Favourite Lines in Games?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Whether spoken or written, most games have dialogue to build their world, story, and characters. So what's some of your favourite dialogue lines in games that you've experienced?
If something you saw was instead written in a collectible that isn't active dialogue, such as a note, you can always share that in our Lore and World Building thread. Smile

Uncharted always had a lot of lines I enjoyed, and this is one of the most memorable for me:

Victor Sullivan: Well, well, well.
Elena Fisher: What?
Nathan Drake: Cause it's a well?

I also love that the same joke gets done in Uncharted 4 by Sam, and Drake tells Sully that Sam stole his joke. LOL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Whether spoken or written, most games have dialogue to build their world, story, and characters. So what's some of your favourite dialogue lines in games that you've experienced?
If something you saw was instead written in a collectible that isn't active dialogue, such as a note, you can always share that in our Lore and World Building thread. Smile

Uncharted always had a lot of lines I enjoyed, and this is one of the most memorable for me:

Victor Sullivan: Well, well, well.
Elena Fisher: What?
Nathan Drake: Cause it's a well?

I also love that the same joke gets done in Uncharted 4 by Sam, and Drake tells Sully that Sam stole his joke. LOL
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
One of my favorites is actually a monologue, rather than a true dialogue, but its a deeply chilling one. It's from Modern Warfare 2, and it's brilliant in every respect. For reference, this is the last area in the game, second to last mission, where Soap and Price decide to end the villain here. Soap notes their inventory, and with no prelude, Price says this:

"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory. Out-gunned. Outnumbered. Out of our minds. On a suicide mission. But the sand and the rocks here, stained with thousands of years of warfare... They will remember us. For this. Because out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one we choose for ourselves. We go forward like a breath exhaled from the Earth. With vigor in our hearts and one goal in sight: We. Will. Kill him."

To this day, I get a chill down my spine just thinking about it. I say this with no exaggeration: Modern Warfare 2 is the best game no one wanted to make (there is a TALE to the story of creating Modern Warfare 2, but it is a tale for another day...)
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
One of my favorites is actually a monologue, rather than a true dialogue, but its a deeply chilling one. It's from Modern Warfare 2, and it's brilliant in every respect. For reference, this is the last area in the game, second to last mission, where Soap and Price decide to end the villain here. Soap notes their inventory, and with no prelude, Price says this:

"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory. Out-gunned. Outnumbered. Out of our minds. On a suicide mission. But the sand and the rocks here, stained with thousands of years of warfare... They will remember us. For this. Because out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one we choose for ourselves. We go forward like a breath exhaled from the Earth. With vigor in our hearts and one goal in sight: We. Will. Kill him."

To this day, I get a chill down my spine just thinking about it. I say this with no exaggeration: Modern Warfare 2 is the best game no one wanted to make (there is a TALE to the story of creating Modern Warfare 2, but it is a tale for another day...)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: That's actually an incredibly cool quote. I love when games have dialogue that can be applied to a real situation, whether that situation is good or bad. It makes me think of another quote I love which is from Red Dead Redemption by John Marston:

Quote:It's easy to make up rules, but they ain't much use if the people don't understand why. Like my son. If I tell him not do somethin', he'll do it anyways, just to spite me. If I punish him, he resents me for it. But if I show him why it's wrong, at least has a reason not to do it again.
It always stuck out to me in the game because it shows that John does have good qualities about him, and what he says here is a lesson I think anyone could keep in mind when they become a parent.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: That's actually an incredibly cool quote. I love when games have dialogue that can be applied to a real situation, whether that situation is good or bad. It makes me think of another quote I love which is from Red Dead Redemption by John Marston:

Quote:It's easy to make up rules, but they ain't much use if the people don't understand why. Like my son. If I tell him not do somethin', he'll do it anyways, just to spite me. If I punish him, he resents me for it. But if I show him why it's wrong, at least has a reason not to do it again.
It always stuck out to me in the game because it shows that John does have good qualities about him, and what he says here is a lesson I think anyone could keep in mind when they become a parent.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Not exactly dialogue since it isn't spoken but it is a narrative statement so I guess it can count:

A Hat In Time Narrator Wrote:
"You got your soul back! You feel relieved, energised, and just the usual amount of empty!"

Another good one I forgot about is this from a mafia goon:

A Hat In Time Mafia Goon Wrote:
"Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!" Mafia punch seagull with child."

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Not exactly dialogue since it isn't spoken but it is a narrative statement so I guess it can count:

A Hat In Time Narrator Wrote:
"You got your soul back! You feel relieved, energised, and just the usual amount of empty!"

Another good one I forgot about is this from a mafia goon:

A Hat In Time Mafia Goon Wrote:
"Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!" Mafia punch seagull with child."
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Most of the GTA games have some good dialogue that's pretty memorable. Vice City, San Andreas and 5 have some great interactions and one liners that I enjoy.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Most of the GTA games have some good dialogue that's pretty memorable. Vice City, San Andreas and 5 have some great interactions and one liners that I enjoy.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Watching a stream of God of War (2018) and I forgot how good so much of the dialogue in the game is. My favourite though is any of the stories Kratos tells while in the boat, especially the first one where he tells the tale of the hare and the tortoise:

Quote:Atreus: SO! Know any good stories to pass the time?
Kratos: What kind of stories?
Atreus: don't know.. Mother always had stories. Weren't you told any when you were a boy?
Kratos: There was a man knew a long ago... His stories were brief and purposeful.
Atreus: Sounds.. fun? Do you remember any?
Kratos: Hm... there was one that concerned a hare and a tortoise.
Atreus: Like the Witch's house?
Kratos: Unlikely.
Atreus: So what happens?
Kratos: They wager on a race between them. The hare is too confident of victory and foolish, while the tortoise is steady and disciplined. The tortoise wins.
Atreus: You... haven't told a lot of stories, have you.
You can read all of them here besides one that is a heavy story spoiler and wasn't included which I appreciate: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...ranscribed

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Watching a stream of God of War (2018) and I forgot how good so much of the dialogue in the game is. My favourite though is any of the stories Kratos tells while in the boat, especially the first one where he tells the tale of the hare and the tortoise:

Quote:Atreus: SO! Know any good stories to pass the time?
Kratos: What kind of stories?
Atreus: don't know.. Mother always had stories. Weren't you told any when you were a boy?
Kratos: There was a man knew a long ago... His stories were brief and purposeful.
Atreus: Sounds.. fun? Do you remember any?
Kratos: Hm... there was one that concerned a hare and a tortoise.
Atreus: Like the Witch's house?
Kratos: Unlikely.
Atreus: So what happens?
Kratos: They wager on a race between them. The hare is too confident of victory and foolish, while the tortoise is steady and disciplined. The tortoise wins.
Atreus: You... haven't told a lot of stories, have you.
You can read all of them here besides one that is a heavy story spoiler and wasn't included which I appreciate: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...ranscribed
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just had this moment from Uncharted 1 come to mind and couldn't resist sharing it. Tongue

Quote:Eddy Raja: Going somewhere?
Nathan Drake: Hey, Eddy!
Eddy Raja: Did you really think you could escape from moi?
Nathan Drake: Oh, no, Just giving the young lady the ten dollar tour.
Eddy Raja: Shut it! I bet you're working for them, too.
Nathan Drake: What?
Eddy Raja: You thought you could set me up and keep everything for yourselves, hm?
Nathan Drake: Get down!
*Eddy shoots out the windshield of the jeep*
Elena Fisher: Damn it! This guy's crazy!!
Nathan Drake: Eddy, take it easy buddy!
Eddy Raja: Well, you're out of luck now, and out of road.
Eddy Raja: Now. *cocks shotgun* Give me that map.
Nathan Drake: Hold on.
Nathan Drake: All right, you got me, fair and square.
Eddy Raja: Hey, don't move!
Nathan Drake: Relax, Eddy, just getting the map, like you asked.
Nathan Drake: I said, hold on.
Elena Fisher: I am.
Eddy Raja: Well, hand it over.
Nathan Drake: Well now, you told me not to move. Looks like you're gonna have to come get it.
Overall my favourite cutscene from that entire game I think and probably one of the best segments of dialogue that illustrates the general vibe of Drake compared to the antagonists of this series. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just had this moment from Uncharted 1 come to mind and couldn't resist sharing it. Tongue

Quote:Eddy Raja: Going somewhere?
Nathan Drake: Hey, Eddy!
Eddy Raja: Did you really think you could escape from moi?
Nathan Drake: Oh, no, Just giving the young lady the ten dollar tour.
Eddy Raja: Shut it! I bet you're working for them, too.
Nathan Drake: What?
Eddy Raja: You thought you could set me up and keep everything for yourselves, hm?
Nathan Drake: Get down!
*Eddy shoots out the windshield of the jeep*
Elena Fisher: Damn it! This guy's crazy!!
Nathan Drake: Eddy, take it easy buddy!
Eddy Raja: Well, you're out of luck now, and out of road.
Eddy Raja: Now. *cocks shotgun* Give me that map.
Nathan Drake: Hold on.
Nathan Drake: All right, you got me, fair and square.
Eddy Raja: Hey, don't move!
Nathan Drake: Relax, Eddy, just getting the map, like you asked.
Nathan Drake: I said, hold on.
Elena Fisher: I am.
Eddy Raja: Well, hand it over.
Nathan Drake: Well now, you told me not to move. Looks like you're gonna have to come get it.
Overall my favourite cutscene from that entire game I think and probably one of the best segments of dialogue that illustrates the general vibe of Drake compared to the antagonists of this series. Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Was reading a thread on Reddit asking people what their favorite lines in games are and got reminded of some that I really liked at the time I heard them but forgot about, so I'm gonna share some here before I forget them again. XD

Kratos, God of War 2018 Wrote:
Death can have me, when it has earned me.
Ghost of Tsushima Wrote:
"You have no honor."

"And you are a slave to it!"
Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2 Wrote:
Fuck you, and fuck your marker!

I love that the person who shared the Ghost of Tsushima quote mentioned that those two lines perfectly encapsulate the core theme of that entire games story because I had never looked back on that line after the first time I heard it to realize that it does that.
I might be mistaken but I think the game doesn't actually change anything about the story/characters based on what you choose to do during regular gameplay, with dishonorable actions only coming up when they are performed canonically within a cutscene. It might've been interesting to make the outcome of things across the final missions of the game be determined by how you were acting during the entire game similar to the Honor system in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Was reading a thread on Reddit asking people what their favorite lines in games are and got reminded of some that I really liked at the time I heard them but forgot about, so I'm gonna share some here before I forget them again. XD

Kratos, God of War 2018 Wrote:
Death can have me, when it has earned me.
Ghost of Tsushima Wrote:
"You have no honor."

"And you are a slave to it!"
Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2 Wrote:
Fuck you, and fuck your marker!

I love that the person who shared the Ghost of Tsushima quote mentioned that those two lines perfectly encapsulate the core theme of that entire games story because I had never looked back on that line after the first time I heard it to realize that it does that.
I might be mistaken but I think the game doesn't actually change anything about the story/characters based on what you choose to do during regular gameplay, with dishonorable actions only coming up when they are performed canonically within a cutscene. It might've been interesting to make the outcome of things across the final missions of the game be determined by how you were acting during the entire game similar to the Honor system in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Bioware has made MANY quotable lines through their games, from the poignant to the meme-worthy ("Go for the eyes, Boo!"). But one of my favorites is in Mass Effect 2. It's a quote by Garrus after completing a specific path of his Loyalty Mission. 

Garrus Vakarian Wrote:
It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray.

There are MANY reasons why Garrus is among the best characters in that series, and I say this one line is one of them. It just...it's not just that it's such a good line; if you know who Garrus is, the quote means so much more. There's no way I could do it justice.

Bioware has some of the best character writers in the business. They really do.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Bioware has made MANY quotable lines through their games, from the poignant to the meme-worthy ("Go for the eyes, Boo!"). But one of my favorites is in Mass Effect 2. It's a quote by Garrus after completing a specific path of his Loyalty Mission. 

Garrus Vakarian Wrote:
It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray.

There are MANY reasons why Garrus is among the best characters in that series, and I say this one line is one of them. It just...it's not just that it's such a good line; if you know who Garrus is, the quote means so much more. There's no way I could do it justice.

Bioware has some of the best character writers in the business. They really do.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Seeing you mention Mass Effect @Maniakkid25 reminds me I saw this line yesterday in the thread that reminded me of the quotes I shared which without even hearing it or even knowing who says it and why, I think goes incredibly hard:

Mass Effect Wrote:
"Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer."

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Seeing you mention Mass Effect @Maniakkid25 reminds me I saw this line yesterday in the thread that reminded me of the quotes I shared which without even hearing it or even knowing who says it and why, I think goes incredibly hard:

Mass Effect Wrote:
"Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer."
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
That looks like a Javik quote... *quick google search* Yup, that's Javik. Javik is spoilers spoilers spoilers, so I won't go into detail as to why he would be saying something like that, but let's just say he has a very good reason to go hard like that.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
That looks like a Javik quote... *quick google search* Yup, that's Javik. Javik is spoilers spoilers spoilers, so I won't go into detail as to why he would be saying something like that, but let's just say he has a very good reason to go hard like that.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Eh, you can always put it in spoiler tags for me. It's highly unlikely I will play Mass Effect myself since I tried the demo of ME3 before it came out and it just wasn't my type of game. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Eh, you can always put it in spoiler tags for me. It's highly unlikely I will play Mass Effect myself since I tried the demo of ME3 before it came out and it just wasn't my type of game. Tongue
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
...You do not yet know what you wrought.

*Deep breath*

*pants heavily* I think that covers it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
...You do not yet know what you wrought.

*Deep breath*

*pants heavily* I think that covers it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Ah, I see. Basically an extinction level event sole survivor who knows that if everyone died again they wouldn't really give a shit if it was because you chose to remain honorable rather than take any action necessary to defeat the threat that will kill them all. Or at least that type of vibe in the event I got any part of that wrong in direct relation to Javik's character.

Since we're talking about lines that go super deep and/or have a tragic weight behind them, I decided to see if there might be any other lines from games that give a similar feeling for me. Searching around I managed to find or remember these ones that I liked:

Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3 Wrote:
You twine your life around the people you love. And when they are gone, you grow around their absence instead. It is just another way they shape you.
Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2 Wrote:
I'm afraid.
The first I just like because it's just an interesting perspective on losing loved ones that I'd never thought about before.

The second is what marks a very pivotal moment for Arthur in RDR2 where all the confidence and bravery he's been showing since the start of the game completely falls away due to the circumstances surrounding this moment. He also says this to a complete stranger who if the circumstances were different he would be acting like he had been before instead of just letting his guard down so much in this moment.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: Ah, I see. Basically an extinction level event sole survivor who knows that if everyone died again they wouldn't really give a shit if it was because you chose to remain honorable rather than take any action necessary to defeat the threat that will kill them all. Or at least that type of vibe in the event I got any part of that wrong in direct relation to Javik's character.

Since we're talking about lines that go super deep and/or have a tragic weight behind them, I decided to see if there might be any other lines from games that give a similar feeling for me. Searching around I managed to find or remember these ones that I liked:

Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3 Wrote:
You twine your life around the people you love. And when they are gone, you grow around their absence instead. It is just another way they shape you.
Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2 Wrote:
I'm afraid.
The first I just like because it's just an interesting perspective on losing loved ones that I'd never thought about before.

The second is what marks a very pivotal moment for Arthur in RDR2 where all the confidence and bravery he's been showing since the start of the game completely falls away due to the circumstances surrounding this moment. He also says this to a complete stranger who if the circumstances were different he would be acting like he had been before instead of just letting his guard down so much in this moment.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
This is the first one that comes to mind for me:

GLaDOS Wrote:
Perfect. Please move quickly to the chamber-lock, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the button are not part of this test.

One of our first introductions to GLaDOS's deadpan humour... I love how robotic both the line itself and its delivery are Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
This is the first one that comes to mind for me:

GLaDOS Wrote:
Perfect. Please move quickly to the chamber-lock, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the button are not part of this test.

One of our first introductions to GLaDOS's deadpan humour... I love how robotic both the line itself and its delivery are Tongue .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,103 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 562 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 87 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 721 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 298 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng