Star Wars
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I went to see Rise of Skywalker last night with @ShiraNoMai and although I could put it in the general movie thread, I know there's enough Star Wars fans here to warrant a thread for everything about it even though I expect most people are going to collectively agree on preferring the pre-Disney Star Wars movies. Tongue

So yeah, saw the movie last night, and while it was better than The Last Jedi overall, it was still just OK to me. 
Outside of that movie, what does everyone else think about Star Wars? Anyone checking out The Mandalorian at all?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I went to see Rise of Skywalker last night with @ShiraNoMai and although I could put it in the general movie thread, I know there's enough Star Wars fans here to warrant a thread for everything about it even though I expect most people are going to collectively agree on preferring the pre-Disney Star Wars movies. Tongue

So yeah, saw the movie last night, and while it was better than The Last Jedi overall, it was still just OK to me. 
Outside of that movie, what does everyone else think about Star Wars? Anyone checking out The Mandalorian at all?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Star Wars has become 'meh' to me. Enjoyed the original trilogy as a kid, plus even the prequel trilogy and now I think they're alright. Force Awakens was pretty good but about a level under. Then Last Jedi I haven't seen and probably don't particularly want to nor Rise of Skywalker. Just completely fell off my radar. XD

Oh! Rogue One is easily the best recent film.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Star Wars has become 'meh' to me. Enjoyed the original trilogy as a kid, plus even the prequel trilogy and now I think they're alright. Force Awakens was pretty good but about a level under. Then Last Jedi I haven't seen and probably don't particularly want to nor Rise of Skywalker. Just completely fell off my radar. XD

Oh! Rogue One is easily the best recent film.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I still think they're movies worth seeing just to have experienced it all. It's sort of like not finishing long-running series like Bleach or Naruto and having a finished opinion rather than an arbitrary opinion reliant on your limited experience with the series to have any sort of conversation with.

But yes Rogue One is amazing; I really ought to show Moony it soon, along with the prequels ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I still think they're movies worth seeing just to have experienced it all. It's sort of like not finishing long-running series like Bleach or Naruto and having a finished opinion rather than an arbitrary opinion reliant on your limited experience with the series to have any sort of conversation with.

But yes Rogue One is amazing; I really ought to show Moony it soon, along with the prequels ROFL
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've had a bit of a complicated relationship with Star Wars over the years Tongue .

The first one I saw was Episode I, back in 1999 when it was still in cinemas. I have to say, I wasn't really taken in by it - perhaps because it was back-story to three movies which I hadn't yet seen. The name hadn't confused me (I was fully aware that it was a prequel), but maybe it was a mistake not seeing the Original Trilogy first. Anyway, after being disappointed by it, I just moved on to other things.

I only returned to Star Wars in late 2015, a few weeks before Episode VII was due to be released. One of my friends found out that I'd never seen the Original Trilogy, and he insisted that I watch it. I did, and I enjoyed it (my favourite was Episode V) - and then, I enjoyed Episode VII as well Smile .

I then watched Episode III in late 2016, in preparation for seeing Rogue One (since I knew it was going to take place between Episodes III and IV). Since I'd skipped Episode II, the beginning of Episode III was a little tedious for me; however, I did enjoy the last half an hour or so of it! (Then I quite liked Rogue One: it was slow at times, but it had its moments Smile )

Finally, I watched Episode VIII when it came out at the end of 2017. As a film, I thought it was well-made, but... let's just say that I strongly disagreed with some of the story choices >_< .

I haven't yet seen The Rise of Skywalker (so I won't be reading your spoilered thoughts just yet), but I probably will in the not-too-distant future.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've had a bit of a complicated relationship with Star Wars over the years Tongue .

The first one I saw was Episode I, back in 1999 when it was still in cinemas. I have to say, I wasn't really taken in by it - perhaps because it was back-story to three movies which I hadn't yet seen. The name hadn't confused me (I was fully aware that it was a prequel), but maybe it was a mistake not seeing the Original Trilogy first. Anyway, after being disappointed by it, I just moved on to other things.

I only returned to Star Wars in late 2015, a few weeks before Episode VII was due to be released. One of my friends found out that I'd never seen the Original Trilogy, and he insisted that I watch it. I did, and I enjoyed it (my favourite was Episode V) - and then, I enjoyed Episode VII as well Smile .

I then watched Episode III in late 2016, in preparation for seeing Rogue One (since I knew it was going to take place between Episodes III and IV). Since I'd skipped Episode II, the beginning of Episode III was a little tedious for me; however, I did enjoy the last half an hour or so of it! (Then I quite liked Rogue One: it was slow at times, but it had its moments Smile )

Finally, I watched Episode VIII when it came out at the end of 2017. As a film, I thought it was well-made, but... let's just say that I strongly disagreed with some of the story choices >_< .

I haven't yet seen The Rise of Skywalker (so I won't be reading your spoilered thoughts just yet), but I probably will in the not-too-distant future.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 23rd, 2019, 02:41 AM)Kyng Wrote:

I only returned to Star Wars in late 2015, a few weeks before Episode VII was due to be released. One of my friends found out that I'd never seen the Original Trilogy, and he insisted that I watch it. I did, and I enjoyed it (my favourite was Episode V) - and then, I enjoyed Episode VII as well Smile
If this was all you wrote we'd be exactly the same in regards to Star Wars. XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 23rd, 2019, 02:41 AM)Kyng Wrote:

I only returned to Star Wars in late 2015, a few weeks before Episode VII was due to be released. One of my friends found out that I'd never seen the Original Trilogy, and he insisted that I watch it. I did, and I enjoyed it (my favourite was Episode V) - and then, I enjoyed Episode VII as well Smile
If this was all you wrote we'd be exactly the same in regards to Star Wars. XD
Kyng Offline
Rookie
Tongue

Well, I did see The Rise of Skywalker in the end, and I guess I'll cross-post my thoughts. I figure it's probably safe to post it without a spoiler tag now, since the movie's been out for almost a month... but, I'll still use a spoiler tag, just in case:

On the whole, I thought of it much the same way that I thought of The Last Jedi: it was enjoyable to watch, but I really didn't like some of the additions that it made to the Star Wars canon. In fact, because Episodes VIII and IX seemed to be locked in a tug-of-war of "Where should the plot go?", the Sequel Trilogy as a whole just failed to tell a coherent story >_< . On the whole, I think I got my money's worth out of this trilogy - in the sense that I had a good time while I was in the cinema - but I'm glad it's over.

Also, two days before I saw The Rise of Skywalker, I saw Solo for the first time. I thought that was a fun movie... if you just thought of it as its own stand-alone thing which had nothing to do with any of the rest of the Star Wars canon. It's not a movie I can take seriously, though.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
Tongue

Well, I did see The Rise of Skywalker in the end, and I guess I'll cross-post my thoughts. I figure it's probably safe to post it without a spoiler tag now, since the movie's been out for almost a month... but, I'll still use a spoiler tag, just in case:

On the whole, I thought of it much the same way that I thought of The Last Jedi: it was enjoyable to watch, but I really didn't like some of the additions that it made to the Star Wars canon. In fact, because Episodes VIII and IX seemed to be locked in a tug-of-war of "Where should the plot go?", the Sequel Trilogy as a whole just failed to tell a coherent story >_< . On the whole, I think I got my money's worth out of this trilogy - in the sense that I had a good time while I was in the cinema - but I'm glad it's over.

Also, two days before I saw The Rise of Skywalker, I saw Solo for the first time. I thought that was a fun movie... if you just thought of it as its own stand-alone thing which had nothing to do with any of the rest of the Star Wars canon. It's not a movie I can take seriously, though.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Anyone else watched The Mandalorian at all? @ShiraNoMai and I started it the other night and we're only two episodes in so far, but it looks like it'll get decent. It was a little slow going in the first episode to the point I started to lose interest, and I'm hoping there's more to the story than "guy has adventures while trying to deliver a child to a destination" but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I've only heard good things about the show so I hope it does have more to it than I think but for all I know it could be just shallow but really entertaining like a popcorn flick. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Anyone else watched The Mandalorian at all? @ShiraNoMai and I started it the other night and we're only two episodes in so far, but it looks like it'll get decent. It was a little slow going in the first episode to the point I started to lose interest, and I'm hoping there's more to the story than "guy has adventures while trying to deliver a child to a destination" but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I've only heard good things about the show so I hope it does have more to it than I think but for all I know it could be just shallow but really entertaining like a popcorn flick. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I love that it's very much unlike what Disney has put out, with the exception of Rogue One (and I really love Rogue One). It's got that vibe of "It's the same universe but doesn't have to revolve entirely around magic bullshit"
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I love that it's very much unlike what Disney has put out, with the exception of Rogue One (and I really love Rogue One). It's got that vibe of "It's the same universe but doesn't have to revolve entirely around magic bullshit"
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if Rogue One wasn't touched much because it wasn't going to become a series and therefore doesn't have much mileage for making money and merchandise. I wouldn't be surprised for a lot of things that happened in the new trilogy to have been done in response to what was making money in the last movie. Like if Finn wasn't selling well it would add to why his character got bulldozed to oblivion in the two sequels. Errm

Not that I want another trilogy, but I do hope the reception to Mandalorian and stand alones like Rogue One gets Disney to keep letting these smaller projects do their own thing and get successful by knowing what to do naturally, rather than just trying to boost numbers. The recent trilogy and Mandalorian is like watching WWE pushing the shit out of a wrestler because they want sales, and then letting that same wrestler do their own thing when they finally realise their approach isn't working well and see that the outcome ends up better.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if Rogue One wasn't touched much because it wasn't going to become a series and therefore doesn't have much mileage for making money and merchandise. I wouldn't be surprised for a lot of things that happened in the new trilogy to have been done in response to what was making money in the last movie. Like if Finn wasn't selling well it would add to why his character got bulldozed to oblivion in the two sequels. Errm

Not that I want another trilogy, but I do hope the reception to Mandalorian and stand alones like Rogue One gets Disney to keep letting these smaller projects do their own thing and get successful by knowing what to do naturally, rather than just trying to boost numbers. The recent trilogy and Mandalorian is like watching WWE pushing the shit out of a wrestler because they want sales, and then letting that same wrestler do their own thing when they finally realise their approach isn't working well and see that the outcome ends up better.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
I haven't watched The Mandalorian yet (because I don't have a Disney+ subscription). However, I have heard good things about it, so I might subscribe over the holiday season, just so that I can see it Tongue .

Still, I do hope this isn't the end of the Star Wars movies. I don't want an "Episode X-XII" trilogy (since the ending of Episode IX didn't exactly leave me wanting more), but given how successful the Mandalorian has been, I don't see why a movie about those characters wouldn't work. (Of course, I might change my mind on that when/if I actually see the series!)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
I haven't watched The Mandalorian yet (because I don't have a Disney+ subscription). However, I have heard good things about it, so I might subscribe over the holiday season, just so that I can see it Tongue .

Still, I do hope this isn't the end of the Star Wars movies. I don't want an "Episode X-XII" trilogy (since the ending of Episode IX didn't exactly leave me wanting more), but given how successful the Mandalorian has been, I don't see why a movie about those characters wouldn't work. (Of course, I might change my mind on that when/if I actually see the series!)
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The end of the last trilogy marked the end of the Skywalker Saga, as it were, so we wouldn't see any more with that nonsense in the way. It's have to fall in line with stuff like The Mandolorian where it's just a continuation of the in-universe canon and such. The interesting part will be expanding it beyond the canon timeline. Most other Star Wars content falls in the timeline of the main series, so it'll be interesting to see where they'd take things further in regards to the whole political scene, as it were (Jedi and Sith).
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The end of the last trilogy marked the end of the Skywalker Saga, as it were, so we wouldn't see any more with that nonsense in the way. It's have to fall in line with stuff like The Mandolorian where it's just a continuation of the in-universe canon and such. The interesting part will be expanding it beyond the canon timeline. Most other Star Wars content falls in the timeline of the main series, so it'll be interesting to see where they'd take things further in regards to the whole political scene, as it were (Jedi and Sith).
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think there could be movies made that aren't episodes. The Mandalorian is an example of good content that doesn't need to be attached heavily to the episodic movies, and Jedi: Fallen Order is great too with minimal attachment to the episodic movies too. I doubt it'll happen though until Disney is certain the investment is worth it, but Mandalorian is probably doing a good job at winning them over with that idea.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think there could be movies made that aren't episodes. The Mandalorian is an example of good content that doesn't need to be attached heavily to the episodic movies, and Jedi: Fallen Order is great too with minimal attachment to the episodic movies too. I doubt it'll happen though until Disney is certain the investment is worth it, but Mandalorian is probably doing a good job at winning them over with that idea.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Well the other movies they've released have been considered "side-stories", which is why they're usually subtitled "A Star Wars Story". Honestly, for how forgettable/whatever Solo was, I'd take that over what happened in the mainline series. Errm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Well the other movies they've released have been considered "side-stories", which is why they're usually subtitled "A Star Wars Story". Honestly, for how forgettable/whatever Solo was, I'd take that over what happened in the mainline series. Errm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 17th, 2020, 06:47 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Honestly, for how forgettable/whatever Solo was, I'd take that over what happened in the mainline series. Errm
Yeah, I had to go look up the plot again to remember it and I think the problem with it is that it has to play safe because of being an origin story. They're restricted by what the character turns out as and have to keep a story contained to reach that outcome. It'll be interesting to see if the Obi Wan movie that's coming out will do a better job.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 17th, 2020, 06:47 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Honestly, for how forgettable/whatever Solo was, I'd take that over what happened in the mainline series. Errm
Yeah, I had to go look up the plot again to remember it and I think the problem with it is that it has to play safe because of being an origin story. They're restricted by what the character turns out as and have to keep a story contained to reach that outcome. It'll be interesting to see if the Obi Wan movie that's coming out will do a better job.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The cool thing about Obi Wan's character is he's got a lot of past that's never covered in the main series, just his role in Anakin's and Luke's paths as Jedi. Hoping it's slice-of-life Obi Wan on Tattooine, folding his laundry, dusting off some plants. (He wasn't up to much before the series apparently)

Just finished Mandolorian tonight and damn, I love that show. As Moony said to me tonight, goes to show what Disney can do when they hire competent people with an appropriate and SOLID direction.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The cool thing about Obi Wan's character is he's got a lot of past that's never covered in the main series, just his role in Anakin's and Luke's paths as Jedi. Hoping it's slice-of-life Obi Wan on Tattooine, folding his laundry, dusting off some plants. (He wasn't up to much before the series apparently)

Just finished Mandolorian tonight and damn, I love that show. As Moony said to me tonight, goes to show what Disney can do when they hire competent people with an appropriate and SOLID direction.