Let's Look Back at the 6th Generation of Consoles
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I said I was going to make it, so I finally did! What are your fond memories with anything from the 6th Generation of Consoles? Do you have a favourite system? Memorable games/moments? How'd you get any of the consoles from this generation? What did you first play?

If you want to look back at the 1st-5th generations, head here: Let's Look Back at the 1st-5th Generation of Consoles

The only system I owned from this generation was a PS2, which I got shortly after release from my grandad. I barely knew Xbox or Dreamcast existed, and Gamecube was something I associated as barely having any games because the local store didn't carry much stock and a lot of the games that caught my eye were also on PS2.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I said I was going to make it, so I finally did! What are your fond memories with anything from the 6th Generation of Consoles? Do you have a favourite system? Memorable games/moments? How'd you get any of the consoles from this generation? What did you first play?

If you want to look back at the 1st-5th generations, head here: Let's Look Back at the 1st-5th Generation of Consoles

The only system I owned from this generation was a PS2, which I got shortly after release from my grandad. I barely knew Xbox or Dreamcast existed, and Gamecube was something I associated as barely having any games because the local store didn't carry much stock and a lot of the games that caught my eye were also on PS2.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I owned a PS2 and a Gamecube. I played an XBOX at a friend's neighbor's house, and he had Conker: Live and Reloaded and GTA: San Andreas (which I got to play more on PS2 at the friend's house). He might've had Halo as well, but I didn't play get to play it.

PS2 I believe was a hand-me-down from my brother? I actually have no definitive memory of my PS2 possession, I just suddenly had it one day. It's an original fat PS2 and it still functions to this day with no trouble! Definitely one of my favorite consoles of that gen.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Gamecube, but I do feel like I spent more time with my PS2 than my Gamecube. Though all of my Gamecube games were all S-Tier, I did have a few duds in my PS2 line up. I also rented more games for my Gamecube than PS2. I tended to rent Mario Kart: Double Dash (I never actually owned it until relatively recently) and Pokemon Colosseum. I didn't care as much for the latter so I didn't continuously re-rent it, but Double Dash, hell yeah. I surprisingly only played that single player.

Thinking on it, I feel like that was the first gen where I began to play most of my games solo/single player. I played Melee with friends occasionally, but not enough to warrant mentioning in comparison to the prior gens I owned.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I owned a PS2 and a Gamecube. I played an XBOX at a friend's neighbor's house, and he had Conker: Live and Reloaded and GTA: San Andreas (which I got to play more on PS2 at the friend's house). He might've had Halo as well, but I didn't play get to play it.

PS2 I believe was a hand-me-down from my brother? I actually have no definitive memory of my PS2 possession, I just suddenly had it one day. It's an original fat PS2 and it still functions to this day with no trouble! Definitely one of my favorite consoles of that gen.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Gamecube, but I do feel like I spent more time with my PS2 than my Gamecube. Though all of my Gamecube games were all S-Tier, I did have a few duds in my PS2 line up. I also rented more games for my Gamecube than PS2. I tended to rent Mario Kart: Double Dash (I never actually owned it until relatively recently) and Pokemon Colosseum. I didn't care as much for the latter so I didn't continuously re-rent it, but Double Dash, hell yeah. I surprisingly only played that single player.

Thinking on it, I feel like that was the first gen where I began to play most of my games solo/single player. I played Melee with friends occasionally, but not enough to warrant mentioning in comparison to the prior gens I owned.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
You know thinking about it I had access to my gamecube and to play my brothers PS2 I mostly played Mario Games at the time from the local rental video store that has since gone out of business. The only game I really played for the PS2 were the GTA games and Harvest Moon AWL Special edition.

I really enjoyed playing the Pikmin games, Sunshine, Luigi Mansion, and animal crossing for the gamecube days!
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
You know thinking about it I had access to my gamecube and to play my brothers PS2 I mostly played Mario Games at the time from the local rental video store that has since gone out of business. The only game I really played for the PS2 were the GTA games and Harvest Moon AWL Special edition.

I really enjoyed playing the Pikmin games, Sunshine, Luigi Mansion, and animal crossing for the gamecube days!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The first games I got for this generation were Midnight Club and Silent Scope. I have never completed either game because they were too hard for me. I only ever reached London in Midnight Club's campaign because the AI glitched out on the final race in New York and went off course, so it let me get an easy win. I did love that game though just to drive around the cities. Did anyone else who own this game love just knocking down every street lamp and ramming traffic with that taxi that had the huge snow scoop on the front? XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The first games I got for this generation were Midnight Club and Silent Scope. I have never completed either game because they were too hard for me. I only ever reached London in Midnight Club's campaign because the AI glitched out on the final race in New York and went off course, so it let me get an easy win. I did love that game though just to drive around the cities. Did anyone else who own this game love just knocking down every street lamp and ramming traffic with that taxi that had the huge snow scoop on the front? XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I definitely spent a lot of time just trying to find the best places to ramp off of in the cities XD

I also remember spending time trying to just be a legal driver: No running reds, staying in my lane, parking properly. Just to see if I could XD I did have a strange fascination with precise driving in those days.

I'm sad to say I'm no longer in possession of my Gamecube. I loaned it to a friend when he went away to college but I have yet to reignite conversation with this dude anymore Sad He even has the discs to some of games. I have a few empty cases I'm displaying as a result, including the highly priced Melee
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I definitely spent a lot of time just trying to find the best places to ramp off of in the cities XD

I also remember spending time trying to just be a legal driver: No running reds, staying in my lane, parking properly. Just to see if I could XD I did have a strange fascination with precise driving in those days.

I'm sad to say I'm no longer in possession of my Gamecube. I loaned it to a friend when he went away to college but I have yet to reignite conversation with this dude anymore Sad He even has the discs to some of games. I have a few empty cases I'm displaying as a result, including the highly priced Melee
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 20th, 2021, 04:53 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I think the only time I've been a legal driver was when I first got GTA V. XD

Did you ever get the ramp that lets you reach the military ship in New York? I always found it weird there were no secrets to get on it because it served no other purpose.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 20th, 2021, 04:53 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I think the only time I've been a legal driver was when I first got GTA V. XD

Did you ever get the ramp that lets you reach the military ship in New York? I always found it weird there were no secrets to get on it because it served no other purpose.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I had PS2, Xbox and GameCube as a kid.

PS2 was my go to console as it was for most people back then. A great console with many fond memories.

Xbox seemed like a grown up console to me that had the best graphics hands down. Great console looking back.

GameCube was my least played console this gen for sure. It also was the console I owned the least games for. I think I might have had 5-10 in total for it.

Looking back it was a great generation for gaming and probably the one that truly sparked my love for gaming. A trait I can still say I have to this day.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I had PS2, Xbox and GameCube as a kid.

PS2 was my go to console as it was for most people back then. A great console with many fond memories.

Xbox seemed like a grown up console to me that had the best graphics hands down. Great console looking back.

GameCube was my least played console this gen for sure. It also was the console I owned the least games for. I think I might have had 5-10 in total for it.

Looking back it was a great generation for gaming and probably the one that truly sparked my love for gaming. A trait I can still say I have to this day.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Started with a PS2 which was shared between my two siblings and myself, think it was mainly bought for Tekken Tag Tournament which was a game we all wanted to play, even my dad joined in. Was probably the era we started to drift into our own gaming bubbles as we shared Atari and PS1, although we did have our own games that we'd take turns on the console. I would branch into Nintendo with Game Boy Advance then GameCube, the latter I really wanted after playing Super Smash Bros Melee with a friend. My sister later got her own PS2 to use as well since I had them and my bro used the other PS2 the most.

Definitely played most on GameCube over GBA and PS2, as I was hooked on playing Melee, Paper Mario TTYD and Mario Kart: Double Dash. MKDD was a game I fondly remember playing with my brother, and is the Mario Kart game I'm best at playing I think.

Games I had 13 (plus two GBC games) for GBA, 20 for GameCube and 6 for PS2. Yep only 6 but those were the games for me, if I include shared games it would go up to 14 (Tekken Tag, 4 & 5, Twisted Metal Black, four WWE games). My 6 were Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, Smuggler's Run & 2, Worms 3D, Forts (uuggh...) & 4 Mayhem. Worms 3D and maybe the other two I played a bit with siblings. My brother and sister had their own games too which I won't include as I didn't play them.

All three systems were presents, don't remember the occasion of PS2 but either on release, brother's birthday in June or Christmas of 2000. I think GBA was a birthday gift (or closer to release) as I remember taking it with me to our last year in primary school during the big play students put on for parents, I played GBA when waiting out the back in a classroom for my part in the play and for the end walk across the stage, also some others brought their GBA, maybe GBC in too. GameCube I believe was a Christmas present of 2002...or 2003.

@ShiraNoMai Really really sucks you've lost your GC. When and if you guys come over here (F you covid and restrictions) I'd be more than happy to bring my GC to Moony's old home to play the classics. Well, Double Dash and Melee at least. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Started with a PS2 which was shared between my two siblings and myself, think it was mainly bought for Tekken Tag Tournament which was a game we all wanted to play, even my dad joined in. Was probably the era we started to drift into our own gaming bubbles as we shared Atari and PS1, although we did have our own games that we'd take turns on the console. I would branch into Nintendo with Game Boy Advance then GameCube, the latter I really wanted after playing Super Smash Bros Melee with a friend. My sister later got her own PS2 to use as well since I had them and my bro used the other PS2 the most.

Definitely played most on GameCube over GBA and PS2, as I was hooked on playing Melee, Paper Mario TTYD and Mario Kart: Double Dash. MKDD was a game I fondly remember playing with my brother, and is the Mario Kart game I'm best at playing I think.

Games I had 13 (plus two GBC games) for GBA, 20 for GameCube and 6 for PS2. Yep only 6 but those were the games for me, if I include shared games it would go up to 14 (Tekken Tag, 4 & 5, Twisted Metal Black, four WWE games). My 6 were Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, Smuggler's Run & 2, Worms 3D, Forts (uuggh...) & 4 Mayhem. Worms 3D and maybe the other two I played a bit with siblings. My brother and sister had their own games too which I won't include as I didn't play them.

All three systems were presents, don't remember the occasion of PS2 but either on release, brother's birthday in June or Christmas of 2000. I think GBA was a birthday gift (or closer to release) as I remember taking it with me to our last year in primary school during the big play students put on for parents, I played GBA when waiting out the back in a classroom for my part in the play and for the end walk across the stage, also some others brought their GBA, maybe GBC in too. GameCube I believe was a Christmas present of 2002...or 2003.

@ShiraNoMai Really really sucks you've lost your GC. When and if you guys come over here (F you covid and restrictions) I'd be more than happy to bring my GC to Moony's old home to play the classics. Well, Double Dash and Melee at least. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: Are there any PS2 games you never played but wish you had the chance to, since you didn't have very many of them?

Also, I feel like PS2 was the last generation where AAA companies would get the rights to a TV or movie license and make something good out of it. You would never see games like Scooby-Doo: Night of 100 Frights or Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo tackled by a AAA company these days, and definitely not with the level of care and attention games like those got. Nowadays such things would be given a minimal effort with the hopes of cashing in on the name. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: Are there any PS2 games you never played but wish you had the chance to, since you didn't have very many of them?

Also, I feel like PS2 was the last generation where AAA companies would get the rights to a TV or movie license and make something good out of it. You would never see games like Scooby-Doo: Night of 100 Frights or Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo tackled by a AAA company these days, and definitely not with the level of care and attention games like those got. Nowadays such things would be given a minimal effort with the hopes of cashing in on the name. Errm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Mar 20th, 2021, 08:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Probably RPGs, kinda wish I got into them way before as my first ever ones were Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Paper Mario TTYD, and know there's way more before or around the same time as when I played them. So just ones that are considered good ones I wouldn't mind playing maybe. Also similarly wish I got into the Devil May Cry series before DMC4, which I never completed on PS3 and the only game I've played. Yeesh. Although my sister does own them, yet she never finished 1 herself I think so didn't play any more? XD I considered getting the collection although I'd want to avoid DMC2. Outside of that nothing else really. I stayed in my own bubble in the PS2 era with just Tekken and Worms whilst mainly playing GBA and GC, so I didn't actively look for PS2 games nor feel any excitement for them, meaning I have next to no interest for any others now unfortunately.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Mar 20th, 2021, 08:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Probably RPGs, kinda wish I got into them way before as my first ever ones were Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Paper Mario TTYD, and know there's way more before or around the same time as when I played them. So just ones that are considered good ones I wouldn't mind playing maybe. Also similarly wish I got into the Devil May Cry series before DMC4, which I never completed on PS3 and the only game I've played. Yeesh. Although my sister does own them, yet she never finished 1 herself I think so didn't play any more? XD I considered getting the collection although I'd want to avoid DMC2. Outside of that nothing else really. I stayed in my own bubble in the PS2 era with just Tekken and Worms whilst mainly playing GBA and GC, so I didn't actively look for PS2 games nor feel any excitement for them, meaning I have next to no interest for any others now unfortunately.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I only had a Dreamcast and PS2. I got a PS2 in 2002, much later than I wanted but still early in its life. Got the Dreamcast in 2003 when it was cheap! $20 for the system and $3-6 for games. Dreamcast, I feel like had the best two years of any system ever but the PS2 beat it out by sheer amount of years it had which allowed it to amass way more games.

Very good memories of these systems. I don't think any system will have they hype of the PS2 though. PS2 launch was NUTS, it was all over the news and had lines for blocks.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I only had a Dreamcast and PS2. I got a PS2 in 2002, much later than I wanted but still early in its life. Got the Dreamcast in 2003 when it was cheap! $20 for the system and $3-6 for games. Dreamcast, I feel like had the best two years of any system ever but the PS2 beat it out by sheer amount of years it had which allowed it to amass way more games.

Very good memories of these systems. I don't think any system will have they hype of the PS2 though. PS2 launch was NUTS, it was all over the news and had lines for blocks.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I don't know why but just now noticing that Dreamcast was considered 6th gen. In my head, that was like, Sega's last ditch effort to compete with the N64 and PlayStation, but by the time it came out, it was just in time for failure when the PS2 came out the very next holiday.

What games did you have for the Dreamcast, @Metallix ?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I don't know why but just now noticing that Dreamcast was considered 6th gen. In my head, that was like, Sega's last ditch effort to compete with the N64 and PlayStation, but by the time it came out, it was just in time for failure when the PS2 came out the very next holiday.

Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Apr 29th, 2021, 04:31 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Saturn was their effort to compete with the PS1 and N64. It died early(but did better than 64 in Japan) so they quickly moved on to a new system.

For Dreamcast I had Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Resident Evil 3, and another game I can't remember right now. I think I had Crazy Taxi at one point too. Most of them were burned games though. lol
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Apr 29th, 2021, 04:31 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Saturn was their effort to compete with the PS1 and N64. It died early(but did better than 64 in Japan) so they quickly moved on to a new system.

For Dreamcast I had Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Resident Evil 3, and another game I can't remember right now. I think I had Crazy Taxi at one point too. Most of them were burned games though. lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,611 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Next Generation of Consoles Expected to Come Out in 2028 Moonface 8 1,242 Jul 1st, 2023, 11:05 PM
  Does Anyone Here Bother with Apps on Consoles? Moonface 12 2,141 Dec 7th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Frank
  Let's Look Back at the 8th Generation of Consoles Moonface 5 2,061 Feb 5th, 2022, 01:06 AM
  What Defines a New Console Generation to You? Moonface 5 1,961 Sep 16th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL