Games That Are Good/Bad Value for Money?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
When it comes to games you've played or look at buying, how do you judge them when it comes to the value for money they gave you? For example, is there a game you paid for that gave you far more value than the price, or vice versa? Do you judge the value of a $60 platformer (or whatever other genre) against other games within its genre, or do you compare it to what $60 can get you from any game in any genre?

Off the top of my head, the two most notable games I've played that are/were worth far more than the asking price are Terraria and Minecraft. The price of the latter has gone up a lot since I got it, and that's because of the amount of updates the game has received since my initial purchase, but even if I bought it today I think I would eventually have the same feeling because in 5 years from now Minecraft is going to have considerably more content than it does now and it never costs anything. Terraria's development is (finally) finished at this point, but right now it's going for $10 and it is easily worth quadruple that, if not more.

When it comes to judging a game I'm going to buy, normally I either compare it to what other games in the same genre offer, or if I think it at least has enough content and work put into it to feel like a justified price. Most of the time when I don't think a game is worth full price is because I'm not sure if I'll like the game, or it's something like an Ubisoft game where even though they put in a lot of work, the games just don't feel like $60 titles to me for some reason. It might be because I know those games will quickly decrease in price and because Ubisoft has a track record of putting out okay games but not consistent bangers.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
When it comes to games you've played or look at buying, how do you judge them when it comes to the value for money they gave you? For example, is there a game you paid for that gave you far more value than the price, or vice versa? Do you judge the value of a $60 platformer (or whatever other genre) against other games within its genre, or do you compare it to what $60 can get you from any game in any genre?

Off the top of my head, the two most notable games I've played that are/were worth far more than the asking price are Terraria and Minecraft. The price of the latter has gone up a lot since I got it, and that's because of the amount of updates the game has received since my initial purchase, but even if I bought it today I think I would eventually have the same feeling because in 5 years from now Minecraft is going to have considerably more content than it does now and it never costs anything. Terraria's development is (finally) finished at this point, but right now it's going for $10 and it is easily worth quadruple that, if not more.

When it comes to judging a game I'm going to buy, normally I either compare it to what other games in the same genre offer, or if I think it at least has enough content and work put into it to feel like a justified price. Most of the time when I don't think a game is worth full price is because I'm not sure if I'll like the game, or it's something like an Ubisoft game where even though they put in a lot of work, the games just don't feel like $60 titles to me for some reason. It might be because I know those games will quickly decrease in price and because Ubisoft has a track record of putting out okay games but not consistent bangers.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If the game respects my time and really sells me on what they set out to do, I'll feel every cent put towards that purchase.

I think the biggest offenders to this are companies that tell devs "hey do the bare minimum so we can repackage and sell for full price". It's not the devs fault it came out that way, but the head honchos have deemed it to be ideal and will more than likely make that money they sought out anyway. That's just disrespectful. Suppose the FIFA 2022 game this year is a good example of that Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If the game respects my time and really sells me on what they set out to do, I'll feel every cent put towards that purchase.

I think the biggest offenders to this are companies that tell devs "hey do the bare minimum so we can repackage and sell for full price". It's not the devs fault it came out that way, but the head honchos have deemed it to be ideal and will more than likely make that money they sought out anyway. That's just disrespectful. Suppose the FIFA 2022 game this year is a good example of that Errm
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I think the best value for money I've ever got from a game was probably from Crusader Kings II. I bought it on sale for £8.74, and so far I've logged 978 hours on it. Admittedly, I've since spent close to £100 on DLCs/expansions - but, even with all of that, I think still represents good value for money, given the sheer amount of time I've spent playing it.

It is possible that Railroad Tycoon II, Civilization V and Minecraft have given me better value for money in terms of "amount of money spent per hour played". However, the first two were birthday presents (which don't really count because I didn't spend anything on them), and the last one doesn't have my hours logged anywhere.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I think the best value for money I've ever got from a game was probably from Crusader Kings II. I bought it on sale for £8.74, and so far I've logged 978 hours on it. Admittedly, I've since spent close to £100 on DLCs/expansions - but, even with all of that, I think still represents good value for money, given the sheer amount of time I've spent playing it.

It is possible that Railroad Tycoon II, Civilization V and Minecraft have given me better value for money in terms of "amount of money spent per hour played". However, the first two were birthday presents (which don't really count because I didn't spend anything on them), and the last one doesn't have my hours logged anywhere.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Deus Ex retails for about $10 on Steam and I have beaten it around 8 times now, even thought the overall experience lasts 25-30 hours and there are are multiple endings and branching paths to explore. That's STUPIDLY GOOD VALUE.

I paid around $500 for a sealed copy of The Last of Us and still play it, after unlocking everything on every difficulty. To put it on perspective, a *new* game would cost me about triple.

Minecraft... don't remember the pricetag, but I have been working on my city since 2018.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Deus Ex retails for about $10 on Steam and I have beaten it around 8 times now, even thought the overall experience lasts 25-30 hours and there are are multiple endings and branching paths to explore. That's STUPIDLY GOOD VALUE.

I paid around $500 for a sealed copy of The Last of Us and still play it, after unlocking everything on every difficulty. To put it on perspective, a *new* game would cost me about triple.

Minecraft... don't remember the pricetag, but I have been working on my city since 2018.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 4th, 2021, 02:58 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Please, please tell me that $500 is a typo. Shock

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Oct 4th, 2021, 03:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It ain't.

$500 Argentine Pesos equal to about $4 US Dollars.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

It ain't.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 4th, 2021, 04:40 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

It ain't.

Today I learned that America and Australia are not the only two countries that use the $ sign for their currency. I thought you had spent $500 USD on the game. ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 4th, 2021, 04:40 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

It ain't.

Today I learned that America and Australia are not the only two countries that use the $ sign for their currency. I thought you had spent $500 USD on the game. ROFL
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Yeah... I'm not that thick XD
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Yeah... I'm not that thick XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So to name a game that I got that was actually not good value for money, it would be Tetris Effect. Sure, the game is absolutely stunning to look at, but I started the Journey mode (the main mode of the game) at 10:45pm and it was entirely finished by 12:13am. The game cost me about $30, and it just didn't last very long for that price. Especially a game like Tetris which should be easy to make modes and such for, but the game was so focused on pretty visuals that it was basically quality over quantity. But even though the quality was very good, the length makes it only worth a rental. Eh

It actually makes me think of getting those plates of expensive food but you get the worlds tiniest portion. Yes, it's very good but I'd rather get something a little less quality in favour of more quantity. This game is one of the rare examples I've encountered of quality >> quantity being too much.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So to name a game that I got that was actually not good value for money, it would be Tetris Effect. Sure, the game is absolutely stunning to look at, but I started the Journey mode (the main mode of the game) at 10:45pm and it was entirely finished by 12:13am. The game cost me about $30, and it just didn't last very long for that price. Especially a game like Tetris which should be easy to make modes and such for, but the game was so focused on pretty visuals that it was basically quality over quantity. But even though the quality was very good, the length makes it only worth a rental. Eh

It actually makes me think of getting those plates of expensive food but you get the worlds tiniest portion. Yes, it's very good but I'd rather get something a little less quality in favour of more quantity. This game is one of the rare examples I've encountered of quality >> quantity being too much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,107 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 89 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 723 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 299 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng