Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

I'm surprised at how short notice this is considering that Nintendo have been promoting Post Malone's Pokemon show that's on the 27th for the last couple of weeks. Anyone else hoping for a remake announcement?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

I'm surprised at how short notice this is considering that Nintendo have been promoting Post Malone's Pokemon show that's on the 27th for the last couple of weeks. Anyone else hoping for a remake announcement?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Not sure if this is entirely new footage because of the poor choice of title for this video series, but it had some stuff I wasn't aware of like having different photos for each rating, and I hadn't seen footage of the day/night cycle yet. I like that the photo editing options don't influence the score, since it would probably always just add to your score with a flat number which would discourage not using the options.

Still unsure on whether this game will be worth $60 though. It looks good, but I wonder how much content there is and how fast the novelty will wear off.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Not sure if this is entirely new footage because of the poor choice of title for this video series, but it had some stuff I wasn't aware of like having different photos for each rating, and I hadn't seen footage of the day/night cycle yet. I like that the photo editing options don't influence the score, since it would probably always just add to your score with a flat number which would discourage not using the options.

Still unsure on whether this game will be worth $60 though. It looks good, but I wonder how much content there is and how fast the novelty will wear off.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Feeling the same way. That's super cool about the day/night stuff, though. Did they say this game was definitely gonna be $60 at launch? Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Feeling the same way. That's super cool about the day/night stuff, though. Did they say this game was definitely gonna be $60 at launch? Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
60 sounds way too much for this kind of game, has some nice features but being tne same amount of a...er, current Switch standard game doesn't sound right. Like not the same as release SwSh. I hope not.

Still not something I'd get. Do like the interaction of the Pokémon and them going on about their lives so to speak, but would rather play something else.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
60 sounds way too much for this kind of game, has some nice features but being tne same amount of a...er, current Switch standard game doesn't sound right. Like not the same as release SwSh. I hope not.

Still not something I'd get. Do like the interaction of the Pokémon and them going on about their lives so to speak, but would rather play something else.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So I bring this up a lot whenever Pokemon games come up between Shira and I, and figured I'd see what every here has to say; what game had the best art styles and what art style should the series try that it hasn't yet?

I would really like to see a game that goes back to using sprites, but in the way that Octopath Traveler did it. I think it would be really cool to keep the 3D gameplay without having to use the 3D models which I don't think are as good as the sprites.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So I bring this up a lot whenever Pokemon games come up between Shira and I, and figured I'd see what every here has to say; what game had the best art styles and what art style should the series try that it hasn't yet?

I would really like to see a game that goes back to using sprites, but in the way that Octopath Traveler did it. I think it would be really cool to keep the 3D gameplay without having to use the 3D models which I don't think are as good as the sprites.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Never really thought about which art style is best. I suppose it's 2D vs 3D or Retro (2D gb/gbc) vs Modern (2D gba/ds/3ds). If so, modern 2D would be my pick, but it's probably because I spent more time with my DS games than Switch and retro without correct colours puts it down for me.

Octopath style could work, not sure what else. Maybe one that doesn't have to transition into a different scene/setting for battles...? But that's like a staple for RPGs and also the overworld would need to be even bigger to accommodate battles and Pokémon taking more space, so nope to that. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Never really thought about which art style is best. I suppose it's 2D vs 3D or Retro (2D gb/gbc) vs Modern (2D gba/ds/3ds). If so, modern 2D would be my pick, but it's probably because I spent more time with my DS games than Switch and retro without correct colours puts it down for me.

Octopath style could work, not sure what else. Maybe one that doesn't have to transition into a different scene/setting for battles...? But that's like a staple for RPGs and also the overworld would need to be even bigger to accommodate battles and Pokémon taking more space, so nope to that. XD
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
To be honest I actually really liked the artstyle of SW/SD & Sun/Moon anything before that I feel like is just a step backward in appeal really.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
To be honest I actually really liked the artstyle of SW/SD & Sun/Moon anything before that I feel like is just a step backward in appeal really.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think 2D sprite work has come a long way, what with how indie studios are making it look absolutely gorgeous most times. I can see the 2.5D style really suiting the game well and it really harkens back to the idea of them being digital little pocket monsters.

It'd be interesting to see them revisit the style at some point, even as an offshoot idea for a nostalgia sell. Or even split the series down the line with one leaning more realistic and the other more traditionally pixel art.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think 2D sprite work has come a long way, what with how indie studios are making it look absolutely gorgeous most times. I can see the 2.5D style really suiting the game well and it really harkens back to the idea of them being digital little pocket monsters.

It'd be interesting to see them revisit the style at some point, even as an offshoot idea for a nostalgia sell. Or even split the series down the line with one leaning more realistic and the other more traditionally pixel art.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
That could be interesting I find that pixel art still has its appeal but I overall do like the jump to 3D.

If there were some more pixel art pokemon games I'd like to see what they could do in a non-Chibi style.

As whenever I looked at the D/P/Pt 3D chibi I dont really like it compare to the old graphics.

I'd say pixel art chibi is the best chibi but 3D chibi just doesn't appeal to me.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
That could be interesting I find that pixel art still has its appeal but I overall do like the jump to 3D.

If there were some more pixel art pokemon games I'd like to see what they could do in a non-Chibi style.

As whenever I looked at the D/P/Pt 3D chibi I dont really like it compare to the old graphics.

I'd say pixel art chibi is the best chibi but 3D chibi just doesn't appeal to me.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I certainly didn't get Pokemon Snap 2,  I enjoy the mainline series anyway. I have plans to get Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl though, the 3d models look cute to me. I'm a bit hesitant about Pokemon Legends Arcerus cause it looks like gamefreak is going to finally give the fans an MMO & I am not an MMO fan.  Eh
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I certainly didn't get Pokemon Snap 2,  I enjoy the mainline series anyway. I have plans to get Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl though, the 3d models look cute to me. I'm a bit hesitant about Pokemon Legends Arcerus cause it looks like gamefreak is going to finally give the fans an MMO & I am not an MMO fan.  Eh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I really can't see Legends being a MMO in any capacity. It definitely looks more like an open world single player experience. Plus I don't think you can even run MMO games on the Switch right now? LOL

I don't see them leaning away from chibi any time soon. If anything, the art style over time has devolved more and more into the cutesy and chibi style. If the split between the realistic and pixelated styles happens like I proposed, I can see them doing a more 'sophisticated' anime style for the realistic edge and go harder into chibi for the pixelated parts.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I really can't see Legends being a MMO in any capacity. It definitely looks more like an open world single player experience. Plus I don't think you can even run MMO games on the Switch right now? LOL

I don't see them leaning away from chibi any time soon. If anything, the art style over time has devolved more and more into the cutesy and chibi style. If the split between the realistic and pixelated styles happens like I proposed, I can see them doing a more 'sophisticated' anime style for the realistic edge and go harder into chibi for the pixelated parts.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I doubt Legends will be an MMO in any capacity. The trailer couldn't even handle animations of the Pokemon very well, so it would make a Switch shit the bed if it also had to animate a lot of player characters all doing different things at the same time and constantly load them in whenever they come on screen.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I doubt Legends will be an MMO in any capacity. The trailer couldn't even handle animations of the Pokemon very well, so it would make a Switch shit the bed if it also had to animate a lot of player characters all doing different things at the same time and constantly load them in whenever they come on screen.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but if you are, Pokemon Unite is releasing this July for Nintendo Switch and in September for mobile devices:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Not sure if anyone here is interested, but if you are, Pokemon Unite is releasing this July for Nintendo Switch and in September for mobile devices:

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
It's crazy that this mobile game is coming out for Switch first. I suppose trying to develop for mobile platforms that have several different kinds of OS variations is a much harder ordeal than for one simple platform lol
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
It's crazy that this mobile game is coming out for Switch first. I suppose trying to develop for mobile platforms that have several different kinds of OS variations is a much harder ordeal than for one simple platform lol
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I just don't get why the trailer favors using mobile game footage and from what I can recall, no Switch footage. It's a little concerning that the version coming out first had nothing shown off in the trailer.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I just don't get why the trailer favors using mobile game footage and from what I can recall, no Switch footage. It's a little concerning that the version coming out first had nothing shown off in the trailer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 24 8,670 5 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Persona (Series) | P3 Aigis The First Answer Port Announced Moonface 21 1,449 Yesterday, 02:25 PM
  Rayman (Series) Moonface 18 9,892 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:07 PM
  Hades (Series) | Hades II Early Access Announcement Moonface 15 6,527 Apr 17th, 2024, 10:19 PM
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 120 12,755 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:29 PM