Steam Deck
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Valve has announced the Steam Deck, a handheld gaming PC that is touted as the "most gaming power you have ever held", and will begin shipping in December 2021: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

IGN Wrote:
The Steam Deck has a form factor similar to that of a slightly larger Nintendo Switch but with the capabilities of a full gaming PC. It runs a modified version of Valve’s SteamOS, complete with a new console-like interface for easy navigation of both the Steam store and your Steam library, but it also provides access to an unrestricted computer desktop where any third-party applications can be installed (including non-Steam games or launchers).

There will be three models available, however all models will run games exactly the same. The differences are only in storage capacity and extra goodies:

$399 64GB
  • 64GB eMMC internal storage
  • Carrying case
$529 256GB
  • 256GB NVMe SSD internal storage
  • Faster storage
  • Carrying case
  • Exclusive Steam Community profile bundle
$649 512GB
  • 512GB NVMe SSD internal storage
  • Fastest storage
  • Premium anti-glare etched glass
  • Exclusive carrying case
  • Exclusive virtual keyboard theme
Here is a quick look at the technical specifications of the system:

Processor
  • AMD APU
  • CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
  • GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
  • APU power: 4-15W
RAM
  • 16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)
Storage
  • 64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
  • 512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
  • All models include high-speed microSD card slot
Full size measurements and other hardware features can be found here: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

I forgot that Valve were going to be doing this and then suddenly saw it all over the place after I finished my therapy session and started browsing the web. XD
Doubt I'd ever get one, but I can see this being popular for people who travel a lot and want to play games outside of the Switch ecosystem. $400 for the cheapest model sounds good but I doubt you'd get many big titles stored on it at once.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Valve has announced the Steam Deck, a handheld gaming PC that is touted as the "most gaming power you have ever held", and will begin shipping in December 2021: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

IGN Wrote:
The Steam Deck has a form factor similar to that of a slightly larger Nintendo Switch but with the capabilities of a full gaming PC. It runs a modified version of Valve’s SteamOS, complete with a new console-like interface for easy navigation of both the Steam store and your Steam library, but it also provides access to an unrestricted computer desktop where any third-party applications can be installed (including non-Steam games or launchers).

There will be three models available, however all models will run games exactly the same. The differences are only in storage capacity and extra goodies:

$399 64GB
  • 64GB eMMC internal storage
  • Carrying case
$529 256GB
  • 256GB NVMe SSD internal storage
  • Faster storage
  • Carrying case
$649 512GB
  • 512GB NVMe SSD internal storage
  • Fastest storage
  • Premium anti-glare etched glass
  • Exclusive carrying case
  • Exclusive virtual keyboard theme
Here is a quick look at the technical specifications of the system:

Processor
  • AMD APU
  • CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
  • GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
  • APU power: 4-15W
RAM
  • 16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)
Storage
  • 64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
  • 512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
  • All models include high-speed microSD card slot
Full size measurements and other hardware features can be found here: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

I forgot that Valve were going to be doing this and then suddenly saw it all over the place after I finished my therapy session and started browsing the web. XD
Doubt I'd ever get one, but I can see this being popular for people who travel a lot and want to play games outside of the Switch ecosystem. $400 for the cheapest model sounds good but I doubt you'd get many big titles stored on it at once.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'd consider it if I was more mobile with my Switch game playing. I'd say there's a 30% chance of me playing my Switch outside the dock on a regular basis, so having PC titles on the go doesn't necessarily make this more appealing. However, I can see the appeal this has for some.

My only concern, based on the construction of it, was the lack of fan ventilation. Only fans on the top, from the diagrams, which seems... pretty low considering the stuff inside it. The Switch gets warm with the guts it has, so it only concerns me further as to hot these things get when playing more intensive titles Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'd consider it if I was more mobile with my Switch game playing. I'd say there's a 30% chance of me playing my Switch outside the dock on a regular basis, so having PC titles on the go doesn't necessarily make this more appealing. However, I can see the appeal this has for some.

My only concern, based on the construction of it, was the lack of fan ventilation. Only fans on the top, from the diagrams, which seems... pretty low considering the stuff inside it. The Switch gets warm with the guts it has, so it only concerns me further as to hot these things get when playing more intensive titles Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I don't have too much interest in this, but part of me wonders if Nintendo is going to attempt any lawsuits over this. The design is very close to the Switch's, and we all know how sue-happy Nintendo can be when it comes to anything remotely resembling their products. More so the Switch Lites, due to not having detachable sides, but still, it looks very similar to the switch aside from slight differences in the button layouts.

Not that I really care about it looking similar, I'm just very interested to see if Nintendo goes after a bigger fish like Valve, or if they'll get their lawsuits to smaller groups they know can't possibly fight back against them. Though Nintendo is still bigger than Valve, so they could possibly go for it regardless. Like I said, we all know Nintendo gets a little uppity when things resemble their own products.

It could potentially make for a good show, if they do end up trying to go after Valve for it.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I don't have too much interest in this, but part of me wonders if Nintendo is going to attempt any lawsuits over this. The design is very close to the Switch's, and we all know how sue-happy Nintendo can be when it comes to anything remotely resembling their products. More so the Switch Lites, due to not having detachable sides, but still, it looks very similar to the switch aside from slight differences in the button layouts.

Not that I really care about it looking similar, I'm just very interested to see if Nintendo goes after a bigger fish like Valve, or if they'll get their lawsuits to smaller groups they know can't possibly fight back against them. Though Nintendo is still bigger than Valve, so they could possibly go for it regardless. Like I said, we all know Nintendo gets a little uppity when things resemble their own products.

It could potentially make for a good show, if they do end up trying to go after Valve for it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I really doubt it. I also don't even see this being even a potential competitor for the Switch in the eyes of Nintendo. They didn't care when Sony came out with their PSP/Vita, didn't care about any of the several Gameboy offbrands that came out around that time, and they won't care now.

Besides, companies like Razer and Nvidia have already come out with components (and even patenting hardware) for look-alikes to the Switch design and Nintendo hasn't batted an eyelid yet. The only thing I think Nintendo cared about was anything to replicate the actual Joycon themselves (which, I guess, makes sense, considering the unique nature of them) and because Valve here isn't doing detachable controllers that compare to it, I don't think Nintendo cares.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I really doubt it. I also don't even see this being even a potential competitor for the Switch in the eyes of Nintendo. They didn't care when Sony came out with their PSP/Vita, didn't care about any of the several Gameboy offbrands that came out around that time, and they won't care now.

Besides, companies like Razer and Nvidia have already come out with components (and even patenting hardware) for look-alikes to the Switch design and Nintendo hasn't batted an eyelid yet. The only thing I think Nintendo cared about was anything to replicate the actual Joycon themselves (which, I guess, makes sense, considering the unique nature of them) and because Valve here isn't doing detachable controllers that compare to it, I don't think Nintendo cares.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, this is just like a more powerful and diverse PSP or Vita so I can't see Nintendo doing anything about it since a handheld system with controls on the sides isn't new.

I think the only downside this could have is that saves are cloud based for Steam, and not having internet means your progress isn't coming over if you last played on something other than the Deck. You'd need to sync it before stuff like flights. It's not a deal breaker at all but I can see it being something people overlook until it hits them.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, this is just like a more powerful and diverse PSP or Vita so I can't see Nintendo doing anything about it since a handheld system with controls on the sides isn't new.

I think the only downside this could have is that saves are cloud based for Steam, and not having internet means your progress isn't coming over if you last played on something other than the Deck. You'd need to sync it before stuff like flights. It's not a deal breaker at all but I can see it being something people overlook until it hits them.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Best part about this is it doesn't need Windows. Gosh, I hate Windows!!
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 29th, 2021, 02:45 AM)Metallix Wrote:
Probably for the best it doesn't use any official OS. Otherwise Valve would need to pay for any licenses or deal with the OS creators trying to bargain with them for preference of theirs over another OS.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 29th, 2021, 02:45 AM)Metallix Wrote:
Probably for the best it doesn't use any official OS. Otherwise Valve would need to pay for any licenses or deal with the OS creators trying to bargain with them for preference of theirs over another OS.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Ya it would inevitably raise the price. It's still pretty steep for the higher models but $399 with a micro SD would be a good value.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Ya it would inevitably raise the price. It's still pretty steep for the higher models but $399 with a micro SD would be a good value.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The storage space might not even need to be a concern if the Steam Cloud ever leaves beta and becomes viable for use with the system. It would be very useful for games that have such large file sizes that even the higher end models will struggle to store them.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The storage space might not even need to be a concern if the Steam Cloud ever leaves beta and becomes viable for use with the system. It would be very useful for games that have such large file sizes that even the higher end models will struggle to store them.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 20th, 2021, 07:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I can dream of watching Valve get absolutely smashed by Nintendo in a lawsuit. It would be a glorious show to watch.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 20th, 2021, 07:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I can dream of watching Valve get absolutely smashed by Nintendo in a lawsuit. It would be a glorious show to watch.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Linus Tech Tips (a famous and decent YouTube tech channel) did a early hands on preview of it as well, and he did a bit more in-depth on how the prototype runs, from the hotspots of the console, to the latencies between game and network play.

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Linus Tech Tips (a famous and decent YouTube tech channel) did a early hands on preview of it as well, and he did a bit more in-depth on how the prototype runs, from the hotspots of the console, to the latencies between game and network play.

Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
XP: 2,255
I'm kind of interested in this, actually. Although I don't travel much and already own a gaming laptop, gaming outside of the home or while lying down on the couch sounds like it could have its benefits. Handheld gaming is probably my second most favorite type of gaming, so I could see myself buying one of these, particularly if there was a sale on them. I'm just afraid if I buy one it'll be like my iPad Pro all over again where I rarely use it and it essentially became another one of my family members' belongings. I'm pretty bad about buying expensive stuff off and on throughout my life and rarely using them and seem to be stuck in my old ways, but I digress that this looks like a heck of a way to play games!
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
I'm kind of interested in this, actually. Although I don't travel much and already own a gaming laptop, gaming outside of the home or while lying down on the couch sounds like it could have its benefits. Handheld gaming is probably my second most favorite type of gaming, so I could see myself buying one of these, particularly if there was a sale on them. I'm just afraid if I buy one it'll be like my iPad Pro all over again where I rarely use it and it essentially became another one of my family members' belongings. I'm pretty bad about buying expensive stuff off and on throughout my life and rarely using them and seem to be stuck in my old ways, but I digress that this looks like a heck of a way to play games!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 14th, 2021, 02:21 AM)Cory Wrote:
I'm kind of interested in this, actually. Although I don't travel much and already own a gaming laptop, gaming outside of the home or while lying down on the couch sounds like it could have its benefits.
Yeah, as a Switch owner I find that the handheld ability is best for places like airports or such where you don't want to go through the effort of setting up (or even taking around) a laptop and can just pull out your handheld and get stuck in and then stop as soon as you need to without much hassle. It's mostly the ease of portability I like for it because having one on a plane feels simpler than using a laptop.

Handheld gaming is probably my second most favorite type of gaming...
I feel stupid for asking this but what other types of gaming is there besides either home system or handheld? Unless you're classifying things like PC and mobile as separate from home consoles? Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm kind of interested in this, actually. Although I don't travel much and already own a gaming laptop, gaming outside of the home or while lying down on the couch sounds like it could have its benefits.
Yeah, as a Switch owner I find that the handheld ability is best for places like airports or such where you don't want to go through the effort of setting up (or even taking around) a laptop and can just pull out your handheld and get stuck in and then stop as soon as you need to without much hassle. It's mostly the ease of portability I like for it because having one on a plane feels simpler than using a laptop.

Handheld gaming is probably my second most favorite type of gaming...
I feel stupid for asking this but what other types of gaming is there besides either home system or handheld? Unless you're classifying things like PC and mobile as separate from home consoles? Unsure
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
(Dec 15th, 2021, 12:53 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Unless you're classifying things like PC and mobile as separate from home consoles? Unsure
Exactly, PC is like my most favorite way to play games, followed by handhelds, then consoles.
Cory Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
(Dec 15th, 2021, 12:53 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Unless you're classifying things like PC and mobile as separate from home consoles? Unsure
Exactly, PC is like my most favorite way to play games, followed by handhelds, then consoles.
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
XP: 192
I never got into handheld gaming. I prefer a full blown desktop gaming rig!
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
XP: 192
I never got into handheld gaming. I prefer a full blown desktop gaming rig!