Fan Made Games
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Actually, you can run CC like any other ROM or even copy it onto a cartridge and play it on real hardware, no patching required.

I have dumped some 66 hours on it on my the GameBoy emulator on my PS3 and works flawlessly.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Actually, you can run CC like any other ROM or even copy it onto a cartridge and play it on real hardware, no patching required.

I have dumped some 66 hours on it on my the GameBoy emulator on my PS3 and works flawlessly.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 22nd, 2021, 04:34 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
By a cartridge do you mean an actual Gameboy cartridge?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 22nd, 2021, 04:34 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
By a cartridge do you mean an actual Gameboy cartridge?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Well, a Gameboy COMPATIBLE cartridge, yes. Flash Cartridges (so called because it uses flash memory) are a wonderful, wonderful invention for cartridge-based systems that let you load whatever games you want on it, and then have it run on original consoles. EverDrive is by far the most famous brand, but lots of companies (usually in China) make them. I have one for my 3DS, though it can't actually run 3DS games because it has a time bomb designed to brick the thing if I try to use it without custom firmware. Yay.

Speaking of ROMhacks, I'm reminded of a really, REALLY silly project from a few years back. Have you ever heard of the Chinese release of Final Fantasy VII? If you haven't, you are in for a wacky ride, because that's a Famicom game! YES, REALLY! And there does exist a patch to translate it to English, so you can play it in all its glory. And then, when you've done that, there's a ROMHack of that game to transform it into something more closely resembling its PS1 release. Fans. Are. Insane!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Well, a Gameboy COMPATIBLE cartridge, yes. Flash Cartridges (so called because it uses flash memory) are a wonderful, wonderful invention for cartridge-based systems that let you load whatever games you want on it, and then have it run on original consoles. EverDrive is by far the most famous brand, but lots of companies (usually in China) make them. I have one for my 3DS, though it can't actually run 3DS games because it has a time bomb designed to brick the thing if I try to use it without custom firmware. Yay.

Speaking of ROMhacks, I'm reminded of a really, REALLY silly project from a few years back. Have you ever heard of the Chinese release of Final Fantasy VII? If you haven't, you are in for a wacky ride, because that's a Famicom game! YES, REALLY! And there does exist a patch to translate it to English, so you can play it in all its glory. And then, when you've done that, there's a ROMHack of that game to transform it into something more closely resembling its PS1 release. Fans. Are. Insane!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,103 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 562 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 87 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 721 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 298 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng