[BREAKING] News Thread
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
For how huge Twitter is, I'm surprised it went for less than what Activision could be bought for by Microsoft. I'd have expected a social media company that is used by millions would be worth a lot more than a game company that isn't going to have nearly as much reach or as many people buying/using its products.

I also wonder what happens to the money in things like this. Like how does that $45 billion get distributed? Does it all go to various people, or does some get stuffed into a piggy bank as some sort of fund that has to stay attached to the company and can't be cashed out? Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
For how huge Twitter is, I'm surprised it went for less than what Activision could be bought for by Microsoft. I'd have expected a social media company that is used by millions would be worth a lot more than a game company that isn't going to have nearly as much reach or as many people buying/using its products.

I also wonder what happens to the money in things like this. Like how does that $45 billion get distributed? Does it all go to various people, or does some get stuffed into a piggy bank as some sort of fund that has to stay attached to the company and can't be cashed out? Unsure
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
New Monkeypox Outbreak From Non-Endemic Countries

Per the WHO, a new outbreak of monkeypox has begun spreading amongst at least 12 non-endemic (meaning, didn't originate in) countries, with most being from Europe or Australia. One confirmed positive case was founded in The United States in Massachusetts, while a few other "suspected" cases have been cropping up in other states like Washington, Florida and Utah. So far, the cases have been found amongst men who've had sex with other men, but it is and has been possible to transmit amongst all other people just as easily.

Here's a small fact sheet to break down what it is and how it transmits:

• A viral zoonosis (a virus transmitted to humans from animals) with symptoms very similar to those seen in the past in smallpox patients, although it is clinically less severe:
    • An unexplained acute rash (main identifying symptom)
    • Headache
    • Acute onset of fever (>38.5°C),
    • Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes)
    • Myalgia (muscle and body aches)
    • Back pain
    • Asthenia (profound weakness)

• It is transmitted from one person to another by close contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials such as bedding.

• It's usually self-limiting but may be severe in some individuals, such as children, pregnant women or persons with immune suppression due to other health conditions. Human infections with the West African clade appear to cause less severe disease compared to the Congo Basin clade, with a case fatality rate of 3.6% compared to 10.6% for the Congo Basin clade.

• Vaccination for monkeypox, where available, is being deployed to manage close contacts, such as health workers. WHO is convening experts to discuss recommendations on vaccination.

• The name "monkeypox" originates from the initial discovery of the virus in monkeys in a Danish laboratory in 1958. The first human case was identified in a child in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1970.

• So far, there have been no deaths associated with this outbreak.

The WHO Wrote:
The situation is evolving and WHO expects there will be more cases of monkeypox identified as surveillance expands in non-endemic countries. Immediate actions focus on informing those most at risk for monkeypox infection with accurate information, stopping further spread and protecting frontline workers.

The main reason this is causing small concern is because this has largely been founded as being non-endemic, which is strange for an already-known virus. It's nothing to fear or whatnot, but it's something to keep an eye on. My conclusion is to just practice safe sex and wash your hands regularly (which you already should, but I know y'all some nasty bitches). Hopefully this will just come and go. Sweat

Source: The WHO
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
New Monkeypox Outbreak From Non-Endemic Countries

Per the WHO, a new outbreak of monkeypox has begun spreading amongst at least 12 non-endemic (meaning, didn't originate in) countries, with most being from Europe or Australia. One confirmed positive case was founded in The United States in Massachusetts, while a few other "suspected" cases have been cropping up in other states like Washington, Florida and Utah. So far, the cases have been found amongst men who've had sex with other men, but it is and has been possible to transmit amongst all other people just as easily.

Here's a small fact sheet to break down what it is and how it transmits:

• A viral zoonosis (a virus transmitted to humans from animals) with symptoms very similar to those seen in the past in smallpox patients, although it is clinically less severe:
    • An unexplained acute rash (main identifying symptom)
    • Headache
    • Acute onset of fever (>38.5°C),
    • Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes)
    • Myalgia (muscle and body aches)
    • Back pain
    • Asthenia (profound weakness)

• It is transmitted from one person to another by close contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials such as bedding.

• It's usually self-limiting but may be severe in some individuals, such as children, pregnant women or persons with immune suppression due to other health conditions. Human infections with the West African clade appear to cause less severe disease compared to the Congo Basin clade, with a case fatality rate of 3.6% compared to 10.6% for the Congo Basin clade.

• Vaccination for monkeypox, where available, is being deployed to manage close contacts, such as health workers. WHO is convening experts to discuss recommendations on vaccination.

• The name "monkeypox" originates from the initial discovery of the virus in monkeys in a Danish laboratory in 1958. The first human case was identified in a child in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1970.

• So far, there have been no deaths associated with this outbreak.

The WHO Wrote:
The situation is evolving and WHO expects there will be more cases of monkeypox identified as surveillance expands in non-endemic countries. Immediate actions focus on informing those most at risk for monkeypox infection with accurate information, stopping further spread and protecting frontline workers.

The main reason this is causing small concern is because this has largely been founded as being non-endemic, which is strange for an already-known virus. It's nothing to fear or whatnot, but it's something to keep an eye on. My conclusion is to just practice safe sex and wash your hands regularly (which you already should, but I know y'all some nasty bitches). Hopefully this will just come and go. Sweat

Source: The WHO
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How did something that went for this long as non-endemic manage to now start spreading into the countries it isn't found in? Seems unlikely that everyone who has it managed to go to a country that normally has this disease at the same time and all do something to end up contracting it. I'm less concerned about the virus and more concerned about how this even managed to happen. Unsure

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How did something that went for this long as non-endemic manage to now start spreading into the countries it isn't found in? Seems unlikely that everyone who has it managed to go to a country that normally has this disease at the same time and all do something to end up contracting it. I'm less concerned about the virus and more concerned about how this even managed to happen. Unsure
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I still can't believe that Roe v. Wade got overturned and that states can just ban (safe) abortion after 50 years of it being protected.
Even better is that one of the Supreme Court members has already said he wants to push through reevaluating the cases that defend gay marriage and such too so it's only going to get worse for people. Meh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I still can't believe that Roe v. Wade got overturned and that states can just ban (safe) abortion after 50 years of it being protected.
Even better is that one of the Supreme Court members has already said he wants to push through reevaluating the cases that defend gay marriage and such too so it's only going to get worse for people. Meh
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Yeah, I was pretty much doomscrolling whenever on Twitter yesterday and I honestly feel pretty scared right now. I feel like it can really only get worst from here and I feel like the political fabric of America are getting even worst. You got GOP Texas doubling down on the Trump in winning the Election, saying they want to leave and doing the same old creepy shit they always want to push now with new anti-trans flavor! It feel like things are more divisive than ever but that could be the fear talking.

People are incredibly angry and they should be the system has constantly failed them and if they get pregnant they are no longer safe. A retarded politician that has no idea how pregnancy works could prevent you from getting an abortion to save your life because he thinks the fetus can be saved. Rolleyes If your poor and can't afford a kid right now? Tough luck your now poorer than ever? Think of all the newly fresh born children that won't ever be adopted and grow up in a unloving government facility!  Wow God bless America truly the greatest country on earth! All hail the death cult of Chrst! If you don't like it just leave ROFL 

Oh one thing I do begrudgingly appreciate some company will pay for you to go to a state that does alllow abortions to have it, but it like........I don't think the company should be the health insurance I'd rather us have health care so we don't have to worry about leaving said company with good healthcare especially if their work culture is shit. Errm

On the brightside if things get worst America splitting apart might be the greatest thing to ever happen for the rest of the countries in the world. No more scary warmongering nation threatening to beat you up if you do something they dislike or at least not as effectively as they once did so. Errm 

PS: Sorry just lots of fear right now.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Yeah, I was pretty much doomscrolling whenever on Twitter yesterday and I honestly feel pretty scared right now. I feel like it can really only get worst from here and I feel like the political fabric of America are getting even worst. You got GOP Texas doubling down on the Trump in winning the Election, saying they want to leave and doing the same old creepy shit they always want to push now with new anti-trans flavor! It feel like things are more divisive than ever but that could be the fear talking.

People are incredibly angry and they should be the system has constantly failed them and if they get pregnant they are no longer safe. A retarded politician that has no idea how pregnancy works could prevent you from getting an abortion to save your life because he thinks the fetus can be saved. Rolleyes If your poor and can't afford a kid right now? Tough luck your now poorer than ever? Think of all the newly fresh born children that won't ever be adopted and grow up in a unloving government facility!  Wow God bless America truly the greatest country on earth! All hail the death cult of Chrst! If you don't like it just leave ROFL 

Oh one thing I do begrudgingly appreciate some company will pay for you to go to a state that does alllow abortions to have it, but it like........I don't think the company should be the health insurance I'd rather us have health care so we don't have to worry about leaving said company with good healthcare especially if their work culture is shit. Errm

On the brightside if things get worst America splitting apart might be the greatest thing to ever happen for the rest of the countries in the world. No more scary warmongering nation threatening to beat you up if you do something they dislike or at least not as effectively as they once did so. Errm 

PS: Sorry just lots of fear right now.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 25th, 2022, 06:09 PM)Karo Wrote:
The whole leaving stuff Texas spouts is just a cover for other things they want to do but want attention taken away from it. I did read what was in the same document that was actually worth taking note of but I can't remember it for the life of me right now. >.<

This is also only any good for anyone who works full time since most companies don't offer health insurance to their part timers.

It'll be interesting to see how many politicians use abortion rights as their main talking point in their respective next elections. Just the amount of attention this decision has created in less than a day just screams of easy material to build a campaign on and look appealing to try and win power in a state with it. It's entirely dumb though because in the worst case a state is just going to keep switching back and forth between having a ban and not having a ban. Rolleyes

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The whole leaving stuff Texas spouts is just a cover for other things they want to do but want attention taken away from it. I did read what was in the same document that was actually worth taking note of but I can't remember it for the life of me right now. >.<

This is also only any good for anyone who works full time since most companies don't offer health insurance to their part timers.

It'll be interesting to see how many politicians use abortion rights as their main talking point in their respective next elections. Just the amount of attention this decision has created in less than a day just screams of easy material to build a campaign on and look appealing to try and win power in a state with it. It's entirely dumb though because in the worst case a state is just going to keep switching back and forth between having a ban and not having a ban. Rolleyes
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The main reason why I am thinking its a good threat is I'm assuming since its a GOP platform of Texas while I doubt the GOP of Texas is the majority of Texas it is the Majority of GOP there I'm assuming so it like....are they going to try to leave the union and if so does that mean other states are going to try to leave resulting in another civil war? I would of course take my rambling with a grain of salt I am a scared person right now so I don't know if I should be taking that seriously or not.

Oh yeah that true so either way everyone is fucked.  I really hate how politics have to be people's rights to safety, Can't it be about the best way to combat climate change or something that could actually have any meaning to debate instead of whether people should be able to have control of their own bodies, their own privacy, who they love, and who they are as a person. It been the same old shit for years....and it feel like we are going to be taking a huge step backward. Shock
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The main reason why I am thinking its a good threat is I'm assuming since its a GOP platform of Texas while I doubt the GOP of Texas is the majority of Texas it is the Majority of GOP there I'm assuming so it like....are they going to try to leave the union and if so does that mean other states are going to try to leave resulting in another civil war? I would of course take my rambling with a grain of salt I am a scared person right now so I don't know if I should be taking that seriously or not.

Oh yeah that true so either way everyone is fucked.  I really hate how politics have to be people's rights to safety, Can't it be about the best way to combat climate change or something that could actually have any meaning to debate instead of whether people should be able to have control of their own bodies, their own privacy, who they love, and who they are as a person. It been the same old shit for years....and it feel like we are going to be taking a huge step backward. Shock
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I read that Texas has made that claim before and didn't act on it, instead trying to act on other things that were hidden behind that attention grabbing claim. Texas can't even manage its own power grid; it wouldn't last five minutes if it left the US and lost all funding and programs given to it by the US. It would be a bigger shot in the foot than Brexit. XD

I just don't see why people feel the need to care what others want to do with their bodies and lives so long as it doesn't hurt someone else or themselves.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I read that Texas has made that claim before and didn't act on it, instead trying to act on other things that were hidden behind that attention grabbing claim. Texas can't even manage its own power grid; it wouldn't last five minutes if it left the US and lost all funding and programs given to it by the US. It would be a bigger shot in the foot than Brexit. XD

I just don't see why people feel the need to care what others want to do with their bodies and lives so long as it doesn't hurt someone else or themselves.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Speaking of Texas, someone thinks they are f***ing funny there. So, former president Barack Obama made a tweet lamenting the Supreme Court decision. This was the response from a STATE SENATOR! A PERSON PEOPLE VOTED INTO OFFICE SAID THIS! THIS IS A MAN ACTIVELY HOLDING OFFICE, I HAVE TO RE-ITERATE THIS!

Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Speaking of Texas, someone thinks they are f***ing funny there. So, former president Barack Obama made a tweet lamenting the Supreme Court decision. This was the response from a STATE SENATOR! A PERSON PEOPLE VOTED INTO OFFICE SAID THIS! THIS IS A MAN ACTIVELY HOLDING OFFICE, I HAVE TO RE-ITERATE THIS!

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I had to refresh my memory on those cases, but even if that comment is somehow a joke it's in awful taste. Errm
It would be bad to suggest it period, but I feel like specifically saying it to someone else who it would obviously affect is taking it an unnecessary step further than the first unnecessary step of suggesting it at all. What really sucks is the comment was clearly made because the guy knows nothing negative will happen to him for it. Eh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I had to refresh my memory on those cases, but even if that comment is somehow a joke it's in awful taste. Errm
It would be bad to suggest it period, but I feel like specifically saying it to someone else who it would obviously affect is taking it an unnecessary step further than the first unnecessary step of suggesting it at all. What really sucks is the comment was clearly made because the guy knows nothing negative will happen to him for it. Eh
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Boris Johnson is apparently stepping down from Prime Minister and leader of the Tori in the UK. Gasp This came with lot of resignations from his cabinet due to his covering up of sex abuse stuff I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

[Image: FXEuoKMXkAEc6sZ?format=jpg&name=large]

I learned about this on twitter so don't really know much other than this.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Boris Johnson is apparently stepping down from Prime Minister and leader of the Tori in the UK. Gasp This came with lot of resignations from his cabinet due to his covering up of sex abuse stuff I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

[Image: FXEuoKMXkAEc6sZ?format=jpg&name=large]

I learned about this on twitter so don't really know much other than this.
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I can't honestly give two monkeys about politics, but he dun fricked up and I have zero hope for whoever comes in next "leading" the UK after this as the other main party is a joke, ah just screw it all really.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I can't honestly give two monkeys about politics, but he dun fricked up and I have zero hope for whoever comes in next "leading" the UK after this as the other main party is a joke, ah just screw it all really.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good riddance to him. The stuff I've read about him just today in light of this paints him as a total piece of shit, and frankly I'd be happy to see the back of any politician who peddled the disastrous lie that is Brexit. I just hope whatever comes next (whether it be his successor or the next party to win the next election) isn't bad but I'm not going to hold my breath. Eh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good riddance to him. The stuff I've read about him just today in light of this paints him as a total piece of shit, and frankly I'd be happy to see the back of any politician who peddled the disastrous lie that is Brexit. I just hope whatever comes next (whether it be his successor or the next party to win the next election) isn't bad but I'm not going to hold my breath. Eh
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 25th, 2022, 03:17 PM)Moonface Wrote:
So I don't know if it'll go through and I personally hope it doesn't, but apparently talks are in the final stages for Elon Musk to buy Twitter.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Turns out this isn't going through because Musk himself has decided to terminate the deal.
I stopped caring about this a while ago so I feel rather indifferent about this news, but just thought I'd share it nonetheless since it had come up in here before. Tongue

Update: Twitter is now intending to sue Elon Musk. ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So I don't know if it'll go through and I personally hope it doesn't, but apparently talks are in the final stages for Elon Musk to buy Twitter.
Turns out this isn't going through because Musk himself has decided to terminate the deal.
I stopped caring about this a while ago so I feel rather indifferent about this news, but just thought I'd share it nonetheless since it had come up in here before. Tongue

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jul 8th, 2022, 10:47 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Everyone point and laugh at Elon!

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jul 8th, 2022, 10:47 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Everyone point and laugh at Elon!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Chat Thread Mr EliteL 3,871 1,590,453 9 hours ago
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 21,524 Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  The Food & Drink Thread Moonface 100 41,696 Mar 24th, 2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Maniak's Rants - The General Thread Maniakkid25 10 4,177 Jan 10th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  2020 Holiday Season Thread Moonface 15 7,217 Jan 18th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Moonface