The Food & Drink Thread
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I keep wanting to ask and talk about different food related things, but I never feel like any of them by themselves are worth a thread so I guess I'll make a thread for all the food! Wow 

Being a general food thread, you can of course talk or ask about anything you want relating to food too. You don't need to hold yourself to just what I serve. Tongue

Anyway, one question I wanted to ask that came to my mind today, is what foods have you been reluctant to try because of how they look/smell, or the name of it? For example, I always disliked the idea of Sour Cream & Chive flavour crisps/chips, because the term sour cream just doesn't sound like something that would taste good, but I actually find that flavour to be better than regular Cheese & Onion. I still won't try actual sour cream though, because I don't feel like it would taste good as its own thing and probably doesn't even match the taste that its chip variant has. Could be wrong, but I don't fancy trying it to find out. XD
Sourdough is another one too. Just sounds like it's going to be bread that tastes sour. Sick

Oh, and since it kinda falls under it, I guess this thread can cover drinks too. Gotta wash down that food with something, right?! Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I keep wanting to ask and talk about different food related things, but I never feel like any of them by themselves are worth a thread so I guess I'll make a thread for all the food! Wow 

Being a general food thread, you can of course talk or ask about anything you want relating to food too. You don't need to hold yourself to just what I serve. Tongue

Anyway, one question I wanted to ask that came to my mind today, is what foods have you been reluctant to try because of how they look/smell, or the name of it? For example, I always disliked the idea of Sour Cream & Chive flavour crisps/chips, because the term sour cream just doesn't sound like something that would taste good, but I actually find that flavour to be better than regular Cheese & Onion. I still won't try actual sour cream though, because I don't feel like it would taste good as its own thing and probably doesn't even match the taste that its chip variant has. Could be wrong, but I don't fancy trying it to find out. XD
Sourdough is another one too. Just sounds like it's going to be bread that tastes sour. Sick

Oh, and since it kinda falls under it, I guess this thread can cover drinks too. Gotta wash down that food with something, right?! Tongue
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
For the longest time, I was reluctant to try any Thai food. The main reason for this was that most of my favourite foods were relatively simple, whereas Thai food isn't like that at all: instead, Thai dishes always have loads of ingredients. Take Massaman curry, for example; the list of 'main ingredients' is as follows:

Quote:Meat (beef, duck, tofu, chicken), coconut milk, onion, peanuts or cashews, potatoes, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon, star anise, palm sugar, fish sauce, chili and tamarind sauce

Although, when I finally tried it, it was one of the nicest curries I've ever had. It really needs all of those ingredients to produce its distinctive rich taste!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
For the longest time, I was reluctant to try any Thai food. The main reason for this was that most of my favourite foods were relatively simple, whereas Thai food isn't like that at all: instead, Thai dishes always have loads of ingredients. Take Massaman curry, for example; the list of 'main ingredients' is as follows:

Quote:Meat (beef, duck, tofu, chicken), coconut milk, onion, peanuts or cashews, potatoes, bay leaves, cardamom pods, cinnamon, star anise, palm sugar, fish sauce, chili and tamarind sauce

Although, when I finally tried it, it was one of the nicest curries I've ever had. It really needs all of those ingredients to produce its distinctive rich taste!
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I didn't think that ice cream & fry's would be good together, but they TOTALLY ARE. Tongue I also love to dip my Dorito's into some cream cheese & it's SO AWESOME. Tongue
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I didn't think that ice cream & fry's would be good together, but they TOTALLY ARE. Tongue I also love to dip my Dorito's into some cream cheese & it's SO AWESOME. Tongue
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 23rd, 2019, 09:17 PM)Kyng Wrote:

I've never read the ingredients for any curry, whether it be Thai, Indian, or something else, and that's probably a good thing since I'd have likely been less willing to try any that my parents make. Although, I've yet to have a curry that I didn't find to be rather boring and made me wish I was eating a Chinese meal instead. Tongue

(Jun 24th, 2019, 03:59 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I'm....just going to take your word on that first one. Kid me would probably be all over that because I tried dipping fries in milk as a kid (which turns the milk into a cocktail of dairy grease) but I couldn't stomach the idea of doing that with ice cream just because of something hot going into something cold. It's like ice cream on warm pie or something, it's probably nice but I just dislike the melting and mixed temperatures. XD

Does anyone have a favourite meal or dish they like to cook or eat? Smile

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 23rd, 2019, 09:17 PM)Kyng Wrote:

I've never read the ingredients for any curry, whether it be Thai, Indian, or something else, and that's probably a good thing since I'd have likely been less willing to try any that my parents make. Although, I've yet to have a curry that I didn't find to be rather boring and made me wish I was eating a Chinese meal instead. Tongue

(Jun 24th, 2019, 03:59 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I'm....just going to take your word on that first one. Kid me would probably be all over that because I tried dipping fries in milk as a kid (which turns the milk into a cocktail of dairy grease) but I couldn't stomach the idea of doing that with ice cream just because of something hot going into something cold. It's like ice cream on warm pie or something, it's probably nice but I just dislike the melting and mixed temperatures. XD

Does anyone have a favourite meal or dish they like to cook or eat? Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Most people adore the idea of the Wendy's special: Fries and a Frosty. I've known people to do that for years, and I've personally found no enjoyment in it, but I've heard that the salty-sweet combo was so good.

When it comes to food and drinks lately, I've been way more open to trying new things than I ever have in my entire life. I do blame my best friend for opening me up to it, and it really just started with the simple idea of "individual ingredients taste different when they're melded together than alone". I would always stay away from anything that had raw tomatoes in it. Mayonnaise? Not a chance. Peanuts? Absolutely not. But lately (with the exception of tomatoes, where I have learned that they absolutely hate ME instead), I've had meals with all of those things involved in it, and they were fabulous.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Most people adore the idea of the Wendy's special: Fries and a Frosty. I've known people to do that for years, and I've personally found no enjoyment in it, but I've heard that the salty-sweet combo was so good.

When it comes to food and drinks lately, I've been way more open to trying new things than I ever have in my entire life. I do blame my best friend for opening me up to it, and it really just started with the simple idea of "individual ingredients taste different when they're melded together than alone". I would always stay away from anything that had raw tomatoes in it. Mayonnaise? Not a chance. Peanuts? Absolutely not. But lately (with the exception of tomatoes, where I have learned that they absolutely hate ME instead), I've had meals with all of those things involved in it, and they were fabulous.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
My favorite thing to cook is bbq chicken, especially with the homemade bbq sauce I put on it. Mmm, so yummers. I also love slow cooked beans over homemade cornbread. *drool* I also love a good big breakfast, with pancakes, bacon, over medium eggs, & hash-browns. <3 I make this for myself once a year cause otherwise I just skip out on it since there's a lot of work making a meal this big. xD

I've also learned some new recipes & am wanting to learn how to make Japanese dishes. I've been watching a lot of youtube so I become familiar with it & aren't intimidated by the foreign food. xD
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
My favorite thing to cook is bbq chicken, especially with the homemade bbq sauce I put on it. Mmm, so yummers. I also love slow cooked beans over homemade cornbread. *drool* I also love a good big breakfast, with pancakes, bacon, over medium eggs, & hash-browns. <3 I make this for myself once a year cause otherwise I just skip out on it since there's a lot of work making a meal this big. xD

I've also learned some new recipes & am wanting to learn how to make Japanese dishes. I've been watching a lot of youtube so I become familiar with it & aren't intimidated by the foreign food. xD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Pasta is my thing. I can pretty much eat almost anything pasta based, and will enjoy it. At the moment I can only cook packed meals (ready made pasta and sauce powder where you just have boil water and milk then cook), a very simple macaroni and cheese and a pasta bake through the oven (buying pasta, and a bake sauce done, cooked in the oven). I am cooking this meal right now, in fact. Takes an hour to do. Want to branch off and try cooking other dishes myself. Have a book to do so and attempted one recipe once, which I failed miserably. XD I'll do another again some day.

Roast dinners, pizza and Chinese are up there too. Chinese is best eaten in a restaurant though, to me anyway.

I'd say I'm not too fussy on what I'd eat and open to try different things. I'm not too keen on anything ridiculously spicy/hot, that would turn me away. Nothing jumps to mind that I absolutely wouldn't eat, but I'm sure there are things. Either I haven't tried it yet or it's something I may have encountered, expressed my disgust then forgot about it as I choose something better to eat or don't eat it if it's on my plate, then forget. XD Oh, butternut squash. There we go, that I dislike. Parsnips too but those I'll eat if it's been cooked well and in a roast where I can mix it with other food or coat in gravy.

Drinks, I mainly have water now. Sometimes I'll have an Appletiser, J2O, Pu erh tea, milkshake, hot chocolate and Oasis.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Pasta is my thing. I can pretty much eat almost anything pasta based, and will enjoy it. At the moment I can only cook packed meals (ready made pasta and sauce powder where you just have boil water and milk then cook), a very simple macaroni and cheese and a pasta bake through the oven (buying pasta, and a bake sauce done, cooked in the oven). I am cooking this meal right now, in fact. Takes an hour to do. Want to branch off and try cooking other dishes myself. Have a book to do so and attempted one recipe once, which I failed miserably. XD I'll do another again some day.

Roast dinners, pizza and Chinese are up there too. Chinese is best eaten in a restaurant though, to me anyway.

I'd say I'm not too fussy on what I'd eat and open to try different things. I'm not too keen on anything ridiculously spicy/hot, that would turn me away. Nothing jumps to mind that I absolutely wouldn't eat, but I'm sure there are things. Either I haven't tried it yet or it's something I may have encountered, expressed my disgust then forgot about it as I choose something better to eat or don't eat it if it's on my plate, then forget. XD Oh, butternut squash. There we go, that I dislike. Parsnips too but those I'll eat if it's been cooked well and in a roast where I can mix it with other food or coat in gravy.

Drinks, I mainly have water now. Sometimes I'll have an Appletiser, J2O, Pu erh tea, milkshake, hot chocolate and Oasis.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
You'll drink what exactly the hell now? Blink

One thing I miss about chinese food in the States is the lack of prawn crackers. They don't seem to be a thing for chinese food over here from what I've gathered, which really sucks! D=

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
You'll drink what exactly the hell now? Blink

One thing I miss about chinese food in the States is the lack of prawn crackers. They don't seem to be a thing for chinese food over here from what I've gathered, which really sucks! D=
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Pu'erh tea (Pu-erh or Pu Erh/Pu erh, damnit I don't know what the exact right way to spell it is) is a Chinese tea, and the only tea I'll be glad to have. Also seems somewhat rare to find in stores, at least here it is. More expensive than most other teas too I believe. I don't get it from a store though, I have it at a specific Chinese restaurant and possibly others if they'll do it. Since I don't want to drink tea at home. XD

And what? No prawn crackers?! What is this? As good as they are, I'm usually stuffed after a meal anyway, so the only time I'll have some is before the food comes I know they're like nothing in calories and light, but don't get in the mood to have any.

Eating breakfast, a bit late in the morning. Do like a cooked breakfast if I'm on holiday, or is an option where I'm out and haven't had anything. Usually stick to cereal at home, I mix cereals as I started to find it boring having a bowl of one thing.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Pu'erh tea (Pu-erh or Pu Erh/Pu erh, damnit I don't know what the exact right way to spell it is) is a Chinese tea, and the only tea I'll be glad to have. Also seems somewhat rare to find in stores, at least here it is. More expensive than most other teas too I believe. I don't get it from a store though, I have it at a specific Chinese restaurant and possibly others if they'll do it. Since I don't want to drink tea at home. XD

And what? No prawn crackers?! What is this? As good as they are, I'm usually stuffed after a meal anyway, so the only time I'll have some is before the food comes I know they're like nothing in calories and light, but don't get in the mood to have any.

Eating breakfast, a bit late in the morning. Do like a cooked breakfast if I'm on holiday, or is an option where I'm out and haven't had anything. Usually stick to cereal at home, I mix cereals as I started to find it boring having a bowl of one thing.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2019, 10:39 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Pu'erh tea (Pu-erh or Pu Erh/Pu erh, damnit I don't know what the exact right way to spell it is) is a Chinese tea, and the only tea I'll be glad to have.

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you just messed up your sentence. XD

I always eat prawn crackers with the food. They're good for scooping up the rice and sauce depending on the meal you get.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2019, 10:39 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Pu'erh tea (Pu-erh or Pu Erh/Pu erh, damnit I don't know what the exact right way to spell it is) is a Chinese tea, and the only tea I'll be glad to have.

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you just messed up your sentence. XD

I always eat prawn crackers with the food. They're good for scooping up the rice and sauce depending on the meal you get.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
The weird thing is that there might be a chinese store close by that you could just pick some up at (prawn crackers) or a store with a wide veriety of foods & could probably find some there. Being in America, we don't usually get prawn crackers like some one in England would cause there's more foods from all over the world in England then in America. (Weird but true.)

My favorite kind of drink is strawberry lemonaide during the summer. It's so good; but some times it's hard to find. So sometimes I end up making it homemade & omg it's so much better then what I've had to drink at the resturant that's served it.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
The weird thing is that there might be a chinese store close by that you could just pick some up at (prawn crackers) or a store with a wide veriety of foods & could probably find some there. Being in America, we don't usually get prawn crackers like some one in England would cause there's more foods from all over the world in England then in America. (Weird but true.)

My favorite kind of drink is strawberry lemonaide during the summer. It's so good; but some times it's hard to find. So sometimes I end up making it homemade & omg it's so much better then what I've had to drink at the resturant that's served it.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Strawberry lemonade, something I was never sure about yet seems like something that might work together. For my taste buds that is. I assume it's simply blending strawberries in with lemons and what else, but would the be whole strawberries or sauce/puree.

Oh! I remember trying some kind of drink, at, at Applebee's I believe it was! Ah damn, what was the drink I had, I can't remember exactly but it was so good!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Strawberry lemonade, something I was never sure about yet seems like something that might work together. For my taste buds that is. I assume it's simply blending strawberries in with lemons and what else, but would the be whole strawberries or sauce/puree.

Oh! I remember trying some kind of drink, at, at Applebee's I believe it was! Ah damn, what was the drink I had, I can't remember exactly but it was so good!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 5th, 2019, 09:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I want to say it was raspberry lemonade: https://www.applebees.com/en/menu/bevera...-lemonades
Assuming they didn't change their drink menu at all. There's no other drinks on their menu that I think you would've got.

Strawberry lemonade is definitely good though! The IHOP splashberry is a really good drink too that both of you might like (assuming queen hasn't had it before).

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 5th, 2019, 09:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I want to say it was raspberry lemonade: https://www.applebees.com/en/menu/bevera...-lemonades
Assuming they didn't change their drink menu at all. There's no other drinks on their menu that I think you would've got.

Strawberry lemonade is definitely good though! The IHOP splashberry is a really good drink too that both of you might like (assuming queen hasn't had it before).
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If there is more strawberry than lemonade to counteract the sourness of the lemon, I find the drink to be really nice!

I've lately been a fan of Fanta's new Berry-flavor soda. It's SO good! Grin
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If there is more strawberry than lemonade to counteract the sourness of the lemon, I find the drink to be really nice!

I've lately been a fan of Fanta's new Berry-flavor soda. It's SO good! Grin
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks Applebee's website for restricting access to GB, thanks a lot. I wanted to see my raspberry lemonade.
Google Images is my friend and I cane view them. Silly Applebee's, you cannot hide it from me, how dare you try. Yeah that may have been it, or possibly the Blackberry. Man, with the Strawberry I need to have all three at the same time. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks Applebee's website for restricting access to GB, thanks a lot. I wanted to see my raspberry lemonade.
Google Images is my friend and I cane view them. Silly Applebee's, you cannot hide it from me, how dare you try. Yeah that may have been it, or possibly the Blackberry. Man, with the Strawberry I need to have all three at the same time. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Chat Thread Mr EliteL 3,871 1,590,629 Today, 05:27 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 239 43,475 Today, 03:28 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 21,527 Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Maniak's Rants - The General Thread Maniakkid25 10 4,177 Jan 10th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  2020 Holiday Season Thread Moonface 15 7,217 Jan 18th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Moonface