Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
A good entrance into the Studio Ghibli films. Enjoy, Nightingale. I still need to see quite a few others myself.

News or rather part of the parade going on around 11AM today on TV. Before that some Green Arrow episode Friday evening.

Watched Huntsman Winter's War last weekend. Screw the reception it received, yes wasn't brilliant, but I enjoyed it.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
A good entrance into the Studio Ghibli films. Enjoy, Nightingale. I still need to see quite a few others myself.

News or rather part of the parade going on around 11AM today on TV. Before that some Green Arrow episode Friday evening.

Watched Huntsman Winter's War last weekend. Screw the reception it received, yes wasn't brilliant, but I enjoyed it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
I watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" last (my first Studio Ghibli film).

Honestly, I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything, but it is oh so incredibly charming. It's hard to watch it without going "awww" every three seconds and, for me at least, that's also a sign of quality film-making. Really impressed by this product and will continue on with works by the same studio.
I agree with this. It isn't anything amazing, but the charm is what makes it such a good watch. I find that with most Studio Ghibli movies, they're either a masterpiece or just incredibly charming. A few such as Arrietty don't manage to hit either of those notes, but fortunately they're the exception to the rule.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
I watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" last (my first Studio Ghibli film).

Honestly, I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything, but it is oh so incredibly charming. It's hard to watch it without going "awww" every three seconds and, for me at least, that's also a sign of quality film-making. Really impressed by this product and will continue on with works by the same studio.
I agree with this. It isn't anything amazing, but the charm is what makes it such a good watch. I find that with most Studio Ghibli movies, they're either a masterpiece or just incredibly charming. A few such as Arrietty don't manage to hit either of those notes, but fortunately they're the exception to the rule.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I watched two more since posting that: Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.

I have spent the last seventeen years hearing nothing but great things about the first film, with multiple sources claiming it was the definitive traditionally-animated film and a must-watch for everyone even slightly interested in animation.

I fought tooth and nail against the idea, since I couldn't believe such a thing existed, but I finally caved in and gave it a watch.

...To say I'm blown away is the understatement of a life time. It's almost giving me an existential crisis, it's so good.

Unfortunately, songs aside, I got largely bored by Totoro. Seems like it builds up to no delivery.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 

I have spent the last seventeen years hearing nothing but great things about the first film, with multiple sources claiming it was the definitive traditionally-animated film and a must-watch for everyone even slightly interested in animation.

I fought tooth and nail against the idea, since I couldn't believe such a thing existed, but I finally caved in and gave it a watch.

...To say I'm blown away is the understatement of a life time. It's almost giving me an existential crisis, it's so good.

Unfortunately, songs aside, I got largely bored by Totoro. Seems like it builds up to no delivery.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Right now, I'm watching the semi-finals of the UK Snooker Championship, featuring Mark Allen vs. Stuart Bingham. About 45 minutes ago, Bingham was in a commanding lead, but now, Allen has fought back to a position where he's only one frame away from winning :O .

It's weird how sharply and suddenly the momentum swings in this game, really. In a "First to 10" match, you'll sometimes get a player who runs away into a 9-2 lead, but then loses 10-9. It's unusual, but not as unusual as it sounds like it should be.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Right now, I'm watching the semi-finals of the UK Snooker Championship, featuring Mark Allen vs. Stuart Bingham. About 45 minutes ago, Bingham was in a commanding lead, but now, Allen has fought back to a position where he's only one frame away from winning :O .

It's weird how sharply and suddenly the momentum swings in this game, really. In a "First to 10" match, you'll sometimes get a player who runs away into a 9-2 lead, but then loses 10-9. It's unusual, but not as unusual as it sounds like it should be.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342
WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
(Nov 13th, 2018, 07:13 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

I looove Studio Ghibli movies! My Neighbour Totoro has always been one of my favourites, but that's likely because I loved it as a kid too. I recommend Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle as well! 

The last thing I watched was My Hero Academia!
[Image: ldgamalthea.png]
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342 WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
(Nov 13th, 2018, 07:13 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

I looove Studio Ghibli movies! My Neighbour Totoro has always been one of my favourites, but that's likely because I loved it as a kid too. I recommend Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle as well! 

The last thing I watched was My Hero Academia!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I used to love Studio Ghibli movies a lot, but got a little sick of them because they would be played on TV all the time every year without fail during the summer in England, and even not watching the movies didn't let me avoid the commercials for them and there's only so many times I can see the same scenes over and over again before they quickly lose their charm. Sad

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
I was iffy on this show from seeing a still shot of the turtle designs, but watching it today in motion the animation for this show is superb and I love the art style. Not sure what the episode was I watched this morning, but the moment where Raphael loses his patience with a little device when trying to open a portal with it and then throws it full force at the wall, only for it to instantly bounce back and smack him in the head, is one of the funniest animated things I've seen in ages! XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I used to love Studio Ghibli movies a lot, but got a little sick of them because they would be played on TV all the time every year without fail during the summer in England, and even not watching the movies didn't let me avoid the commercials for them and there's only so many times I can see the same scenes over and over again before they quickly lose their charm. Sad

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
I was iffy on this show from seeing a still shot of the turtle designs, but watching it today in motion the animation for this show is superb and I love the art style. Not sure what the episode was I watched this morning, but the moment where Raphael loses his patience with a little device when trying to open a portal with it and then throws it full force at the wall, only for it to instantly bounce back and smack him in the head, is one of the funniest animated things I've seen in ages! XD
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Last movie I watched was Boss Baby, it was really cute & I liked a lot of the movie. I did have a bit of an issue with the ending as you weren't able to see the character's faces when they were older & I take issue with that due to the whole 'Nanny' thing with the Muppet Babies as she only had legs & no upper body throughout the series.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Last movie I watched was Boss Baby, it was really cute & I liked a lot of the movie. I did have a bit of an issue with the ending as you weren't able to see the character's faces when they were older & I take issue with that due to the whole 'Nanny' thing with the Muppet Babies as she only had legs & no upper body throughout the series.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
While waiting to get better, I've been watching my DVD of Haruhi Season 2, and finally got to the end of Endless Eight for the second time. Might've missed one episode, but hard to remember what you've watched when you spread it out over two separate days. XD First time I watched five or six of them I believe. Think I appreciated them more, as I was more willing to sit through and notice the slight differences each time.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
While waiting to get better, I've been watching my DVD of Haruhi Season 2, and finally got to the end of Endless Eight for the second time. Might've missed one episode, but hard to remember what you've watched when you spread it out over two separate days. XD First time I watched five or six of them I believe. Think I appreciated them more, as I was more willing to sit through and notice the slight differences each time.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the best part of sitting through Endless Eight is noticing that they actually reanimated and recast all those episodes, individually. I also watched them all in like one-sitting so I know how you feel XD

Didn't watch it fully since I came online after dinner, but caught a bit of Moana tonight. Seemed good from the parts I saw. I just gotta sit down and enjoy the rest!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the best part of sitting through Endless Eight is noticing that they actually reanimated and recast all those episodes, individually. I also watched them all in like one-sitting so I know how you feel XD

Didn't watch it fully since I came online after dinner, but caught a bit of Moana tonight. Seemed good from the parts I saw. I just gotta sit down and enjoy the rest!
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, on the PS4. Since technically SquareEnix made it into a movie instead of porting over the DS version of the game.

I'm watching some local news atmo though. :3
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, on the PS4. Since technically SquareEnix made it into a movie instead of porting over the DS version of the game.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:42 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Any interesting local stories happening? Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342
WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
This Is Us
[Image: ldgamalthea.png]
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342 WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
This Is Us
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Had Top Gear and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on while I was resting and sorting some stuff out. Then the incident happened, so nothing much to watch after. When things got working again, continued with what I was doing earlier while my sister had The Good Place on.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Had Top Gear and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on while I was resting and sorting some stuff out. Then the incident happened, so nothing much to watch after. When things got working again, continued with what I was doing earlier while my sister had The Good Place on.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Jan 24th, 2019, 02:27 AM)Moonface Wrote:
The whole Cov Cath thing. Tongue

Last thing I watched was Murder She Wrote.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Jan 24th, 2019, 02:27 AM)Moonface Wrote:
The whole Cov Cath thing. Tongue

Last thing I watched was Murder She Wrote.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
A few things.

RWBY Volume 6, all episodes. Didn't realise it was ongoing since October, so no waiting time was cool. Animation was great. Story was good to OK, after seeing a related video to it that made me like a certain part less. Then again didn't particularly enjoy it in the first place. XD

Rising of the Shield Hero, episodes 1-4. I haven't been watching new anime series lately, but are there others starting to have the first episode longer than normal? Because wow, 40+ minutes? I was surprised to see that, for this was kinda necessary to get an audience in really.
Following the novel/manga well so far. Don't want to see a somewhat drastic difference mid way like Akame ga Kill's anime though. Do appreciate trying to be different, but I dunno, usually goes wrong in my eyes. XD Then again probably won't get a second season. We'll see.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
A few things.

RWBY Volume 6, all episodes. Didn't realise it was ongoing since October, so no waiting time was cool. Animation was great. Story was good to OK, after seeing a related video to it that made me like a certain part less. Then again didn't particularly enjoy it in the first place. XD

Rising of the Shield Hero, episodes 1-4. I haven't been watching new anime series lately, but are there others starting to have the first episode longer than normal? Because wow, 40+ minutes? I was surprised to see that, for this was kinda necessary to get an audience in really.
Following the novel/manga well so far. Don't want to see a somewhat drastic difference mid way like Akame ga Kill's anime though. Do appreciate trying to be different, but I dunno, usually goes wrong in my eyes. XD Then again probably won't get a second season. We'll see.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current/Last Thing You Listened To? ShiraNoMai 522 147,576 Mar 26th, 2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Your Current Device Wallpaper/Lock Screen? Moonface 18 6,617 Jul 20th, 2023, 11:44 PM
  You Change the Colour of One Thing. What Happens? Moonface 4 3,840 Jun 15th, 2020, 01:52 AM