Custom Controllers
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Have you seen or do you own any custom controllers? I don't own any myself, but I've seen a couple that are really awesome: Horizon Zero Dawn | God of War

However, the best thing I've seen was at MegaCon in Orlando just over a week ago, where a company called Controller Chaos was showing off a ridiculous amount of custom stuff, including consoles: https://www.controllerchaos.com/
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Have you seen or do you own any custom controllers? I don't own any myself, but I've seen a couple that are really awesome: Horizon Zero Dawn | God of War

However, the best thing I've seen was at MegaCon in Orlando just over a week ago, where a company called Controller Chaos was showing off a ridiculous amount of custom stuff, including consoles: https://www.controllerchaos.com/
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I have a PS3 one that someone else customized into being Lionel Messi-themed.

It's not just an aesthetic thing, though; the whole thing is heavier and bulkier (but doesn't immediately turn it into a hindrance while playing, which I think it's awesome).
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I have a PS3 one that someone else customized into being Lionel Messi-themed.

It's not just an aesthetic thing, though; the whole thing is heavier and bulkier (but doesn't immediately turn it into a hindrance while playing, which I think it's awesome).
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I don't own any custom controllers myself. Most of them look god awful and are not worth the extra money. I'm more than happy with just having a plain controller.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I don't own any custom controllers myself. Most of them look god awful and are not worth the extra money. I'm more than happy with just having a plain controller.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I would love to pick up some custom controllers my problem is I don't think I can justify the price. I manage to justify the different color joy-cons for my Switch cause pink and green is a nice combo! XD
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I would love to pick up some custom controllers my problem is I don't think I can justify the price. I manage to justify the different color joy-cons for my Switch cause pink and green is a nice combo! XD
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232
Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
The closest thing to a custom controller I've ever owned would be those off-brand pieces of crap you'd find in a dollar store. You know, the PS1 controllers where the buttons are slightly too far apart, and rather than being the typical shape were more like a semicircle. Ick.

I wouldn't buy an actual custom one myself. I mostly see custom controllers touted as being synonymous with 'turbo' controllers, which tend to be frowned upon when playing online games. That or just straight up hacked controllers, which are equally dumb.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232 Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
The closest thing to a custom controller I've ever owned would be those off-brand pieces of crap you'd find in a dollar store. You know, the PS1 controllers where the buttons are slightly too far apart, and rather than being the typical shape were more like a semicircle. Ick.

I wouldn't buy an actual custom one myself. I mostly see custom controllers touted as being synonymous with 'turbo' controllers, which tend to be frowned upon when playing online games. That or just straight up hacked controllers, which are equally dumb.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jun 19th, 2018, 03:43 AM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:

Ah, third-party controllers. They used to be pretty decent back in the PS2 and Gamecube days. Equal to, if not better, than official ones. Unfortunately after that era of gaming, third-party controllers went to shit and now they're not worth anything. Which sucks because it's nearly impossible to find a new, official PS3 controller, so if you want a new one, you're forced to buy a crappy third-party one that will stop working after a few days, or a few weeks if you're lucky. Unfortunately the DS4 isn't compatible with all PS3 games either.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jun 19th, 2018, 03:43 AM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:

Ah, third-party controllers. They used to be pretty decent back in the PS2 and Gamecube days. Equal to, if not better, than official ones. Unfortunately after that era of gaming, third-party controllers went to shit and now they're not worth anything. Which sucks because it's nearly impossible to find a new, official PS3 controller, so if you want a new one, you're forced to buy a crappy third-party one that will stop working after a few days, or a few weeks if you're lucky. Unfortunately the DS4 isn't compatible with all PS3 games either.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I made a mistake of buying a third party PS3 controller, after failing to find a decent alternative. I don't know why I thought the left analogue and directional buttons swapping places would be interesting to try, but just isn't. XD I do have a third party PS2 controller which looks just like an official one without the SONY logo in the center. Excellent controller.

For custom controllers, most don't look good, well in their own way perhaps but not one for me. The Tron-like controllers look the best for me. The Horizon and God Of War ones looks good too.

I think arcade joysticks are the best to customise, being that there's a lot of space to work with, putting images on open spaces and around the buttons. Even home made sticks look interesting with changing the shape. Here's a few I've picked out, plus how about this custom TMNT Arcade cabinet?!
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I made a mistake of buying a third party PS3 controller, after failing to find a decent alternative. I don't know why I thought the left analogue and directional buttons swapping places would be interesting to try, but just isn't. XD I do have a third party PS2 controller which looks just like an official one without the SONY logo in the center. Excellent controller.

For custom controllers, most don't look good, well in their own way perhaps but not one for me. The Tron-like controllers look the best for me. The Horizon and God Of War ones looks good too.

I think arcade joysticks are the best to customise, being that there's a lot of space to work with, putting images on open spaces and around the buttons. Even home made sticks look interesting with changing the shape. Here's a few I've picked out, plus how about this custom TMNT Arcade cabinet?!
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I have a 20th anniversary Dualshock 4 that’s PS1 gray. Love it!
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I have a 20th anniversary Dualshock 4 that’s PS1 gray. Love it!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
That 20th Anniversary PS4 controller is pretty good. Wish I got it before it became impossible to get XD

I love a lot of what we saw at the Controller Chaos booth at MegaCon. They did a nice SNES-inspired Pro Controller for the Switch that if it weren't an insane amount of money, I would've got it XD
[Image: d4UWEfk.png]

I've considered customizing my own Switch Joy-Con before when I learned you can easily remove the analogs and buttons, especially for the d-pad. Has anyone done that here yet?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
That 20th Anniversary PS4 controller is pretty good. Wish I got it before it became impossible to get XD

I love a lot of what we saw at the Controller Chaos booth at MegaCon. They did a nice SNES-inspired Pro Controller for the Switch that if it weren't an insane amount of money, I would've got it XD

I've considered customizing my own Switch Joy-Con before when I learned you can easily remove the analogs and buttons, especially for the d-pad. Has anyone done that here yet?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 15th, 2018, 05:50 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

How much were their controllers again? Wasn't it like $120 or something?

Do you mean switching out the buttons of the standard Joy-Con controllers? I feel like the bigger benefit to doing that would be getting to fix stick drift in the process of changing out the default stick. XD

Also, I saw that McDonalds made a DualSense controller design as part of a giveaway in Australia, and this is what they came up with:

[Image: mcdonalds-playstation-5-dualsense-wirele...roller.jpg]

However, it turns out no one will currently get their hands on one because Sony shut them down due to McDonalds making it sound like that Sony had a part in this giveaway, which is not the case. If they ever get distributed, there's only going to be 50 of them, so as ghastly as I think they look they will at least potentially be worth a lot to collectors, which would be more than enough reason for me to try and get one if I was able to, just to profit on it later. XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 15th, 2018, 05:50 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

How much were their controllers again? Wasn't it like $120 or something?

Do you mean switching out the buttons of the standard Joy-Con controllers? I feel like the bigger benefit to doing that would be getting to fix stick drift in the process of changing out the default stick. XD

Also, I saw that McDonalds made a DualSense controller design as part of a giveaway in Australia, and this is what they came up with:

However, it turns out no one will currently get their hands on one because Sony shut them down due to McDonalds making it sound like that Sony had a part in this giveaway, which is not the case. If they ever get distributed, there's only going to be 50 of them, so as ghastly as I think they look they will at least potentially be worth a lot to collectors, which would be more than enough reason for me to try and get one if I was able to, just to profit on it later. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think I read somewhere that this wasn't even meant to be given out? It was meant as a prototype and then somewhere down the pipeline it got greenlit accidentally and ran into all these legality problems. ROFL Whoops.

Honestly though, there's something about it that's kinda amateur about this. It doesn't quite feel like a product McDonald's Official would come out with, and I can't quite place my finger on why XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I think I read somewhere that this wasn't even meant to be given out? It was meant as a prototype and then somewhere down the pipeline it got greenlit accidentally and ran into all these legality problems. ROFL Whoops.

Honestly though, there's something about it that's kinda amateur about this. It doesn't quite feel like a product McDonald's Official would come out with, and I can't quite place my finger on why XD
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Aug 2nd, 2021, 03:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Wait, that was incredibly stupid on McDonald's part.

Did they really think that Sony would be chilled with their brand name being put forth on an item of dubious quality for their flagship product? Come on!
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 

Did they really think that Sony would be chilled with their brand name being put forth on an item of dubious quality for their flagship product? Come on!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 10th, 2021, 05:04 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Well the quality of the product itself wouldn't be poor since it's just the same tech but with a different case. Although I did see a mention that Sony isn't the reason this controller got shut down, but I didn't have the chance to follow it at the time to see what the real reason might have been instead.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 10th, 2021, 05:04 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Well the quality of the product itself wouldn't be poor since it's just the same tech but with a different case. Although I did see a mention that Sony isn't the reason this controller got shut down, but I didn't have the chance to follow it at the time to see what the real reason might have been instead.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
And today I present what might be one of the weirdest and unexpected themes for a custom controller design: Yorkshire Tea

[Image: yorkshire-tea-controllers-1024x576.jpg]

Yorkshire Tea Wrote:
Picture the scene. You’re facing down a boss with three heads and a hammer as big as a truck, armed with nothing but a rusty sword you looted from a guard.

Gulping, you look down at the controller in your hands, wondering if victory is even possible. And you see it – the reassuring branding of your favourite tea. ‘Yes,’ you say to yourself. ‘I can do this’.

You begin the fight and are immediately one-shotted. You’re clearly way too low level for this area. On behalf of Yorkshire Tea, we would like to apologise for this and any other in-game mishaps caused by the powerful feeling of self-belief our controller will fill you with.
These controllers will cost £150 each and come in a special box. The number of controllers produced is limited, but no word has been given on what the actual number available is.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
And today I present what might be one of the weirdest and unexpected themes for a custom controller design: Yorkshire Tea

[Image: yorkshire-tea-controllers-1024x576.jpg]

Yorkshire Tea Wrote:
Picture the scene. You’re facing down a boss with three heads and a hammer as big as a truck, armed with nothing but a rusty sword you looted from a guard.

Gulping, you look down at the controller in your hands, wondering if victory is even possible. And you see it – the reassuring branding of your favourite tea. ‘Yes,’ you say to yourself. ‘I can do this’.

You begin the fight and are immediately one-shotted. You’re clearly way too low level for this area. On behalf of Yorkshire Tea, we would like to apologise for this and any other in-game mishaps caused by the powerful feeling of self-belief our controller will fill you with.
These controllers will cost £150 each and come in a special box. The number of controllers produced is limited, but no word has been given on what the actual number available is.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
It tickles me that of all the controllers to choose, the PlayStation one was chosen. I wonder why. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
It tickles me that of all the controllers to choose, the PlayStation one was chosen. I wonder why. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controllers, Keyboards, Mice, etc. Moonface 29 7,013 Dec 9th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,612 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Would You Ever Trade Your Console for a Custom One? Moonface 10 2,232 Sep 28th, 2022, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Moonface