Hedgehog to change how it had looked originally. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't see why anyone would be against improving Sonic's model. I feel like people would've been more willing to give the movie a chance had the initial trailer featured a decent model in the first place. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't see why anyone would be against improving Sonic's model. I feel like people would've been more willing to give the movie a chance had the initial trailer featured a decent model in the first place. Errm
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Personally; I feel that the actor portraying 'Robotnic' might be more intimidated by the fact that since the star of the movie looks more the role; it might get more attention from his role. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know man, I've heard he's a jerk so I can't say I would have seen it outside of waiting for it to release on dvd/blu-ray or netflix, hulu, etc anyway.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Personally; I feel that the actor portraying 'Robotnic' might be more intimidated by the fact that since the star of the movie looks more the role; it might get more attention from his role. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know man, I've heard he's a jerk so I can't say I would have seen it outside of waiting for it to release on dvd/blu-ray or netflix, hulu, etc anyway.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If he's insecure about a CG character being a better actor in a movie than him, then that should be taken as a sign to either improve yourself or conquer your insecurities. Assuming he feels that way, of course.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If he's insecure about a CG character being a better actor in a movie than him, then that should be taken as a sign to either improve yourself or conquer your insecurities. Assuming he feels that way, of course.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The way my husband puts it; is if Jim Carey is in a movie: it's a Jim Carey movie because he can only play one role & that's himself.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The way my husband puts it; is if Jim Carey is in a movie: it's a Jim Carey movie because he can only play one role & that's himself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 21,542 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Sequel Announced Moonface 54 6,096 Mar 12th, 2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Moonface