What Do You Think/Hope Happens After Death?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was asked this question on another forum in my personal ask me thread and I thought it was interesting, and I'm curious what everyone here thinks.

For me, I'd love for it to be something nice like an afterlife, but I can't think of any way that can work out that isn't awful. My problem with the idea of an afterlife is that you would either be aware of the fact you died and that people still alive are having to deal with that, which sounds awful to cope with. The alternative is to not have that knowledge, but that also requires you have no recollection of anyone you knew who is not dead and presumably able to join you in the afterlife, which to me doesn't sound great either. The only way to do an afterlife that doesn't seem awful is to basically make it be a whole new life, but who would want to die and potentially never have anything to do with anyone you loved and cared for in your past life? Especially since the afterlife would presumably be for eternity, and I couldn't feel comfort in an afterlife when I die knowing it means the end of everything I have and know. To me that's not an afterlife, it's just a conscious version of being dead where you would also meet the end of everything you have and know, except without the afterlife part to live through.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was asked this question on another forum in my personal ask me thread and I thought it was interesting, and I'm curious what everyone here thinks.

For me, I'd love for it to be something nice like an afterlife, but I can't think of any way that can work out that isn't awful. My problem with the idea of an afterlife is that you would either be aware of the fact you died and that people still alive are having to deal with that, which sounds awful to cope with. The alternative is to not have that knowledge, but that also requires you have no recollection of anyone you knew who is not dead and presumably able to join you in the afterlife, which to me doesn't sound great either. The only way to do an afterlife that doesn't seem awful is to basically make it be a whole new life, but who would want to die and potentially never have anything to do with anyone you loved and cared for in your past life? Especially since the afterlife would presumably be for eternity, and I couldn't feel comfort in an afterlife when I die knowing it means the end of everything I have and know. To me that's not an afterlife, it's just a conscious version of being dead where you would also meet the end of everything you have and know, except without the afterlife part to live through.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm hoping to not have any sort of expectation by the time of my final moments other than nothing, so if I have a conscience after that I'm not...disappointed by what I'm faced with if anything. Although that's something I know I can't prepare for as there's many upon many ways to go out, so whatever.

When I think about this though, I always remember what Steve Jobs' final words were, "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow." Makes me wonder, what possibly could he be really referring to, what was he experiencing to make him say that? Was he watching his life go by, was he seeing or hearing something no one else was in the vicinity? It was mentioned he looked past his wife and sister when he said that, then lost consciousness.

An afterlife would be, I don't know, but if there is one perhaps there'll be different kinds? This turns into believing in ghosts, which I am personally undecided upon, as that would in a way explain their existence if they are real. They can interact with the living in some way but yet to move on, another kind is of a form that cannot interact, or another afterlife is in a place beyond our imagination where you now live there (Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, a world formed by yourself). I have no idea what I'd believe in.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm hoping to not have any sort of expectation by the time of my final moments other than nothing, so if I have a conscience after that I'm not...disappointed by what I'm faced with if anything. Although that's something I know I can't prepare for as there's many upon many ways to go out, so whatever.

When I think about this though, I always remember what Steve Jobs' final words were, "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow." Makes me wonder, what possibly could he be really referring to, what was he experiencing to make him say that? Was he watching his life go by, was he seeing or hearing something no one else was in the vicinity? It was mentioned he looked past his wife and sister when he said that, then lost consciousness.

An afterlife would be, I don't know, but if there is one perhaps there'll be different kinds? This turns into believing in ghosts, which I am personally undecided upon, as that would in a way explain their existence if they are real. They can interact with the living in some way but yet to move on, another kind is of a form that cannot interact, or another afterlife is in a place beyond our imagination where you now live there (Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, a world formed by yourself). I have no idea what I'd believe in.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 14th, 2021, 04:42 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't recall what it's called, but there is a thing where when a person dies their body produces a lot of some chemical or hormone that generates great feelings of calm, pleasure, happiness, etc. so it might be that that was the cause for his final words. I've seen it mentioned in relation to dying patients who are normally in a lot of pain or just miserable but in their final moments are super happy (and not because they are consciously happy about dying and ending their own suffering).

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 14th, 2021, 04:42 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't recall what it's called, but there is a thing where when a person dies their body produces a lot of some chemical or hormone that generates great feelings of calm, pleasure, happiness, etc. so it might be that that was the cause for his final words. I've seen it mentioned in relation to dying patients who are normally in a lot of pain or just miserable but in their final moments are super happy (and not because they are consciously happy about dying and ending their own suffering).
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
What do I think is after we die? Nothing. We're just gone. Poof.

What I hope is after we die? A fun eternity of haunting the living as a spooky ghost.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

What I hope is after we die? A fun eternity of haunting the living as a spooky ghost.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 17th, 2021, 07:22 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Would you do anything harmful as a ghost like in Phasmophobia or would you be more of a mischievous ghost that just plays harmless pranks? Tongue

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Would you do anything harmful as a ghost like in Phasmophobia or would you be more of a mischievous ghost that just plays harmless pranks? Tongue
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Most likely I feel like when you die nothing happens because I don't really see anything that could really suggest there is a life after death sure we have religion but they are always focused on how special humans are and ignore the fact that the world can kinda suck at times not because of some evil forces, but just by awful choices by other living beings.

If there was a God that was like the bible that is consider a perfect all moral all knowing and all omnipresent god that lets all this shit happen and let everyone suffer? Would that god be worthy of worship? Hell no! If there is an afterlife I think I'd be down with reincarnation cause that would be neat.

Though thinking about it reminded me of this short story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fcK_fRYaI
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Most likely I feel like when you die nothing happens because I don't really see anything that could really suggest there is a life after death sure we have religion but they are always focused on how special humans are and ignore the fact that the world can kinda suck at times not because of some evil forces, but just by awful choices by other living beings.

If there was a God that was like the bible that is consider a perfect all moral all knowing and all omnipresent god that lets all this shit happen and let everyone suffer? Would that god be worthy of worship? Hell no! If there is an afterlife I think I'd be down with reincarnation cause that would be neat.

Though thinking about it reminded me of this short story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fcK_fRYaI
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Jan 17th, 2021, 03:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:

As much as I would love spending the afterlife choking people out, eventually I'd run out of victims. So I'd probably just stick to being a prankster ghost and if any misfortune would befall the victims of said pranks, well, that would just be an added bonus.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

As much as I would love spending the afterlife choking people out, eventually I'd run out of victims. So I'd probably just stick to being a prankster ghost and if any misfortune would befall the victims of said pranks, well, that would just be an added bonus.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 17th, 2021, 11:46 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

If you limited yourself to one choke out a week you'd probably manage to prevent ending up with a tragedy of the commons style scenario.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 17th, 2021, 11:46 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

If you limited yourself to one choke out a week you'd probably manage to prevent ending up with a tragedy of the commons style scenario.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's true, but where's the fun in limiting my killing if I'm going to be an angry, vengeful ghosts that wants to make the living suffer as much as possible? Haha.

This discussion has sparked an idea in my brain though. Off to the Phasmo topic I go!
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's true, but where's the fun in limiting my killing if I'm going to be an angry, vengeful ghosts that wants to make the living suffer as much as possible? Haha.

This discussion has sparked an idea in my brain though. Off to the Phasmo topic I go!
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I believe that if you do good in this world for yourself and others and accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior then you will go to heaven.

If you only think about yourself and do not believe in God/Jesus then you will either end up in hell for all of eternity.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I believe that if you do good in this world for yourself and others and accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior then you will go to heaven.

If you only think about yourself and do not believe in God/Jesus then you will either end up in hell for all of eternity.