General Game Chat
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I was curious to see what it was, but it looks like it's been removed. I scrolled through all the Tweets and didn't see anything. Darn, I was really curious to see what it was too.

As for the PC, Monocle built me one already, just gotta save up the money for it. It's a $3,000 beast of a machine, so it'll be damn good. I can get $2,000 of that loaned through Affirm, so that helps. Just need to have enough to comfortably afford the other $1,200-ish I'll need to pay. It'll be my Christmas present to myself, so the goal is to get it by next month (even though it probably won't arrive until January-February if I buy it in December).
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I was curious to see what it was, but it looks like it's been removed. I scrolled through all the Tweets and didn't see anything. Darn, I was really curious to see what it was too.

As for the PC, Monocle built me one already, just gotta save up the money for it. It's a $3,000 beast of a machine, so it'll be damn good. I can get $2,000 of that loaned through Affirm, so that helps. Just need to have enough to comfortably afford the other $1,200-ish I'll need to pay. It'll be my Christmas present to myself, so the goal is to get it by next month (even though it probably won't arrive until January-February if I buy it in December).
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 12th, 2021, 07:40 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Holy crap that sounds more costly than I'd expect for a PC. XD

I don't know if anyone else has seen the wonderful launch of GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition but I think it may have just managed to get the worst user score of any game on Metacritic, with the game currently sitting at a 0.5 rating based on 2054 reviews. I've been hearing bad things about the game since it launched, including the games using the default Unity font or Comic Sans, spelling errors, the game being pulled from PC a day after launch, rain basically making it impossible to see, and so many other things I can't remember the rest but I know they're worse than what I've listed.
It's amazing how AAA companies with huge reputations and player good will behind them keep managing to screw up this badly, especially once one of them does it. It's almost like they're making it a contest at this point. Rolleyes
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 12th, 2021, 07:40 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Holy crap that sounds more costly than I'd expect for a PC. XD

I don't know if anyone else has seen the wonderful launch of GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition but I think it may have just managed to get the worst user score of any game on Metacritic, with the game currently sitting at a 0.5 rating based on 2054 reviews. I've been hearing bad things about the game since it launched, including the games using the default Unity font or Comic Sans, spelling errors, the game being pulled from PC a day after launch, rain basically making it impossible to see, and so many other things I can't remember the rest but I know they're worse than what I've listed.
It's amazing how AAA companies with huge reputations and player good will behind them keep managing to screw up this badly, especially once one of them does it. It's almost like they're making it a contest at this point. Rolleyes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
A lot of the cost of it comes from it having a 3080 in it (currently the best option for price vs performance, as a 3090 is almost $2,000 by itself), so that's a big reason why the price is up there. Unfortunately if you want to get a good GPU, you have to pay up for it right now. Prices of everything are so inflated due to shortages/scalpers.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
A lot of the cost of it comes from it having a 3080 in it (currently the best option for price vs performance, as a 3090 is almost $2,000 by itself), so that's a big reason why the price is up there. Unfortunately if you want to get a good GPU, you have to pay up for it right now. Prices of everything are so inflated due to shortages/scalpers.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Quote:Do you intend to level him up at all or are you just having him chill with you? By the sounds of the rest of your team I get the feeling you finished the bulk of the game and just managed to grab an Omanyte after the fact

Oh, he is a level 15 pet.

But have used it for battling lesser enemies.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Quote:Do you intend to level him up at all or are you just having him chill with you? By the sounds of the rest of your team I get the feeling you finished the bulk of the game and just managed to grab an Omanyte after the fact

Oh, he is a level 15 pet.

But have used it for battling lesser enemies.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Nightingale: Since I'm curious, what is it about Omanyte that you like so much? Smile

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Nightingale: Since I'm curious, what is it about Omanyte that you like so much? Smile
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Nov 16th, 2021, 12:43 AM)Moonface Wrote:

See, when I was a kid (this would have been around 98) there was this crazy cool, local Pokémon TCG that was really hard to get a hold of and someone I didn't even know gave me his spare Omanyte card. I played the hell outta card and eventually wound up with 148 cards (damn nearly the whole set). Since then, I can only think of Omanyte when I think of Pokémon.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Nov 16th, 2021, 12:43 AM)Moonface Wrote:

See, when I was a kid (this would have been around 98) there was this crazy cool, local Pokémon TCG that was really hard to get a hold of and someone I didn't even know gave me his spare Omanyte card. I played the hell outta card and eventually wound up with 148 cards (damn nearly the whole set). Since then, I can only think of Omanyte when I think of Pokémon.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 10th, 2021, 08:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:
So the Golden Joystick Awards are currently happening, and this year they've got a new public voting category called Ultimate Game of All Time, where the public can vote to name one of the following games as the best of all time:
  • Minecraft
  • The Last of Us
  • DOOM (1993)
  • Tetris
  • Super Mario 64
  • Street Fighter II
  • Space Invaders
  • Portal
  • Pokemon GO
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Dark Souls
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half-Life 2
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Pac-Man
  • SimCity (1989)
This is how the shortlist was determined:
GamesRadar+ Wrote:
For Ultimate Game of All Time, we had to narrow the 1.1 million or so games released in the last 50 years into a voting shortlist of 20 titles. We did this by creating a long list of several hundred titles using existing best of all time lists from Edge Magazine and Retro Gamer magazine, plus the addition of every Ultimate Game of the Year winner from the Golden Joystick Awards (established 1983). This long list was then put to a panel of industry judges who created the shortlist of 20 you can see through the voting module.
I'm not sure on some of the games included here. OoT should absolutely be in over BotW, and I'm surprised there's nothing for Final Fantasy in the list either. I feel like Pokemon GO got in because it's just the most notable mobile game and the first of its type, but I'd rather that game have been a mainline Pokemon game rather than some mobile spin-off that is never going to be talked about as much as things like Red/Blue and such.

I haven't viewed the shortlists for their other categories yet, but I just wanted to share this one because it stood out to me, especially with how much of a monumental task it is to determine what game is the ultimate one of all. I'm not even sure myself if it can be accurately decided because of differences in genre, time, quality and impact. One game might be overall better than another but the lesser one could have made a much bigger impact in gaming overall in some way, so then how do you decide which of those two is actually the ultimate?
To update on this, Dark Souls received the award for Ultimate Game of All Time: https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-is...ck-awards/

I don't really have any feelings on it except that I'm glad it wasn't something like Pokemon Go that won when it had no right to be a nominee in the first place.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 10th, 2021, 08:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:
So the Golden Joystick Awards are currently happening, and this year they've got a new public voting category called Ultimate Game of All Time, where the public can vote to name one of the following games as the best of all time:
  • Minecraft
  • The Last of Us
  • DOOM (1993)
  • Tetris
  • Super Mario 64
  • Street Fighter II
  • Space Invaders
  • Portal
  • Pokemon GO
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Dark Souls
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half-Life 2
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Pac-Man
  • SimCity (1989)
This is how the shortlist was determined:
GamesRadar+ Wrote:
For Ultimate Game of All Time, we had to narrow the 1.1 million or so games released in the last 50 years into a voting shortlist of 20 titles. We did this by creating a long list of several hundred titles using existing best of all time lists from Edge Magazine and Retro Gamer magazine, plus the addition of every Ultimate Game of the Year winner from the Golden Joystick Awards (established 1983). This long list was then put to a panel of industry judges who created the shortlist of 20 you can see through the voting module.
I'm not sure on some of the games included here. OoT should absolutely be in over BotW, and I'm surprised there's nothing for Final Fantasy in the list either. I feel like Pokemon GO got in because it's just the most notable mobile game and the first of its type, but I'd rather that game have been a mainline Pokemon game rather than some mobile spin-off that is never going to be talked about as much as things like Red/Blue and such.

I haven't viewed the shortlists for their other categories yet, but I just wanted to share this one because it stood out to me, especially with how much of a monumental task it is to determine what game is the ultimate one of all. I'm not even sure myself if it can be accurately decided because of differences in genre, time, quality and impact. One game might be overall better than another but the lesser one could have made a much bigger impact in gaming overall in some way, so then how do you decide which of those two is actually the ultimate?
To update on this, Dark Souls received the award for Ultimate Game of All Time: https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-is...ck-awards/

I don't really have any feelings on it except that I'm glad it wasn't something like Pokemon Go that won when it had no right to be a nominee in the first place.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Dark Souls was a good choice. I'd have been content with any of those (with some notable exceptions, of course).
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Dark Souls was a good choice. I'd have been content with any of those (with some notable exceptions, of course).
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
But Deus Ex, which is often considered to be the Greatest PC Game of All-Time, wasn't even a nominee...
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
But Deus Ex, which is often considered to be the Greatest PC Game of All-Time, wasn't even a nominee...
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As a huge Dark Souls fan, I can say that Dark Souls is definitely not the ultimate game of all time (top 10 for me personally though). but I am happy to see that it won over games like The Last of Us, Minecraft, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Go, Grand Theft Auto V, Breath of the Wild, Halo, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty and SimCity.

From the list they had, Dark Souls or Super Mario Bros 3 were the only two I would have wanted to see win, and I'm glad that one of them did.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As a huge Dark Souls fan, I can say that Dark Souls is definitely not the ultimate game of all time (top 10 for me personally though). but I am happy to see that it won over games like The Last of Us, Minecraft, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Go, Grand Theft Auto V, Breath of the Wild, Halo, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty and SimCity.

From the list they had, Dark Souls or Super Mario Bros 3 were the only two I would have wanted to see win, and I'm glad that one of them did.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Nov 24th, 2021, 03:08 AM)Moonface Wrote:

DARK SOULS?! DARK SOULS WON?! ARE YOU F***ING SERIOUS, WHAT THE HELL!
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Nov 24th, 2021, 03:08 AM)Moonface Wrote:

DARK SOULS?! DARK SOULS WON?! ARE YOU F***ING SERIOUS, WHAT THE HELL!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 24th, 2021, 05:49 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Wow, it is? Not that I'm doubting you; I've just never read that about the game before and barely hear of it in general so I'm surprised it's apparently a game held in such a high regard. What do you or people generally think it does to have it be considered the best PC game ever? Unsure

And since almost everyone doesn't agree with the chosen game (at least when considered alongside any games that weren't even an option), what game would you folks put as the greatest of all time? Smile

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 24th, 2021, 05:49 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Wow, it is? Not that I'm doubting you; I've just never read that about the game before and barely hear of it in general so I'm surprised it's apparently a game held in such a high regard. What do you or people generally think it does to have it be considered the best PC game ever? Unsure

And since almost everyone doesn't agree with the chosen game (at least when considered alongside any games that weren't even an option), what game would you folks put as the greatest of all time? Smile
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Well, I do agree that of the games on that particular list, Dark Souls is the greatest one of them, and it's definitely a top-10 game of all-time. I just think the list itself was a flawed idea, because there's way too many games getting snubbed that should be on there.

As for what I think the greatest game of all time is? I don't know. That's a really hard question to answer in a general sense. What's the greatest game of all time to me? Probably NieR: Automata. It hit perfectly on every aspect.

Amazing music? Check
Good visuals? Check
Fun and smooth gameplay? Check
Story that can keep player interest? Check

So, on a personal level, that is the greatest game of all time to me. On a non-biased, partial level? Impossible to answer.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Well, I do agree that of the games on that particular list, Dark Souls is the greatest one of them, and it's definitely a top-10 game of all-time. I just think the list itself was a flawed idea, because there's way too many games getting snubbed that should be on there.

As for what I think the greatest game of all time is? I don't know. That's a really hard question to answer in a general sense. What's the greatest game of all time to me? Probably NieR: Automata. It hit perfectly on every aspect.

Amazing music? Check
Good visuals? Check
Fun and smooth gameplay? Check
Story that can keep player interest? Check

So, on a personal level, that is the greatest game of all time to me. On a non-biased, partial level? Impossible to answer.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I really don't think any single game can be deemed the best one of them all either. One game could have been revolutionary in genre A and another in genre B, or one could be the best game of all time for racing and another for RPG's even if they don't revolutionize anything. I think even if you managed to get the best games across multiple categories, it would still be incredibly difficult to then pick the best one from all of those.

I don't even know what I'd choose as my winner from the list that Games Radar put together. I haven't played a good number of the games in the list that on paper have the potential to be the winner, and even that aside I still can't decide because it's tough to compare something like Halo up against Dark Souls because it's too hard for me to compare them when Halo might be amazing with gun combat but Dark Souls is amazing with its combat, and I don't see how they can be objectively compared when they don't have any similarities in that area. These sort of things really only work when comparing similar things, either with them all releasing in the same year, genre, etc.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I really don't think any single game can be deemed the best one of them all either. One game could have been revolutionary in genre A and another in genre B, or one could be the best game of all time for racing and another for RPG's even if they don't revolutionize anything. I think even if you managed to get the best games across multiple categories, it would still be incredibly difficult to then pick the best one from all of those.

I don't even know what I'd choose as my winner from the list that Games Radar put together. I haven't played a good number of the games in the list that on paper have the potential to be the winner, and even that aside I still can't decide because it's tough to compare something like Halo up against Dark Souls because it's too hard for me to compare them when Halo might be amazing with gun combat but Dark Souls is amazing with its combat, and I don't see how they can be objectively compared when they don't have any similarities in that area. These sort of things really only work when comparing similar things, either with them all releasing in the same year, genre, etc.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Plus there's the issue that you can't really compare games from different genres. You gonna tell me that you can make any sort of comparison between a 3D Platforming collect-a-thon and a 100+ hour epic RPG? Nah, that ain't happening.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Plus there's the issue that you can't really compare games from different genres. You gonna tell me that you can make any sort of comparison between a 3D Platforming collect-a-thon and a 100+ hour epic RPG? Nah, that ain't happening.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 771 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,903 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface