Let's Look Back at the 1st–5th Generation of Consoles
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Dec 16th, 2020, 01:30 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Nov 30th, 2020, 02:22 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I still go back and play a lot of my favorite SNES games as well, they'll always be enjoyable no matter how many times I play through them.
Which games did you enjoy the most on the SNES and Genesis? Also, were there any games you had/have on those systems (or the others) that you either disliked at the time, or went back to years later and found them to actually not be good games and/or have aged very poorly?

Same question can apply to anyone else who wants to throw their two cents in on it. Wink

I loved all of the SNES games I played in my childhood, and still do. None of them have aged poorly thankfully. The SNES is probably the one system that is least affected by aging the most. The graphic style of the SNES is timeless and SNES games don't suffer from horribly aged controls like N64 games do. 

As for which SNES games I enjoy the most, pretty much all of the big RPGs on the system: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI just to name a few. Of course other non-RPG classics too, like Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, etc.. 

There's just a whole lot of godly games on the SNES and all of them are just as enjoyable in 2021 as they were in the 1990's.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Dec 16th, 2020, 01:30 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Nov 30th, 2020, 02:22 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I still go back and play a lot of my favorite SNES games as well, they'll always be enjoyable no matter how many times I play through them.
Which games did you enjoy the most on the SNES and Genesis? Also, were there any games you had/have on those systems (or the others) that you either disliked at the time, or went back to years later and found them to actually not be good games and/or have aged very poorly?

Same question can apply to anyone else who wants to throw their two cents in on it. Wink

I loved all of the SNES games I played in my childhood, and still do. None of them have aged poorly thankfully. The SNES is probably the one system that is least affected by aging the most. The graphic style of the SNES is timeless and SNES games don't suffer from horribly aged controls like N64 games do. 

As for which SNES games I enjoy the most, pretty much all of the big RPGs on the system: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI just to name a few. Of course other non-RPG classics too, like Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, etc.. 

There's just a whole lot of godly games on the SNES and all of them are just as enjoyable in 2021 as they were in the 1990's.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Feb 1st, 2021, 10:03 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
The graphic style of the SNES is timeless and SNES games don't suffer from horribly aged controls like N64 games do. 
I expect most of the games from the generations this thread covers age well in regards to their graphics, since they had to go for an art style rather than striving for realism like an increasing number of games did going into the PS2-era and beyond. Although that doesn't mean a non-realism art style is guaranteed to not age poorly; I think Donkey Kong Country 2 looks really bad because there's too much detailing on the textures that doesn't scale well and looks incredibly busy:

[Image: 181463.jpg]
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Feb 1st, 2021, 10:03 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
The graphic style of the SNES is timeless and SNES games don't suffer from horribly aged controls like N64 games do. 
I expect most of the games from the generations this thread covers age well in regards to their graphics, since they had to go for an art style rather than striving for realism like an increasing number of games did going into the PS2-era and beyond. Although that doesn't mean a non-realism art style is guaranteed to not age poorly; I think Donkey Kong Country 2 looks really bad because there's too much detailing on the textures that doesn't scale well and looks incredibly busy:

[Image: 181463.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,612 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Next Generation of Consoles Expected to Come Out in 2028 Moonface 8 1,244 Jul 1st, 2023, 11:05 PM
  Does Anyone Here Bother with Apps on Consoles? Moonface 12 2,141 Dec 7th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Frank
  Let's Look Back at the 8th Generation of Consoles Moonface 5 2,065 Feb 5th, 2022, 01:06 AM
  What Defines a New Console Generation to You? Moonface 5 1,961 Sep 16th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL