Activision Blizzard Situation Thread | Latest: Big 3 Make Statements
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
While I think it's the right thing to do to change the name, it is the most minute of things they could do to even remotely resolve their problems. So, really, this is just a given; nothing to be giving praise over.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
While I think it's the right thing to do to change the name, it is the most minute of things they could do to even remotely resolve their problems. So, really, this is just a given; nothing to be giving praise over.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 26th, 2021, 11:38 PM)Karo Wrote:
See I feel like it can be a nice gesture for maybe some well known person in the community dying so I think ruling it out entirely is a bit sad, but I definitely do agree with changing Mccrees name!
I think that might be better done as skins at this point. At least then if somehow a dead person was discovered to be a piece of shit the costume can just be removed.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 26th, 2021, 11:38 PM)Karo Wrote:
See I feel like it can be a nice gesture for maybe some well known person in the community dying so I think ruling it out entirely is a bit sad, but I definitely do agree with changing Mccrees name!
I think that might be better done as skins at this point. At least then if somehow a dead person was discovered to be a piece of shit the costume can just be removed.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Feds involved now and Bobby Kotick subpoenaed

AAAAAAHHHHHH HA HA HA HAAAAA. 

Good for him. fuck that guy so much. gives himself a bonus while firing staff during a record profits year. I hope this destroys him.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

Good for him. fuck that guy so much. gives himself a bonus while firing staff during a record profits year. I hope this destroys him.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 21st, 2021, 01:22 AM)Monocle Wrote:

I'm not well versed on what a subpoena is, but from what I can tell it means Kotick can't hide evidence without punishment?

I definitely think shit has really hit the fan now though, because even Blizzard's chief legal officer has resigned. She basically looked at the situation and went "I ain't paid enough for this shit" and bailed. ROFL

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I'm not well versed on what a subpoena is, but from what I can tell it means Kotick can't hide evidence without punishment?

I definitely think shit has really hit the fan now though, because even Blizzard's chief legal officer has resigned. She basically looked at the situation and went "I ain't paid enough for this shit" and bailed. ROFL
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Honestly I am really glad that it really feel like for once they won't be able to just sweep it under the rug and forget about it.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Honestly I am really glad that it really feel like for once they won't be able to just sweep it under the rug and forget about it.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If anyone is curious what Blizzard has been doing to improve themselves during all of this, this press release covers the most recent developments on it: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2...nitiatives

Not overly keen on the use of "past workplace issues", as if the problems weren't happening recently when they probably were. I'd also like to know just how well implemented anything mentioned really is, because a press release from Blizzard is far too biased to determine if what they're doing actually has the substance to be good enough and isn't just empty words.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If anyone is curious what Blizzard has been doing to improve themselves during all of this, this press release covers the most recent developments on it: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2...nitiatives

Not overly keen on the use of "past workplace issues", as if the problems weren't happening recently when they probably were. I'd also like to know just how well implemented anything mentioned really is, because a press release from Blizzard is far too biased to determine if what they're doing actually has the substance to be good enough and isn't just empty words.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Sep 21st, 2021, 07:31 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It's a summons to appear in court. 

Honestly I don't know if I really think the Federal Government needed to get involved in this. This is something that the State should be more than sufficient at handling, and the Feds should be focused on bigger issues going on in this country right now.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Sep 21st, 2021, 07:31 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It's a summons to appear in court. 

Honestly I don't know if I really think the Federal Government needed to get involved in this. This is something that the State should be more than sufficient at handling, and the Feds should be focused on bigger issues going on in this country right now.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I actually didn't realise that by "feds" it literally meant the federal government. I've just heard the term "feds" used so much I just associate it with FBI or other powers that are higher than regular police, so I thought it was still the state but it was being put up to a higher investigative team but I didn't think higher team, i.e. the FBI, instantly equated to the federal government itself. Although I don't see how the SEC being involved has any effect on what the government is doing elsewhere, since it's just an investigative body/commission designed for this sort of thing, and I doubt this case is going to detract from the agency dealing with other cases that fall into their jurisdiction. Unsure

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I actually didn't realise that by "feds" it literally meant the federal government. I've just heard the term "feds" used so much I just associate it with FBI or other powers that are higher than regular police, so I thought it was still the state but it was being put up to a higher investigative team but I didn't think higher team, i.e. the FBI, instantly equated to the federal government itself. Although I don't see how the SEC being involved has any effect on what the government is doing elsewhere, since it's just an investigative body/commission designed for this sort of thing, and I doubt this case is going to detract from the agency dealing with other cases that fall into their jurisdiction. Unsure
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So the Feds reached a settlement with Activision Blizzard to the tune of $18 million dollars, along with "upgrading" Activizzard's training and performance reviews, and a couple other meaningless efforts. This is, quite frankly, fucking insulting. This is a company that made $2.2 BILLION in PROFIT; this is chump change for them to pay out! This is just a slap on the wrist, and this is going to amount to jack-point-shit, mark my words.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So the Feds reached a settlement with Activision Blizzard to the tune of $18 million dollars, along with "upgrading" Activizzard's training and performance reviews, and a couple other meaningless efforts. This is, quite frankly, fucking insulting. This is a company that made $2.2 BILLION in PROFIT; this is chump change for them to pay out! This is just a slap on the wrist, and this is going to amount to jack-point-shit, mark my words.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 29th, 2021, 12:18 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This is only a settlement with the EEOC though. The SEC would still be investigating them because they're a separate entity so Activision isn't out of the woods yet, but if the SEC settlement doesn't end up being much more than this one, then Activision may as well be out of the woods because like you said, $18 million is nothing to them. They'll probably just lay some people off to make up the cost. Errm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 29th, 2021, 12:18 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This is only a settlement with the EEOC though. The SEC would still be investigating them because they're a separate entity so Activision isn't out of the woods yet, but if the SEC settlement doesn't end up being much more than this one, then Activision may as well be out of the woods because like you said, $18 million is nothing to them. They'll probably just lay some people off to make up the cost. Errm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It amazes me how much Blizzard still tries to dig their heels in over this when every time something comes out it absolutely damns them, and impressively new things come out that happen after the last damning report comes out. Errm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It amazes me how much Blizzard still tries to dig their heels in over this when every time something comes out it absolutely damns them, and impressively new things come out that happen after the last damning report comes out. Errm
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
They make it worst with each statement they make.

They even had a "Zero Tolerance" promoted twit.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
They make it worst with each statement they make.

They even had a "Zero Tolerance" promoted twit.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I bet the board only stands with Kotick because of how he built the company up to be as successful monetarily it is. I'd hope the stocks crashing through the floor would do something but if they're still making hand over fist money why are they going to care about what happens? Especially when they know more than enough people will shell out money for things like the upcoming Diablo game and I bet there are a lot of people, unaware or otherwise, still handing money over for their existing games and/or DLC.

Kotick might get what's coming to him in the end, but I can't see the board ever getting any karma for standing with him through this unless his successor is able to oust any of them, but I don't know if a CEO has that power or not. Seems more like Kotick is at the will of the board and they could kick him out at a moments notice the second he stops being useful to them, or rather their pockets.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I bet the board only stands with Kotick because of how he built the company up to be as successful monetarily it is. I'd hope the stocks crashing through the floor would do something but if they're still making hand over fist money why are they going to care about what happens? Especially when they know more than enough people will shell out money for things like the upcoming Diablo game and I bet there are a lot of people, unaware or otherwise, still handing money over for their existing games and/or DLC.

Kotick might get what's coming to him in the end, but I can't see the board ever getting any karma for standing with him through this unless his successor is able to oust any of them, but I don't know if a CEO has that power or not. Seems more like Kotick is at the will of the board and they could kick him out at a moments notice the second he stops being useful to them, or rather their pockets.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Bro, apparently even shareholders want Kotick out. It's fuckin' nuts, man.

The level of ass-pulling these guys do on a day-to-day and seemingly thinking they can get away with all of it is next level. They need their come-upppance and soon. Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

The level of ass-pulling these guys do on a day-to-day and seemingly thinking they can get away with all of it is next level. They need their come-upppance and soon. Errm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 18th, 2021, 06:01 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

They also asked the two longest serving directors of the board to resign by the end of the year too:
Washington Post Wrote:
In addition to asking Kotick to resign, the group of shareholders is calling for the board’s two longest-serving directors, Brian Kelly and Robert Morgado, to retire by Dec. 31. Kelly is chairman of the Activision Blizzard board of directors and Morgado serves as lead independent director. The Activision Blizzard board of directors responded to the Journal’s article Tuesday, saying it remained “confident in Bobby Kotick’s leadership.”
However, I raise you on all of that with PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan admonishing "Activision Blizzard Inc. Wednesday for an inadequate response to allegations that Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct and harassment claims at the game publisher for years and that he had mistreated women." - PlayStation chief criticizes Activision's response to crisis.

Not only was this sent out to PlayStation employee's via email, but PlayStation directly reached out to Activision expressing their views on the situation. That's a huge deal; companies rarely go to that length in getting involved with another companies problems. I wonder if others will be encouraged to speak out? Imagine if Microsoft took the same stance and both companies collectively decide to stop letting Activision publish games on their platforms so as to not support a company that does the things Activision has done. Doubt it'd happen but it'd be crazy if it did.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 18th, 2021, 06:01 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

They also asked the two longest serving directors of the board to resign by the end of the year too:
Washington Post Wrote:
In addition to asking Kotick to resign, the group of shareholders is calling for the board’s two longest-serving directors, Brian Kelly and Robert Morgado, to retire by Dec. 31. Kelly is chairman of the Activision Blizzard board of directors and Morgado serves as lead independent director. The Activision Blizzard board of directors responded to the Journal’s article Tuesday, saying it remained “confident in Bobby Kotick’s leadership.”
However, I raise you on all of that with PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan admonishing "Activision Blizzard Inc. Wednesday for an inadequate response to allegations that Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct and harassment claims at the game publisher for years and that he had mistreated women." - PlayStation chief criticizes Activision's response to crisis.

Not only was this sent out to PlayStation employee's via email, but PlayStation directly reached out to Activision expressing their views on the situation. That's a huge deal; companies rarely go to that length in getting involved with another companies problems. I wonder if others will be encouraged to speak out? Imagine if Microsoft took the same stance and both companies collectively decide to stop letting Activision publish games on their platforms so as to not support a company that does the things Activision has done. Doubt it'd happen but it'd be crazy if it did.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game Pictures & Videos Thread Moonface 96 19,307 Jan 27th, 2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Microsoft Has Officially Acquired Activision Blizzard Dragon Lord 50 9,035 Oct 13th, 2023, 04:24 PM
  GotY/Gaming in 2022 Mega Thread Moonface 37 5,706 Jan 25th, 2023, 10:36 PM