What Game Stories Have You Got Invested In?
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
So I know my title is a bit vagued, but I wanted to ask all my friends on Universal Gaming about a concept that I just love to see. Stories in games that really suck you in that you care about these characters you really get invested in them and you don't want to put down the game and you want to see it through until the end.

I'll start off with a few for me:
1. Majora's Mask
This probably is the first game in the series that to me I really got sucked into it learning about these characters their reactions to the inevitable dooms day of the moon crashing it was truly an amazing story game and honestly I can't say anyother Zelda I played has captured this since of these are real people with their own stories and due to the time mechanic we can really get a sense of who they are what they are worried about and try to help them with their problems. 
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
When I first got this game I picked it up and focused on helping out the gang and seeing this until the end of the story the characters were all likable and I did get invested inot their story seeing Dutch slowly devolve into the state that he is in Red Dead Redemption 1. The development of all the gang was really interesting and it was a good ride the whole way through and the pacing really ramped up as everything truly did go to hell.
3. Shin Megami Tensei IV
SMT IV was the first official Shin Megami Tensei game that I played after my introduction to the series with Persona 3 and its an interesting one the apocalypse has basically already happened at this point in the story and the main character lives in an ancient Japan type city in the sky eventually you make your way down to Tokyo and get to see the hell hole that Tokyo has become humanity still lives but they live in fear and groups of power contend for control over Tokyo and you eventually get to the point where you decide the fate of Tokyo and Mikado.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
So I know my title is a bit vagued, but I wanted to ask all my friends on Universal Gaming about a concept that I just love to see. Stories in games that really suck you in that you care about these characters you really get invested in them and you don't want to put down the game and you want to see it through until the end.

I'll start off with a few for me:
1. Majora's Mask
This probably is the first game in the series that to me I really got sucked into it learning about these characters their reactions to the inevitable dooms day of the moon crashing it was truly an amazing story game and honestly I can't say anyother Zelda I played has captured this since of these are real people with their own stories and due to the time mechanic we can really get a sense of who they are what they are worried about and try to help them with their problems. 
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
When I first got this game I picked it up and focused on helping out the gang and seeing this until the end of the story the characters were all likable and I did get invested inot their story seeing Dutch slowly devolve into the state that he is in Red Dead Redemption 1. The development of all the gang was really interesting and it was a good ride the whole way through and the pacing really ramped up as everything truly did go to hell.
3. Shin Megami Tensei IV
SMT IV was the first official Shin Megami Tensei game that I played after my introduction to the series with Persona 3 and its an interesting one the apocalypse has basically already happened at this point in the story and the main character lives in an ancient Japan type city in the sky eventually you make your way down to Tokyo and get to see the hell hole that Tokyo has become humanity still lives but they live in fear and groups of power contend for control over Tokyo and you eventually get to the point where you decide the fate of Tokyo and Mikado.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I edited the title of the thread to something that might be less vague, since you wasn't keen on the original title as per you post @Karo. Wink

For stories I got invested in and wanted to see it through to the end, Red Dead Redemption and its sequel are both game stories I really got into. I really enjoyed the characters in both games and the biggest draw for the sequel for me was finding out what happened to the Van Der Linde gang. I remember being so invested in the sequel that I ended up in the finale without realizing beforehand, which I was intending to do when @ShiraNoMai was home to see it. XD
I never finished the epilogue of RDR2 though, because it didn't really manage to hold my interest doing menial chores and stuff in a game I already had gripes about for being horrifically slow for the sake of realism.

The Last of Us was another story I got really invested into, and one of the few that has made me actually need to step away because of how heavy some scenes are. No other game has come close to making me feel the way that games story made me feel.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I edited the title of the thread to something that might be less vague, since you wasn't keen on the original title as per you post @Karo. Wink

For stories I got invested in and wanted to see it through to the end, Red Dead Redemption and its sequel are both game stories I really got into. I really enjoyed the characters in both games and the biggest draw for the sequel for me was finding out what happened to the Van Der Linde gang. I remember being so invested in the sequel that I ended up in the finale without realizing beforehand, which I was intending to do when @ShiraNoMai was home to see it. XD
I never finished the epilogue of RDR2 though, because it didn't really manage to hold my interest doing menial chores and stuff in a game I already had gripes about for being horrifically slow for the sake of realism.

The Last of Us was another story I got really invested into, and one of the few that has made me actually need to step away because of how heavy some scenes are. No other game has come close to making me feel the way that games story made me feel.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Uncharted, well 2-4 because of the main trio of Nate, Sully and Elena, and by extension Chloe and Sam all being lovable characters (to me), a story easy to follow and not take seriously apart from the relationships between them. XD

Xenoblade Chronicles to an extent. By that I mean I haven't gotten invested in the Mechonis half, well I kinda of am but I just didn't get that far into it and haven't played it since, but do want to, just other stuff getting in the way so I lost the urgency to play the rest. What I did play of the Bionis half and the start of Mechonis I loved every minute. Grin

Some more may come to mind later.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Uncharted, well 2-4 because of the main trio of Nate, Sully and Elena, and by extension Chloe and Sam all being lovable characters (to me), a story easy to follow and not take seriously apart from the relationships between them. XD

Xenoblade Chronicles to an extent. By that I mean I haven't gotten invested in the Mechonis half, well I kinda of am but I just didn't get that far into it and haven't played it since, but do want to, just other stuff getting in the way so I lost the urgency to play the rest. What I did play of the Bionis half and the start of Mechonis I loved every minute. Grin

Some more may come to mind later.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
shit there are a ton of stories but one always comes to mind

Tales of the Abyss

Luke is a piece of shit that has some of the best character development I've seen. the rest of the cast were great too. Finally learning everything about Luke and how The Score basically controlled the events of the story was amazing. I'm ready to replay it now
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
shit there are a ton of stories but one always comes to mind

Tales of the Abyss

Luke is a piece of shit that has some of the best character development I've seen. the rest of the cast were great too. Finally learning everything about Luke and how The Score basically controlled the events of the story was amazing. I'm ready to replay it now
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Without telling much about it, I thought The Last of Us's story was excellent and very well executed. It grabbed me from the very first moment and carried me through multiple playthroughs, a side comic and a DLC... TOO BAD 2's UNDERWHELMED ME TO THE POINT OF SHOCK.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Without telling much about it, I thought The Last of Us's story was excellent and very well executed. It grabbed me from the very first moment and carried me through multiple playthroughs, a side comic and a DLC... TOO BAD 2's UNDERWHELMED ME TO THE POINT OF SHOCK.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 6th, 2021, 06:01 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
What about 2 wasn't you fond of in that sense? I had my own grievances with the game but I'm curious what yours are. Smile

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What about 2 wasn't you fond of in that sense? I had my own grievances with the game but I'm curious what yours are. Smile
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 6th, 2021, 06:16 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It honestly felt incredibly aimless and forced. I also found it to be very heartless in its execution and annoying to play in spots... not to mention, seems to have set itself up to assure that there will never be another one made (or to at least wish that wasn't the case).

And this is totally just me, but... maaaan was it long!
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

It honestly felt incredibly aimless and forced. I also found it to be very heartless in its execution and annoying to play in spots... not to mention, seems to have set itself up to assure that there will never be another one made (or to at least wish that wasn't the case).

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 6th, 2021, 06:36 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

Length is definitely an issue for it, although I wouldn't mind the length so much if there weren't areas of the game that feel padded and slow for the sake of a video game, especially for Abby. I also think it was a double edged sword to have Abby's Seattle segments all come after Ellie's, since on the one hand I don't know anyone that was happy about the rest of the theatre scene being pushed back for hours of gameplay with a character everyone hated at the moment that occurs, but on the other hand it would be difficult to get the same emotional rollercoaster of forgiveness by moving her sections to an earlier point in the game.

I will also say that there was not a single death in Part 2 that made me feel as bad as I did for those who died in Part 1, including the very first one in the game. There was just so much of it and all of it expected given the tone that I became numb to it all, and maybe that was meant to make the player feel the lack of sympathy that almost every character exudes during any death scene, but in making a lot of them throwaway and/or justified it was hard to care, even when Jessie dies who was probably the only innocent person in the entire cast to die in Ellie and Abby's conflict.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Length is definitely an issue for it, although I wouldn't mind the length so much if there weren't areas of the game that feel padded and slow for the sake of a video game, especially for Abby. I also think it was a double edged sword to have Abby's Seattle segments all come after Ellie's, since on the one hand I don't know anyone that was happy about the rest of the theatre scene being pushed back for hours of gameplay with a character everyone hated at the moment that occurs, but on the other hand it would be difficult to get the same emotional rollercoaster of forgiveness by moving her sections to an earlier point in the game.

I will also say that there was not a single death in Part 2 that made me feel as bad as I did for those who died in Part 1, including the very first one in the game. There was just so much of it and all of it expected given the tone that I became numb to it all, and maybe that was meant to make the player feel the lack of sympathy that almost every character exudes during any death scene, but in making a lot of them throwaway and/or justified it was hard to care, even when Jessie dies who was probably the only innocent person in the entire cast to die in Ellie and Abby's conflict.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 9th, 2021, 08:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, excellent points (especially about the theatre).

To me (and for most people, it seems) the wheels began falling off the second that bloody snowball fight mini-game turned up. Get that thing away from my emotionally-investing, heavy game!
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 9th, 2021, 08:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, excellent points (especially about the theatre).

To me (and for most people, it seems) the wheels began falling off the second that bloody snowball fight mini-game turned up. Get that thing away from my emotionally-investing, heavy game!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The snowball minigame didn't bother me, although I do wish it was optional whether to play or not. It's nice the first time, but I hate having to go through slow things like that on subsequent playthroughs; although, I'd say Naughty Dog has that problem with their games not being great to replay in the openings because the pacing is intended to be slow for a first time introduction. I appreciated that Horizon Zero Dawn skips the opening sequence entirely on New Game+ because there's no need to put the player through it again.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The snowball minigame didn't bother me, although I do wish it was optional whether to play or not. It's nice the first time, but I hate having to go through slow things like that on subsequent playthroughs; although, I'd say Naughty Dog has that problem with their games not being great to replay in the openings because the pacing is intended to be slow for a first time introduction. I appreciated that Horizon Zero Dawn skips the opening sequence entirely on New Game+ because there's no need to put the player through it again.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I agree with TLOU being one of those emotional-investment type games. I have to add Suikoden and Suikoden II to that list, though. These were games I never expected to grab me the way they did with the story-telling but god damn did it do a great job, all with just a little sprite work, dialogue and music. One of my favorite highlights comes in the form of having a 100% save file from Suikoden I when you start up a new Suikoden II game. ^_^
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I agree with TLOU being one of those emotional-investment type games. I have to add Suikoden and Suikoden II to that list, though. These were games I never expected to grab me the way they did with the story-telling but god damn did it do a great job, all with just a little sprite work, dialogue and music. One of my favorite highlights comes in the form of having a 100% save file from Suikoden I when you start up a new Suikoden II game. ^_^
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Aug 9th, 2021, 09:02 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah... I was gonna say. The ONE aspect that's rough for me to go back to in the original Last of Us is having to redo both the prologue with Sarah (which I didn't even know you could die on) and the kinda-tutorial level with Tess.

If it weren't for those, I would replay the game over and over again. As it stands, though, I saved right after and always go from there.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

Yeah... I was gonna say. The ONE aspect that's rough for me to go back to in the original Last of Us is having to redo both the prologue with Sarah (which I didn't even know you could die on) and the kinda-tutorial level with Tess.

If it weren't for those, I would replay the game over and over again. As it stands, though, I saved right after and always go from there.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 10th, 2021, 04:41 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Yeah, if I'm replaying the game for fun I usually chapter select to the area outside the Boston quarantine zone so that I can just get to where the game is actually enjoyable and not holding your hand for everything.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 10th, 2021, 04:41 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Yeah, if I'm replaying the game for fun I usually chapter select to the area outside the Boston quarantine zone so that I can just get to where the game is actually enjoyable and not holding your hand for everything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Game Development Stories? Moonface 0 160 Dec 9th, 2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Share your FPS stories popopdc 4 832 Oct 15th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,846 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface