Cover Songs
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yesterday while driving I heard some cover songs come on the radio that were... not really the best attempt, and so I started wondering what are some actually good cover songs. The only one I had come to mind right away was Sanitarium by Bullet for My Valentine, which was a cover of Metallica's version.

For anyone curious what I heard in the car, it was Breaking Benjamin covering Tool's Prison Sex and some band doing a cover of Thriller. The latter was forgettable and the former just sounds like a bad karaoke attempt.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yesterday while driving I heard some cover songs come on the radio that were... not really the best attempt, and so I started wondering what are some actually good cover songs. The only one I had come to mind right away was Sanitarium by Bullet for My Valentine, which was a cover of Metallica's version.

For anyone curious what I heard in the car, it was Breaking Benjamin covering Tool's Prison Sex and some band doing a cover of Thriller. The latter was forgettable and the former just sounds like a bad karaoke attempt.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
There are some legendary covers that basically stole the song from the original writer. Hurt by Johnny Cash and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix come to mind. But I've heard some BAD covers in my time, and a couple of them were actually in video games. Specifically, Rock Band has a TERRIBLE cover of Ballroom Blitz. I mean, that vocalist is trying to do an impression of the original vocals, and failing miserably. Poor guy.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
There are some legendary covers that basically stole the song from the original writer. Hurt by Johnny Cash and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix come to mind. But I've heard some BAD covers in my time, and a couple of them were actually in video games. Specifically, Rock Band has a TERRIBLE cover of Ballroom Blitz. I mean, that vocalist is trying to do an impression of the original vocals, and failing miserably. Poor guy.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 2nd, 2019, 09:27 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I mean, that vocalist is trying to do an impression of the original vocals, and failing miserably. Poor guy.
I don't get the point in covers that just try to imitate everything about the original. If you're not going to at least play it in your own style of music and vocals, I feel it's rarely worthwhile.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 2nd, 2019, 09:27 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I mean, that vocalist is trying to do an impression of the original vocals, and failing miserably. Poor guy.
I don't get the point in covers that just try to imitate everything about the original. If you're not going to at least play it in your own style of music and vocals, I feel it's rarely worthwhile.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, the point in Rock Band is that it's MEANT to be in the style of the original. I mean, you're playing in a cover band lol. I've also talked before about bands like Van Canto, which do a lot of a capella metal covers (and original works, sometimes), and it's awesome! But as far as "in your own style" goes, there's songs like Luno as done by Death From Above 1979 (which is decidedly Dance-Punk), The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Steve Ouimette (METAL!), and I'm sure a few others that I can't immediately think of (Aside from the two I just mentioned), but now that I'm thinking of the Devil, let me just digress to a song that is on a fuzzy barrier between a cover and a parody: a hip-hop version of the Devil Went Down to Georgia called "The Devil Came Up to Michigan". It's about as weird as you think it is.

Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, the point in Rock Band is that it's MEANT to be in the style of the original. I mean, you're playing in a cover band lol. I've also talked before about bands like Van Canto, which do a lot of a capella metal covers (and original works, sometimes), and it's awesome! But as far as "in your own style" goes, there's songs like Luno as done by Death From Above 1979 (which is decidedly Dance-Punk), The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Steve Ouimette (METAL!), and I'm sure a few others that I can't immediately think of (Aside from the two I just mentioned), but now that I'm thinking of the Devil, let me just digress to a song that is on a fuzzy barrier between a cover and a parody: a hip-hop version of the Devil Went Down to Georgia called "The Devil Came Up to Michigan". It's about as weird as you think it is.

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Usually I find cover songs to be bad, or intolerable. This is a poor example, but as I continuously heard this over the radio at work, Callum Scott's (had no idea who this was until I just looked it up) cover of Robyn's Dancing On My Own, I hated listening to it. Also I only just heard Robyn's on the same radio weeks prior to the talent show guy's version started playing. Didn't think the original was great, but the cover was just worse to me. Can't think of a better example though, and I know there are some I do find much worse than the original. Or, even that I find better than the original, but that's more of a rarer case.

Here's some I can think of though. Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion, plus Sound of Silence. Find those just as good as the originals. A somewhat new band of female metal vocalists coming together, Exit Eden, making cover songs of pop and rock songs. Yeah, the originals are OK in their own right, but I personally prefer listening to Exit Eden's versions. Groove Coverage's cover of Alice Cooper's Poison I also enjoy.

But yeah do agree covers shouldn't really be a straight copying of the original's style, need to put their own twist into it.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Usually I find cover songs to be bad, or intolerable. This is a poor example, but as I continuously heard this over the radio at work, Callum Scott's (had no idea who this was until I just looked it up) cover of Robyn's Dancing On My Own, I hated listening to it. Also I only just heard Robyn's on the same radio weeks prior to the talent show guy's version started playing. Didn't think the original was great, but the cover was just worse to me. Can't think of a better example though, and I know there are some I do find much worse than the original. Or, even that I find better than the original, but that's more of a rarer case.

Here's some I can think of though. Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion, plus Sound of Silence. Find those just as good as the originals. A somewhat new band of female metal vocalists coming together, Exit Eden, making cover songs of pop and rock songs. Yeah, the originals are OK in their own right, but I personally prefer listening to Exit Eden's versions. Groove Coverage's cover of Alice Cooper's Poison I also enjoy.

But yeah do agree covers shouldn't really be a straight copying of the original's style, need to put their own twist into it.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Just recently I discovered a youtuber called mree who has done excellent covers of the Kingdom Heart's opening tracks. My favorite definitely has to be 'face my fears' since I feel the original is way too overly synthesized.

[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Just recently I discovered a youtuber called mree who has done excellent covers of the Kingdom Heart's opening tracks. My favorite definitely has to be 'face my fears' since I feel the original is way too overly synthesized.

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Reviving this for this glorious clip: What if SHINee's Taemin (K-Pop) covered Korn's (Nu Metal) Get Up?

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Reviving this for this glorious clip: What if SHINee's Taemin (K-Pop) covered Korn's (Nu Metal) Get Up?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 2nd, 2019, 11:56 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Well, the point in Rock Band is that it's MEANT to be in the style of the original. I mean, you're playing in a cover band lol.
But wouldn't that Ballroom Blitz cover that you mentioned oh so long ago in this thread have been made independently of the Rock Band game it features in? Unsure

(Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:37 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
God, having recently discovered Robyn's version and adoring it, and also hearing Callum Scott's cover on the radio at my work over the last few months, I really do not like his cover version.

There was also an incredibly bad cover of 12 Days of Christmas on my store radio over the holidays, but I only heard it once and was too stunned to Shazam it and find who was singing it. All I know is the artist was female, but Christmas songs are so often covered that tracking down a particular one is like a needle in a haystack. Errm
I can't actually think of any Christmas song that got a better cover than the original... Hmm

@ShiraNoMai: That might be the best cover I'll ever hear, only because I just never expected Taemin to cover it in that way! XD I thought it would stay how it was in the first 40 seconds where it stays similar to the sort of music he already does, but then it just suddenly breaks into full screaming "SHUT THE **** UP GET UP!". It's even better that the crowd present would not necessarily be into music such as Korn's and yet just happily go nuts over this cover of it by an artist who isn't remotely in the same genre. ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well, the point in Rock Band is that it's MEANT to be in the style of the original. I mean, you're playing in a cover band lol.
But wouldn't that Ballroom Blitz cover that you mentioned oh so long ago in this thread have been made independently of the Rock Band game it features in? Unsure

(Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:37 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
God, having recently discovered Robyn's version and adoring it, and also hearing Callum Scott's cover on the radio at my work over the last few months, I really do not like his cover version.

There was also an incredibly bad cover of 12 Days of Christmas on my store radio over the holidays, but I only heard it once and was too stunned to Shazam it and find who was singing it. All I know is the artist was female, but Christmas songs are so often covered that tracking down a particular one is like a needle in a haystack. Errm
I can't actually think of any Christmas song that got a better cover than the original... Hmm

@ShiraNoMai: That might be the best cover I'll ever hear, only because I just never expected Taemin to cover it in that way! XD I thought it would stay how it was in the first 40 seconds where it stays similar to the sort of music he already does, but then it just suddenly breaks into full screaming "SHUT THE **** UP GET UP!". It's even better that the crowd present would not necessarily be into music such as Korn's and yet just happily go nuts over this cover of it by an artist who isn't remotely in the same genre. ROFL
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jan 11th, 2022, 12:36 AM)Moonface Wrote:

No, actually. See, the thing about Harmonix is that almost all the devs on staff are musicians themselves, actively playing in their own bands in the Boston music scene. Bang Camaro, That Handsome Devil, The Breaking Wheel, and Drist are all bands that have featured in Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and they all have Harmonix team members in them. They are also really good friends with Freezepop, hence why they are in Guitar Hero and Rock Band despite being a goddamn Synth-pop band (Harmonix has a LOOOOOOONG history of trolling its players). So all the covers used in those games, while explicitly in the style of another band, are all recorded and played by Harmonix staff.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

No, actually. See, the thing about Harmonix is that almost all the devs on staff are musicians themselves, actively playing in their own bands in the Boston music scene. Bang Camaro, That Handsome Devil, The Breaking Wheel, and Drist are all bands that have featured in Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and they all have Harmonix team members in them. They are also really good friends with Freezepop, hence why they are in Guitar Hero and Rock Band despite being a goddamn Synth-pop band (Harmonix has a LOOOOOOONG history of trolling its players). So all the covers used in those games, while explicitly in the style of another band, are all recorded and played by Harmonix staff.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
@Moonface - Personally I like Taylor Swift's cover of "Last Christmas" much more than the original. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan at all, but I think she really nailed that one. Other than that, I can agree with you on that. I especially don't see how anyone thinks Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas Is You" cover is any where near as good as the original. It's probably the most overrated piece of garbage when it comes to Christmas song covers.

I don't listen to many music covers, but I do love State of Mine's metal/rock covers of "Thunder Rolls" and "What Hurts The Most," the later which you've probably seen my post about in the "What Are You Listening To?" topic. I like the originals for both of these songs, but I just feel like the metal/rock covers adds a layer of intensity that really fits both songs.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
@Moonface - Personally I like Taylor Swift's cover of "Last Christmas" much more than the original. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan at all, but I think she really nailed that one. Other than that, I can agree with you on that. I especially don't see how anyone thinks Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas Is You" cover is any where near as good as the original. It's probably the most overrated piece of garbage when it comes to Christmas song covers.

I don't listen to many music covers, but I do love State of Mine's metal/rock covers of "Thunder Rolls" and "What Hurts The Most," the later which you've probably seen my post about in the "What Are You Listening To?" topic. I like the originals for both of these songs, but I just feel like the metal/rock covers adds a layer of intensity that really fits both songs.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Rock/Metal covers are my usual favs, but that's probably because of my bias towards the genres ROFL
Yo right?? To be fair, I hadn't heard the original since it came out (I remember it getting a lot of flack from Korn for making a dubstep-style song with Skrillex). Honestly, it was such a faithful cover, and to do all that while doing all those complex dance moves? SHINee members are just next level on stamina. Cool
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Rock/Metal covers are my usual favs, but that's probably because of my bias towards the genres ROFL
Yo right?? To be fair, I hadn't heard the original since it came out (I remember it getting a lot of flack from Korn for making a dubstep-style song with Skrillex). Honestly, it was such a faithful cover, and to do all that while doing all those complex dance moves? SHINee members are just next level on stamina. Cool
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
(Jan 11th, 2022, 06:35 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Does this mean you don't even like Vocaloid covers Night Lord? Gasp I tend to enjoy covers myself and I definitely think I tend to listen to more vocaloid covers than actual vocaloid singing, but this did get me thinking if the woman that provided the voice bank for Hatsune Miku sang a song that Miku sings would that technically be a cover or not? Hmm
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 

Does this mean you don't even like Vocaloid covers Night Lord? Gasp I tend to enjoy covers myself and I definitely think I tend to listen to more vocaloid covers than actual vocaloid singing, but this did get me thinking if the woman that provided the voice bank for Hatsune Miku sang a song that Miku sings would that technically be a cover or not? Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jan 14th, 2022, 01:57 AM)Karo Wrote:

Do you mean people doing covers of Vocaloid songs or people making Vocaloid covers of non-Vocaloid songs? If the latter, I don't really think I've listened to any. 

If you're talking about people doing covers of Vocaloid songs, then I'm normally not a fan. There may be one or two covers I've liked, but for the most part I'll stick to the original Vocaloid versions.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jan 14th, 2022, 01:57 AM)Karo Wrote:

Do you mean people doing covers of Vocaloid songs or people making Vocaloid covers of non-Vocaloid songs? If the latter, I don't really think I've listened to any. 

If you're talking about people doing covers of Vocaloid songs, then I'm normally not a fan. There may be one or two covers I've liked, but for the most part I'll stick to the original Vocaloid versions.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oh your right I forgot about that I was more meaning people doing covers of the vocaloid songs! Sorry about that Night Lord I forgot there are people that do that which I honestly enjoy and find it a bit amusing. I remember I found one of Kaito singing girlfriend by avril lavigne. XD
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oh your right I forgot about that I was more meaning people doing covers of the vocaloid songs! Sorry about that Night Lord I forgot there are people that do that which I honestly enjoy and find it a bit amusing. I remember I found one of Kaito singing girlfriend by avril lavigne. XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Man I can't believe I never posted about this utter legendary moment in cover song history before today. So, how many of you here knew that The Smurfs had multiple albums in the 90's that were full of cover songs? Better yet, they were able to break into the top rankings for singles and albums multiple times in various countries with this stuff. Going by Wikipedia I'm guessing they never released that stuff in the US, which might explain why @ShiraNoMai gave me a  Mellow face when I was telling her about the existence of this stuff. ROFL

There's a lot of stuff that was done but I'll share a few of the ones I think are utterly hilarious: This website seems to be the best place to find all the songs that were ever done. It took a while for me to find anywhere with the songs and I was prepared to look like a crazy person if I had to share this with zero proof to go with it: https://www.televisiontunes.com/search.php?q=smurfs

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Man I can't believe I never posted about this utter legendary moment in cover song history before today. So, how many of you here knew that The Smurfs had multiple albums in the 90's that were full of cover songs? Better yet, they were able to break into the top rankings for singles and albums multiple times in various countries with this stuff. Going by Wikipedia I'm guessing they never released that stuff in the US, which might explain why @ShiraNoMai gave me a  Mellow face when I was telling her about the existence of this stuff. ROFL

There's a lot of stuff that was done but I'll share a few of the ones I think are utterly hilarious: This website seems to be the best place to find all the songs that were ever done. It took a while for me to find anywhere with the songs and I was prepared to look like a crazy person if I had to share this with zero proof to go with it: https://www.televisiontunes.com/search.php?q=smurfs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Parody/Silly Songs Moonface 5 322 Jan 3rd, 2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Spotify Wrapped/Your (Top) Songs of 2023 Moonface 3 276 Dec 3rd, 2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Spotify Wrapped/Your Top Songs of 2022 ShiraNoMai 15 3,090 Jan 13th, 2023, 03:52 PM
  What Songs Do You Sing To? Moonface 6 3,764 Nov 19th, 2021, 07:42 PM