Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Aug 4th, 2020, 09:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Kyng: Oh dear lord that first person biking sequence. I could barely stomach watching that let alone play it.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hated the bike even at the time Tongue . I quickly stopped using it altogether. 

(I used the other vehicles; however, they were still frustrating, albeit somewhat less so)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Aug 4th, 2020, 09:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Kyng: Oh dear lord that first person biking sequence. I could barely stomach watching that let alone play it.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hated the bike even at the time Tongue . I quickly stopped using it altogether. 

(I used the other vehicles; however, they were still frustrating, albeit somewhat less so)
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I sometimes regret going back to games I once revered and discovering they're dogshit. With many things lately keeping me in a state of depression, finding out that the things that made me happy in life were actually not that great after all is real depressing Sweat

That said, I know one game that's aged pretty poorly but hasn't necessarily depressed me to realize is Mario Kart 64. I'm just not a fan of the way that game handles in comparison to more recent entries in the series and that's okay.

Another thing, when games started having 3D cameras, those things were fucking terrible. It's unsurprising but holy shit do games like SM64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day have some trouble feeling good because of it sometimes, I find. Doesn't necessarily make the games bad but it does show how vintage those controls were.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I sometimes regret going back to games I once revered and discovering they're dogshit. With many things lately keeping me in a state of depression, finding out that the things that made me happy in life were actually not that great after all is real depressing Sweat

That said, I know one game that's aged pretty poorly but hasn't necessarily depressed me to realize is Mario Kart 64. I'm just not a fan of the way that game handles in comparison to more recent entries in the series and that's okay.

Another thing, when games started having 3D cameras, those things were fucking terrible. It's unsurprising but holy shit do games like SM64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day have some trouble feeling good because of it sometimes, I find. Doesn't necessarily make the games bad but it does show how vintage those controls were.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oddly enough whenever I do go back to Mario 64 I never really found myself hating the camera that much. Its almost like I'm still used to it for some bizarre reason. Hmm Of course its not as good as later games, but I can't really think of any older games that I feel aged poorly to the point where it ruined my experience. Hmm
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oddly enough whenever I do go back to Mario 64 I never really found myself hating the camera that much. Its almost like I'm still used to it for some bizarre reason. Hmm Of course its not as good as later games, but I can't really think of any older games that I feel aged poorly to the point where it ruined my experience. Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I can't say I've ever suffered from this. I've always been critical of the games I play -- even the games I love the most I will still heavily criticize when I feel something isn't as good as it could have been/should be in it. As for older games, when I go back and play them, I know they're not going to feel as good as they used to, because now I'm used to more responsive controls, smoother cameras, better framerates, etc., and I can temper my expectations for them better.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I can't say I've ever suffered from this. I've always been critical of the games I play -- even the games I love the most I will still heavily criticize when I feel something isn't as good as it could have been/should be in it. As for older games, when I go back and play them, I know they're not going to feel as good as they used to, because now I'm used to more responsive controls, smoother cameras, better framerates, etc., and I can temper my expectations for them better.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Driver for the original PS1 was awesome back in the day. I played it about a year ago and damn. It didn't age well in my opinion.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Driver for the original PS1 was awesome back in the day. I played it about a year ago and damn. It didn't age well in my opinion.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Ah, so we do have a thread for this.

Goodie, because I've been meaning to share my thoughts on Rayman Revolution. I didn't play the game when it first came out and didn't pick it up until about 2015 I think? But the first time I played it I thought it was superb, but I didn't get to finish it before I moved to the US. I did bring the game with me though, and it had been so long I figured I'd just restart. It is not as amazing as I thought it was and I eventually got to a point of just wanting to play Rayman 3 because my mind was painting that game as being everything I thought this one was. I just hope I don't rip Rayman 3 apart when I play that again one day.

Another one I thought was really good but is actually pretty bad is Jak 3. I always thought it was the best in the series but it's actually the worst one. If nothing else it's clear it was rushed out the door because the story is a mess and feels like parts are just missing.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Ah, so we do have a thread for this.

Goodie, because I've been meaning to share my thoughts on Rayman Revolution. I didn't play the game when it first came out and didn't pick it up until about 2015 I think? But the first time I played it I thought it was superb, but I didn't get to finish it before I moved to the US. I did bring the game with me though, and it had been so long I figured I'd just restart. It is not as amazing as I thought it was and I eventually got to a point of just wanting to play Rayman 3 because my mind was painting that game as being everything I thought this one was. I just hope I don't rip Rayman 3 apart when I play that again one day.

Another one I thought was really good but is actually pretty bad is Jak 3. I always thought it was the best in the series but it's actually the worst one. If nothing else it's clear it was rushed out the door because the story is a mess and feels like parts are just missing.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I feel like a lot of games from the 5th gen did not age very well, particularly ones with brand new 3D tech (cameras, models, etc). Reminds me of how VR games started (and some still are) just floaty hands, janky head camera, and shooting galleries. Very early tech that hasn't quite reached a point where it's particularly good. Only difference is in today's standards, we recognize VR games as a work in progress still, whereas back in the late 90's, the new camera and 3D modelling was such a HUGE change to the playing field that it was absolutely mind-blowing and amazing, considered the best video games could ever hope to achieve at that point.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I feel like a lot of games from the 5th gen did not age very well, particularly ones with brand new 3D tech (cameras, models, etc). Reminds me of how VR games started (and some still are) just floaty hands, janky head camera, and shooting galleries. Very early tech that hasn't quite reached a point where it's particularly good. Only difference is in today's standards, we recognize VR games as a work in progress still, whereas back in the late 90's, the new camera and 3D modelling was such a HUGE change to the playing field that it was absolutely mind-blowing and amazing, considered the best video games could ever hope to achieve at that point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,102 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 556 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 87 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 720 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 298 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng