The Movie Thread
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,529
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dang the first time I watched that trailer I genuinely thought the dialogue at the end was saying "beat you off" and watching it again now I picked up that they're saying "beach you off" instead, but it's still clearly being done in a way to make the innuendo.
But yeah, I went from zero interest to actually considering checking the movie out when it releases just from this trailer. It's clearly aware of the ridiculousness of Barbie things and doesn't want to be too serious so I think it has potential to just be a good bit of fun to indulge in. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,529 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dang the first time I watched that trailer I genuinely thought the dialogue at the end was saying "beat you off" and watching it again now I picked up that they're saying "beach you off" instead, but it's still clearly being done in a way to make the innuendo.
But yeah, I went from zero interest to actually considering checking the movie out when it releases just from this trailer. It's clearly aware of the ridiculousness of Barbie things and doesn't want to be too serious so I think it has potential to just be a good bit of fun to indulge in. Tongue
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Apr 10th, 2023, 01:48 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Official Trailer 2

Weirdly IGN have titled their upload of the trailer as being part of the Star Wars Celebration 2023, which doesn't make any sense to me why this trailer would have any connection to that event. Huh

Anyway, I wish I could feel excited from this trailer but I just don't for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the trailer lacking something or because I'm just too jaded after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to put hope into this movie being as good as the first three.
I expect this will be the last movie (or maybe even anything) he does with the leading role though, and if this is his last production as a lead role I hope it's good just so he can have his last moment in that position be a high. Although at least even if this movie is bad I'm sure his performance will still be really good anyway, but it's because nobody talks about his performance in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  that makes me worry it'll be the same here if the movie is bad but he does a good job. I can't even remember if he performed well in KotCS; all I can recall about the movie is everything bad about it (which is almost everything).

Here comes the oof: the reviews are coming out, and it ain't pretty. I've read a few at this point and they mostly seem to take issue with the fact it just can't live up to the expectations it sets itself out for. It's not the it's necessarily dogshit but that it just wants to be something it can no longer achieve. Kind of sad, really. Sad
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Apr 10th, 2023, 01:48 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Official Trailer 2

Weirdly IGN have titled their upload of the trailer as being part of the Star Wars Celebration 2023, which doesn't make any sense to me why this trailer would have any connection to that event. Huh

Anyway, I wish I could feel excited from this trailer but I just don't for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the trailer lacking something or because I'm just too jaded after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to put hope into this movie being as good as the first three.
I expect this will be the last movie (or maybe even anything) he does with the leading role though, and if this is his last production as a lead role I hope it's good just so he can have his last moment in that position be a high. Although at least even if this movie is bad I'm sure his performance will still be really good anyway, but it's because nobody talks about his performance in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  that makes me worry it'll be the same here if the movie is bad but he does a good job. I can't even remember if he performed well in KotCS; all I can recall about the movie is everything bad about it (which is almost everything).

Here comes the oof: the reviews are coming out, and it ain't pretty. I've read a few at this point and they mostly seem to take issue with the fact it just can't live up to the expectations it sets itself out for. It's not the it's necessarily dogshit but that it just wants to be something it can no longer achieve. Kind of sad, really. Sad
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Quick, we must forget all about it plus the other one again so all there is is a trilogy and nothing more. Just... don't pay it any attention and hide!
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Quick, we must forget all about it plus the other one again so all there is is a trilogy and nothing more. Just... don't pay it any attention and hide!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
[Image: joo-dee-1.jpg]
"There are no Indiana Jones movies after The Last Crusade." Ayaya

Seems to be sitting at a rather average rating on Metacritic and it seems generally the movie just lacks any of the heart and soul the original trilogy had resulting in something that feels rather hollow. I wasn't expecting this movie to be anything close to the first three but I didn't expect it to be reviewing notably worse than Crystal Skull did.

Since I doubt I'll bother to watch this movie nor care for spoilers anyway, I decided to see if anyone who went to an early screening of the movie decided to share anything online and there's some interesting choices made about events from the fourth movie:

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
[Image: joo-dee-1.jpg]
"There are no Indiana Jones movies after The Last Crusade." Ayaya

Seems to be sitting at a rather average rating on Metacritic and it seems generally the movie just lacks any of the heart and soul the original trilogy had resulting in something that feels rather hollow. I wasn't expecting this movie to be anything close to the first three but I didn't expect it to be reviewing notably worse than Crystal Skull did.

Since I doubt I'll bother to watch this movie nor care for spoilers anyway, I decided to see if anyone who went to an early screening of the movie decided to share anything online and there's some interesting choices made about events from the fourth movie:
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

This came out a little over a week ago but I forgot to share it due to being at SGDQ. Love the little touches like having her float down from the house instead of using the stairs because that's how everyone would play with their Barbie dolls, and that the shower doesn't actually put out water but she still acts like it does. I really hope this movie turns out to be as enjoyable as it looks in the trailers because I really wanna see it and would be disappointed if it doesn't live up to being a good time. Sad

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

This came out a little over a week ago but I forgot to share it due to being at SGDQ. Love the little touches like having her float down from the house instead of using the stairs because that's how everyone would play with their Barbie dolls, and that the shower doesn't actually put out water but she still acts like it does. I really hope this movie turns out to be as enjoyable as it looks in the trailers because I really wanna see it and would be disappointed if it doesn't live up to being a good time. Sad
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just saw the Barbie movie and man that movie is so damn good. It's not just a ton of fun but has so many really well executed and subtle messages. I'd say the only gripe I have with the movie is the ending; it just felt paced really poorly and dragged out. I had already got a feeling for what it was going to have as its message for Barbie as a character but then proceeds to take so long delivering what Barbie is going to realize about herself that it was kinda smacking me over the head with it, only to then end up ultimately not really delivering any pay off at all by just going for something kinda silly that was at odds with the long emotional moment that comes before it. The final scene (which is that silly moment) before the credits feels like it would've been better as a post credits gag unless the build up to it beforehand had been shorter; all the other emotional moments in the movie felt balanced with the silly things that surround or follow them so this last one not having that same balance really stood out to me and not in a good way.
Overall a really good time though and I'd totally watch it again in a heartbeat. Even if the story had been whatever overall it's just so much fun the entire time.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just saw the Barbie movie and man that movie is so damn good. It's not just a ton of fun but has so many really well executed and subtle messages. I'd say the only gripe I have with the movie is the ending; it just felt paced really poorly and dragged out. I had already got a feeling for what it was going to have as its message for Barbie as a character but then proceeds to take so long delivering what Barbie is going to realize about herself that it was kinda smacking me over the head with it, only to then end up ultimately not really delivering any pay off at all by just going for something kinda silly that was at odds with the long emotional moment that comes before it. The final scene (which is that silly moment) before the credits feels like it would've been better as a post credits gag unless the build up to it beforehand had been shorter; all the other emotional moments in the movie felt balanced with the silly things that surround or follow them so this last one not having that same balance really stood out to me and not in a good way.
Overall a really good time though and I'd totally watch it again in a heartbeat. Even if the story had been whatever overall it's just so much fun the entire time.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Barbie movie was so fucking good, oml

Please, do yourself a favor and give it a watch if you enjoy comedy and attention to detail. Genuinely find it impressive how this was all Mattel approved.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Barbie movie was so fucking good, oml

Please, do yourself a favor and give it a watch if you enjoy comedy and attention to detail. Genuinely find it impressive how this was all Mattel approved.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I saw a trailer finally released for that Mad Max: Furiosa movie that I forgot was even happening, and I haven't watched the trailer yet but did see this article linked in the comments that talks about why modern CGI is so bad a lot of the time: Cracked | 6 Reasons Modern Movie CGI Looks Surprisingly Cheap

I thought it was a really interesting breakdown into what the issue actually is other than just throwing out the simple label of "lol shit CGI is shit" like I'm sure lots of people do (I myself have done this all the time if I see bad CGI because I didn't consider any of the things the article presents).

Oh, and for anyone who is interested in that Furiosa trailer, here you go:

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I saw a trailer finally released for that Mad Max: Furiosa movie that I forgot was even happening, and I haven't watched the trailer yet but did see this article linked in the comments that talks about why modern CGI is so bad a lot of the time: Cracked | 6 Reasons Modern Movie CGI Looks Surprisingly Cheap

I thought it was a really interesting breakdown into what the issue actually is other than just throwing out the simple label of "lol shit CGI is shit" like I'm sure lots of people do (I myself have done this all the time if I see bad CGI because I didn't consider any of the things the article presents).

Oh, and for anyone who is interested in that Furiosa trailer, here you go:

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I had no idea until right now that a teaser trailer dropped for a new Alien movie called Alien: Romulus. I vaguely recall hearing news ages ago about a new Alien movie going into production and that it was going to be ditching any remaining ties to the train wreck that is the Prometheus plot but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems promising, but it's hard to get my hopes up for this with how there hasn't been a good Alien movie since Aliens (although I would argue Alien 3 was decent if you watch the Assembly Cut and also go into it knowing the amount of bullshit the director had to work with). My biggest concern for now based on the trailer is whether the movie is going to lean too heavily on nostalgia or if it'll carve out its own identity.

Since we're also in a new year since this thread was last used, anyone seen any movies lately or have anything on their radar they're interested in? ^_^

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I had no idea until right now that a teaser trailer dropped for a new Alien movie called Alien: Romulus. I vaguely recall hearing news ages ago about a new Alien movie going into production and that it was going to be ditching any remaining ties to the train wreck that is the Prometheus plot but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems promising, but it's hard to get my hopes up for this with how there hasn't been a good Alien movie since Aliens (although I would argue Alien 3 was decent if you watch the Assembly Cut and also go into it knowing the amount of bullshit the director had to work with). My biggest concern for now based on the trailer is whether the movie is going to lean too heavily on nostalgia or if it'll carve out its own identity.

Since we're also in a new year since this thread was last used, anyone seen any movies lately or have anything on their radar they're interested in? ^_^
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
A movie I've been keeping tabs on is Beetlejuice 2 and it was just teased recently. It's good to see Wanona Rider is in it along with Michael Keaton returning as BJ. I really wanna see it out of morbid curiosity.

[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
A movie I've been keeping tabs on is Beetlejuice 2 and it was just teased recently. It's good to see Wanona Rider is in it along with Michael Keaton returning as BJ. I really wanna see it out of morbid curiosity.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh wow they're making another one of those? It's been so long since the first one that my gut reaction is it's only being made for easy money rather than actually having a justified reason to exist, but that's because I don't know any movie that got a sequel decades later that was actually good. Hmm

I also can't remember if I've seen the first one fully or not. I recall some parts of it like that scene in the clinic (I think it's a clinic?) where that one guy has a super tiny head or something like that, but it might be that I caught bits and pieces of it during a TV airing and didn't actually focus on watching the entire movie from front to back.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh wow they're making another one of those? It's been so long since the first one that my gut reaction is it's only being made for easy money rather than actually having a justified reason to exist, but that's because I don't know any movie that got a sequel decades later that was actually good. Hmm

I also can't remember if I've seen the first one fully or not. I recall some parts of it like that scene in the clinic (I think it's a clinic?) where that one guy has a super tiny head or something like that, but it might be that I caught bits and pieces of it during a TV airing and didn't actually focus on watching the entire movie from front to back.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Only interested in seeing Dune: Part Two, forgot about anything else coming out this year. My dad and sister have shown interest as I watched part one with them, so we'll see Part Two at some point.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Only interested in seeing Dune: Part Two, forgot about anything else coming out this year. My dad and sister have shown interest as I watched part one with them, so we'll see Part Two at some point.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:46 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Have you ever read the books EL or have any interest in doing so from seeing the movie or nah?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:46 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Have you ever read the books EL or have any interest in doing so from seeing the movie or nah?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Haven't read the books nor do I want to really.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Haven't read the books nor do I want to really.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Chat Thread Mr EliteL 3,908 1,621,868 Apr 22nd, 2024, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  The Car/Vehicle Thread Moonface 0 26 Apr 20th, 2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Sonic The Hedgehog (Movie Series) | Sonic 3 Logo Reveal Moonface 54 17,797 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:05 PM
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 240 45,216 Mar 29th, 2024, 11:04 PM
  The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Sequel Announced Moonface 54 6,459 Mar 12th, 2024, 11:49 PM