What Did You Used To Believe?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was going to ask what you used to believe in as a kid, but even beyond the age of a kid I've believed things that I no longer do. XD

I can't remember what age it was, but I used to think that cartoons were real and took place in their own world, similar to how Space Jam works. I have no clue when I learned that they're just drawings. Luckily shows like The Amazing World of Gumball didn't exist back when I was a kid, otherwise I'd have been really convinced they're real beings. ROFL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was going to ask what you used to believe in as a kid, but even beyond the age of a kid I've believed things that I no longer do. XD

I can't remember what age it was, but I used to think that cartoons were real and took place in their own world, similar to how Space Jam works. I have no clue when I learned that they're just drawings. Luckily shows like The Amazing World of Gumball didn't exist back when I was a kid, otherwise I'd have been really convinced they're real beings. ROFL
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Man this is an interesting topic well I used to be a Christian and I'm pretty sure some of you remember that! I also used to be believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy, the Easter bunny and all those fun things. Beyond that I can't really think of anything else that was particularly interesting that I believed in? Eh
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Man this is an interesting topic well I used to be a Christian and I'm pretty sure some of you remember that! I also used to be believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy, the Easter bunny and all those fun things. Beyond that I can't really think of anything else that was particularly interesting that I believed in? Eh
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I'll start off with a video game one Tongue .

I used to believe that video games were made in much the same way as animated films. Just like how you'd make one of those by drawing 'frames' and then showing these in sequence, I thought games were made by drawing the 'frames' in MS Paint (which I believed was the only graphics program in existence), and then you'd use the controls to navigate from one 'frame' to the next. For example, I thought Chris Sawyer made RollerCoaster Tycoon by drawing every possible park by hand in MS Paint (from every possible camera angle, in every possible camera position), and then putting the images onto a CD. I realised that this would take "a long time", but I figured that this wasn't really an issue, because "he probably used Copy and Paste a lot". And the thought of how many terabytes (or perhaps even petabytes or exabytes) of data this would take up never even crossed my mind: I didn't realise that there was a limit to how much could be stored on one CD-ROM.

I even tried making my own 'game' like this in MS Paint once; however, I got bored of it after my first 'frame'. Probably for the best.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I'll start off with a video game one Tongue .

I used to believe that video games were made in much the same way as animated films. Just like how you'd make one of those by drawing 'frames' and then showing these in sequence, I thought games were made by drawing the 'frames' in MS Paint (which I believed was the only graphics program in existence), and then you'd use the controls to navigate from one 'frame' to the next. For example, I thought Chris Sawyer made RollerCoaster Tycoon by drawing every possible park by hand in MS Paint (from every possible camera angle, in every possible camera position), and then putting the images onto a CD. I realised that this would take "a long time", but I figured that this wasn't really an issue, because "he probably used Copy and Paste a lot". And the thought of how many terabytes (or perhaps even petabytes or exabytes) of data this would take up never even crossed my mind: I didn't realise that there was a limit to how much could be stored on one CD-ROM.

I even tried making my own 'game' like this in MS Paint once; however, I got bored of it after my first 'frame'. Probably for the best.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Used to believe in the usual stuff. Well, two of them at least being Santa and Tooth Fairy, although the latter I didn't care for as much. Stopped believing in them when I quietly caught my dad coming into my room (well, mine and my brother's) to fill up our stockings with presents. I pretended I was asleep, didn't react in any way, and wasn't that bothered really. I doubted their existence and got my proof. Can't remember what age I was though. Easter Bunny maybe for a bit, perhaps toddler age? I just don't remember ever believing in the Bunny though and only wanted chocolate. XD

Another one as a young kid with no grasp of geography, believing another country was just over the horizon of my view point. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Used to believe in the usual stuff. Well, two of them at least being Santa and Tooth Fairy, although the latter I didn't care for as much. Stopped believing in them when I quietly caught my dad coming into my room (well, mine and my brother's) to fill up our stockings with presents. I pretended I was asleep, didn't react in any way, and wasn't that bothered really. I doubted their existence and got my proof. Can't remember what age I was though. Easter Bunny maybe for a bit, perhaps toddler age? I just don't remember ever believing in the Bunny though and only wanted chocolate. XD

Another one as a young kid with no grasp of geography, believing another country was just over the horizon of my view point. XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I never believed in the Easter Bunny, but that's because I was never led to believe in it anyway. Santa I stopped believing in when I saw my parents sneaking presents past my room in the middle of the night.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I never believed in the Easter Bunny, but that's because I was never led to believe in it anyway. Santa I stopped believing in when I saw my parents sneaking presents past my room in the middle of the night.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I used to believe wrestling was real. Until about 2003. I still enjoyed it for another 10 years or so but yeah. Wrestling is the one I thought of first.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I used to believe wrestling was real. Until about 2003. I still enjoyed it for another 10 years or so but yeah. Wrestling is the one I thought of first.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 13th, 2022, 03:24 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
I think everyone who gets into wrestling at a younger age goes through this. LOL
I got into wrestling in 2003, and believed it was entirely real until like, 2005 I think. I vaguely recall the Vince McMahon death angle being cancelled being a moment where I realized how the storylines were really done, since it was rare to see a story get dropped like that.

I think it's better though when you know the stuff is scripted. If you can still suspend your disbelief and buy into it then it's likely a good storyline, and you tend to stop poorly judging wrestlers who have bad stories or characters because it's normally creative who are behind stupid things and the wrestlers just have to make do with what they have, similar to decent actors being in bad movies.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 13th, 2022, 03:24 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
I think everyone who gets into wrestling at a younger age goes through this. LOL
I got into wrestling in 2003, and believed it was entirely real until like, 2005 I think. I vaguely recall the Vince McMahon death angle being cancelled being a moment where I realized how the storylines were really done, since it was rare to see a story get dropped like that.

I think it's better though when you know the stuff is scripted. If you can still suspend your disbelief and buy into it then it's likely a good storyline, and you tend to stop poorly judging wrestlers who have bad stories or characters because it's normally creative who are behind stupid things and the wrestlers just have to make do with what they have, similar to decent actors being in bad movies.