Bad Advice for First Time Players
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,659
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
A poor innocent little n00b has picked up a game and knows nothing about the gameplay. Why not "help" them out by giving them some bad advice? Whistle

Super Mario Bros.
If you're playing as regular sized Mario, you'll automatically kick Goombas if you're holding down the run button instead of having to jump on them.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,659 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
A poor innocent little n00b has picked up a game and knows nothing about the gameplay. Why not "help" them out by giving them some bad advice? Whistle

Super Mario Bros.
If you're playing as regular sized Mario, you'll automatically kick Goombas if you're holding down the run button instead of having to jump on them.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
If you see a place to jump, don't he'll magically fly over.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
If you see a place to jump, don't he'll magically fly over.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Terraria
If you're struggling with the Plantera boss fight, don't start until it's nighttime. Doing this allows you to bring it to the surface where it'll have less terrain to attach to, but it won't get buffed because there's no sunlight for it to photosynthesize with. Whistle

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Terraria
If you're struggling with the Plantera boss fight, don't start until it's nighttime. Doing this allows you to bring it to the surface where it'll have less terrain to attach to, but it won't get buffed because there's no sunlight for it to photosynthesize with. Whistle
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
FTL: Faster than Light

There's no need to buy or upgrade weapons: you can just stay out of all the fights!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
FTL: Faster than Light

There's no need to buy or upgrade weapons: you can just stay out of all the fights!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yoshi's Island

Oh did you miss that collectible in that level you're on? Don't worry, you can always replay the level and just acquire the one thing you missed without having to worry about collecting everything else again. Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yoshi's Island

Oh did you miss that collectible in that level you're on? Don't worry, you can always replay the level and just acquire the one thing you missed without having to worry about collecting everything else again. Smile
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Dragon Cafe

Oh it's fine you can let the others who help to run the cafe slack, it's fine. Just keep getting ingredients.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Dragon Cafe

Oh it's fine you can let the others who help to run the cafe slack, it's fine. Just keep getting ingredients.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Dark Souls

Don't ever roll. Just use a shield to block everything.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Dark Souls

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 23rd, 2024, 07:02 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Dark Souls

I'd wonder if it's possible to beat all the FromSoft games without rolling/dodging, but I'm sure some lunatic has already tried such a challenge and succeeded at it. LOL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Dark Souls

I'd wonder if it's possible to beat all the FromSoft games without rolling/dodging, but I'm sure some lunatic has already tried such a challenge and succeeded at it. LOL
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jan 24th, 2024, 11:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Dark Souls

It's definitely possible for the Dark Souls games, but it's just not a very smart way to play. You lose way more stamina by blocking a boss's attack chain than you do just rolling it and you can't get your own attacks in nearly as much. Especially in Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring where bosses have much longer attack chains. Bloodborne is obviously impossible for this, since you don't get the only shield in the game until after the first required boss, and even then it doesn't really block much and you'll just die trying to use it. Can you even block in Sekiro since that game is all about parrying? Thinking on it, would it even be possible to block the entirety of Melania's Water Fowl Dance in Elden Ring? Even with max stamina and the highest stability shield, I think the attack is just too long and does too much damage for you to be able to block through it. Maybe it is.

Anyways, it's just generally always better to learn how to roll through attacks instead of relying on a shield. You'll have more stamina for counter attacking more often and you'll always be able to put yourself in a better position compared to blocking, which will usually push you back away from the boss.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jan 24th, 2024, 11:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Dark Souls

It's definitely possible for the Dark Souls games, but it's just not a very smart way to play. You lose way more stamina by blocking a boss's attack chain than you do just rolling it and you can't get your own attacks in nearly as much. Especially in Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring where bosses have much longer attack chains. Bloodborne is obviously impossible for this, since you don't get the only shield in the game until after the first required boss, and even then it doesn't really block much and you'll just die trying to use it. Can you even block in Sekiro since that game is all about parrying? Thinking on it, would it even be possible to block the entirety of Melania's Water Fowl Dance in Elden Ring? Even with max stamina and the highest stability shield, I think the attack is just too long and does too much damage for you to be able to block through it. Maybe it is.

Anyways, it's just generally always better to learn how to roll through attacks instead of relying on a shield. You'll have more stamina for counter attacking more often and you'll always be able to put yourself in a better position compared to blocking, which will usually push you back away from the boss.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 25th, 2024, 04:09 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Can you even block in Sekiro since that game is all about parrying? Thinking on it, would it even be possible to block the entirety of Melania's Water Fowl Dance in Elden Ring? Even with max stamina and the highest stability shield, I think the attack is just too long and does too much damage for you to be able to block through it. Maybe it is.
Excluding attacks that work similar to the fury attacks in Lies of P, you can just block attacks in Sekiro except that it will deal massive posture damage to you, and if the posture bar fills entirely you get staggered and become open to attack. Blocking does have a use though in that doing it quickly reduces your posture meter so even if you parry everything there's still a need to hold the same button down to block instead of parry. I forget if LoP was the same with its stagger system. Hmm
I think the best I've seen to block Malenia's Waterfowl is dodging the start and then blocking the rest of it. So long as you have the stamina to endure it though you could theoretically block the entire attack but at the cost of her healing off of landing all those hits.

Tomb Raider III
Go to Nevada last when you reach the point where the game gives you the choice of what set of levels to do next.
Doing this first is the actual way to do it because you have all your weapons removed in the second level of the Nevada section of the game, and you do not get them back except the pistols so you could potentially lose access to almost every gun in the game for the rest of your playthrough.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 25th, 2024, 04:09 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Can you even block in Sekiro since that game is all about parrying? Thinking on it, would it even be possible to block the entirety of Melania's Water Fowl Dance in Elden Ring? Even with max stamina and the highest stability shield, I think the attack is just too long and does too much damage for you to be able to block through it. Maybe it is.
Excluding attacks that work similar to the fury attacks in Lies of P, you can just block attacks in Sekiro except that it will deal massive posture damage to you, and if the posture bar fills entirely you get staggered and become open to attack. Blocking does have a use though in that doing it quickly reduces your posture meter so even if you parry everything there's still a need to hold the same button down to block instead of parry. I forget if LoP was the same with its stagger system. Hmm
I think the best I've seen to block Malenia's Waterfowl is dodging the start and then blocking the rest of it. So long as you have the stamina to endure it though you could theoretically block the entire attack but at the cost of her healing off of landing all those hits.

Tomb Raider III
Go to Nevada last when you reach the point where the game gives you the choice of what set of levels to do next.
Doing this first is the actual way to do it because you have all your weapons removed in the second level of the Nevada section of the game, and you do not get them back except the pistols so you could potentially lose access to almost every gun in the game for the rest of your playthrough.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Pokémon:
Be careful not to let your HP hit zero! Your Pokémon are no longer usable after that. You'll have to catch a new one and box the old dead one.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Pokémon:
Be careful not to let your HP hit zero! Your Pokémon are no longer usable after that. You'll have to catch a new one and box the old dead one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When Was The Last Time You... Moonface 36 12,696 Jul 14th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Moonface