Books, Comics & Other Novels
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 2,255
I recently downloaded the eBook app, Scribd and I'm using it to read The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King at the moment. It's the only LOTR book I never finished, so I'm trying to finish it for once. I own the actual The Lord of the Rings all-in-one book itself, but I think I prefer to read via my iPhone so I can keep up with it easier and take it everywhere I go. I've been checking out some JavaScript books trying to find a good one to help me delve into the language even more as well.
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
I recently downloaded the eBook app, Scribd and I'm using it to read The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King at the moment. It's the only LOTR book I never finished, so I'm trying to finish it for once. I own the actual The Lord of the Rings all-in-one book itself, but I think I prefer to read via my iPhone so I can keep up with it easier and take it everywhere I go. I've been checking out some JavaScript books trying to find a good one to help me delve into the language even more as well.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I remember trying to read The Lord of the Rings back when I was still in secondary school, but it was just too long and slow paced (compared to books aimed at 10 year old's) to keep my interest and the language used in it felt complex for me to properly understand it. The Mummy was another book I recall having the same issue when it came to language and writing that was too complex for me to understand properly.

Right now I'm reading through a book called "Feeling Great" by David D. Burns, MD as part of my therapy and it's really good. I was listening to his podcasts but I can't really keep my attention to pure audio and trying to do something else at the same time resulted in me being unable to focus on what was being said properly. I've only read the first two chapters but I'd recommend it already to anyone wanting to improve their mental health. Smile
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I remember trying to read The Lord of the Rings back when I was still in secondary school, but it was just too long and slow paced (compared to books aimed at 10 year old's) to keep my interest and the language used in it felt complex for me to properly understand it. The Mummy was another book I recall having the same issue when it came to language and writing that was too complex for me to understand properly.

Right now I'm reading through a book called "Feeling Great" by David D. Burns, MD as part of my therapy and it's really good. I was listening to his podcasts but I can't really keep my attention to pure audio and trying to do something else at the same time resulted in me being unable to focus on what was being said properly. I've only read the first two chapters but I'd recommend it already to anyone wanting to improve their mental health. Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm shocked a bit you didn't start with The Hobbit, Moony, considering it's the first book. I imagine it had to do with the fact the movies were hot and popular and the existence of the prequel was probably not on your radar. It's a shame cus it's an exceptional book and it's aimed at a younger audience.

Might have to give that book a look at at some point. I really wanna get back into reading next year. I've been sticking to fanfiction all year and while that's great and comforting, there's new worlds and characters I'd like to explore. Might start by finishing my light novels I've had sitting on a shelf for a while...
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm shocked a bit you didn't start with The Hobbit, Moony, considering it's the first book. I imagine it had to do with the fact the movies were hot and popular and the existence of the prequel was probably not on your radar. It's a shame cus it's an exceptional book and it's aimed at a younger audience.

Might have to give that book a look at at some point. I really wanna get back into reading next year. I've been sticking to fanfiction all year and while that's great and comforting, there's new worlds and characters I'd like to explore. Might start by finishing my light novels I've had sitting on a shelf for a while...
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
I didn't even finish The Hobbit either myself, but I got very close to finishing it. 

LOTR is pretty complex to read, but once you've seen the films as much as I have, you kind of know what's going on the entire time.
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
I didn't even finish The Hobbit either myself, but I got very close to finishing it. 

LOTR is pretty complex to read, but once you've seen the films as much as I have, you kind of know what's going on the entire time.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'd never heard of The Hobbit until the movie was announced. I also hadn't heard of LotR until the movies too, and since I liked the first movie I figured I'd pick up the books so I could read the next parts before the movies came out, but I started with the first (and failed) because I wanted to start the books from the beginning. Tongue
I'd probably grasp the books better now since I understand words better and writing technique better. Plus if I do see anything that doesn't make sense it's very easy to just look it up; that wasn't really a choice back in the early 2000's when the internet was young and nobody relied on it in that manner. LOL

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'd never heard of The Hobbit until the movie was announced. I also hadn't heard of LotR until the movies too, and since I liked the first movie I figured I'd pick up the books so I could read the next parts before the movies came out, but I started with the first (and failed) because I wanted to start the books from the beginning. Tongue
I'd probably grasp the books better now since I understand words better and writing technique better. Plus if I do see anything that doesn't make sense it's very easy to just look it up; that wasn't really a choice back in the early 2000's when the internet was young and nobody relied on it in that manner. LOL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Bumping this to inform y'all I've picked up reading an ACTUAL novel! It's a relatively new one called "The Love Hypothesis" by Ali Hazelwood. Only two chapters read so far, but it's quite entertaining and well-paced.

If anyone's wondering why this of all books, I actually follow this person on Twitter. She (used to) write fanfiction for ships like SasuSaku and Reylo, the latter of which mayyyyyyy have possibly led to this particular publishing.

[Image: 220px-The_Love_Hypothesis.jpg]

Could've fooled me. ROFL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Bumping this to inform y'all I've picked up reading an ACTUAL novel! It's a relatively new one called "The Love Hypothesis" by Ali Hazelwood. Only two chapters read so far, but it's quite entertaining and well-paced.

If anyone's wondering why this of all books, I actually follow this person on Twitter. She (used to) write fanfiction for ships like SasuSaku and Reylo, the latter of which mayyyyyyy have possibly led to this particular publishing.

[Image: 220px-The_Love_Hypothesis.jpg]

Could've fooled me. ROFL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Nice, reading, and it's from someone you've followed before, even more nice. I also wondered why on that cover the two people portrayed there looked familiar.... XD

I need to get back into reading but ah, dunno when.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Nice, reading, and it's from someone you've followed before, even more nice. I also wondered why on that cover the two people portrayed there looked familiar.... XD

I need to get back into reading but ah, dunno when.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Heh, it's always neat when fanfic writers get to move up in the world (except E.L. James. We don't talk about E.L James...). Reminds me of an article how in one of the new Sonic games getting made, a Sonic fanfic writer us leading the project.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Heh, it's always neat when fanfic writers get to move up in the world (except E.L. James. We don't talk about E.L James...). Reminds me of an article how in one of the new Sonic games getting made, a Sonic fanfic writer us leading the project.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 27th, 2022, 10:53 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Is that Sonic Mania or that new Frontier game that's in development right now?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 27th, 2022, 10:53 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Is that Sonic Mania or that new Frontier game that's in development right now?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I was gonna say, you talking about Ian Flynn? He's a really good Sonic writer, honestly. I've been interested in checking out some of his Archie comics cuz of it.

I have finished the book! It is very enjoyable and would read again in the future perhaps. It's nothing particularly ground-breaking or masterfully written, just a comfortable and satiating read. Like getting a nice bowl of mac and cheese: not exactly nutrient-dense but definitely hits the spot, ya know?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I was gonna say, you talking about Ian Flynn? He's a really good Sonic writer, honestly. I've been interested in checking out some of his Archie comics cuz of it.

I have finished the book! It is very enjoyable and would read again in the future perhaps. It's nothing particularly ground-breaking or masterfully written, just a comfortable and satiating read. Like getting a nice bowl of mac and cheese: not exactly nutrient-dense but definitely hits the spot, ya know?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 1st, 2022, 03:24 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised considering it started off as a Star Wars fanfiction. This is probably a harsh and rather uninformed opinion but I feel like the majority of fanfictions aren't written in any way that stands alongside other works of literature.

Shira recently also got me a book called "Let That Shit Go", which is less of a book for reading and more a series of prompts and stuff to write things down to let go of worries and stuff. It's a little hard to explain because I honestly haven't taken much of a look at it yet even though I really should. Whistle
If it's similar to her "Zen as Fuck" book then I guess she can explain it better. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 1st, 2022, 03:24 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised considering it started off as a Star Wars fanfiction. This is probably a harsh and rather uninformed opinion but I feel like the majority of fanfictions aren't written in any way that stands alongside other works of literature.

Shira recently also got me a book called "Let That Shit Go", which is less of a book for reading and more a series of prompts and stuff to write things down to let go of worries and stuff. It's a little hard to explain because I honestly haven't taken much of a look at it yet even though I really should. Whistle
If it's similar to her "Zen as Fuck" book then I guess she can explain it better. XD