What's It Like Where You Live?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think about the people who come here a lot, and randomly wondered what it's like where everyone lives since most of us all live in completely different states/countries to each other. If you've happened to live in notably different areas, then feel free to share what those places were like too. Smile

Where I live currently is a pretty nice area. The weather gets stupid hot a lot of the time because it's Florida, but despite the amount of crazy stories the state has the majority of people I encounter are actually nice and very sociable. There's also a lot of stuff to do within close proximity to me, and my house is within close range to a lot of nice stores and restaurants. ^_^
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think about the people who come here a lot, and randomly wondered what it's like where everyone lives since most of us all live in completely different states/countries to each other. If you've happened to live in notably different areas, then feel free to share what those places were like too. Smile

Where I live currently is a pretty nice area. The weather gets stupid hot a lot of the time because it's Florida, but despite the amount of crazy stories the state has the majority of people I encounter are actually nice and very sociable. There's also a lot of stuff to do within close proximity to me, and my house is within close range to a lot of nice stores and restaurants. ^_^
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I've lived in the same area all my life, I know we lived in a different house here when I was a toddler but I ave no memory of that home. Anyway, there's not much to do here. Like no activity places...I suppose there's a swimming pool (used both for school and local) and a gym. Yay we have an Asda and now a recently opened Sainsbury's...whoo supermarkets. There are other small shops but they're kinda for menial things or smaller convenience stores. There's quite a lot of places to eat though, too much I'd say for the area but so far most of been about for a long while, although some could be struggling in current times. I know we have four Chinese (two are solely takeaway) which is mad, heck we used to have 6 (one was new but didn't last). The sixth came around when the fifth was going I think? Yes, I have used them all, at the moment I've been using one though out of the four.

There is volunteering work I've done but again of current state that's been on hold, they did start again last month but of course the lockdown now has stopped it again. Also there's somewhere I like to walk but I haven't done so for a while though, it's where our secondary school does a cross-country run, but I like to walk it.

We have a train station and bus routes if we want to go somewhere better if you can't drive or don't want to for some reason. Like to a cinema which we used to have long ago now. Yeah, not much here. Weather is standard UK weather, some sun, mostly clouds and rain when you don't want it.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I've lived in the same area all my life, I know we lived in a different house here when I was a toddler but I ave no memory of that home. Anyway, there's not much to do here. Like no activity places...I suppose there's a swimming pool (used both for school and local) and a gym. Yay we have an Asda and now a recently opened Sainsbury's...whoo supermarkets. There are other small shops but they're kinda for menial things or smaller convenience stores. There's quite a lot of places to eat though, too much I'd say for the area but so far most of been about for a long while, although some could be struggling in current times. I know we have four Chinese (two are solely takeaway) which is mad, heck we used to have 6 (one was new but didn't last). The sixth came around when the fifth was going I think? Yes, I have used them all, at the moment I've been using one though out of the four.

There is volunteering work I've done but again of current state that's been on hold, they did start again last month but of course the lockdown now has stopped it again. Also there's somewhere I like to walk but I haven't done so for a while though, it's where our secondary school does a cross-country run, but I like to walk it.

We have a train station and bus routes if we want to go somewhere better if you can't drive or don't want to for some reason. Like to a cinema which we used to have long ago now. Yeah, not much here. Weather is standard UK weather, some sun, mostly clouds and rain when you don't want it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
What kinds of food places do you have near you, EL? Moony mentions there's literally nothing there but Chinese and Indian takeaways, and standard fare British pub food. LOL

I love the area we've moved in. Probably one of my favorite places I've moved to in my life. I've moved quite a few times in my life since my mom always had job transfers and such come up during my lifetime, but it's always been in the South Florida region.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
What kinds of food places do you have near you, EL? Moony mentions there's literally nothing there but Chinese and Indian takeaways, and standard fare British pub food. LOL

I love the area we've moved in. Probably one of my favorite places I've moved to in my life. I've moved quite a few times in my life since my mom always had job transfers and such come up during my lifetime, but it's always been in the South Florida region.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 3rd, 2020, 11:37 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
There's quite a lot of places to eat though, too much I'd say for the area but so far most of been about for a long while, although some could be struggling in current times. I know we have four Chinese (two are solely takeaway) which is mad, heck we used to have 6 (one was new but didn't last). The sixth came around when the fifth was going I think? Yes, I have used them all, at the moment I've been using one though out of the four.
Definitely an overabundance of food outlets in our home town. I get why, it's because any other business is doomed to fail or struggle a lot because Asda covers a lot of bases (can't speak for Sainsbury's as it was added after I left) and takeout is the one thing Asda isn't going to ever compete on because they don't serve hot food, and even if they did they can't offer everything that everywhere does, nor do delivery services (although I wouldn't put it past them to try and shaft it onto the home shopping drivers). I assume the restaurants there can't just be open for takeout, since you say they're struggling yet I'd imagine that a lot could continue fine with just doing takeout. Woodham Grill for example is literally only takeout so I can't see how Covid could really do them in except for the possible issue of having all the cooks so close to each other behind the counter, but considering that place is family run I don't see it mattering.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 3rd, 2020, 11:37 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
There's quite a lot of places to eat though, too much I'd say for the area but so far most of been about for a long while, although some could be struggling in current times. I know we have four Chinese (two are solely takeaway) which is mad, heck we used to have 6 (one was new but didn't last). The sixth came around when the fifth was going I think? Yes, I have used them all, at the moment I've been using one though out of the four.
Definitely an overabundance of food outlets in our home town. I get why, it's because any other business is doomed to fail or struggle a lot because Asda covers a lot of bases (can't speak for Sainsbury's as it was added after I left) and takeout is the one thing Asda isn't going to ever compete on because they don't serve hot food, and even if they did they can't offer everything that everywhere does, nor do delivery services (although I wouldn't put it past them to try and shaft it onto the home shopping drivers). I assume the restaurants there can't just be open for takeout, since you say they're struggling yet I'd imagine that a lot could continue fine with just doing takeout. Woodham Grill for example is literally only takeout so I can't see how Covid could really do them in except for the possible issue of having all the cooks so close to each other behind the counter, but considering that place is family run I don't see it mattering.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Currently? Not that great. I live in a town that doesn't have sidewalks (which I prefer) and a state that I've grown to dislike greatly. But I hope to be moving to a better (in my opinion) state in the next year or two.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Currently? Not that great. I live in a town that doesn't have sidewalks (which I prefer) and a state that I've grown to dislike greatly. But I hope to be moving to a better (in my opinion) state in the next year or two.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Live Music Mr EliteL 9 7,150 Jul 13th, 2022, 02:40 AM
Last Post: WR91
  Live Action Movies Moonface 2 3,049 Jul 29th, 2019, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Moonface