Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,164
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Apr 16th, 2021, 04:29 AM)Metallix Wrote:
So far the game looks really cool. I loved Into the Nexus which this game is the direct sequel to.
I started "Into the Nexus" a couple of days ago, and so far I find it feels very rushed and unpolished. I've not done the final planet yet but it feels pretty weak compared to most of the other games for me.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,164 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So far the game looks really cool. I loved Into the Nexus which this game is the direct sequel to.
I started "Into the Nexus" a couple of days ago, and so far I find it feels very rushed and unpolished. I've not done the final planet yet but it feels pretty weak compared to most of the other games for me.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I've been watching Moony play through it and get the feeling he's right about most things. I don't find the art style as offensive as he does, but boy does that game suffer from frame rate dips and general programming bugs. I also don't think the difficulty scaled up properly in this title very well (in terms of balancing).

Rift Apart I expect to improve upon the feel of the 2016 reboot in terms of gameplay and aesthetic.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I've been watching Moony play through it and get the feeling he's right about most things. I don't find the art style as offensive as he does, but boy does that game suffer from frame rate dips and general programming bugs. I also don't think the difficulty scaled up properly in this title very well (in terms of balancing).

Rift Apart I expect to improve upon the feel of the 2016 reboot in terms of gameplay and aesthetic.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
(Apr 19th, 2021, 11:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think that was more due to pushing the PS3 harder than it should have. It was pretty bad, along with the spin offs like Full Frontal Assault in performance, but it was great as far as gameplay goes IMO. It brought in fresh new gameplay styles that made its way into the remake.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Apr 19th, 2021, 11:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think that was more due to pushing the PS3 harder than it should have. It was pretty bad, along with the spin offs like Full Frontal Assault in performance, but it was great as far as gameplay goes IMO. It brought in fresh new gameplay styles that made its way into the remake.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think it might be more due to the game being made for Vita also. I doubt two versions were made and instead the game was made for the weakest hardware.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think it might be more due to the game being made for Vita also. I doubt two versions were made and instead the game was made for the weakest hardware.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The biggest letdown for Into the Nexus has to be the name: It had a working title of "Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nether Regions", which goes in line with their trend of naming conventions that work as double entendre with innuendos. It's sad that they decided to not keep it Sad

Also apparently, no it wasn't developed for Vita at all. They actually couldn't:

Quote:A PlayStation Vita version was considered, but Insomniac Games were cautious after previous issues when developing the Vita version of Full Frontal Assault.

They apparently also wanted to make it for PS4 "but failed to do so due to the huge differences between the Ratchet & Clank engine for the PlayStation 4 compared to the PlayStation 3."
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The biggest letdown for Into the Nexus has to be the name: It had a working title of "Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nether Regions", which goes in line with their trend of naming conventions that work as double entendre with innuendos. It's sad that they decided to not keep it Sad

Also apparently, no it wasn't developed for Vita at all. They actually couldn't:

Quote:A PlayStation Vita version was considered, but Insomniac Games were cautious after previous issues when developing the Vita version of Full Frontal Assault.

They apparently also wanted to make it for PS4 "but failed to do so due to the huge differences between the Ratchet & Clank engine for the PlayStation 4 compared to the PlayStation 3."
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
New Gameplay & Cinematic Trailer:

The female Lombax has been named: Rivet! Check out the mysteries behind the characters as Nefarious once again causes havoc between dimensions!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
New Gameplay & Cinematic Trailer:

The female Lombax has been named: Rivet! Check out the mysteries behind the characters as Nefarious once again causes havoc between dimensions!
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
A very good trailer, looking forward to the state of play!
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
A very good trailer, looking forward to the state of play!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 24th, 2021, 04:40 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

The lack of the innuendo didn't bother me as much since the EU never got to keep them. Any time a R&C game had an innuendo for a title it was changed or outright removed.
I also didn't know it wasn't actually on Vita. I guess maybe they were using an engine that was suited for Vita but ultimately never put the game over there because of the issues you mentioned with FFA. It's probably also good they didn't make it for PS4, since its small scale would've been disappointing for the first entry of the series on a new system. Especially when it also has a strong connection to the PS3 games.

As for the new trailer today, not surprised that the female Lombax is called Rivet. That was pretty much figured to be her name back when she was first shown, and Insomniac also hinted heavily at it. The game looks gorgeous though and so far the best looking PS5 title out there; definitely looking forward to seeing more gameplay on Thursday! Grin

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 24th, 2021, 04:40 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

The lack of the innuendo didn't bother me as much since the EU never got to keep them. Any time a R&C game had an innuendo for a title it was changed or outright removed.
I also didn't know it wasn't actually on Vita. I guess maybe they were using an engine that was suited for Vita but ultimately never put the game over there because of the issues you mentioned with FFA. It's probably also good they didn't make it for PS4, since its small scale would've been disappointing for the first entry of the series on a new system. Especially when it also has a strong connection to the PS3 games.

As for the new trailer today, not surprised that the female Lombax is called Rivet. That was pretty much figured to be her name back when she was first shown, and Insomniac also hinted heavily at it. The game looks gorgeous though and so far the best looking PS5 title out there; definitely looking forward to seeing more gameplay on Thursday! Grin
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - State of Play Gameplay Footage
Check out the most in-depth look yet at Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. You'll see brand-new gameplay with Rivet, deeper looks at some of the new weapons from the out-of-this-world-arsenal, and glimpses at the variety of worlds, characters and gameplay you'll experience in the full game.

This game looks absolutely stunning! I can't believe how well this uses the SSD and additional power of the PS5 this early into the consoles life cycle; it makes me wonder just how good games are going to be in a few years from now. Shock

I like the new traversal options, and the UI is gorgeously minimal. I figured out that the orange bar under the aiming reticule is your ammo counter, so you don't have to look away from the action to see your remaining ammo. If I had one hope remaining for this game, it's that Rivet and Ratchet don't play exactly the same. It would be nice for them to feel distinct in some ways outside of their characters, otherwise I'm worried it'll be like GTA V where the playable characters share the same moves and animations and it ends up becoming repetitive and not very interesting to switch characters from a gameplay perspective.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - State of Play Gameplay Footage
Check out the most in-depth look yet at Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. You'll see brand-new gameplay with Rivet, deeper looks at some of the new weapons from the out-of-this-world-arsenal, and glimpses at the variety of worlds, characters and gameplay you'll experience in the full game.

This game looks absolutely stunning! I can't believe how well this uses the SSD and additional power of the PS5 this early into the consoles life cycle; it makes me wonder just how good games are going to be in a few years from now. Shock

I like the new traversal options, and the UI is gorgeously minimal. I figured out that the orange bar under the aiming reticule is your ammo counter, so you don't have to look away from the action to see your remaining ammo. If I had one hope remaining for this game, it's that Rivet and Ratchet don't play exactly the same. It would be nice for them to feel distinct in some ways outside of their characters, otherwise I'm worried it'll be like GTA V where the playable characters share the same moves and animations and it ends up becoming repetitive and not very interesting to switch characters from a gameplay perspective.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
The new traversal gameplay is pretty awesome and improves on a formula that was already great it seems. I like the ability to warp to other parts of the level you're at with the grappling hook.

Did you catch the short clip where it was raining and there was lightning? Look freaking amazing! I love what I've seen of the story so far, look very engaging. Can't wait for June! Smile
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
The new traversal gameplay is pretty awesome and improves on a formula that was already great it seems. I like the ability to warp to other parts of the level you're at with the grappling hook.

Did you catch the short clip where it was raining and there was lightning? Look freaking amazing! I love what I've seen of the story so far, look very engaging. Can't wait for June! Smile
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 29th, 2021, 10:48 PM)Metallix Wrote:
What section was that? I watched the whole thing but can't recall that moment.

As for the story, I'm trying to figure out if the Nefarious of that dimension also exists. I heard a line that states Emperor Nefarious has returned, and I don't know if that means the existing one was missing or if he is away and Ratchet's Nefarious came along during that absence. It'll be interesting to see what happens if and when both of them do come together. I can see them not getting along because of one trying to steal the others success.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

As for the story, I'm trying to figure out if the Nefarious of that dimension also exists. I heard a line that states Emperor Nefarious has returned, and I don't know if that means the existing one was missing or if he is away and Ratchet's Nefarious came along during that absence. It'll be interesting to see what happens if and when both of them do come together. I can see them not getting along because of one trying to steal the others success.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Apr 29th, 2021, 11:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It was kind of near the end of the show, they were showing off a bunch of different short scenes. Yeah it'll be interesting for sure how they do that part of the story. One interesting thing is that there's an alternate Ratchet but I wonder if we have an alternate clank? Also will we see the return of Emperor Tachyon from Tools of Destruction? He was vanquished to a different part of the universe in Tools of Destruction with the dimensionator.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Apr 29th, 2021, 11:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It was kind of near the end of the show, they were showing off a bunch of different short scenes. Yeah it'll be interesting for sure how they do that part of the story. One interesting thing is that there's an alternate Ratchet but I wonder if we have an alternate clank? Also will we see the return of Emperor Tachyon from Tools of Destruction? He was vanquished to a different part of the universe in Tools of Destruction with the dimensionator.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Tachyon might be a cameo but I don't think he'd get a big part at all. He won't really be a threat since he no longer has an army and may even be somewhere that lacks the technology he needs to build anything.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Tachyon might be a cameo but I don't think he'd get a big part at all. He won't really be a threat since he no longer has an army and may even be somewhere that lacks the technology he needs to build anything.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Here's some new gameplay footage courtesy of Game Informer. I haven't really spotted any new features or mechanics but I was skipping through the video. At least it has new footage though! Grin

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Here's some new gameplay footage courtesy of Game Informer. I haven't really spotted any new features or mechanics but I was skipping through the video. At least it has new footage though! Grin
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I got this game at launch and finally beat it. Anyone else get it yet?
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I got this game at launch and finally beat it. Anyone else get it yet?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ratchet & Clank (Series) Moonface 7 7,577 Sep 28th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Last Post: WR91