Game Animation Appreciation
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wanted to share some videos from a series called Extra Frames that I thought could be a neat start to a thread showing our appreciation of great animation in video-games, whether it's the movement of a character, their facial expressions, or a technique being used such as Squash & Stretch.

Not that I play Overwatch nowadays, but when I did was when I saw the video above on it and it made me appreciate and notice the animation work in that game a lot more. I don't feel there are many games that put a lot of attention into the way the character moves in a first person shooter game in a way that communicates the character themselves. Most of the time it just tends to feel like some beefy guy with a gun that moves the same way whether it's a pistol or a BFG9000.

As for Jak & Daxter, I always noticed the emphasis on movement even when I first played it, but I didn't know at the time it was actually a technique called Squash and Stretch. It's neat seeing that what I thought that stuff was trying to do was actually what the intent was, which shows that it really did work. Grin

To close, huge shoutout to whoever animated the water in Sea of Thieves. Easily the best looking water I've seen in any game:

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wanted to share some videos from a series called Extra Frames that I thought could be a neat start to a thread showing our appreciation of great animation in video-games, whether it's the movement of a character, their facial expressions, or a technique being used such as Squash & Stretch.

Not that I play Overwatch nowadays, but when I did was when I saw the video above on it and it made me appreciate and notice the animation work in that game a lot more. I don't feel there are many games that put a lot of attention into the way the character moves in a first person shooter game in a way that communicates the character themselves. Most of the time it just tends to feel like some beefy guy with a gun that moves the same way whether it's a pistol or a BFG9000.

As for Jak & Daxter, I always noticed the emphasis on movement even when I first played it, but I didn't know at the time it was actually a technique called Squash and Stretch. It's neat seeing that what I thought that stuff was trying to do was actually what the intent was, which shows that it really did work. Grin

To close, huge shoutout to whoever animated the water in Sea of Thieves. Easily the best looking water I've seen in any game:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,846 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Animation Appreciation Moonface 0 2,423 Jun 22nd, 2018, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Moonface