Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Finally, thank you so much even if I didn't exactly want a remake of PMTTYD but at least it's something. I'm degrading my initial reaction though so I'm genuinely happy, I just hope this Remaster does well enough so then they see this is the style for Paper Mario they should stick with. I don't mind them going a different route for the past 4 games, although three weren't for me. Or they don't/never but I'll just sit on the side with my Remaster.  =3
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Finally, thank you so much even if I didn't exactly want a remake of PMTTYD but at least it's something. I'm degrading my initial reaction though so I'm genuinely happy, I just hope this Remaster does well enough so then they see this is the style for Paper Mario they should stick with. I don't mind them going a different route for the past 4 games, although three weren't for me. Or they don't/never but I'll just sit on the side with my Remaster.  =3
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah I'd love this game to sell so well it shows Miyamoto that people prefer this approach to Paper Mario over the later entries, and maybe it'll even dispel that stupid idea he has that there can't be new characters made for each installment of Paper Mario, even though they'll happily do that for regular Mario games. Errm

I wonder if the game will be a straight 1:1 or if it'll add stuff like how SMRPG Remake is doing. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah I'd love this game to sell so well it shows Miyamoto that people prefer this approach to Paper Mario over the later entries, and maybe it'll even dispel that stupid idea he has that there can't be new characters made for each installment of Paper Mario, even though they'll happily do that for regular Mario games. Errm

I wonder if the game will be a straight 1:1 or if it'll add stuff like how SMRPG Remake is doing. Hmm
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,918
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My husband and I think the Paper Mario series was divided by the Mario and Luigi RPG game's where the characters in that did have names. But with the Mario and Luigi rpg series gone, it's open for fresh new possibilities. I love all the Mario RPG games. We're eating hearty on the Nintendo train bois and girlz.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,918 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My husband and I think the Paper Mario series was divided by the Mario and Luigi RPG game's where the characters in that did have names. But with the Mario and Luigi rpg series gone, it's open for fresh new possibilities. I love all the Mario RPG games. We're eating hearty on the Nintendo train bois and girlz.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I started on M&L Superstar Saga, being my first RPG and is still my second favourite Mario game but yeah perhaps there's some truth to M&L and PM being divided in some sense during that period. The first PM being set in Mushroom Kingdom, first M&L was set in a neighbouring kingdom which had new species and characters to focus on with some familiarity to enemies we've seen before (Bean enemy being like a Goomba, Koopa versions in Beanbean) then PM went to Rogueport and M&L stayed roughly in MK but in the past, then Super Paper Mario had a mix, Bowser's Inside story was sort of a mix...well Bowser's insides was certainly different. XD Then perhaps got to a point of needing too much new stuff for both series they settled on more basic stuff later on.

I also wonder if there'll be new stuff but hopefully nothing like being able to damage multiple enemies from the get-go or that was an ability to gain but it wasn't clear. So hopefully not to the gameplay but I'm thinking it'll be more 1:1 for like 95% perhaps because I would like to see there being new post-game stuff as even if you beat Pit of 100 Trials before the final boss then all that's left is doing the handful of extra Requests and visiting the other areas to see NPCs. Eh if not and it is 100% a 1:1 then that's still OK with me.
Yo, I'm going to try a Pre-Hooktail Pit Run in my first playthrough! *shot* Darn wish I did more runs since the one I recorded.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I started on M&L Superstar Saga, being my first RPG and is still my second favourite Mario game but yeah perhaps there's some truth to M&L and PM being divided in some sense during that period. The first PM being set in Mushroom Kingdom, first M&L was set in a neighbouring kingdom which had new species and characters to focus on with some familiarity to enemies we've seen before (Bean enemy being like a Goomba, Koopa versions in Beanbean) then PM went to Rogueport and M&L stayed roughly in MK but in the past, then Super Paper Mario had a mix, Bowser's Inside story was sort of a mix...well Bowser's insides was certainly different. XD Then perhaps got to a point of needing too much new stuff for both series they settled on more basic stuff later on.

I also wonder if there'll be new stuff but hopefully nothing like being able to damage multiple enemies from the get-go or that was an ability to gain but it wasn't clear. So hopefully not to the gameplay but I'm thinking it'll be more 1:1 for like 95% perhaps because I would like to see there being new post-game stuff as even if you beat Pit of 100 Trials before the final boss then all that's left is doing the handful of extra Requests and visiting the other areas to see NPCs. Eh if not and it is 100% a 1:1 then that's still OK with me.
Yo, I'm going to try a Pre-Hooktail Pit Run in my first playthrough! *shot* Darn wish I did more runs since the one I recorded.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 17th, 2023, 08:33 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
My husband and I think the Paper Mario series was divided by the Mario and Luigi RPG game's where the characters in that did have names.
This is a possibility since Miyamoto left Paper Mario after TTYD but was still working on Mario & Luigi until 2005. I don't know how that series handled characters post Partners in Time though, which is after Miyamoto left. If the character originality declined I would suspect Miyamoto put the same restriction on that series as he did Paper Mario, where if he isn't involved then he doesn't permit new characters to be created.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 17th, 2023, 08:33 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
My husband and I think the Paper Mario series was divided by the Mario and Luigi RPG game's where the characters in that did have names.
This is a possibility since Miyamoto left Paper Mario after TTYD but was still working on Mario & Luigi until 2005. I don't know how that series handled characters post Partners in Time though, which is after Miyamoto left. If the character originality declined I would suspect Miyamoto put the same restriction on that series as he did Paper Mario, where if he isn't involved then he doesn't permit new characters to be created.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,918
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I watched someone on youtube explained why the game is coming out, so I thought it would make for an interesting conversation starter:
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,918 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I watched someone on youtube explained why the game is coming out, so I thought it would make for an interesting conversation starter:
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door | Remaster Release Date
As part of Mar10 Day yesterday, Nintendo revealed that the remaster of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door will be released on May 23rd.

Nintendo didn't put out a video specifically for this news, but it seems various things came out around the Internet which were combined into this video:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door | Remaster Release Date
As part of Mar10 Day yesterday, Nintendo revealed that the remaster of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door will be released on May 23rd.

Nintendo didn't put out a video specifically for this news, but it seems various things came out around the Internet which were combined into this video:

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Skipped the gameplay bit but watched the screenshots and artwork from that video. The only slight problem I have is being able to see the white edges the paper which you can also see against another part of the body, but I'll get used to it. Good to know the date finally though. I wonder if there'll be anything extra like what the M&L remakes got but I suppose it would've been leaked by now, or will be if there is anything else unrevealed yet.  Hmph
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Skipped the gameplay bit but watched the screenshots and artwork from that video. The only slight problem I have is being able to see the white edges the paper which you can also see against another part of the body, but I'll get used to it. Good to know the date finally though. I wonder if there'll be anything extra like what the M&L remakes got but I suppose it would've been leaked by now, or will be if there is anything else unrevealed yet.  Hmph
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 26th, 2023, 11:32 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I forgot to watch this so did just now, and these are my thoughts on what the video brings up:
  • I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to remake or remaster a game unless demand is there for it. Any other company would take the same approach, even when it comes to just making sequels. That said, I feel like TTYD is frequently being talked about and is the game people talk about when it comes to Paper Mario to the point that I would have expected that continued interest and fondness for that game alone to be enough to make Nintendo consider bringing the game back in some way.

• Miyamoto's views of Paper Mario still come off as being out of touch. Saying it doesn't really need a story is nonsensical when he was the producer for the first two entries of which both were heavy on story; if he felt story wasn't needed then why make a spin-off series that started out with a heavier focus on story than any other line of Mario games?

• Furthermore, the mainline Mario games already have little focus on a story. Removing story from another line of Mario games now just takes away something that helps distinguish those games from the main ones, and given that the Paper Mario games also don't get to have original characters anymore either just strips away more of their identity. Spin-offs and side entries should be used to try out things with an IP that don't fit in the mainline games; if you start trying to make them too much like the mainline games then you're taking away the reason for them to even exist in the first place.

• The quote at 2:20 is a fine viewpoint to have, except I don't feel like TTYD is a game that isn't open to casual players. TTYD was the first Paper Mario game I ever played, and also the first Mario game period that I had sat down and played, and I finished it within a two week vacation when I visited @ShiraNoMai back in like 2012 or something. Now I'm not a casual player but if I can pick up the second entry in a series I've never played, of an IP I had never really played, in a genre I also had never played, and beat that game in a two week period then I'm sure actual casual players would be fine with it. Nintendo here is just grossly underestimating the capabilities of their players which is a trend they've been doing far too much with a lot of their games.

• I would hope Nintendo no longer have qualms about turn based games in the West, which to me should have been snuffed out with the success of Final Fantasy VII and everything else that I'm sure followed in the wake of that game being the huge success that it was (given the industry likes to follow trends that blow up). I won't be surprised if there are some in Nintendo who are still stuck in this old way of thinking though.

• It's weird to me that Nintendo are worried about the cost of a Mario RPG, yet are happy to toss out dead-on-arrival projects like Labo, Mario Kart Live, etc. that while obviously don't cost as much as a Mario RPG game would, are still things that they took a chance with but they'll be hesitant to give another chance to a series that I'm sure has brought in more money than the examples I gave in this point.

(Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Eh, I feel like Nintendo rarely gets their stuff leaked unless it's Pokémon related, and that probably occurs because Nintendo aren't the ones in total control of that IP. If nothing else, I do wonder if there will be any QoL changes like what we saw with the Super Mario RPG remake.

For those interested, Nintendo put out a new advertisement on their social channels that features Mario and Goombella in a few early game scenes, and I didn't post this one at the time since it is just the opening cutscene of the game but I'll post it now while I'm doing this video:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 26th, 2023, 11:32 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I forgot to watch this so did just now, and these are my thoughts on what the video brings up:
  • I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to remake or remaster a game unless demand is there for it. Any other company would take the same approach, even when it comes to just making sequels. That said, I feel like TTYD is frequently being talked about and is the game people talk about when it comes to Paper Mario to the point that I would have expected that continued interest and fondness for that game alone to be enough to make Nintendo consider bringing the game back in some way.

• Miyamoto's views of Paper Mario still come off as being out of touch. Saying it doesn't really need a story is nonsensical when he was the producer for the first two entries of which both were heavy on story; if he felt story wasn't needed then why make a spin-off series that started out with a heavier focus on story than any other line of Mario games?

• Furthermore, the mainline Mario games already have little focus on a story. Removing story from another line of Mario games now just takes away something that helps distinguish those games from the main ones, and given that the Paper Mario games also don't get to have original characters anymore either just strips away more of their identity. Spin-offs and side entries should be used to try out things with an IP that don't fit in the mainline games; if you start trying to make them too much like the mainline games then you're taking away the reason for them to even exist in the first place.

• The quote at 2:20 is a fine viewpoint to have, except I don't feel like TTYD is a game that isn't open to casual players. TTYD was the first Paper Mario game I ever played, and also the first Mario game period that I had sat down and played, and I finished it within a two week vacation when I visited @ShiraNoMai back in like 2012 or something. Now I'm not a casual player but if I can pick up the second entry in a series I've never played, of an IP I had never really played, in a genre I also had never played, and beat that game in a two week period then I'm sure actual casual players would be fine with it. Nintendo here is just grossly underestimating the capabilities of their players which is a trend they've been doing far too much with a lot of their games.

• I would hope Nintendo no longer have qualms about turn based games in the West, which to me should have been snuffed out with the success of Final Fantasy VII and everything else that I'm sure followed in the wake of that game being the huge success that it was (given the industry likes to follow trends that blow up). I won't be surprised if there are some in Nintendo who are still stuck in this old way of thinking though.

• It's weird to me that Nintendo are worried about the cost of a Mario RPG, yet are happy to toss out dead-on-arrival projects like Labo, Mario Kart Live, etc. that while obviously don't cost as much as a Mario RPG game would, are still things that they took a chance with but they'll be hesitant to give another chance to a series that I'm sure has brought in more money than the examples I gave in this point.

(Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Eh, I feel like Nintendo rarely gets their stuff leaked unless it's Pokémon related, and that probably occurs because Nintendo aren't the ones in total control of that IP. If nothing else, I do wonder if there will be any QoL changes like what we saw with the Super Mario RPG remake.

For those interested, Nintendo put out a new advertisement on their social channels that features Mario and Goombella in a few early game scenes, and I didn't post this one at the time since it is just the opening cutscene of the game but I'll post it now while I'm doing this video:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looks like Nintendo are ramping up the marketing for the game now that the release is just about a month away. They've been making a good number of social media posts over the last two days but these two are the only ones I saw worth embedding here (especially since embedded tweets are rather big and linking them screws over anyone without an account):

Also, apparently Nintendo tried to use Splatoon to market Color Splash back in the day which I never knew about:

[Image: Z5Q9E7t.jpeg]

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looks like Nintendo are ramping up the marketing for the game now that the release is just about a month away. They've been making a good number of social media posts over the last two days but these two are the only ones I saw worth embedding here (especially since embedded tweets are rather big and linking them screws over anyone without an account):

Also, apparently Nintendo tried to use Splatoon to market Color Splash back in the day which I never knew about:

[Image: Z5Q9E7t.jpeg]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't need any advertising, I got my order and await that day. =3

Huh just realised the 23rd is a Thursday, just before Friday which is usually the normal day new games release. Frick work, I need to book that weekend off or a whole week, haha.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't need any advertising, I got my order and await that day. =3

Huh just realised the 23rd is a Thursday, just before Friday which is usually the normal day new games release. Frick work, I need to book that weekend off or a whole week, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I haven't pre-ordered but I definitely intend to buy the game on release day. I hope enough people buy the game to show Nintendo what they should actually be doing with the Paper Mario IP. Maybe they'll actually be able to cast memorable characters like that crock of shit statement in that Color Splash ad claims that game has. Whistle

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I haven't pre-ordered but I definitely intend to buy the game on release day. I hope enough people buy the game to show Nintendo what they should actually be doing with the Paper Mario IP. Maybe they'll actually be able to cast memorable characters like that crock of shit statement in that Color Splash ad claims that game has. Whistle

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LittleBigPlanet (Series) | User Created Content Offline Permanently Moonface 35 16,343 10 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Persona (Series) | P3 Aigis The First Answer Port Announced Moonface 21 1,469 Apr 19th, 2024, 02:25 PM
  Rayman (Series) Moonface 18 9,929 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:07 PM
  Hades (Series) | Hades II Early Access Announcement Moonface 15 6,547 Apr 17th, 2024, 10:19 PM
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 120 12,824 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:29 PM