Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
honestly, Wii port was my favorite port of the game but this one... THIS ONE.... masterpiece. now I gotta find a way to play this version
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
honestly, Wii port was my favorite port of the game but this one... THIS ONE.... masterpiece. now I gotta find a way to play this version
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I swear, between Resident Evil 4 and Skyrim, who will win out on most ported title in modern gaming history? ROFL

This topic needs hella love. Lately, that's all companies are making, but this also creates the topic of what constitutes a port? Is it a direct upload of the exe file with minor fixes to allow it to run on whatever hardware it needs, or can they include upgrades like graphical improvements and quality changes?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I swear, between Resident Evil 4 and Skyrim, who will win out on most ported title in modern gaming history? ROFL

This topic needs hella love. Lately, that's all companies are making, but this also creates the topic of what constitutes a port? Is it a direct upload of the exe file with minor fixes to allow it to run on whatever hardware it needs, or can they include upgrades like graphical improvements and quality changes?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I would include remasters as ports honestly. Making a game just a bit prettier but not really changing anything else shouldn't be a remake.

Take Nier Replicant. if you do side by side comparisons, a ton changed. not just graphics that was put through an AI for improvement. There are whole new models, fighting is smoother, every line is voiced and it was completely redubbed.

buuuuut, even the director, Yoko Taro, says it's not a remake. It really is like right in between the two.

I also don't think the change needs to be as drastic as FF7R to be considered a remake. That is basically a new game tbh
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I would include remasters as ports honestly. Making a game just a bit prettier but not really changing anything else shouldn't be a remake.

Take Nier Replicant. if you do side by side comparisons, a ton changed. not just graphics that was put through an AI for improvement. There are whole new models, fighting is smoother, every line is voiced and it was completely redubbed.

buuuuut, even the director, Yoko Taro, says it's not a remake. It really is like right in between the two.

I also don't think the change needs to be as drastic as FF7R to be considered a remake. That is basically a new game tbh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
For things like FF7R that was what I'd classify as a new "re": re-imagining. It takes the existing property and expands upon it from the ground up, but it's separate from a "reboot" which can rehash the existing property with hopes of gaining a new audience. One targets old audiences and the other targets new audiences. Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
For things like FF7R that was what I'd classify as a new "re": re-imagining. It takes the existing property and expands upon it from the ground up, but it's separate from a "reboot" which can rehash the existing property with hopes of gaining a new audience. One targets old audiences and the other targets new audiences. Smile
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm fine with reboots honestly. DmC was terribly scripted but the story was the same stuff as always. Dante fights demons. But man. the dialogue. cringe. but the gameplay was a ton of fun!

it's weird. like I'm playing Legendary Edition now and it's definitely a remaster but, in the end, it's still a port. the game plays the same., still janky. still got weird eyes and animations. same same same. I don't know what I would consider an excellent port honestly.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm fine with reboots honestly. DmC was terribly scripted but the story was the same stuff as always. Dante fights demons. But man. the dialogue. cringe. but the gameplay was a ton of fun!

it's weird. like I'm playing Legendary Edition now and it's definitely a remaster but, in the end, it's still a port. the game plays the same., still janky. still got weird eyes and animations. same same same. I don't know what I would consider an excellent port honestly.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 19th, 2021, 02:43 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I think if a game is basically the same at its core, then I would call it a port. GTA V on PS4 is at its core the same game, but with better graphics and the addition of first person, and so I would still call it a port; nothing fundamentally changed for the game. Crash N. Sane and Spyro Reignited are games I wouldn't consider ports, since they were completely remade and so are entirely different versions.

Something that comes to mind as more of a gray area would be something like Minecraft, which has a few different versions. Java and Bedrock are the current two variations of the game, where both are at their core the same experience, but don't necessarily get updated at the same time, can not interact with each other (Bedrock players can not play with Java players), and have slightly different ways of handling certain things like redstone and block interaction, and feature things not possible in the opposing version due to the different coding languages. I wouldn't call them both the exact same game, but I don't know if they're different enough to call them both their own thing.

Also, back in the day before Bedrock, when Minecraft was ported over to PS3 and 360, the worlds had a size limit because of the limitations of the hardware, and again updates were not same day as the PC updates. Is that called a port, or is it something else because of the disparities? Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 19th, 2021, 02:43 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I think if a game is basically the same at its core, then I would call it a port. GTA V on PS4 is at its core the same game, but with better graphics and the addition of first person, and so I would still call it a port; nothing fundamentally changed for the game. Crash N. Sane and Spyro Reignited are games I wouldn't consider ports, since they were completely remade and so are entirely different versions.

Something that comes to mind as more of a gray area would be something like Minecraft, which has a few different versions. Java and Bedrock are the current two variations of the game, where both are at their core the same experience, but don't necessarily get updated at the same time, can not interact with each other (Bedrock players can not play with Java players), and have slightly different ways of handling certain things like redstone and block interaction, and feature things not possible in the opposing version due to the different coding languages. I wouldn't call them both the exact same game, but I don't know if they're different enough to call them both their own thing.

Also, back in the day before Bedrock, when Minecraft was ported over to PS3 and 360, the worlds had a size limit because of the limitations of the hardware, and again updates were not same day as the PC updates. Is that called a port, or is it something else because of the disparities? Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jun 19th, 2021, 04:23 AM)Monocle Wrote:

Well, that's because it is a new game. The remake in the name isn't referring to the game itself, as you very well know.

I agree with Monocle that I would consider remasters to just be prettied up ports. I'm okay with porting/remasters though. I'm fine with double dipping on games (or triple dripping in some cases) if the ports all have their own trophy lists. Used to love seeing a game released on PS3, PS4 and Vita and all three versions had their own trophy lists.

But yeah, I own multiple copies of a lot of games just so I could double dip on the trophies, haha. It's kind of fun to play through one version normally, taking my time and enjoying the game, getting the platinum, and then using the other port to see how fast I can platinum the game compared to my casual play through.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jun 19th, 2021, 04:23 AM)Monocle Wrote:

Well, that's because it is a new game. The remake in the name isn't referring to the game itself, as you very well know.

I agree with Monocle that I would consider remasters to just be prettied up ports. I'm okay with porting/remasters though. I'm fine with double dipping on games (or triple dripping in some cases) if the ports all have their own trophy lists. Used to love seeing a game released on PS3, PS4 and Vita and all three versions had their own trophy lists.

But yeah, I own multiple copies of a lot of games just so I could double dip on the trophies, haha. It's kind of fun to play through one version normally, taking my time and enjoying the game, getting the platinum, and then using the other port to see how fast I can platinum the game compared to my casual play through.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 30th, 2021, 07:07 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
If you had the ability to delete trophy progress for a game so that you could see how fast you can get the trophies again in it? In the instance of a game not having multiple versions for you to do the technique I quoted you on.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 30th, 2021, 07:07 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
If you had the ability to delete trophy progress for a game so that you could see how fast you can get the trophies again in it? In the instance of a game not having multiple versions for you to do the technique I quoted you on.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Nah. As fun as it is to do it with games that have separate trophy lists per platform, I wouldn't go out of my way to delete my trophy data for a game just to re-do it. It's just one of those, "Well, I can stack these trophy lists, so let's have some fun with it!" things.

The one I'm most excited for is Star Ocean 4. I took about 500-600 hours to finish that on PS3, scattered across... 5 years? So my goal with the PS4 version is to see not only how much time I can shave off of that (aiming for 300-350 hours), but to also see if I can get myself to complete it in less than three months (being generous here as work/laziness/other games might interfere with progress once I do start it up).
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Nah. As fun as it is to do it with games that have separate trophy lists per platform, I wouldn't go out of my way to delete my trophy data for a game just to re-do it. It's just one of those, "Well, I can stack these trophy lists, so let's have some fun with it!" things.

The one I'm most excited for is Star Ocean 4. I took about 500-600 hours to finish that on PS3, scattered across... 5 years? So my goal with the PS4 version is to see not only how much time I can shave off of that (aiming for 300-350 hours), but to also see if I can get myself to complete it in less than three months (being generous here as work/laziness/other games might interfere with progress once I do start it up).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I just remembered that if you make a new profile on your PS4, it wouldn't have trophies and you could use that to try re-running a games trophies if it lacks more than one trophy list. Wink

Also, I was looking through this video to see if it had any notably bad ports mentioned, and the one that stood out to me that I completely forgot about was Skyrim on PS3 having a bug where the save file would grow until your console had no more free space. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I just remembered that if you make a new profile on your PS4, it wouldn't have trophies and you could use that to try re-running a games trophies if it lacks more than one trophy list. Wink

Also, I was looking through this video to see if it had any notably bad ports mentioned, and the one that stood out to me that I completely forgot about was Skyrim on PS3 having a bug where the save file would grow until your console had no more free space. ROFL
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
That seems a bit exaggerated, because you'd already start seeing it affect your game at 6 MEGS. But yeah, it would cause massive amounts of lag, make the game unplayable, and that's if the save file didn't outright crash it. Bethesda SUCKS at their job!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
That seems a bit exaggerated, because you'd already start seeing it affect your game at 6 MEGS. But yeah, it would cause massive amounts of lag, make the game unplayable, and that's if the save file didn't outright crash it. Bethesda SUCKS at their job!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
One would hope Bethesda might not have as many bugs in their games now that they have Microsoft parenting them, but I won't hold my breath. Tongue

I just remembered a really bad port I played, which was Rayman Raving Rabbids on PS2. The game itself runs fine, but because the game was originally designed around the Wii, there are certain minigames that had motion controls mapped into the analogue sticks instead. The one I really recall is where Rayman needs to run to a goal, and with motion controls you would alternate moving each controller up and down; however, for PS2 that was changed to require you move the analogue sticks up and down alternately (one up while one is down), and the faster you did that the faster Rayman would run. Trying to do that is one of the hardest physical tasks I've ever done playing a game to the point I gave up and asked my dad to just waggle one stick like a lunatic up and down while I did the same to the other. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
One would hope Bethesda might not have as many bugs in their games now that they have Microsoft parenting them, but I won't hold my breath. Tongue

I just remembered a really bad port I played, which was Rayman Raving Rabbids on PS2. The game itself runs fine, but because the game was originally designed around the Wii, there are certain minigames that had motion controls mapped into the analogue sticks instead. The one I really recall is where Rayman needs to run to a goal, and with motion controls you would alternate moving each controller up and down; however, for PS2 that was changed to require you move the analogue sticks up and down alternately (one up while one is down), and the faster you did that the faster Rayman would run. Trying to do that is one of the hardest physical tasks I've ever done playing a game to the point I gave up and asked my dad to just waggle one stick like a lunatic up and down while I did the same to the other. Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The sad thing about Skyrim ports is that the PS4 and Xbox One ports still ran like shit. Sure, the PS4 version didn't have the memory leak issues that completely ruined the game, but man, nearly every other issue was still present in the game.

I actually ran into an issue on my PS4 play through that forced me to make a new character so I could do one of the DLCs for the trophies. I couldn't access the last DLC on my main character because the game would crash every time I got near Windhelm, which is where you needed to go to be taken to the DLC area. So that was really fun for me.

Not sure how much Microsoft will actually be involved with Bethesda (they probably just want to cash in on their games more than anything), so I'm expecting TES VI to be a bug-ridden, broken game experience yet again.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The sad thing about Skyrim ports is that the PS4 and Xbox One ports still ran like shit. Sure, the PS4 version didn't have the memory leak issues that completely ruined the game, but man, nearly every other issue was still present in the game.

I actually ran into an issue on my PS4 play through that forced me to make a new character so I could do one of the DLCs for the trophies. I couldn't access the last DLC on my main character because the game would crash every time I got near Windhelm, which is where you needed to go to be taken to the DLC area. So that was really fun for me.

Not sure how much Microsoft will actually be involved with Bethesda (they probably just want to cash in on their games more than anything), so I'm expecting TES VI to be a bug-ridden, broken game experience yet again.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The problem with Bethesda games is they have SO many little systems inside the larger system (the game) that it's much easier for things to break and fall apart when small things go wrong (or conflict, for that matter). There's only so many layers you can add to a cake before it starts to topple on top of each other and fall apart, ya know? I don't think they'll ever solve it because of how ambitious they make their gameworlds be. There's no amount of bug-testing in the world that can prevent every happenstance that can possibly occur on game with that many interwoven systems in place IMO.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The problem with Bethesda games is they have SO many little systems inside the larger system (the game) that it's much easier for things to break and fall apart when small things go wrong (or conflict, for that matter). There's only so many layers you can add to a cake before it starts to topple on top of each other and fall apart, ya know? I don't think they'll ever solve it because of how ambitious they make their gameworlds be. There's no amount of bug-testing in the world that can prevent every happenstance that can possibly occur on game with that many interwoven systems in place IMO.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, no, I call bulls***, because that doesn't justify why they ported a COMPLETELY UNFIXED version of the game onto Switch SIX YEARS after its initial release. The bug fixes the original version got? NOPE! THEY'RE ALL GONE! Bethesda just suck are their jobs, period; at least when Obsidian was Bug-sidian, they had the decency to try to fix their major bugs in a decent amount of time (when the publisher let them, LucasArts...). And no, I'm not just saying they added new bugs; THEY LEFT IN ALL THE OLD ONES!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, no, I call bulls***, because that doesn't justify why they ported a COMPLETELY UNFIXED version of the game onto Switch SIX YEARS after its initial release. The bug fixes the original version got? NOPE! THEY'RE ALL GONE! Bethesda just suck are their jobs, period; at least when Obsidian was Bug-sidian, they had the decency to try to fix their major bugs in a decent amount of time (when the publisher let them, LucasArts...). And no, I'm not just saying they added new bugs; THEY LEFT IN ALL THE OLD ONES!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 730 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,847 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface