Horizon: Forbidden West
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Horizon: Forbidden West continues Aloy’s story as she moves west to a far-future America to brave a majestic, but dangerous frontier where she’ll face awe-inspiring machines and mysterious new threats.

I was expecting this to close out today's PS5 gameplay showcase, and holy fuck it does not disappoint at all. Instant day one buy. Wow
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Horizon: Forbidden West continues Aloy’s story as she moves west to a far-future America to brave a majestic, but dangerous frontier where she’ll face awe-inspiring machines and mysterious new threats.

I was expecting this to close out today's PS5 gameplay showcase, and holy fuck it does not disappoint at all. Instant day one buy. Wow
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My favourite part of the event the other day, I so need to play the first one to the end once I've found it. Managed to lose it somehow, not with any of my other games for some reason, even had three others separate but Horizon wasn't with them either, but I will find it!  Doh
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
My favourite part of the event the other day, I so need to play the first one to the end once I've found it. Managed to lose it somehow, not with any of my other games for some reason, even had three others separate but Horizon wasn't with them either, but I will find it!  Doh
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 14th, 2020, 11:23 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
The first is definitely worth playing, especially on a tougher difficulty where you never get too cocky just because you got some good weapons. When the lore and current day events start to come together in the story it gets really good. Also make sure you do every side quest before the finale, it's absolutely worth it.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 14th, 2020, 11:23 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
The first is definitely worth playing, especially on a tougher difficulty where you never get too cocky just because you got some good weapons. When the lore and current day events start to come together in the story it gets really good. Also make sure you do every side quest before the finale, it's absolutely worth it.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I've played the first one a few times but never the whole way through. I plan to do so before I pick up this new one.

From what I have played, it looks fun!
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I've played the first one a few times but never the whole way through. I plan to do so before I pick up this new one.

From what I have played, it looks fun!
Ladybyrd402 Offline
This Is The Way
Currently Playing
Fortnite
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo Switch
XP: 715
Aloy was added to the Horizon Zero Dawn set on Fortnite and I now own her.

Here is what she looks like in Fortnite and some of the stuff you can get to go with her:
[Image: video-games.png]
[Image: tHRtXPkabmhykpwPASvF.jpg]
Ladybyrd402 Offline
This Is The Way
Currently Playing
Fortnite
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo Switch

Here is what she looks like in Fortnite and some of the stuff you can get to go with her:
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 25th, 2021, 09:32 AM)Ladybyrd402 Wrote:

What's that vehicle used for in the game? I always though Fortnite was foot traversal only. Unsure

Also for anyone interested, the complete edition of Zero Dawn is available for free to all PS4 players and can be redeemed on May 14. Wink

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 25th, 2021, 09:32 AM)Ladybyrd402 Wrote:

What's that vehicle used for in the game? I always though Fortnite was foot traversal only. Unsure

Also for anyone interested, the complete edition of Zero Dawn is available for free to all PS4 players and can be redeemed on May 14. Wink
Ladybyrd402 Offline
This Is The Way
Currently Playing
Fortnite
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo Switch
Moonface Wrote:
Ladybyrd402 Wrote:

That is the Glinthawk Glider. The glider is used when you jump from the Battle Bus onto the Battle Island.

Here is a list of everything that is in the picture above that I have, that I got as a bundle for 2,600 v-bucks:
Aloy (outfit)
Blaze Canitster (backbling)
Aloy's Spear (harvesting tool)
Glinthawk (glider)
Heart-rizon (emote)
Shield-Weaver (wrap)
Aloy the Skywatcher (loading screen) (included in the bundle)
[Image: tHRtXPkabmhykpwPASvF.jpg]
Ladybyrd402 Offline
This Is The Way
Currently Playing
Fortnite
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo Switch
Moonface Wrote:
Ladybyrd402 Wrote:

That is the Glinthawk Glider. The glider is used when you jump from the Battle Bus onto the Battle Island.

Here is a list of everything that is in the picture above that I have, that I got as a bundle for 2,600 v-bucks:
Aloy (outfit)
Blaze Canitster (backbling)
Aloy's Spear (harvesting tool)
Glinthawk (glider)
Heart-rizon (emote)
Shield-Weaver (wrap)
Aloy the Skywatcher (loading screen) (included in the bundle)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
First Look at Horizon: Forbidden West Gameplay on May 27
A new State of Play taking place on Thursday, May 27 will showcase at least 14 minutes of gameplay footage for Horizon: Forbidden West:

For whatever reason, there will be a five hour countdown starting at 9am PT / 12pm ET / 5pm BST, with the actual State of Play starting at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm BST. The State of Play itself will be 20 minutes long, with 14 minutes dedicated to gameplay.

Of course this happens at the time I'm flying so I can't watch this unless I get lucky at the airport. Rolleyes
Anyway, really curious about this, mainly because of it being cross-gen. My excitement for the game got lowered quite a bit knowing that it'll be potentially held back by the limitations of the PS4, especially when it comes to utilizing the SSD of the PS5, so I hope this showcase manages to not make the game appear hindered by older hardware. I know there were ideas for Zero Dawn that couldn't be done because of loading issues, and I can't see those ideas happening now that this game isn't PS5 exclusive.

Other than that, I hope that traversal is improved quite a bit. Zero Dawn releasing alongside Breath of the Wild really made the traversal feel very limited and even outdated when Aloy would refuse to climb onto a ledge she could clearly reach just because it lacked the marked terrain you can actual climb with. I also hope animations are better too, because a lot of the facial animation of ZD left a lot to be desired at times and definitely has lots of room for improvement.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
First Look at Horizon: Forbidden West Gameplay on May 27
A new State of Play taking place on Thursday, May 27 will showcase at least 14 minutes of gameplay footage for Horizon: Forbidden West:

For whatever reason, there will be a five hour countdown starting at 9am PT / 12pm ET / 5pm BST, with the actual State of Play starting at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm BST. The State of Play itself will be 20 minutes long, with 14 minutes dedicated to gameplay.

Of course this happens at the time I'm flying so I can't watch this unless I get lucky at the airport. Rolleyes
Anyway, really curious about this, mainly because of it being cross-gen. My excitement for the game got lowered quite a bit knowing that it'll be potentially held back by the limitations of the PS4, especially when it comes to utilizing the SSD of the PS5, so I hope this showcase manages to not make the game appear hindered by older hardware. I know there were ideas for Zero Dawn that couldn't be done because of loading issues, and I can't see those ideas happening now that this game isn't PS5 exclusive.

Other than that, I hope that traversal is improved quite a bit. Zero Dawn releasing alongside Breath of the Wild really made the traversal feel very limited and even outdated when Aloy would refuse to climb onto a ledge she could clearly reach just because it lacked the marked terrain you can actual climb with. I also hope animations are better too, because a lot of the facial animation of ZD left a lot to be desired at times and definitely has lots of room for improvement.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Forbidden West - State of Play Gameplay

Dropping this here. As I've yet to play the first game and like before this makes me want to get on that, I've not much to say to compare. Visuals here look excellent though, love the underwater segment, combat and traversing with hook, glider and movement. Torn between which system I'd get this for as of course PS5 stock issues and my own undecided feeling on getting one at all yet, but FW is certainly on my radar for now.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Forbidden West - State of Play Gameplay

Dropping this here. As I've yet to play the first game and like before this makes me want to get on that, I've not much to say to compare. Visuals here look excellent though, love the underwater segment, combat and traversing with hook, glider and movement. Torn between which system I'd get this for as of course PS5 stock issues and my own undecided feeling on getting one at all yet, but FW is certainly on my radar for now.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I'm hyyyped but kinda turned off by a good bit.

Love the look, especially underwater. the new setting is just so damn pretty. the new traversing mechanics are fucking awesome. I'm one of those that play these slowly and take pictures of the great views. did that with Tsushima so much.

kinda bothered by some of her skills being cinematic like. Like that electric move to push back enemies. Feels flashy for no reason and distracting. the game, to me at least, isn't crazy about the gameplay but the story and setting. it just feels... unnecessary? like the move is useful af but pausing gameplay to make it flashy like that? also seems against Aloy's personality. she's very grounded and does what's necessary and super efficient. I never got that flashy vibe from her.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I'm hyyyped but kinda turned off by a good bit.

Love the look, especially underwater. the new setting is just so damn pretty. the new traversing mechanics are fucking awesome. I'm one of those that play these slowly and take pictures of the great views. did that with Tsushima so much.

kinda bothered by some of her skills being cinematic like. Like that electric move to push back enemies. Feels flashy for no reason and distracting. the game, to me at least, isn't crazy about the gameplay but the story and setting. it just feels... unnecessary? like the move is useful af but pausing gameplay to make it flashy like that? also seems against Aloy's personality. she's very grounded and does what's necessary and super efficient. I never got that flashy vibe from her.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only time she acted in a way that fits that flashy move in the first game is when she gets incredibly confident and cocky in the arena of the sun god. I just hope it doesn't happen every time because that would become annoying.

I also don't want her talking so much either. I presume it's only present here to help give context and prevent quiet moments, but I think it's excessive and talking underwater was just weird.

That aside, the game looks amazing, and human combat looks to be better. Loving the new machines too. I do feel like the bow blows sound weak compared to the first game though.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only time she acted in a way that fits that flashy move in the first game is when she gets incredibly confident and cocky in the arena of the sun god. I just hope it doesn't happen every time because that would become annoying.

I also don't want her talking so much either. I presume it's only present here to help give context and prevent quiet moments, but I think it's excessive and talking underwater was just weird.

That aside, the game looks amazing, and human combat looks to be better. Loving the new machines too. I do feel like the bow blows sound weak compared to the first game though.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah the trend of games lately where they think instead of displaying your latest objective in the UI, they'd be clever and incorporate it into the character by having them talk to themselves constantly. I find it can be real tedious after a while and even scene-breaking depending on the game (i.e. games with stealth).

That said, I love what I saw so far. I expect an early 2022 release date revealed at E3 perhaps
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah the trend of games lately where they think instead of displaying your latest objective in the UI, they'd be clever and incorporate it into the character by having them talk to themselves constantly. I find it can be real tedious after a while and even scene-breaking depending on the game (i.e. games with stealth).

That said, I love what I saw so far. I expect an early 2022 release date revealed at E3 perhaps
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's some more details about this game that came out from a Game Informer interview:
  • Hook and glider are not the only new tools in the game
  • PS4 version is getting tested a lot, will look great but PS5 has better underwater graphics and will use cutscene quality lighting for normal gameplay as well
  • Ability tree is completely reworked
  • Melee combat is improved
  • Story starts 6 months after the ending of Zero Dawn, companions will have more game time
  • Resources gathered in the world will be used to upgrade weapons and weapon skills on workbench in settlements; more elaborate system than Zero Dawn
  • Final release date coming soon
Neat to see weapons have upgrades this time. It also seems like the game is intended as a PS5 title first given that the PS4 one needs testing a lot. I question whether we'll even see PS4 footage before release.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's some more details about this game that came out from a Game Informer interview:
  • Hook and glider are not the only new tools in the game
  • PS4 version is getting tested a lot, will look great but PS5 has better underwater graphics and will use cutscene quality lighting for normal gameplay as well
  • Ability tree is completely reworked
  • Melee combat is improved
  • Story starts 6 months after the ending of Zero Dawn, companions will have more game time
  • Resources gathered in the world will be used to upgrade weapons and weapon skills on workbench in settlements; more elaborate system than Zero Dawn
  • Final release date coming soon
Neat to see weapons have upgrades this time. It also seems like the game is intended as a PS5 title first given that the PS4 one needs testing a lot. I question whether we'll even see PS4 footage before release.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I also think they're learning from the DISASTER that was Cyberpunk and that it'll work on all intended platforms. Thankfully they're testing it on ps4 a lot. I'm still gonna really to get it regardless because no ps5 rip but I'm happy they're putting in the work for last gen too.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I also think they're learning from the DISASTER that was Cyberpunk and that it'll work on all intended platforms. Thankfully they're testing it on ps4 a lot. I'm still gonna really to get it regardless because no ps5 rip but I'm happy they're putting in the work for last gen too.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:52 PM)Monocle Wrote:
I also think they're learning from the DISASTER that was Cyberpunk and that it'll work on all intended platforms. Thankfully they're testing it on ps4 a lot.
That and it would look really bad on Sony if they kicked Cyberpunk off their store for not working very well (although it was more due to CDPR putting the refund ball into Sony's court without even asking for permission) to then release a first party game that also doesn't work well.

Apparently the climbing is a lot less restrictive this time around too. Another interview (or maybe it was the same one as the other stuff) said the climbing is more free, so I'm hoping that means something similar to Assassin's Creed where if something is a climbable surface it doesn't require exact handholds to do it. Also let Aloy grab ledge edges regardless of markings, because it irked me so much in ZD when she wouldn't scale something that was shoulder height just because it lacked a handhold.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:52 PM)Monocle Wrote:
I also think they're learning from the DISASTER that was Cyberpunk and that it'll work on all intended platforms. Thankfully they're testing it on ps4 a lot.
That and it would look really bad on Sony if they kicked Cyberpunk off their store for not working very well (although it was more due to CDPR putting the refund ball into Sony's court without even asking for permission) to then release a first party game that also doesn't work well.

Apparently the climbing is a lot less restrictive this time around too. Another interview (or maybe it was the same one as the other stuff) said the climbing is more free, so I'm hoping that means something similar to Assassin's Creed where if something is a climbable surface it doesn't require exact handholds to do it. Also let Aloy grab ledge edges regardless of markings, because it irked me so much in ZD when she wouldn't scale something that was shoulder height just because it lacked a handhold.