Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Probably; according to what I'm reading, the PS2 could actually output a 1080i signal, so after that it's just a matter of cleaning the signal it outputs. Outside of that, IDK what they might have done.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Probably; according to what I'm reading, the PS2 could actually output a 1080i signal, so after that it's just a matter of cleaning the signal it outputs. Outside of that, IDK what they might have done.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
well upscaling isn't exactly the same to my knowledge. Increasing the internal resolution actually changes the rendered resolution itself. So it's rendered at 5k, not just upscale with post processing applied to it as typical with up scaling like DLSS. 

Here's two more games, granted one was on my phone but same shit.

aaaand another game!

as you can tell, they're both still clearly games from their respective consoles but what emulators can do is just elevate them so much more. Not new models or new textures but increasing that rendered resolution clears up so much of the image.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
well upscaling isn't exactly the same to my knowledge. Increasing the internal resolution actually changes the rendered resolution itself. So it's rendered at 5k, not just upscale with post processing applied to it as typical with up scaling like DLSS. 

Here's two more games, granted one was on my phone but same shit.

aaaand another game!

as you can tell, they're both still clearly games from their respective consoles but what emulators can do is just elevate them so much more. Not new models or new textures but increasing that rendered resolution clears up so much of the image.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It would be awesome if there was something you could plug into an old console to make it render the image better so that what you're showing @Monocle isn't limited to emulation. I do have a thing that can hook an old console up with HDMI but I don't remember if it affected the image quality at all or just let my UK consoles display an image on a US TV. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It would be awesome if there was something you could plug into an old console to make it render the image better so that what you're showing @Monocle isn't limited to emulation. I do have a thing that can hook an old console up with HDMI but I don't remember if it affected the image quality at all or just let my UK consoles display an image on a US TV. Tongue
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Aug 10th, 2021, 11:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think the best they can do is post processing to smooth the image? it isn't really a higher rendered image. besides, modern TVs do a much better job of that than any of those plug in hdmi things could do. It's a shame though. These games could've done so much more but were limited by the hardware.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Aug 10th, 2021, 11:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think the best they can do is post processing to smooth the image? it isn't really a higher rendered image. besides, modern TVs do a much better job of that than any of those plug in hdmi things could do. It's a shame though. These games could've done so much more but were limited by the hardware.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know why I'm surprised to see it but there's now yet another version of Skyrim being made and coming out for PC and current gen systems. I don't know what extras it has other than fishing now being a thing, but I suspect it's probably just better graphics, which seems a bit bullshit to charge for when I'm sure there's a free mod out there for such a thing on the PC version.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know why I'm surprised to see it but there's now yet another version of Skyrim being made and coming out for PC and current gen systems. I don't know what extras it has other than fishing now being a thing, but I suspect it's probably just better graphics, which seems a bit bullshit to charge for when I'm sure there's a free mod out there for such a thing on the PC version.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
It's not even releasing for current gen systems, lmao. I don't know about on Xbox, but it's releasing for the PS4 with backwards compatibility with PS5. They couldn't even be bothered to make a true PS5 version and are just going to basically re-release the Special Edition that released on PS4 a few years ago. I haven't looked to see if the current Special Edition on PS4 is backwards compatible with PS5 currently, but if it's not, then they basically decided to release the same exact game on PS4 again and charge full price for it, instead of just patching it to run on PS5.

The only difference between the Special Edition and this upcoming Anniversary Edition is that this one will have some content from the Creators Club and will now have Fishing -- both of which could have just been patched into the current PS4 version as well.

Though apparently it'll be a free upgrade for people who already own the Special Edition. You'll get three pieces of Creation Club content with the upgrade, however you'll have to pay an extra fee to unlock the "Anniversary Edition" for the rest of the new content (probably around $20-$30 like most other cases of this happening).

But man, I probably would have dipped on this if it was a native PS5 version, because they could have made some pretty major upgrades to the game, but this means that not only with the upgrades be minimal, there also won't be a separate trophy list for it (though I guess they could add some fishing related trophies, but seeing how lazy they are being in making this, I doubt it).

You'd think they'd actually put some effort into this for once, considering it's supposed to be celebrating Skyrim's 10th anniversary, but nope. Gonna be the laziest, most worthless fucks for devs like usual.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
It's not even releasing for current gen systems, lmao. I don't know about on Xbox, but it's releasing for the PS4 with backwards compatibility with PS5. They couldn't even be bothered to make a true PS5 version and are just going to basically re-release the Special Edition that released on PS4 a few years ago. I haven't looked to see if the current Special Edition on PS4 is backwards compatible with PS5 currently, but if it's not, then they basically decided to release the same exact game on PS4 again and charge full price for it, instead of just patching it to run on PS5.

The only difference between the Special Edition and this upcoming Anniversary Edition is that this one will have some content from the Creators Club and will now have Fishing -- both of which could have just been patched into the current PS4 version as well.

Though apparently it'll be a free upgrade for people who already own the Special Edition. You'll get three pieces of Creation Club content with the upgrade, however you'll have to pay an extra fee to unlock the "Anniversary Edition" for the rest of the new content (probably around $20-$30 like most other cases of this happening).

But man, I probably would have dipped on this if it was a native PS5 version, because they could have made some pretty major upgrades to the game, but this means that not only with the upgrades be minimal, there also won't be a separate trophy list for it (though I guess they could add some fishing related trophies, but seeing how lazy they are being in making this, I doubt it).

You'd think they'd actually put some effort into this for once, considering it's supposed to be celebrating Skyrim's 10th anniversary, but nope. Gonna be the laziest, most worthless fucks for devs like usual.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I just looked up the details and it's just basically adding fishing and a ton of creator content. Neat for consoles I guess, but why would anyone buy it on PC when they presumably have access to all those creation pieces via the Steam workshop or somewhere?

I'd hope the majority of creator content being behind a paywall means they're all being compensated, but even if they were, 500 creations dividing up $30 is so little I doubt the game could sell enough copies to net any of those creators a decent amount of compensation.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I just looked up the details and it's just basically adding fishing and a ton of creator content. Neat for consoles I guess, but why would anyone buy it on PC when they presumably have access to all those creation pieces via the Steam workshop or somewhere?

I'd hope the majority of creator content being behind a paywall means they're all being compensated, but even if they were, 500 creations dividing up $30 is so little I doubt the game could sell enough copies to net any of those creators a decent amount of compensation.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Hey, on the bright side, since I own the Special Edition on PS4, I can upgrade to the Anniversary Edition for free, and only have to pay for the addition of the Creation Club content, which will probably be $20-$30 if other games that did stuff like this are an example to be followed.

The best part about this is that Bethesda was so bad at announcing exactly what this is going to be, that people can't figure out if there's going to be a native PS5 version, or if it's only going to be the PS4 version running on the PS5 via backwards capability.

Bethesda has this in their own article:

Quote:Additionally, Skyrim Special Edition owners on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S, as well as Xbox Game Pass subscribers on Xbox Series X|S will receive a free upgrade to an enhanced version on November 11 for their respective PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S systems!

Which is confusing as hell for people, because Special Edition was PS4/Xbone, not PS5/XSX. So either they typo'd that part, or they don't know what the hell they are talking about. Or they did a very bad job of trying to say "People who own the Special Edition will get a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition that they can also play on PS5/XSX."

PS Blog specifically states that the game will be a PS4 game with bc on PS5. I got into a bit of a discussion with Monocle because he insisted the Bethesda article proves that a native PS5/XSX version will be made after release, but to me the Bethesda post is what I explained (about them very poorly trying to say that owners of the PS4/XBone SE will get a free upgrade that they can then play on PS5/XSX).

But there are actually a lot of people out there confused on whether or not there will be a dedicated PS5/XSX version or not. You'd think they'd try to clear that up a little bit and explain it better, but that would require work too and we all know how much Bethesda hates putting work into their games.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Hey, on the bright side, since I own the Special Edition on PS4, I can upgrade to the Anniversary Edition for free, and only have to pay for the addition of the Creation Club content, which will probably be $20-$30 if other games that did stuff like this are an example to be followed.

The best part about this is that Bethesda was so bad at announcing exactly what this is going to be, that people can't figure out if there's going to be a native PS5 version, or if it's only going to be the PS4 version running on the PS5 via backwards capability.

Bethesda has this in their own article:

Quote:Additionally, Skyrim Special Edition owners on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S, as well as Xbox Game Pass subscribers on Xbox Series X|S will receive a free upgrade to an enhanced version on November 11 for their respective PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S systems!

Which is confusing as hell for people, because Special Edition was PS4/Xbone, not PS5/XSX. So either they typo'd that part, or they don't know what the hell they are talking about. Or they did a very bad job of trying to say "People who own the Special Edition will get a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition that they can also play on PS5/XSX."

PS Blog specifically states that the game will be a PS4 game with bc on PS5. I got into a bit of a discussion with Monocle because he insisted the Bethesda article proves that a native PS5/XSX version will be made after release, but to me the Bethesda post is what I explained (about them very poorly trying to say that owners of the PS4/XBone SE will get a free upgrade that they can then play on PS5/XSX).

But there are actually a lot of people out there confused on whether or not there will be a dedicated PS5/XSX version or not. You'd think they'd try to clear that up a little bit and explain it better, but that would require work too and we all know how much Bethesda hates putting work into their games.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If a native PS5/XSX version was made down the line, I could see a lot of people being pissed off if they paid for the full content of the Anniversary Edition on a BC copy of the game only to have a native edition announced, unless that edition was free to those people but I doubt it, since a native version would probably have work put into it that I doubt would be given out for free.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If a native PS5/XSX version was made down the line, I could see a lot of people being pissed off if they paid for the full content of the Anniversary Edition on a BC copy of the game only to have a native edition announced, unless that edition was free to those people but I doubt it, since a native version would probably have work put into it that I doubt would be given out for free.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I love that Todd Howard legitimately said with his full chest "millions of people every month" still play Skyrim, and "that's why [Bethesda] will keep releasing it."

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I love that Todd Howard legitimately said with his full chest "millions of people every month" still play Skyrim, and "that's why [Bethesda] will keep releasing it."

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What Todd says is really proof that a lot of the bad practices in the game industry only happen because so many people enable it. Millions playing Skyrim isn't the sole reason to re-release it; it's how many of those millions will go out and buy the game yet again and how many new players the game can attract with a new release. There are likely a lot of young teenagers who weren't old enough to play the game at one of its earlier launches but will certainly be old enough to pick the game up now.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What Todd says is really proof that a lot of the bad practices in the game industry only happen because so many people enable it. Millions playing Skyrim isn't the sole reason to re-release it; it's how many of those millions will go out and buy the game yet again and how many new players the game can attract with a new release. There are likely a lot of young teenagers who weren't old enough to play the game at one of its earlier launches but will certainly be old enough to pick the game up now.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, I suppose this also applies to Nintendo as well. People begrudge their practices and yet time and time again shows fans will always buy up whatever they serve them, regardless of quality. And Nintendo knows this and gets away with it, largely unscathed. Same for its subsidiaries like GameFreak.

I don't blame them for getting away with it. It'll eventually burn up, but for their short-term investments, I can't say as a business it'd be a stupid thing to do to keep these practices up.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, I suppose this also applies to Nintendo as well. People begrudge their practices and yet time and time again shows fans will always buy up whatever they serve them, regardless of quality. And Nintendo knows this and gets away with it, largely unscathed. Same for its subsidiaries like GameFreak.

I don't blame them for getting away with it. It'll eventually burn up, but for their short-term investments, I can't say as a business it'd be a stupid thing to do to keep these practices up.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, it's the same for DLC and such. It only got as big as it has because enough people make it profitable to keep doing it. Same with Konami going all in on pachinko machines; they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't making bank with less investment needed than making actual games.

Next Thursday there's going to be a PlayStation Showcase focusing on the future of PS5, with updates from PlayStation Studios and industry-leading devs.
Anyone hoping to see anything in particular? Smile

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, it's the same for DLC and such. It only got as big as it has because enough people make it profitable to keep doing it. Same with Konami going all in on pachinko machines; they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't making bank with less investment needed than making actual games.

Next Thursday there's going to be a PlayStation Showcase focusing on the future of PS5, with updates from PlayStation Studios and industry-leading devs.
Anyone hoping to see anything in particular? Smile
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Bloodborne 2 or else I'm setting my PS5, PS4 and Vita on fire and switching to an Atari 2600 main, where they know how to treat their fans right.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Bloodborne 2 or else I'm setting my PS5, PS4 and Vita on fire and switching to an Atari 2600 main, where they know how to treat their fans right.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pfft, forget Bloodborne 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Thrice is where it's at. Tongue

In seriousness, I hope there's some Elden Ring gameplay, considering that there were recent previews that had gameplay that couldn't be shown at all. Maybe it was being saved for this. Grin

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pfft, forget Bloodborne 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Thrice is where it's at. Tongue

In seriousness, I hope there's some Elden Ring gameplay, considering that there were recent previews that had gameplay that couldn't be shown at all. Maybe it was being saved for this. Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,846 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface