Fan Made Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
We had this on the old board but I want to discuss the topic again hence I'm remaking the thread here. Tongue

What do you think about fan made games in general? Have you played and/or seen any that you thought were really good or had potential if they were/are still a work in progress? Should the original publisher of the game IP stop any fan games, or only in certain circumstances?

Recently, Nintendo shut down a Metroid Prime 2D fan game and a few years before that also shut down AM2R, another Metroid fan game. I don't know what the first game looked like, but I have recently seen AM2R being played on Twitch and I didn't realize it was a fan game until I asked what game was even being played.

It seems that Nintendo games are the most common for people to make fan games of, considering all the Mario rom hacks and the various Pokemon fan games that have been getting made for over a decade, while for other games the only other one I've seen with fan games that garner notable attention are Fallout related. One of them was even good enough that Bethesda straight up hired the developer of it before the fan game had even got out the door.

Am I right in thinking that fan games become more common when the original IP isn't being used well or at all by the owner, or is it a case of things like Nintendo being easy to break apart and rebuild into something else, and the same for Fallout?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
We had this on the old board but I want to discuss the topic again hence I'm remaking the thread here. Tongue

What do you think about fan made games in general? Have you played and/or seen any that you thought were really good or had potential if they were/are still a work in progress? Should the original publisher of the game IP stop any fan games, or only in certain circumstances?

Recently, Nintendo shut down a Metroid Prime 2D fan game and a few years before that also shut down AM2R, another Metroid fan game. I don't know what the first game looked like, but I have recently seen AM2R being played on Twitch and I didn't realize it was a fan game until I asked what game was even being played.

It seems that Nintendo games are the most common for people to make fan games of, considering all the Mario rom hacks and the various Pokemon fan games that have been getting made for over a decade, while for other games the only other one I've seen with fan games that garner notable attention are Fallout related. One of them was even good enough that Bethesda straight up hired the developer of it before the fan game had even got out the door.

Am I right in thinking that fan games become more common when the original IP isn't being used well or at all by the owner, or is it a case of things like Nintendo being easy to break apart and rebuild into something else, and the same for Fallout?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
well, they really become more common when tools are made to modify the original games easier. It's why they're are TONS of Super Metroid rom hacks. because there's a tool, SMILE, which makes modifying the games much easier.

Thing is, popular games have more people working on creating said tools so it ends up getting more fan games. Those that are built from other engines or from scratch, like the two Metroid ones you mentioned, take way more work but they can do things that can't be done with rom hacks because of limitations from the game itself.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
well, they really become more common when tools are made to modify the original games easier. It's why they're are TONS of Super Metroid rom hacks. because there's a tool, SMILE, which makes modifying the games much easier.

Thing is, popular games have more people working on creating said tools so it ends up getting more fan games. Those that are built from other engines or from scratch, like the two Metroid ones you mentioned, take way more work but they can do things that can't be done with rom hacks because of limitations from the game itself.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle: Good point. I find it funny to consider that Nintendo hates people using their work, and yet it seems their games are the easiest ones to make tools for so people can make their own content. ROFL

I remember there were some really promising Spyro fan games being made prior to the announcement of the Reignited Trilogy, and as far as I'm aware all of them had to get cancelled, which really sucks because they were absolutely stunning: I believe the last one is the only one that didn't entirely die; instead, the developers reskinned the game (and likely removed any levels directly referencing Spyro such as in the video linked) and are/were working on it as a new IP instead. Last I saw it it was basically Spyro in everything but name and character; everything else like the art style, gem collection, and other stuff stayed the same.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle: Good point. I find it funny to consider that Nintendo hates people using their work, and yet it seems their games are the easiest ones to make tools for so people can make their own content. ROFL

I remember there were some really promising Spyro fan games being made prior to the announcement of the Reignited Trilogy, and as far as I'm aware all of them had to get cancelled, which really sucks because they were absolutely stunning: I believe the last one is the only one that didn't entirely die; instead, the developers reskinned the game (and likely removed any levels directly referencing Spyro such as in the video linked) and are/were working on it as a new IP instead. Last I saw it it was basically Spyro in everything but name and character; everything else like the art style, gem collection, and other stuff stayed the same.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I thought Pokémon Crystal Clear was far superior (and a downright better game) that anything Nintendo or Game Freak had ever made.

It is so good that it is now rough for me to get back to any game other than Yellow.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I thought Pokémon Crystal Clear was far superior (and a downright better game) that anything Nintendo or Game Freak had ever made.

It is so good that it is now rough for me to get back to any game other than Yellow.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is that the only Pokemon fan game you've played @Nightingale?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is that the only Pokemon fan game you've played @Nightingale?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Not at all, but it WAS the first one I actually LIKED.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Not at all, but it WAS the first one I actually LIKED.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What does Crystal do different to an actual Pokemon game that makes it superior?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What does Crystal do different to an actual Pokemon game that makes it superior?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Sep 17th, 2021, 11:32 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It is open-world.

It lets you re-challenge gyms.

The difficulty spikes as you level up.

All Pokémon are catchable.

Certain items are only available after you have beaten gyms.

Everything is buyable, provided you have enough badges.

There is free travel from all points of the map.

Safari Zone has no time limit and lets you use your own equipment.

It lets you choose which music tracks play for each action.

Nurse Joy doesn't talk to you and you face AWAY from her once you have been healed.

It is crazy customizable.

Pokémon follow you.

There is one dude at the malls on both Celadon and Goldenrod that trades back with you so you can evolve your trade-exclusive Pokémon.

And a BIG ETC.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Sep 17th, 2021, 11:32 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It is open-world.

It lets you re-challenge gyms.

The difficulty spikes as you level up.

All Pokémon are catchable.

Certain items are only available after you have beaten gyms.

Everything is buyable, provided you have enough badges.

There is free travel from all points of the map.

Safari Zone has no time limit and lets you use your own equipment.

It lets you choose which music tracks play for each action.

Nurse Joy doesn't talk to you and you face AWAY from her once you have been healed.

It is crazy customizable.

Pokémon follow you.

There is one dude at the malls on both Celadon and Goldenrod that trades back with you so you can evolve your trade-exclusive Pokémon.

And a BIG ETC.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
@Nightingale

This sounds like the one for me! I haven't been able to get back into pokemon since Diamond but all the perks of that sounds way too good to pass up. is it PC or just a romhack?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
@Nightingale

This sounds like the one for me! I haven't been able to get back into pokemon since Diamond but all the perks of that sounds way too good to pass up. is it PC or just a romhack?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
It is a ROMHack and was also what got me back into series after the royal disappointment that was Bland and What Tongue
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
It is a ROMHack and was also what got me back into series after the royal disappointment that was Bland and What Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Wait, ROM hacks aren't just a term for a fan made game that runs on the OG hardware and PC? Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Wait, ROM hacks aren't just a term for a fan made game that runs on the OG hardware and PC? Unsure
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Monocle is wondering if the game is an executable for PCs, or a ROMhack of the Crystal ROM that can run on an emulator regardless of hardware (PC, phones, etc). Smile ROMhacks are basically patches for the original base ROM (the original game executable).
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Monocle is wondering if the game is an executable for PCs, or a ROMhack of the Crystal ROM that can run on an emulator regardless of hardware (PC, phones, etc). Smile ROMhacks are basically patches for the original base ROM (the original game executable).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So does a ROMhack require you have the original game to then run the patch on it? Like without base Crystal, you can't run Crystal Clear? Just still trying to wrap my head around how it all works now because I didn't even know there were differences. XD

I've also never seen this before, but there's a Smash fan game (?) that's based on Smash 64 and it got a large update today:

I assume the reason it's based on 64 is because it's going to be significantly easier to make models and stages for it due to the simpler visuals, since I've never heard Smash 64 being spoken about for its gameplay. Normally that goes to Melee or something.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So does a ROMhack require you have the original game to then run the patch on it? Like without base Crystal, you can't run Crystal Clear? Just still trying to wrap my head around how it all works now because I didn't even know there were differences. XD

I've also never seen this before, but there's a Smash fan game (?) that's based on Smash 64 and it got a large update today:

I assume the reason it's based on 64 is because it's going to be significantly easier to make models and stages for it due to the simpler visuals, since I've never heard Smash 64 being spoken about for its gameplay. Normally that goes to Melee or something.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah. A romhack, like a mod, needs the base game to be modified, unlike fan games made from scratch using whatever engine they choose as a, normally, pc program. Some of those games can and have been ported like AM2R to Vita and Switch.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah. A romhack, like a mod, needs the base game to be modified, unlike fan games made from scratch using whatever engine they choose as a, normally, pc program. Some of those games can and have been ported like AM2R to Vita and Switch.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I never knew that. I always thought every ROMhack I saw was independent of the base game because it's not like a mod that changes things within the base game.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I never knew that. I always thought every ROMhack I saw was independent of the base game because it's not like a mod that changes things within the base game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,109 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 90 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 724 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 300 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng