What's Worse: Ice or Water Levels/Physics?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Any time water or ice turns up in a level or game, it almost always results in impacting player control in some fashion to varying degrees of inconvenience and annoyance. But what do you think is worse? Do you think overall one is worse than the other, or maybe it's dependent on the genre of game? For games that feature both, is one always worse than the other or does it vary?

As a gut response I want to say water is generally worse, at least for platformers. Ice usually doesn't remove any player movement but just makes it harder to keep control until you get used to it, whereas water levels always make you move slower or just make movement feel worse entirely, especially when it adds vertical direction that isn't present when the character is on land.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Any time water or ice turns up in a level or game, it almost always results in impacting player control in some fashion to varying degrees of inconvenience and annoyance. But what do you think is worse? Do you think overall one is worse than the other, or maybe it's dependent on the genre of game? For games that feature both, is one always worse than the other or does it vary?

As a gut response I want to say water is generally worse, at least for platformers. Ice usually doesn't remove any player movement but just makes it harder to keep control until you get used to it, whereas water levels always make you move slower or just make movement feel worse entirely, especially when it adds vertical direction that isn't present when the character is on land.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Depends on how the individual game does it. Some games make it so when you're on ice, you slip and slide every where without much control, where as others make it so that you just have a little bit of sliding when you move. When it's overdone, it's pretty terrible. I myself like when games incorporate sliding puzzles on ice (Pokmemon Gold/Silver for example).

The same thing applies to water levels. Just depends on how that particular game handles it. Overall, I'd say that developers fail to make water mechanics work well compared to ice.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Depends on how the individual game does it. Some games make it so when you're on ice, you slip and slide every where without much control, where as others make it so that you just have a little bit of sliding when you move. When it's overdone, it's pretty terrible. I myself like when games incorporate sliding puzzles on ice (Pokmemon Gold/Silver for example).

The same thing applies to water levels. Just depends on how that particular game handles it. Overall, I'd say that developers fail to make water mechanics work well compared to ice.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, I agree with DL. I think devs aren't sure how to work with how the way these real life mechanisms can operate in a fun and engaging way most times. The focus tends to be on making them as realistic as possible and turn it into an obstacle rather than something that can be used to the advantage of it (as is the case with Pokemon Gold/Silver puzzles)
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, I agree with DL. I think devs aren't sure how to work with how the way these real life mechanisms can operate in a fun and engaging way most times. The focus tends to be on making them as realistic as possible and turn it into an obstacle rather than something that can be used to the advantage of it (as is the case with Pokemon Gold/Silver puzzles)
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Usually water levels are worse than ice. Especially if the water level involves going underwater or the water is used to hamper your movement. Although both can be a good challenge if it doesn't change the style of gameplay too drastically.

Might be remembering wrong but I think Crash games or at least the main games (+ the two GBA games I've played) have both fine water and ice levels. Trying to think of other games that have a distinct level of each for comparison between them but can't think of much.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Usually water levels are worse than ice. Especially if the water level involves going underwater or the water is used to hamper your movement. Although both can be a good challenge if it doesn't change the style of gameplay too drastically.

Might be remembering wrong but I think Crash games or at least the main games (+ the two GBA games I've played) have both fine water and ice levels. Trying to think of other games that have a distinct level of each for comparison between them but can't think of much.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 24th, 2021, 11:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Ice in Crash wouldn't be bad if not for the inertia you get from it which makes jumping onto a box on ice very difficult, while water slows you down and feels weighty.

Spyro on the other hand does both much better, especially the swimming. It feels very similar to flying in flight levels, but with the ability to charge. Ice is interesting because they don't let you jump on it, so you can't just negate the effects of it like a lot of platformers let you.

Anyone else got specific games they want to point out? Smile

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 24th, 2021, 11:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Ice in Crash wouldn't be bad if not for the inertia you get from it which makes jumping onto a box on ice very difficult, while water slows you down and feels weighty.

Spyro on the other hand does both much better, especially the swimming. It feels very similar to flying in flight levels, but with the ability to charge. Ice is interesting because they don't let you jump on it, so you can't just negate the effects of it like a lot of platformers let you.

Anyone else got specific games they want to point out? Smile
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Always have hated water levels. Getting flashbacks to Chemical Plant Zone and dying several times under the water. Makes physics more floaty and slow.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Always have hated water levels. Getting flashbacks to Chemical Plant Zone and dying several times under the water. Makes physics more floaty and slow.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Sonic water levels are some of the worst. It's not helped by the anxiety-inducing drowning music that happens when you start to run out of air. Not fun when you're trapped in a corner unable to platform out in time.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Sonic water levels are some of the worst. It's not helped by the anxiety-inducing drowning music that happens when you start to run out of air. Not fun when you're trapped in a corner unable to platform out in time.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Sonic is a very good example for me of why water physics are generally worse in games. Sonic is this fast speed game and water slows that way down. Although it makes sense for it to do that, it feels pretty jarring to go from high speed to something slower and in some cases, more precise because the platforms get made smaller. Not sure what a solution would be for water in Sonic, except to maybe make Sonic's jump shorter because his speed only works to carve through the water when running.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Sonic is a very good example for me of why water physics are generally worse in games. Sonic is this fast speed game and water slows that way down. Although it makes sense for it to do that, it feels pretty jarring to go from high speed to something slower and in some cases, more precise because the platforms get made smaller. Not sure what a solution would be for water in Sonic, except to maybe make Sonic's jump shorter because his speed only works to carve through the water when running.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Games Do Difficulty Levels Well? Moonface 2 335 Sep 20th, 2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Sky Themed Levels/Games Moonface 2 567 Jul 1st, 2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Best Seasonal Levels/Environments? Moonface 3 3,307 Nov 2nd, 2019, 06:09 PM
Last Post: queenzelda