Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm not expecting a deep plot anyway, it's already fine they've avoided the typical Mario plot of Peach getting kidnapped immediately which I would've sighed at if it were in the trailers. Apparently audience reviews are far higher than critics', I've only had a quick look only through a video by Hungrybox and won't look at or watch anything else. Hbox mentioned there being credit scenes so knew then they'd likely be for a sequel set-up. Anyway when I'm finally sitting down to watch this, yeah, I'm really not looking forward to the DK scenes.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm not expecting a deep plot anyway, it's already fine they've avoided the typical Mario plot of Peach getting kidnapped immediately which I would've sighed at if it were in the trailers. Apparently audience reviews are far higher than critics', I've only had a quick look only through a video by Hungrybox and won't look at or watch anything else. Hbox mentioned there being credit scenes so knew then they'd likely be for a sequel set-up. Anyway when I'm finally sitting down to watch this, yeah, I'm really not looking forward to the DK scenes.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Dragon Lord: I don't know if I've ever seen anything with Rogen in it or not and feel like I don't know much about him in general other than he exists. I haven't seen any comments yet anywhere about any of the voice acting either except that Pratt isn't as egregious as everyone expected, but not due to anyone else actually being a problem.

@Mr EliteL: It wouldn't surprise me if audiences are all over this compared to critics, especially since @ShiraNoMai and I were planning to see the movie today but literally every showing is sold out for today. While I was waiting in the theater lobby for her while she used the bathroom every single person I saw buy a ticket was buying Mario. We managed to get seats for a really early showing tomorrow morning so we're going to see it then. My expectations is for it to be like the Uncharted movie; nothing amazing but a fun enough experience to just enjoy it for what it is as one of those simple popcorn flicks. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Dragon Lord: I don't know if I've ever seen anything with Rogen in it or not and feel like I don't know much about him in general other than he exists. I haven't seen any comments yet anywhere about any of the voice acting either except that Pratt isn't as egregious as everyone expected, but not due to anyone else actually being a problem.

@Mr EliteL: It wouldn't surprise me if audiences are all over this compared to critics, especially since @ShiraNoMai and I were planning to see the movie today but literally every showing is sold out for today. While I was waiting in the theater lobby for her while she used the bathroom every single person I saw buy a ticket was buying Mario. We managed to get seats for a really early showing tomorrow morning so we're going to see it then. My expectations is for it to be like the Uncharted movie; nothing amazing but a fun enough experience to just enjoy it for what it is as one of those simple popcorn flicks. Tongue
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah holy shit, I severely underestimated the popularity behind the film. I was convinced it was going to be more niche, but I suppose I underestimated the sheer marketing capabilities behind Illumination coupled with the beloved Nintendo IP.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah holy shit, I severely underestimated the popularity behind the film. I was convinced it was going to be more niche, but I suppose I underestimated the sheer marketing capabilities behind Illumination coupled with the beloved Nintendo IP.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So just finished the movie and overall I actually liked it a lot. The plot is definitely just there to give a reason for anything happening but if you're looking to just have an enjoyable experience that feels like a good love letter to Mario I'd certainly recommend watching this.

• Voice acting across the board is totally fine, including DK. Any lines DK says that feel obnoxious within trailers or clips lack the context that he says those lines during a moment of total showboating and are meant to make DK come off as a confident dick against Mario.
  • I saw some complaints that the animation for this movie was bad and I strongly disagree. That's not to say it's mind blowing like a Pixar movie or something but it isn't bad.
  • Far too much reliance on slow motion shots, especially of someone jumping over something and using a top down angle for it. I think every time Mario does it he remarks "mamma mia" which got old very quickly.
  • Pacing is odd with the movie jumping between characters in a pattern very frequently. It basically goes Mario, Luigi, Bowser with a swap every 10 minutes maybe. Not for the whole movie mind you but there are long stretches of jumping about, particularly when Peach and Mario are making their way to the Kong's.
  • References are integrated very well I think, including Rainbow Road. I was expecting at least that to feel very forced in but there was at least some established basis for its inclusion by the time it shows up.
Overall I felt like the movie came together by coming up with set pieces and moments and then building the rest of the movie around connecting all that stuff together. Almost like it wanted to try and be some greatest hits montage of Mario stuff.

Finding it hard to remember every little thing about the movie to write it all here right now so if anyone has a specific question they want to ask for my thoughts about then go ahead. ^_^

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So just finished the movie and overall I actually liked it a lot. The plot is definitely just there to give a reason for anything happening but if you're looking to just have an enjoyable experience that feels like a good love letter to Mario I'd certainly recommend watching this.

• Voice acting across the board is totally fine, including DK. Any lines DK says that feel obnoxious within trailers or clips lack the context that he says those lines during a moment of total showboating and are meant to make DK come off as a confident dick against Mario.
  • I saw some complaints that the animation for this movie was bad and I strongly disagree. That's not to say it's mind blowing like a Pixar movie or something but it isn't bad.
  • Far too much reliance on slow motion shots, especially of someone jumping over something and using a top down angle for it. I think every time Mario does it he remarks "mamma mia" which got old very quickly.
  • Pacing is odd with the movie jumping between characters in a pattern very frequently. It basically goes Mario, Luigi, Bowser with a swap every 10 minutes maybe. Not for the whole movie mind you but there are long stretches of jumping about, particularly when Peach and Mario are making their way to the Kong's.
  • References are integrated very well I think, including Rainbow Road. I was expecting at least that to feel very forced in but there was at least some established basis for its inclusion by the time it shows up.
Overall I felt like the movie came together by coming up with set pieces and moments and then building the rest of the movie around connecting all that stuff together. Almost like it wanted to try and be some greatest hits montage of Mario stuff.

Finding it hard to remember every little thing about the movie to write it all here right now so if anyone has a specific question they want to ask for my thoughts about then go ahead. ^_^
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Watching the film earlier this evening with my brother, wife and two of her family. I started getting thoughts of not ending up liking what I'm about to see, but I decided to stop that and just go in mind completely open. Perhaps I'll see some nit-picks in a second viewing, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it all, even the voice acting. Favourite part was the Mario Kart section really, kinda knew that would be despite seeing some of it in trailers. Missed the end post-credit scene but we had a table booked for food soon after, but fine really, know what it was (not before I watched, just now).
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Watching the film earlier this evening with my brother, wife and two of her family. I started getting thoughts of not ending up liking what I'm about to see, but I decided to stop that and just go in mind completely open. Perhaps I'll see some nit-picks in a second viewing, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it all, even the voice acting. Favourite part was the Mario Kart section really, kinda knew that would be despite seeing some of it in trailers. Missed the end post-credit scene but we had a table booked for food soon after, but fine really, know what it was (not before I watched, just now).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The Mario Kart segment is probably my favourite in the movie too. I love how it managed to reference the kart choice menu in a way that just felt right, and Toad grabbing himself the biggest vehicle possible just made me think of you @Mr EliteL and the monster truck gag you started up way back in that one wedding RP thread on the EGF board in like, 2007. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The Mario Kart segment is probably my favourite in the movie too. I love how it managed to reference the kart choice menu in a way that just felt right, and Toad grabbing himself the biggest vehicle possible just made me think of you @Mr EliteL and the monster truck gag you started up way back in that one wedding RP thread on the EGF board in like, 2007. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
New Super Mario Bros. Movie In Production, Due in April 2026

To kick off their MAR10 day celebrations, Shigeru Miyamoto announced that they're once again working with Illumination to bring "a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros," and according to Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri will release on April 3rd, 2026. More details will come in the future, but of course are being kept hard under wraps.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
New Super Mario Bros. Movie In Production, Due in April 2026

To kick off their MAR10 day celebrations, Shigeru Miyamoto announced that they're once again working with Illumination to bring "a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros," and according to Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri will release on April 3rd, 2026. More details will come in the future, but of course are being kept hard under wraps.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Nintendo Wrote:
Water is wet.
Easily the most pointless announcement made for MAR10 Day yesterday and I was worried that was all that video was going to be for until the release dates for TTYD and LM2 were shown after. We all knew they'd make a sequel so I'd rather they just wait until there's something to actually share. I mean I guess we got a date for it but I'd rather know something about the actual movie that I can think about or get interested over.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Nintendo Wrote:
Water is wet.
Easily the most pointless announcement made for MAR10 Day yesterday and I was worried that was all that video was going to be for until the release dates for TTYD and LM2 were shown after. We all knew they'd make a sequel so I'd rather they just wait until there's something to actually share. I mean I guess we got a date for it but I'd rather know something about the actual movie that I can think about or get interested over.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Deep down I kinda wanted the first movie to be the only movie really, but yeah knew there'd be a sequel. As M&L returned to their world will that be featured again or will it take place in the Mushroom Kingdom world and will they expand it further beyond the islands we saw there? They'll have to visit Yoshi's Island....they just have to or at least meet a Yoshi that will join them. Also will Bowser magically return to normal after being shrunk and captured, like he usually does when something bad happens to him at the end of a Mario game? Perhaps a different villain too. Plenty of time to see what they'll show between now and release.

Cool of the dates of the games though.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Deep down I kinda wanted the first movie to be the only movie really, but yeah knew there'd be a sequel. As M&L returned to their world will that be featured again or will it take place in the Mushroom Kingdom world and will they expand it further beyond the islands we saw there? They'll have to visit Yoshi's Island....they just have to or at least meet a Yoshi that will join them. Also will Bowser magically return to normal after being shrunk and captured, like he usually does when something bad happens to him at the end of a Mario game? Perhaps a different villain too. Plenty of time to see what they'll show between now and release.

Cool of the dates of the games though.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt it'll have much in the real world as there's nothing to tell within it nor does it make sense to expand it. At best it'll show up briefly at the start and that'll be it, and then it'll go to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Not sure what has this in my mind, but my mind keeps thinking Rosalina was hinted at in the movie even after looking up what the actual post-credits scene was and being reminded of the Yoshi egg. Actually, that egg is in the real world at the end of the movie so I guess maybe the movie will have to spend some time in the real world in order to follow up on that.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt it'll have much in the real world as there's nothing to tell within it nor does it make sense to expand it. At best it'll show up briefly at the start and that'll be it, and then it'll go to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Not sure what has this in my mind, but my mind keeps thinking Rosalina was hinted at in the movie even after looking up what the actual post-credits scene was and being reminded of the Yoshi egg. Actually, that egg is in the real world at the end of the movie so I guess maybe the movie will have to spend some time in the real world in order to follow up on that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonic The Hedgehog (Movie Series) | Sonic 3 Logo Reveal Moonface 54 17,794 Apr 18th, 2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 22,320 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL