Nonsensical Situations in Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was looking at the Resident Evil subreddit yesterday night to see if there was anything interesting being pointed out about the RE4 Remake, since I'm far into the game enough now that I don't need to be too concerned with spoilers, and came across a post that displayed this image and accompanying text:

[Image: WFR8Uh9.png]

OP Wrote:
Just me, or is this the single most illogical thing in any game ever?… like… just push the button lol you don’t need the key in order to push it
I thought this was kinda funny to realize, since the only reason this keypad requires a button to press the 3 key is for the purposes of gameplay. If you could just push it like you could in reality, then there's no longer a puzzle or choice involved. LOL
I guess the developers could have made it require a keycard or something which would also make the security lockers actually secure, whereas this system of security lockers is a glorified vending machine. I also like that if you put the blank button on the 2 key like in the screenshot, you can't use it on the 3 key, but surely Leon could just pop the button back off and put it on the 3 when he's done with the 2. XD

What other situations in games that emulate something we could do in real life have you seen that make no sense because they have to adapt for the purposes of a video game? Or just gameplay moments that exist for gameplay but don't actually make sense to be happening otherwise due to the characters or story? Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was looking at the Resident Evil subreddit yesterday night to see if there was anything interesting being pointed out about the RE4 Remake, since I'm far into the game enough now that I don't need to be too concerned with spoilers, and came across a post that displayed this image and accompanying text:

[Image: WFR8Uh9.png]

OP Wrote:
Just me, or is this the single most illogical thing in any game ever?… like… just push the button lol you don’t need the key in order to push it
I thought this was kinda funny to realize, since the only reason this keypad requires a button to press the 3 key is for the purposes of gameplay. If you could just push it like you could in reality, then there's no longer a puzzle or choice involved. LOL
I guess the developers could have made it require a keycard or something which would also make the security lockers actually secure, whereas this system of security lockers is a glorified vending machine. I also like that if you put the blank button on the 2 key like in the screenshot, you can't use it on the 3 key, but surely Leon could just pop the button back off and put it on the 3 when he's done with the 2. XD

What other situations in games that emulate something we could do in real life have you seen that make no sense because they have to adapt for the purposes of a video game? Or just gameplay moments that exist for gameplay but don't actually make sense to be happening otherwise due to the characters or story? Tongue
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I've talked about it before, but I will never shut up about how Gabriel Knight 3 has one of the stupidest puzzles seen in Adventure games, to the point that the puzzle has a wikipedia page, putting it on the level of the Goat from Broken Sword for sheer WTF-ery!

So, the set-up is very simple: you need to rent a motorcycle, but the motorcycle you need is reserved for someone else. So first off, you make the incredible leap that the only sensible solution to this is that you need to impersonate the person who it's reserved for. Already, this is a nonsensical situation, but we have not gotten CLOSE to the insane part!

This kind of crap was the lifeblood of 90's Adventure games, to the point that there was one essay who said, on being asked who killed adventure games, said "I think it should be pretty clear at this point that Adventure Games committed suicide."
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I've talked about it before, but I will never shut up about how Gabriel Knight 3 has one of the stupidest puzzles seen in Adventure games, to the point that the puzzle has a wikipedia page, putting it on the level of the Goat from Broken Sword for sheer WTF-ery!

So, the set-up is very simple: you need to rent a motorcycle, but the motorcycle you need is reserved for someone else. So first off, you make the incredible leap that the only sensible solution to this is that you need to impersonate the person who it's reserved for. Already, this is a nonsensical situation, but we have not gotten CLOSE to the insane part!

This kind of crap was the lifeblood of 90's Adventure games, to the point that there was one essay who said, on being asked who killed adventure games, said "I think it should be pretty clear at this point that Adventure Games committed suicide."
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Seeing that sort of stuff in old adventure games just reminds me of how a lot of the industry back then would purposefully make games intended to extend the amount of rentals someone would need to beat a game if they didn't bother to buy it straight up.

A few others that came to my mind that make no sense but exist solely due to videogame logic:

IO's Hitman Trilogy
Enemies in IO's Hitman trilogy can drown in any depth of water, including the shallowest of puddles. Puddle drowning will at least only occur if the NPC makes contact with it face-down, but it's still obviously silly. Furthermore, shooting an NPC in the leg to make them fall over in any body of water will result in an instant drowning accident kill, even though nobody would drown the instant their mouth touches water. I'm surprised the entire world in the IO Hitman universe hasn't died from taking a sip of water from a bottle. Rolleyes

Resident Evil 8
Those ridiculous ball puzzles in the safe rooms. Nothing seems to be stopping Ethan from just dunking the ball into the hole at the end instead of putting it through the maze, except for the fact Ethan is demonstrated to be a complete buffoon throughout RE7 and RE8.

Phasmophobia
Want to turn all the lights on in a house? Whoops, the breaker can't handle more than like 4 lights being on at a time and trips if you try to do more! Suffer

Also, this image from Fallout that I came across is on par with the RE2R one when it comes to the protagonist just being empty headed:

[Image: oRiD7.jpg]

Climb through, break it down, surely there's options available here besides picking the lock at this point. ROFL

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Seeing that sort of stuff in old adventure games just reminds me of how a lot of the industry back then would purposefully make games intended to extend the amount of rentals someone would need to beat a game if they didn't bother to buy it straight up.

A few others that came to my mind that make no sense but exist solely due to videogame logic:

IO's Hitman Trilogy
Enemies in IO's Hitman trilogy can drown in any depth of water, including the shallowest of puddles. Puddle drowning will at least only occur if the NPC makes contact with it face-down, but it's still obviously silly. Furthermore, shooting an NPC in the leg to make them fall over in any body of water will result in an instant drowning accident kill, even though nobody would drown the instant their mouth touches water. I'm surprised the entire world in the IO Hitman universe hasn't died from taking a sip of water from a bottle. Rolleyes

Resident Evil 8
Those ridiculous ball puzzles in the safe rooms. Nothing seems to be stopping Ethan from just dunking the ball into the hole at the end instead of putting it through the maze, except for the fact Ethan is demonstrated to be a complete buffoon throughout RE7 and RE8.

Phasmophobia
Want to turn all the lights on in a house? Whoops, the breaker can't handle more than like 4 lights being on at a time and trips if you try to do more! Suffer

Also, this image from Fallout that I came across is on par with the RE2R one when it comes to the protagonist just being empty headed:

[Image: oRiD7.jpg]

Climb through, break it down, surely there's options available here besides picking the lock at this point. ROFL
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just had another one of these come to mind after @Dragon Lord pointed out in our Phasmophobia session today that the security panel in the truck is only on the inside which means you can't ever close it without trapping someone inside. XD

The one I had come to mind was the back of the truck also has no seats, so when everyone leaves a site after a job they all have to stand up with nothing to hold onto and no seatbelts, so they'd better pray the driver never takes a sharp turn or suddenly brakes.
"It appears everyone left in a hurry." Yes because everyone got yeeted out the back of the truck when it came to a sudden stop and died so now they haunt the truck they rode in. Rolleyes ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just had another one of these come to mind after @Dragon Lord pointed out in our Phasmophobia session today that the security panel in the truck is only on the inside which means you can't ever close it without trapping someone inside. XD

The one I had come to mind was the back of the truck also has no seats, so when everyone leaves a site after a job they all have to stand up with nothing to hold onto and no seatbelts, so they'd better pray the driver never takes a sharp turn or suddenly brakes.
"It appears everyone left in a hurry." Yes because everyone got yeeted out the back of the truck when it came to a sudden stop and died so now they haunt the truck they rode in. Rolleyes ROFL
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was watching some gameplay of the Tomb Raider I-III Remastered trilogy from Game Informer and one of the commentators made a hilarious point that reminded me of this thread.

So in the opening cutscene of Tomb Raider I, Lara and a guide are travelling up a mountain and arrive at this huge stone door. The switch to open it is above, so Lara uses a rope to scale the door and pull the switch. Doing so opens the door, and four wolves come out and proceed to maul the poor guide before Lara can jump down to help him. Now here's where it gets silly; Lara is simply holding this rope. She isn't tied to it or anything, but for whatever reason she decides to cut the rope in order to drop down and deal with these wolves and until one of the commentators pointed out she didn't need to cut the rope at all I had never realized that despite having seen this cutscene so many times before. I probably wouldn't have even picked up on it now. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was watching some gameplay of the Tomb Raider I-III Remastered trilogy from Game Informer and one of the commentators made a hilarious point that reminded me of this thread.

So in the opening cutscene of Tomb Raider I, Lara and a guide are travelling up a mountain and arrive at this huge stone door. The switch to open it is above, so Lara uses a rope to scale the door and pull the switch. Doing so opens the door, and four wolves come out and proceed to maul the poor guide before Lara can jump down to help him. Now here's where it gets silly; Lara is simply holding this rope. She isn't tied to it or anything, but for whatever reason she decides to cut the rope in order to drop down and deal with these wolves and until one of the commentators pointed out she didn't need to cut the rope at all I had never realized that despite having seen this cutscene so many times before. I probably wouldn't have even picked up on it now. XD
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So I've been playing RE4R again, and recently beat Separate Ways, and while I have MANY things to say about it, one of the most amazing changes of the story completely blows a plot hole wide open in the entire damn story. Spoilers incoming for RE4R DLC.

Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So I've been playing RE4R again, and recently beat Separate Ways, and while I have MANY things to say about it, one of the most amazing changes of the story completely blows a plot hole wide open in the entire damn story. Spoilers incoming for RE4R DLC.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd be curious to see more of your thoughts on the Separate Ways DLC in the RE4 thread @Maniakkid25 since what you wrote has got me well... curious. Tongue

On what you did mention though:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd be curious to see more of your thoughts on the Separate Ways DLC in the RE4 thread @Maniakkid25 since what you wrote has got me well... curious. Tongue

On what you did mention though:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,109 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 90 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 300 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng
  Games Done Quick Moonface 33 2,793 Jan 18th, 2024, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL