What's your take on online-only games?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Just so we are all on the same page, I think it'd be best to limit ourselves to games dependent on a central server that you have to pay money for in order to play, not free ones found on FB and the like. That would make the scope pretty big and, really, I'm more interested on hearing about your experience as a paying costumer to a service that may -or has been- get discontinued overnight.

This has been a pretty big topic lately (at least among the people I tend to follow). And, while I was never into online gaming myself, I can totally see why concerns are being risen by those who are.

The number one complain I have heard being brought forward -and I must have heard it a million times by now- is that there's no refunds given to those who paid to play those games after their services are discontinued. I'm sure there's some fine print buried deep within the Terms of Service that shields the developers and publishers against any possible repercussion that may have, but it just feels scummy... and I'd be pretty pissed off if that happened to me.

Like, you'd think the lack of online capabilities should not prevent the game from running if a single-player campaign existed within it... but most of the time, it seems that playing the single-player mode also requires an internet connection, which not only defeats the purpose (and by a long mark!) but also means that your game is always at-risk of dying. I think that's a pretty good reason to hand refunds if nothing else, once the ongoing expenses of a server have made keeping the game up and running more of a chore for the company that developed it.

But I digress... and really, this ain't my field of expertice -so to speak-.

So, what's your take on the subject? Have you played any game that forced you to go online in order to enjoy it? Were you a big fan of one that's currently dead? And really, what would you do if you found yourself in the middle of situation that had you spending money on a game you cannot play any longer?
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Just so we are all on the same page, I think it'd be best to limit ourselves to games dependent on a central server that you have to pay money for in order to play, not free ones found on FB and the like. That would make the scope pretty big and, really, I'm more interested on hearing about your experience as a paying costumer to a service that may -or has been- get discontinued overnight.

This has been a pretty big topic lately (at least among the people I tend to follow). And, while I was never into online gaming myself, I can totally see why concerns are being risen by those who are.

The number one complain I have heard being brought forward -and I must have heard it a million times by now- is that there's no refunds given to those who paid to play those games after their services are discontinued. I'm sure there's some fine print buried deep within the Terms of Service that shields the developers and publishers against any possible repercussion that may have, but it just feels scummy... and I'd be pretty pissed off if that happened to me.

Like, you'd think the lack of online capabilities should not prevent the game from running if a single-player campaign existed within it... but most of the time, it seems that playing the single-player mode also requires an internet connection, which not only defeats the purpose (and by a long mark!) but also means that your game is always at-risk of dying. I think that's a pretty good reason to hand refunds if nothing else, once the ongoing expenses of a server have made keeping the game up and running more of a chore for the company that developed it.

But I digress... and really, this ain't my field of expertice -so to speak-.

So, what's your take on the subject? Have you played any game that forced you to go online in order to enjoy it? Were you a big fan of one that's currently dead? And really, what would you do if you found yourself in the middle of situation that had you spending money on a game you cannot play any longer?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm not one for online-centric games these days as I was back in the day, with things like MMOs and the like.

My thought is, watch the game's launch. Does it have longevity? Will people still be playing this game a month after launch? Is the company reliable and stable? If all of those answers are yes, I would chance to invest time and money into it. Otherwise, you're risking everything into something that will be temporary.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm not one for online-centric games these days as I was back in the day, with things like MMOs and the like.

My thought is, watch the game's launch. Does it have longevity? Will people still be playing this game a month after launch? Is the company reliable and stable? If all of those answers are yes, I would chance to invest time and money into it. Otherwise, you're risking everything into something that will be temporary.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 4th, 2018, 05:32 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

That sounds like a good take on the subject, my friend.

Thanks for sharing it Smile
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 4th, 2018, 05:32 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

That sounds like a good take on the subject, my friend.

Thanks for sharing it Smile
Chloe Offline
punk gyrl
Currently Playing
Legend of Zelda: OoT
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES/PC
XP: 308
Na, I don't have that much time to play online for much anyway. That & most games that are online are either MMO's which I don't have much interest in or are shootery games that have other players going after each other & you have to get gud son or you end up dead. I don't really enjoy those kind of games either. So no online for me, that & most games want you to pay twice for it. Once for when you purchase & again for the price of being able to pay to be on their servers. So no thanks.
[Image: chloe-13.png]
Chloe Offline
punk gyrl
Currently Playing
Legend of Zelda: OoT
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES/PC
XP: 308
Na, I don't have that much time to play online for much anyway. That & most games that are online are either MMO's which I don't have much interest in or are shootery games that have other players going after each other & you have to get gud son or you end up dead. I don't really enjoy those kind of games either. So no online for me, that & most games want you to pay twice for it. Once for when you purchase & again for the price of being able to pay to be on their servers. So no thanks.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The game's online I've played is Animal Crossing City Folk, & New Leaf. I do play mainline Pokemon games, but I don't battle or trade online since neither interest me. I played a bit of White Knight Chronicles 2 online, but their online service didn't last past a few months (it was kinda sad). Jing & I used to play LBP online together with other LBP players before Sony started to charge for online play.

Most MMO's, online fighting games, online racing, or online shooters I'm not interested in playing. Not even Splatoon, Mario Kart, or Brawl Ultimate interest me enough to get them to play them online with others.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The game's online I've played is Animal Crossing City Folk, & New Leaf. I do play mainline Pokemon games, but I don't battle or trade online since neither interest me. I played a bit of White Knight Chronicles 2 online, but their online service didn't last past a few months (it was kinda sad). Jing & I used to play LBP online together with other LBP players before Sony started to charge for online play.

Most MMO's, online fighting games, online racing, or online shooters I'm not interested in playing. Not even Splatoon, Mario Kart, or Brawl Ultimate interest me enough to get them to play them online with others.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Games that require you to be online when you're not playing with other players is annoying and unnecessary. Any game doing that should have a patch that removes that requirement if the servers are going to shut.

For online only games like Overwatch, it's only worth buying those games when you know they will have a good life span so you can get a lot out of it. I don't think refunds need to be given if the game lasts at least a year or two since you would've gotten enough out of the game for it to not be a waste.

Also shout out to Epic for the time they refunded every Paragon player when they closed that game down.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Games that require you to be online when you're not playing with other players is annoying and unnecessary. Any game doing that should have a patch that removes that requirement if the servers are going to shut.

For online only games like Overwatch, it's only worth buying those games when you know they will have a good life span so you can get a lot out of it. I don't think refunds need to be given if the game lasts at least a year or two since you would've gotten enough out of the game for it to not be a waste.

Also shout out to Epic for the time they refunded every Paragon player when they closed that game down.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Games that require you to be online when you're not playing with other players is annoying and unnecessary. Sn't game doing that should have a patch that removes that requirement if the servers are going to shut.

The problem is that most companies flat out refuse to think of -or put forth- a solution that would let you keep playing the game you paid for after the servers are down permanently. Wonder what's up with that.

Quote:I don't think refunds need to be given if the game lasts at least a year or two since you would've gotten enough out of the game for it to not be a waste.

Mmm, I can kinda see that.

Quote:Also shout out to Epic for the time they refunded every Paragon player when they closed that game down.

*Claps*. Now, that's classy.

Thanks everyone for your input!
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Games that require you to be online when you're not playing with other players is annoying and unnecessary. Sn't game doing that should have a patch that removes that requirement if the servers are going to shut.

The problem is that most companies flat out refuse to think of -or put forth- a solution that would let you keep playing the game you paid for after the servers are down permanently. Wonder what's up with that.

Quote:I don't think refunds need to be given if the game lasts at least a year or two since you would've gotten enough out of the game for it to not be a waste.

Mmm, I can kinda see that.

Quote:Also shout out to Epic for the time they refunded every Paragon player when they closed that game down.

*Claps*. Now, that's classy.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The only online game that I would be wiling to play would probably be Final Fantasy XIV (the one FF game Square Enix has made since the merger that isn't ass). Other than that, I wouldn't bother with any games that are strictly online.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The only online game that I would be wiling to play would probably be Final Fantasy XIV (the one FF game Square Enix has made since the merger that isn't ass). Other than that, I wouldn't bother with any games that are strictly online.
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268
Mega Man Bioshock 
I guess the only online game I can say I've purchased, is Overwatch. Which is really fun, and popular, I don't think it's going anywhere for a long time. There is also a way to play by yourself and bots, so it's not out of the question either. (Sometimes I like to do that just to do whatever I want.)

Other than that, I've only played F2P games like Dungeon Link, Brave Frontier, Chain Chronicle and Shards of Magic. Which are all decent for f2p.

I don't really like playing with random people, because of rudeness, and me probably being lot's worse than other people.. but I also like to just do my own thing too, I don't have to worry about how it affects others when I play single player games.

Some of my posts are satire, so don't take me too seriously! : P
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268 Mega Man Bioshock 
I guess the only online game I can say I've purchased, is Overwatch. Which is really fun, and popular, I don't think it's going anywhere for a long time. There is also a way to play by yourself and bots, so it's not out of the question either. (Sometimes I like to do that just to do whatever I want.)

Other than that, I've only played F2P games like Dungeon Link, Brave Frontier, Chain Chronicle and Shards of Magic. Which are all decent for f2p.

I don't really like playing with random people, because of rudeness, and me probably being lot's worse than other people.. but I also like to just do my own thing too, I don't have to worry about how it affects others when I play single player games.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Honestly I dislike online only games because there is normally a death date, especially these days where you can not host a server your self (WTF).

It use to be you could host the server or rent form any server host, and you'd just need to worry about the master server that gathers the list of game servers going down and that could be fixed. Now with you only able to rent though EA Games or another exclusive host as soon as they don't want to host the servers any more, you are shit out of luck. It only kills the sense of community even more.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Honestly I dislike online only games because there is normally a death date, especially these days where you can not host a server your self (WTF).

It use to be you could host the server or rent form any server host, and you'd just need to worry about the master server that gathers the list of game servers going down and that could be fixed. Now with you only able to rent though EA Games or another exclusive host as soon as they don't want to host the servers any more, you are shit out of luck. It only kills the sense of community even more.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
For PC it's 100% fine. For console, I'm not really a fan. A game should be able to survive long after it's online mode dies out. So yeah, I'm not really a fan.
WR91 Offline
Casual
For PC it's 100% fine. For console, I'm not really a fan. A game should be able to survive long after it's online mode dies out. So yeah, I'm not really a fan.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 28th, 2020, 12:34 PM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
For PC it's 100% fine. For console, I'm not really a fan.
I'm not sure why it's OK for one platform over another when the game isn't going to be treated any differently. Can you explain? Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm not sure why it's OK for one platform over another when the game isn't going to be treated any differently. Can you explain? Unsure
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Oct 7th, 2020, 11:42 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Because nowadays most people play their PC games through a streaming device like Steam or the Epic game store and you kind of have to be online as is with those at least to purchase the game right? Not many PC games I know come with a physical disk that you can pop in to your machine.

With consoles (at least the disk drive based ones. You still have the opportunity to play offline 100%)
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Oct 7th, 2020, 11:42 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Because nowadays most people play their PC games through a streaming device like Steam or the Epic game store and you kind of have to be online as is with those at least to purchase the game right? Not many PC games I know come with a physical disk that you can pop in to your machine.

With consoles (at least the disk drive based ones. You still have the opportunity to play offline 100%)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,127 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Unnecessary Online Features Moonface 3 85 Mar 24th, 2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 91 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 725 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM