PlayStation is 25 Years Old
Moonface Online
"Look at the size of that sunbum!"
Administrators
Currently Playing
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (PS4) | Stardew Valley (NS)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
XP: 3,405
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
So today marks the 25th anniversary of the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan.

While we wait to see what Sony decide to do to celebrate the occasion, what (if any) are your fondest memories and experiences with PlayStation? Smile

I remember getting the original PlayStation as a Christmas gift from my parents with Rayman and Street Racer bundled in with it. Then my grandfather got me a PS2 very soon after it launched (and paid far too much money for it and the insurance coverage on it) with Midnight Club and Silent Scope. I got a PS3 on launch day in the UK with Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man. PS4 I got with Shira during a Black Friday sale with the Uncharted collection bundled in it, and I forget if we got any other games at the time. XD

Considering PS1 games aren't on the PS4 Store, I'm doubting many sales will really be happening since it'll be limited to just PS4 games, and that doesn't celebrate the entire PlayStation run. Ideally this will be when Sony decide to tease backwards compatibility in the PS5 by saying you can play everything they ever did on one system as the ultimate celebration of the brand, but I accept that's very wishful thinking. Sad
[Image: sm19-sig-1st.png]
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
So today marks the 25th anniversary of the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan.

While we wait to see what Sony decide to do to celebrate the occasion, what (if any) are your fondest memories and experiences with PlayStation? Smile

I remember getting the original PlayStation as a Christmas gift from my parents with Rayman and Street Racer bundled in with it. Then my grandfather got me a PS2 very soon after it launched (and paid far too much money for it and the insurance coverage on it) with Midnight Club and Silent Scope. I got a PS3 on launch day in the UK with Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man. PS4 I got with Shira during a Black Friday sale with the Uncharted collection bundled in it, and I forget if we got any other games at the time. XD

Considering PS1 games aren't on the PS4 Store, I'm doubting many sales will really be happening since it'll be limited to just PS4 games, and that doesn't celebrate the entire PlayStation run. Ideally this will be when Sony decide to tease backwards compatibility in the PS5 by saying you can play everything they ever did on one system as the ultimate celebration of the brand, but I accept that's very wishful thinking. Sad
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Pokémon Shield | Code Vein | CTR:NF | Octopath
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
XP: 2,912
Fire Emblem (Shiny) Uncharted Tekken 
Don't remember when we got the PS1, but it the console was a gift for us, my brother, sister and me. Brother probably mainly used it at first, since we got possibly in '97 since TOCA Touring Car Championship and FIFA '98 both came out then. Although could've been '96 as Tekken 3 was also out in '97 and I can't remember that already being out when we got into Tekken and then Tekken 2. Original Tekken, coming in a special black case/box, was one of the first games we had along with Road Rash and one or two others. Yes, Formula 1 PS1 game was definitely one, probably the main reason we got the PS1, as my brother was and still is a big fan and wanted to play that.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the main reason we also got the PS2 as a gift for us. Also don't remember when or on a specific day (birthday or Christmas) exactly, but in 2001. Us three and even my dad played that a lot together. A good few years later my sister would get her own system, while I had my GameCube.

PS3 either my bro bought it or was again a present? The first fat one anyway. Might've been on launch or soon after. We all shared but had our own games until Tekken 6. Know I had Resistance: Fall Of Man at least, but I didn't play that a lot. So I was probably preoccupied with Nintendo stuff, or there was game we or I had that I've forgotten about. Both my sister and I get our own PS3's later.

PS4 I got both mine and my brother's. Let my bro have my first one so I can have the PS4 Pro. Neither were one release, did take me a fair while before I was bothered to get one. Bought Uncharted 4 before I got the console.

Really was great playing with family in the PS1-PS2 period. Friends here and there (local and online), solo throughout and mainly PS3-PS4 eras.

Would like to see something more, and may have already happened, or will happen soon?
[Image: Hazamasig.png]
[Image: sm19-sig-1st-2.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Don't remember when we got the PS1, but it the console was a gift for us, my brother, sister and me. Brother probably mainly used it at first, since we got possibly in '97 since TOCA Touring Car Championship and FIFA '98 both came out then. Although could've been '96 as Tekken 3 was also out in '97 and I can't remember that already being out when we got into Tekken and then Tekken 2. Original Tekken, coming in a special black case/box, was one of the first games we had along with Road Rash and one or two others. Yes, Formula 1 PS1 game was definitely one, probably the main reason we got the PS1, as my brother was and still is a big fan and wanted to play that.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the main reason we also got the PS2 as a gift for us. Also don't remember when or on a specific day (birthday or Christmas) exactly, but in 2001. Us three and even my dad played that a lot together. A good few years later my sister would get her own system, while I had my GameCube.

PS3 either my bro bought it or was again a present? The first fat one anyway. Might've been on launch or soon after. We all shared but had our own games until Tekken 6. Know I had Resistance: Fall Of Man at least, but I didn't play that a lot. So I was probably preoccupied with Nintendo stuff, or there was game we or I had that I've forgotten about. Both my sister and I get our own PS3's later.

PS4 I got both mine and my brother's. Let my bro have my first one so I can have the PS4 Pro. Neither were one release, did take me a fair while before I was bothered to get one. Bought Uncharted 4 before I got the console.

Really was great playing with family in the PS1-PS2 period. Friends here and there (local and online), solo throughout and mainly PS3-PS4 eras.

Would like to see something more, and may have already happened, or will happen soon?
Moonface Online
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
There's mostly been celebratory type stuff today. Game Informer revealed this beautiful cover art for their celebration issue: https://www.gameinformer.com/cover-revea...t-25-years

The PlayStation EU Twitter page put out this image of some cool cakes themed around each PlayStation home console: https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status...9541449728
[Image: sm19-sig-1st.png]
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
There's mostly been celebratory type stuff today. Game Informer revealed this beautiful cover art for their celebration issue: https://www.gameinformer.com/cover-revea...t-25-years

The PlayStation EU Twitter page put out this image of some cool cakes themed around each PlayStation home console: https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status...9541449728
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Fire Emblem (Shiny) Uncharted Tekken 
Don't like the liquid portraying the 25 on the Game Informer cover, but everything else is cool. Cakes in shape of the main consoles, and I take the characters too? Ha ha. XD
[Image: Hazamasig.png]
[Image: sm19-sig-1st-2.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Don't like the liquid portraying the 25 on the Game Informer cover, but everything else is cool. Cakes in shape of the main consoles, and I take the characters too? Ha ha. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation 5 | Launches Holiday 2020 Moonface 86 4,978 Oct 28th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Last Post: queenzelda
  PlayStation Classic Moonface 70 9,498 Aug 16th, 2019, 04:46 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoSpook
  Playstation Vita Monocle 5 1,386 Oct 2nd, 2018, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Monocle