Elden Ring | Shadow of the Erdtree Trailer
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Has anyone messed with the crafting this game offers? Been watching someone do a Consumables-Only run of the game and it's been... interesting, to say the least ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Has anyone messed with the crafting this game offers? Been watching someone do a Consumables-Only run of the game and it's been... interesting, to say the least ROFL
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Unfortunately no. I have the crafting equipment but then I totally forget I can craft and use it like a doofus.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Unfortunately no. I have the crafting equipment but then I totally forget I can craft and use it like a doofus.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,647
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Mar 29th, 2022, 01:57 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I'm a huge pussy so I wanted to be able to attack from far away lmfao
Ah. That was sorta my approach to playing Demon's Souls, where I went for a build that was both melee and ranged so I could attack enemies out of my reach easily. I should've gone magic for it instead of bow though because I always run out of arrows. x.x
I assume it's not too hard to keep your MP replenished in this game so far? I've not seen anyone heavily using magic to see how MP regen works.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,647 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Mar 29th, 2022, 01:57 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I'm a huge pussy so I wanted to be able to attack from far away lmfao
Ah. That was sorta my approach to playing Demon's Souls, where I went for a build that was both melee and ranged so I could attack enemies out of my reach easily. I should've gone magic for it instead of bow though because I always run out of arrows. x.x
I assume it's not too hard to keep your MP replenished in this game so far? I've not seen anyone heavily using magic to see how MP regen works.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
uhhhh depends on the spell but summoning spirits to help in boss battles uses mp as well. so it's all about balance. I mean there are flasks to heal mp but those only get recharged at sites of grace
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
uhhhh depends on the spell but summoning spirits to help in boss battles uses mp as well. so it's all about balance. I mean there are flasks to heal mp but those only get recharged at sites of grace
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Well at least there's a rechargeable MP source in the game unlike some of the other Souls games where it's a finite consumable you have to gather more of.

I saw a little of the crafting in the game and I like that you can just make things you need by just gathering things from the world, as opposed to other Souls games where pickups only spawn once and then you have to either grind it off enemies (and hope they drop it) or grind currency to buy it from a vendor. It's nice there's a more reliable way of getting things in this game, especially after the torture I've had with a bow run in Demon's Souls.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Well at least there's a rechargeable MP source in the game unlike some of the other Souls games where it's a finite consumable you have to gather more of.

I saw a little of the crafting in the game and I like that you can just make things you need by just gathering things from the world, as opposed to other Souls games where pickups only spawn once and then you have to either grind it off enemies (and hope they drop it) or grind currency to buy it from a vendor. It's nice there's a more reliable way of getting things in this game, especially after the torture I've had with a bow run in Demon's Souls.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah it's been tons of fun. only thing I'm struggling with is smithing stones but now I know I can get a key item to get a vendor to sell them to me so I'm gonna go work on that
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah it's been tons of fun. only thing I'm struggling with is smithing stones but now I know I can get a key item to get a vendor to sell them to me so I'm gonna go work on that
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How many bosses have you got through now @Monocle?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How many bosses have you got through now @Monocle?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
uhhh that's a good question. I've beaten a few enemies and a few great enemies but I wasn't keeping track. but the world is so damn big that I know it's only the tip of the iceberg
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
uhhh that's a good question. I've beaten a few enemies and a few great enemies but I wasn't keeping track. but the world is so damn big that I know it's only the tip of the iceberg
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I really need to get myself back into this game, but it's a struggle.

It's a pretty bad sign when I choose to replay FFVII for the 100th time over playing something new like Elden Ring. I think I just need to restart in Elden Ring and go with a different build and also explore more thoroughly before opening new areas, and just leaving myself with too much to explore in a huge random mess of a map.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I really need to get myself back into this game, but it's a struggle.

It's a pretty bad sign when I choose to replay FFVII for the 100th time over playing something new like Elden Ring. I think I just need to restart in Elden Ring and go with a different build and also explore more thoroughly before opening new areas, and just leaving myself with too much to explore in a huge random mess of a map.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 3rd, 2022, 03:06 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I think bosses in this game are all through those fog gates unless they're in the open world areas. I could be wrong though.

@Dragon Lord: What build did you go with and what one(s) are you looking at for a fresh start?

Also, piggy backing off @ShiraNoMai's earlier post about someone doing a consumables only run, they finished it a few nights ago. It was neat to see a challenge run that wasn't a typical "Soul Lvl 1" run and I wonder what other types of runs are possible in this game that aren't really feasible in the other Souls games. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think bosses in this game are all through those fog gates unless they're in the open world areas. I could be wrong though.

@Dragon Lord: What build did you go with and what one(s) are you looking at for a fresh start?

Also, piggy backing off @ShiraNoMai's earlier post about someone doing a consumables only run, they finished it a few nights ago. It was neat to see a challenge run that wasn't a typical "Soul Lvl 1" run and I wonder what other types of runs are possible in this game that aren't really feasible in the other Souls games. Hmm
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
there's bosses out in the field too. boss HP bars on the bottom of the screen and anything. So it's been fun just finding something deadly. rip me
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
there's bosses out in the field too. boss HP bars on the bottom of the screen and anything. So it's been fun just finding something deadly. rip me
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Apr 4th, 2022, 10:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I was running a pure DEX build, but I'd probably switch to a DEX/INT build because not using magic in this game is just pure hell. They gave such a staggering advantage to magic in this game, more so than any other Souls games, and you just feel like you get super hardcore punished for not using it. Especially since so many bosses have long combo strings that often hit you despite rolling, because they attack fast enough to hit you in between rolls despite timing it as best as you can. 

Also I'm sure LobosJR will do every challenge run under the sun with Elden Ring, as he's done with every Souls game. He's done consumable only runs of Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne I believe. He did a LV1 challenge first, and now he's going through the game figuring out what can be done in the cheesiest ways possible, and then after that I'm sure he'll start tearing through whatever challenge runs he can think of. Bow only, consumable only, fist only, etc..
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

I was running a pure DEX build, but I'd probably switch to a DEX/INT build because not using magic in this game is just pure hell. They gave such a staggering advantage to magic in this game, more so than any other Souls games, and you just feel like you get super hardcore punished for not using it. Especially since so many bosses have long combo strings that often hit you despite rolling, because they attack fast enough to hit you in between rolls despite timing it as best as you can. 

Also I'm sure LobosJR will do every challenge run under the sun with Elden Ring, as he's done with every Souls game. He's done consumable only runs of Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne I believe. He did a LV1 challenge first, and now he's going through the game figuring out what can be done in the cheesiest ways possible, and then after that I'm sure he'll start tearing through whatever challenge runs he can think of. Bow only, consumable only, fist only, etc..
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 5th, 2022, 04:44 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that some enemies will have combo strings that are so quick and stacked back-to-back that you have to spam dodge repeatedly to avoid it all, but that only works if you didn't get the timing wrong on the first dodge to eventually end up slightly behind in frames on following attacks. Mix that sort of thing with instances of double boss fights or other enemies being present in the fight and I really don't see how some stuff is supposed to be done without just attacking from range. Errm

Also I did not think a consumable only run would be possible for the other Souls games, especially Bloodborne (I say especially because it's the only one I've played to know what consumables are really like in it). It sounds like it would be a total slog for some of those games.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 5th, 2022, 04:44 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that some enemies will have combo strings that are so quick and stacked back-to-back that you have to spam dodge repeatedly to avoid it all, but that only works if you didn't get the timing wrong on the first dodge to eventually end up slightly behind in frames on following attacks. Mix that sort of thing with instances of double boss fights or other enemies being present in the fight and I really don't see how some stuff is supposed to be done without just attacking from range. Errm

Also I did not think a consumable only run would be possible for the other Souls games, especially Bloodborne (I say especially because it's the only one I've played to know what consumables are really like in it). It sounds like it would be a total slog for some of those games.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a survey got held to ask a sample of 1700 players what they thought of Elden Ring across various aspects, of which were then ranked based on the responses from the participants, including first class choice, prioritized stats, favourite weapons types/skills/ashes of war, favourite sorceries and incantations, favourite talismans, areas that left the strongest impression, and a whole bunch more: Frontline JP: Elden Ring Survey Results

There's a lot in there, but I'll put the list of what people liked the most below since I think it's one of the most interesting and I'm curious where others here rank some of those aspects based on their time with the game. Smile

What Do Players Like About Elden Ring?
  1. The story/world: 1410
  2. The field: 1391
  3. Exploration: 1225
  4. Boss combat: 1189
  5. Weapons and armor: 1091
  6. Characters (including NPCs): 995
  7. Dungeon crawling: 992
  8. The size of the map: 956
  9. The graphics: 912
  10. The ashes of war and weapon arts: 884
  11. The music: 841
  12.  The spirit ashes: 797
  13. The combat balance: 786
  14. Sorceries and incantations: 763
  15. Character design: 740
  16. The horse: 711
  17. The leveling system: 682
  18. The controls: 560
  19. Multiplayer: 469
  20. The equipment upgrade system: 458
  21. Item crafting: 150

I'm not surprised Caelid ranked highly in the most impactful areas, since I expect a lot of people discovered it by being warped there by the trapped chest in the starting area and it tends to also be the one area I see people bring up the most on social media. Great Claws must be really shit since that weapon only got 8 votes out of 1700 people. XD 
I think combining story and world into one option is a little flawed, because it's hard to tell how much of a vote was made leaning towards one of those two parts more. It would've been better to do an option of story/lore instead since those are intertwined a lot more than the world and story are.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a survey got held to ask a sample of 1700 players what they thought of Elden Ring across various aspects, of which were then ranked based on the responses from the participants, including first class choice, prioritized stats, favourite weapons types/skills/ashes of war, favourite sorceries and incantations, favourite talismans, areas that left the strongest impression, and a whole bunch more: Frontline JP: Elden Ring Survey Results

There's a lot in there, but I'll put the list of what people liked the most below since I think it's one of the most interesting and I'm curious where others here rank some of those aspects based on their time with the game. Smile

What Do Players Like About Elden Ring?
  1. The story/world: 1410
  2. The field: 1391
  3. Exploration: 1225
  4. Boss combat: 1189
  5. Weapons and armor: 1091
  6. Characters (including NPCs): 995
  7. Dungeon crawling: 992
  8. The size of the map: 956
  9. The graphics: 912
  10. The ashes of war and weapon arts: 884
  11. The music: 841
  12.  The spirit ashes: 797
  13. The combat balance: 786
  14. Sorceries and incantations: 763
  15. Character design: 740
  16. The horse: 711
  17. The leveling system: 682
  18. The controls: 560
  19. Multiplayer: 469
  20. The equipment upgrade system: 458
  21. Item crafting: 150

I'm not surprised Caelid ranked highly in the most impactful areas, since I expect a lot of people discovered it by being warped there by the trapped chest in the starting area and it tends to also be the one area I see people bring up the most on social media. Great Claws must be really shit since that weapon only got 8 votes out of 1700 people. XD 
I think combining story and world into one option is a little flawed, because it's hard to tell how much of a vote was made leaning towards one of those two parts more. It would've been better to do an option of story/lore instead since those are intertwined a lot more than the world and story are.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It's crazy that barely over half the surveyed folk did not give a shit about the music. There are some really good tracks in that game, and it's a shame people are half and half on it. Same with the characters, I actually liked the character designs!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It's crazy that barely over half the surveyed folk did not give a shit about the music. There are some really good tracks in that game, and it's a shame people are half and half on it. Same with the characters, I actually liked the character designs!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekken 8 | Eddy Gordo Trailer Moonface 207 9,718 Apr 7th, 2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Final Fantasy XVI | DLC Trailer + Release Dates Moonface 19 2,509 Dec 8th, 2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Shadow of the Tomb Raider King Atem 10 9,237 Jul 21st, 2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: WR91