Which horror franchise has the best lore, in your opinion? | Spooktober thread.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
For me, that has to be Resident Evil.

I have certainly PLAYED better, but I have never READ better. I could spend hours reading the Wiki (and often have) in search of even the tiniest of details and still find a pretty rich experience that always leaves me hungry for more.

What about you?
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
For me, that has to be Resident Evil.

I have certainly PLAYED better, but I have never READ better. I could spend hours reading the Wiki (and often have) in search of even the tiniest of details and still find a pretty rich experience that always leaves me hungry for more.

What about you?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've mentioned enjoying the lore pieces in RE2 Remake and TLOU before, but for what horror franchise has the best overall lore for me, I think maybe it'd be Dead Space? I've read a lot about those games, but I can imagine Resident Evil having really good stuff to read considering the sheer amount of viruses and experiments and such.

If it wasn't just fan written stuff and actually content from the game based on it, SCP: Containment Breach could have good stuff but it's fan written and a lot of it gets repetitive or just unimaginative.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've mentioned enjoying the lore pieces in RE2 Remake and TLOU before, but for what horror franchise has the best overall lore for me, I think maybe it'd be Dead Space? I've read a lot about those games, but I can imagine Resident Evil having really good stuff to read considering the sheer amount of viruses and experiments and such.

If it wasn't just fan written stuff and actually content from the game based on it, SCP: Containment Breach could have good stuff but it's fan written and a lot of it gets repetitive or just unimaginative.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can A Horror Game Remain Scary? Moonface 5 493 Nov 11th, 2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Lore and World Building Moonface 16 7,597 Apr 6th, 2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  What game or franchise would you have liked to see released on a retro system? Nightingale 1 2,970 Sep 28th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: WR91