Sounds in Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Last night I started another playthrough of Breath of the Wild because I got a copy of it cheap for Switch, and hearing the little jingle that plays when you pick up an item and get the description box for it made me feel really happy. So that got me thinking about other sounds in games, which I think is often overlooked in favour of game soundtracks instead.

So what sounds have you loved hearing in a game, found memorable, or perhaps found to actually be really bad?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Last night I started another playthrough of Breath of the Wild because I got a copy of it cheap for Switch, and hearing the little jingle that plays when you pick up an item and get the description box for it made me feel really happy. So that got me thinking about other sounds in games, which I think is often overlooked in favour of game soundtracks instead.

So what sounds have you loved hearing in a game, found memorable, or perhaps found to actually be really bad?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Breath of the Wild has some great sound design, aside from the actual sounds themselves. If the Switch supported surround sound, it'd be such a treat trying to sneak on a campsite or such.

I've grown attached to the unique little quirks and effects made in Animal Crossing. These are very much games that rely on sound cues to imply emotions across languages and I find it very clever.

There's also sounds I found to be bad but they're intentionally bad, such as the low HP sound in Pokemon games (which, over time, they've made a change to not make it repetitive), or baby Mario's cry in Yoshi's Island: all sounds intended to make the player want to halt the action, as a form of negative reinforcement.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Breath of the Wild has some great sound design, aside from the actual sounds themselves. If the Switch supported surround sound, it'd be such a treat trying to sneak on a campsite or such.

I've grown attached to the unique little quirks and effects made in Animal Crossing. These are very much games that rely on sound cues to imply emotions across languages and I find it very clever.

There's also sounds I found to be bad but they're intentionally bad, such as the low HP sound in Pokemon games (which, over time, they've made a change to not make it repetitive), or baby Mario's cry in Yoshi's Island: all sounds intended to make the player want to halt the action, as a form of negative reinforcement.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The worst negative health/status sound I've heard in a game goes to Luigi's Mansion 3. Having low health in that game is the most punishing and obnoxious sound I've ever heard.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The worst negative health/status sound I've heard in a game goes to Luigi's Mansion 3. Having low health in that game is the most punishing and obnoxious sound I've ever heard.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
The ring sound in the Sonic games have been one to remember for sure.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
The ring sound in the Sonic games have been one to remember for sure.
Katie2022 Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,133
Sometimes I play games with the sound off. I guess I'm not getting the full effect that way, but I'm also not bothering anyone in the household.
Katie2022 Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,133
Sometimes I play games with the sound off. I guess I'm not getting the full effect that way, but I'm also not bothering anyone in the household.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2022, 11:57 PM)Katie2022 Wrote:
You ever considered using headphones so you can still hear the game without it affecting anyone else?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2022, 11:57 PM)Katie2022 Wrote:
You ever considered using headphones so you can still hear the game without it affecting anyone else?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,109 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 90 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 724 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 300 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng