The Food & Drink Thread
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,537
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 19th, 2020, 01:08 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Ribs are also very good. Best ones are ones that fall off the bone so nice and clean. Chilis makes some pretty good ribs, but I absolutely adore the ones from Smokey Bones. Ugh, just perfection.  Wow
Was about to suggest the same restaurant when reading @Mr EliteL's post. Another notable place here is Rock n Roll Ribs but I've only been there once and can't remember exactly how good the ribs were to compare them to other places.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,537 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 19th, 2020, 01:08 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Ribs are also very good. Best ones are ones that fall off the bone so nice and clean. Chilis makes some pretty good ribs, but I absolutely adore the ones from Smokey Bones. Ugh, just perfection.  Wow
Was about to suggest the same restaurant when reading @Mr EliteL's post. Another notable place here is Rock n Roll Ribs but I've only been there once and can't remember exactly how good the ribs were to compare them to other places.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Can I also add that I fucking adore Oyakodon (chicken and egg rice bowl, literally "Parent and Child Rice Bowl") and this video makes me crave it with a passion I didn't know existed within me Wow

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Can I also add that I fucking adore Oyakodon (chicken and egg rice bowl, literally "Parent and Child Rice Bowl") and this video makes me crave it with a passion I didn't know existed within me Wow

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Anyone ever watched this series on YouTube that compares fast food portion sizes between the US and the UK? I was aware of some of the differences because of having eaten in both countries, but I didn't actually realise that for some fast food places that the biggest UK drink size is still smaller than that same outlets US small drink size. Shock

On the subject of portion sizes, I don't think there are many places in the UK (if any) that will give you a box for leftovers because the portions aren't designed to be bigger than what you can potentially eat, whereas in the US you either need a leftovers box or if you do manage to eat the full portion the waiter will try to see if you're a lunatic by offering you a dessert! XD Sweat

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Anyone ever watched this series on YouTube that compares fast food portion sizes between the US and the UK? I was aware of some of the differences because of having eaten in both countries, but I didn't actually realise that for some fast food places that the biggest UK drink size is still smaller than that same outlets US small drink size. Shock

On the subject of portion sizes, I don't think there are many places in the UK (if any) that will give you a box for leftovers because the portions aren't designed to be bigger than what you can potentially eat, whereas in the US you either need a leftovers box or if you do manage to eat the full portion the waiter will try to see if you're a lunatic by offering you a dessert! XD Sweat
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
UK Large Drink = 500ml
US Small Drink = 473ml
...k   Cry

Haven't watch the KFC one yet.

Sometimes I do wish I got more in the large. I want the US Medium. Athough in our large I swear you can get slightly more as there's a 0.5L measuring line on the cup, but there's a bit of space for 50-100ml more if you want to fill to the brim, and it seemed like they were going by the line only...? I know large Hot Chocolate is 0.4L and there's like no room above it and shorter than the normal large drink.

I've had Chinese leftovers before but I got their takeaway plastic box to store what I had left. So we do or some do, but it's rare like Moony said about portion being more akin to what an average person could eat. Unless it's like a restaurant's special mixed grill where they pile it on, or self serve carvery, or chinese, or what I do at Wimpy or...*shot*
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
UK Large Drink = 500ml
US Small Drink = 473ml
...k   Cry

Haven't watch the KFC one yet.

Sometimes I do wish I got more in the large. I want the US Medium. Athough in our large I swear you can get slightly more as there's a 0.5L measuring line on the cup, but there's a bit of space for 50-100ml more if you want to fill to the brim, and it seemed like they were going by the line only...? I know large Hot Chocolate is 0.4L and there's like no room above it and shorter than the normal large drink.

I've had Chinese leftovers before but I got their takeaway plastic box to store what I had left. So we do or some do, but it's rare like Moony said about portion being more akin to what an average person could eat. Unless it's like a restaurant's special mixed grill where they pile it on, or self serve carvery, or chinese, or what I do at Wimpy or...*shot*
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
US Medium is the best option here, although depending on where you're ordering from, you could be getting an insanely large drink. I find Wendy's offer the largest Medium sized drink I've ever seen. I almost never finish it. Errm

I wanna try true Japanese food some day. Anyone else have a country they'd like to taste authentic food from? Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
US Medium is the best option here, although depending on where you're ordering from, you could be getting an insanely large drink. I find Wendy's offer the largest Medium sized drink I've ever seen. I almost never finish it. Errm

I wanna try true Japanese food some day. Anyone else have a country they'd like to taste authentic food from? Smile
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Same, Japan for me also Chinese but in China but that won't happen and what I've had is either exactly or as close to Chinese food. Italian too, but from a proper Italian restaurant. I was in Italy for three days but didn't the kind of food I wanted. I've had Spaghetti Bolognese from Belgium and that is still the best pasta I've eaten. That coul--nope Turkey food too. I've heard such good things from Moony's parents and I must go there and try their food.  =3
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Same, Japan for me also Chinese but in China but that won't happen and what I've had is either exactly or as close to Chinese food. Italian too, but from a proper Italian restaurant. I was in Italy for three days but didn't the kind of food I wanted. I've had Spaghetti Bolognese from Belgium and that is still the best pasta I've eaten. That coul--nope Turkey food too. I've heard such good things from Moony's parents and I must go there and try their food.  =3
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 17th, 2020, 06:37 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, they're the only place to give the medium drinks in styrofoam (polystyrene for all the European's) which is normally reserved for the large drinks at pretty much every other food establishment. I'll still finish it though because I'm a gutsy pig when it comes to drinks. Nothing beats Wawa offering a 44oz (is that their biggest size?) drink for 99c though. I'll buy that every time even if I won't somehow drink it all just because why would I pay 99c for a smaller size? Tongue

(Dec 17th, 2020, 03:33 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't know if I'd ever want to try Chinese food in China just because of how movies have given me the impression that none of the animals are really treated that well. Although on that same note you can't deny how fresh it is when they take a chicken out the cage and lop its head off right there and then. XD

Yeah, my parents rave about Turkey for the food. Have you ever seen any photos of the food that they've taken? When I figure out where they shared them to me I'll share some here for everyone else who I definitely know won't have seen those photos. ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 17th, 2020, 06:37 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, they're the only place to give the medium drinks in styrofoam (polystyrene for all the European's) which is normally reserved for the large drinks at pretty much every other food establishment. I'll still finish it though because I'm a gutsy pig when it comes to drinks. Nothing beats Wawa offering a 44oz (is that their biggest size?) drink for 99c though. I'll buy that every time even if I won't somehow drink it all just because why would I pay 99c for a smaller size? Tongue

(Dec 17th, 2020, 03:33 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't know if I'd ever want to try Chinese food in China just because of how movies have given me the impression that none of the animals are really treated that well. Although on that same note you can't deny how fresh it is when they take a chicken out the cage and lop its head off right there and then. XD

Yeah, my parents rave about Turkey for the food. Have you ever seen any photos of the food that they've taken? When I figure out where they shared them to me I'll share some here for everyone else who I definitely know won't have seen those photos. ROFL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 19th, 2020, 12:27 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Ah, yeah think I'll strike Chinese food out then and stick with what I can get here. Not a problem there. XD 

Yup they have shown me photos from either Facebook or their camera/phone. The selection they offer up where they go to is insane. It's like they do everything but not in a jack-of-all-trades way but all top notch quality.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 19th, 2020, 12:27 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Ah, yeah think I'll strike Chinese food out then and stick with what I can get here. Not a problem there. XD 

Yup they have shown me photos from either Facebook or their camera/phone. The selection they offer up where they go to is insane. It's like they do everything but not in a jack-of-all-trades way but all top notch quality.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,956
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
My sister came home for Christmas - and, she shared some of the mincemeat flapjack that she'd made. Since I really enjoy flapjack, I absolutely had to try this: it was a nice festive twist on one of my favourite snacks Smile .

I'd say it was moderately successful. I liked it, but it tasted more like a mince pie than like flapjack Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,956 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
My sister came home for Christmas - and, she shared some of the mincemeat flapjack that she'd made. Since I really enjoy flapjack, I absolutely had to try this: it was a nice festive twist on one of my favourite snacks Smile .

I'd say it was moderately successful. I liked it, but it tasted more like a mince pie than like flapjack Tongue .
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I do like flapjacks myself too, but yeah a mince pie flapjack combination I don't think would be for me. Although it's good to experiment/try something different. It's hard to get a good medium too if it's combining two styles of distinguishable taste, or if one could stand out more or not and that's for anything. At least that wasn't a complete disaster in the end.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I do like flapjacks myself too, but yeah a mince pie flapjack combination I don't think would be for me. Although it's good to experiment/try something different. It's hard to get a good medium too if it's combining two styles of distinguishable taste, or if one could stand out more or not and that's for anything. At least that wasn't a complete disaster in the end.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Are flapjacks there what they are in America? I'm just imagining fruit-embedded pancakes and am enjoying the thought of those.

Having a Christmas brunch at my mom's tomorrow. Just the three of us, I'm hoping. I'm hoping there's cinnamon buns because nothing beats Christmas morning cinnamon buns Wow
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Are flapjacks there what they are in America? I'm just imagining fruit-embedded pancakes and am enjoying the thought of those.

Having a Christmas brunch at my mom's tomorrow. Just the three of us, I'm hoping. I'm hoping there's cinnamon buns because nothing beats Christmas morning cinnamon buns Wow
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 25th, 2020, 06:35 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah, nope our flapjacks aren't like that. Why didn't they just call yours fruit pancakes? XD Anyway, flapjack here is like a granola bar (we have those too of course), made of oats with sugar, butter and golden syrup. They can also have fruit or chocolate too and they can be two types, dry and chewy or soft and moist. The soft and moist kind is my personal favourite. Looks like this.

Ooh today we have a Turkey Wellington as the main part of your Christmas dinner. Kinda want ham too as we have that but the Wellington is for 6 people when we have a party of 4, plus we have many pigs in blankets too so we'll leave the ham for another day.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 25th, 2020, 06:35 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah, nope our flapjacks aren't like that. Why didn't they just call yours fruit pancakes? XD Anyway, flapjack here is like a granola bar (we have those too of course), made of oats with sugar, butter and golden syrup. They can also have fruit or chocolate too and they can be two types, dry and chewy or soft and moist. The soft and moist kind is my personal favourite. Looks like this.

Ooh today we have a Turkey Wellington as the main part of your Christmas dinner. Kinda want ham too as we have that but the Wellington is for 6 people when we have a party of 4, plus we have many pigs in blankets too so we'll leave the ham for another day.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wanted to try making pigs in blankets (the UK kind, because the US ones are different) but trying to find the right sausages here is really hard. Cocktail sausages are basically non-existent in stores here and I don't know if the ones I did find are going to work or not.

I also had a customer tell me about this restaurant chain just before Christmas that I forgot to mention here: https://experiencethepub.com/
They have the best fish and chips in the entire USA based on a judging panel from the UK, so I'm really curious to try it out and see just how good it is. The rest of the menu sounds really good too! Grin

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wanted to try making pigs in blankets (the UK kind, because the US ones are different) but trying to find the right sausages here is really hard. Cocktail sausages are basically non-existent in stores here and I don't know if the ones I did find are going to work or not.

I also had a customer tell me about this restaurant chain just before Christmas that I forgot to mention here: https://experiencethepub.com/
They have the best fish and chips in the entire USA based on a judging panel from the UK, so I'm really curious to try it out and see just how good it is. The rest of the menu sounds really good too! Grin
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Thinking about ham, pigs in blankets and meat sausages makes me feel queezy now after recent dinners (OK I haven't had much of a dinner in two days now but Sunday was the last day I ate those food). Feel like avoiding those now but will still eat a specially made german sausage I got at a stall once. I know they come from the same source as things I'll still eat like pancetta and pork ribs, so it sounds weird going off those. XD Or I'm making an unjust decision too soon with what I'm going through. Ehh. I'll see.

Man a lack cocktail sausages over there? I take it they're not popular due to their tiny size. Despite my sudden no interest for pigs in blankets, hope you can find something worth playing the part as the sausage and get to making what you want.

Had a quick look and does sound good indeed, must know how you find it when you try their restaurant. I mustn't look at food for too long though. XD Can't wait to get back into eating properly.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Thinking about ham, pigs in blankets and meat sausages makes me feel queezy now after recent dinners (OK I haven't had much of a dinner in two days now but Sunday was the last day I ate those food). Feel like avoiding those now but will still eat a specially made german sausage I got at a stall once. I know they come from the same source as things I'll still eat like pancetta and pork ribs, so it sounds weird going off those. XD Or I'm making an unjust decision too soon with what I'm going through. Ehh. I'll see.

Man a lack cocktail sausages over there? I take it they're not popular due to their tiny size. Despite my sudden no interest for pigs in blankets, hope you can find something worth playing the part as the sausage and get to making what you want.

Had a quick look and does sound good indeed, must know how you find it when you try their restaurant. I mustn't look at food for too long though. XD Can't wait to get back into eating properly.
Pinky Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Playstation
XP: 180
A sandwich and a cup of tea.
Pinky Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Playstation
XP: 180
A sandwich and a cup of tea.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Chat Thread Mr EliteL 3,908 1,623,331 Apr 22nd, 2024, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  The Car/Vehicle Thread Moonface 0 28 Apr 20th, 2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 240 45,275 Mar 29th, 2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 22,355 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Maniak's Rants - The General Thread Maniakkid25 10 4,292 Jan 10th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL