Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The song is very definitely about America, specifically the Second Gulf War (the Bush Jr. lead invasion that toppled Saddam). The name of it literally stands for "Bring Your Own Bombs". The band has been well-known to be critical of America and its decisions both foreign and domestic. "Spiders" is about how the government and media controls our thoughts, "Prison Song" is about mass incarceration and the CIA, and it does NOT take a lot of digging to find this out. It would probably be easier to list which of their songs AREN'T protest songs.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The song is very definitely about America, specifically the Second Gulf War (the Bush Jr. lead invasion that toppled Saddam). The name of it literally stands for "Bring Your Own Bombs". The band has been well-known to be critical of America and its decisions both foreign and domestic. "Spiders" is about how the government and media controls our thoughts, "Prison Song" is about mass incarceration and the CIA, and it does NOT take a lot of digging to find this out. It would probably be easier to list which of their songs AREN'T protest songs.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Huh. I knew their stuff was generally protesting things but never cared enough to look into it to know it read about what America does rather than what their home country does.

Had this song play the other day and remembered how much I like this silly lyric:
Fat Lip - Sum 41 Wrote:
I like songs with distortion
To drink in proportion
The doctor said my mom should've had an abortion
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Huh. I knew their stuff was generally protesting things but never cared enough to look into it to know it read about what America does rather than what their home country does.

Had this song play the other day and remembered how much I like this silly lyric:
Fat Lip - Sum 41 Wrote:
I like songs with distortion
To drink in proportion
The doctor said my mom should've had an abortion
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I'm actually a big fan of the opening line of that particular song, myself.

Fat Lip -- Sum 41 Wrote:
Stormin' through the party like my name was El Niño
When I'm hangin' out drinkin' in the back of an El Camino
Been listening to Money Store (the album by Death Grips), and goddamn does MC Ride have some lines! The problem is a lot of them are graphic and explicit, and I'm not talking about the swears. Swearing in a Death Grips song is like blood in a Mortal Kombat game: after a while, you barely even notice. See, a lot of his lyrics revolve around paranoia, drug use, violent and sexual imagery, mental illness, self-injury and all the good makings of a moral watchdog panic. So, with great trepidation, and CWs, some of my favorite lines from that album include:

Hacker -- Death Grips (Realistically, I could throw the entire song in this quote) Wrote:
My existence is a momentary lapse of reason
Got the DNA of gothic lemons
Shred it thirteen times out of eleven
Your bad ideas are the ATM, shed my skin
Leave it for the homeless to sleep in
Prodigal, fuck that, nautical
Teachin' bitches how to swim
Punk Weight -- Death Grips Wrote:
Guerilla bass, straight from the trenches
Posers impaled on picket fences
How to rest your head in roach-infested basements and smoke punk weight for breakfast
I've Seen Footage -- Death Grips Wrote:
Everybody's knowin'
Where ya think you're goin', ain't goin' nowhere
Satellite, handle that
With a lead pipe
Bitch Please -- Death Grips Wrote:
Forged in the flames, said it before and I'll say it again
Quazar game maximum vacuum rotation spin s-s-s
Hustle Bones -- Death Grips Wrote:
Run up bitch to the death get gripped, my steeze is ballin' out
Of control; what you know 'bout bubblin'
Hustle bones comin' out my mouth
All those lines out in the open don't do MC Ride justice, though. The best part about him is his delivery. When he says something, you don't just hear it; you FEEL it. To explain his delivery correctly, I think Hacker puts it best:

Hacker -- Death Grips Wrote:
Grab your fucking chain and drag you through the bike lane
While everybody's like (Nooooo!)
...I will never not look for a reason to quote that song.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

Fat Lip -- Sum 41 Wrote:
Been listening to Money Store (the album by Death Grips), and goddamn does MC Ride have some lines! The problem is a lot of them are graphic and explicit, and I'm not talking about the swears. Swearing in a Death Grips song is like blood in a Mortal Kombat game: after a while, you barely even notice. See, a lot of his lyrics revolve around paranoia, drug use, violent and sexual imagery, mental illness, self-injury and all the good makings of a moral watchdog panic. So, with great trepidation, and CWs, some of my favorite lines from that album include:

Hacker -- Death Grips (Realistically, I could throw the entire song in this quote) Wrote:
My existence is a momentary lapse of reason
Got the DNA of gothic lemons
Shred it thirteen times out of eleven
Your bad ideas are the ATM, shed my skin
Leave it for the homeless to sleep in
Prodigal, fuck that, nautical
Teachin' bitches how to swim
Punk Weight -- Death Grips Wrote:
Guerilla bass, straight from the trenches
Posers impaled on picket fences
How to rest your head in roach-infested basements and smoke punk weight for breakfast
I've Seen Footage -- Death Grips Wrote:
Everybody's knowin'
Where ya think you're goin', ain't goin' nowhere
Satellite, handle that
With a lead pipe
Bitch Please -- Death Grips Wrote:
Forged in the flames, said it before and I'll say it again
Quazar game maximum vacuum rotation spin s-s-s
Hustle Bones -- Death Grips Wrote:
Run up bitch to the death get gripped, my steeze is ballin' out
Of control; what you know 'bout bubblin'
Hustle bones comin' out my mouth
All those lines out in the open don't do MC Ride justice, though. The best part about him is his delivery. When he says something, you don't just hear it; you FEEL it. To explain his delivery correctly, I think Hacker puts it best:

Hacker -- Death Grips Wrote:
Grab your fucking chain and drag you through the bike lane
While everybody's like (Nooooo!)
...I will never not look for a reason to quote that song.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 25th, 2023, 10:09 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Fat Lip -- Sum 41 Wrote:
I have zero clue who or what any of this is referencing to really get any deeper meaning behind it other than it just sounded good/punky for an opening set of lines. XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 25th, 2023, 10:09 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Fat Lip -- Sum 41 Wrote:
I have zero clue who or what any of this is referencing to really get any deeper meaning behind it other than it just sounded good/punky for an opening set of lines. XD
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
El Niño refers to a global weather pattern caused by a cycle of warm and cold water in the Pacific. It's frequently associated with increased thunderstorm strength and frequency, hence the line. An El Camino is a vehicle made by Chevrolet, which has an open trunk much like a Pick-up Truck, but is otherwise a normal car. This particular vehicle is often associated with "white trash" people, especially if you're drinking alcohol in the back of it. It's a great set-up to the kind of person Sum 41 is illustrating with the song.

So, a while back, I mentioned in the "song you're listening to" thread that a cover of Bloc Party's "Luno" has a lyric change in it. The original lyric is this:

Luno - Bloc Party Wrote:
And you're tired of your mum and you're tired of your dad
Got you jumping through hoops, got you shaving your legs
Let it pass, let it pass, let it pass over you
And you're tired of your face and you're tired of your nose
Let it pass, let it pass, let it pass through you
And the Death From Above 1979 cover changes it to this (I've bolded the lyric changed):

Luno - Death From Above 1979 Wrote:
Got you jumping through hoops, got you changing your clothes
This line flows so much better with that lyric change. I've always found the repeat of the "shaving your legs" was stilted and awkward in the original, like Kele couldn't think of another lyric, so he just used it again.

This ends up balancing out, however, because the cover also changes the last verse for the worse. The original is this:

Luno - Bloc Party Wrote:
I can heal the blind, I can cure the sick
I can say the right things, I can say the right things
And the cover removes the "I can cure the sick" line, opting to repeat "I can heal the blind" as a call-and-response lyric. Which works for the second half of that verse (Where it repeats "When did you get so cruel?"), but given the over Jesus reference in the original lyric, it kind of needs that second half! *shrug* So yeah, a perfect cover of this song would use the DOA1979 first verse, but the Bloc Party final verse.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
El Niño refers to a global weather pattern caused by a cycle of warm and cold water in the Pacific. It's frequently associated with increased thunderstorm strength and frequency, hence the line. An El Camino is a vehicle made by Chevrolet, which has an open trunk much like a Pick-up Truck, but is otherwise a normal car. This particular vehicle is often associated with "white trash" people, especially if you're drinking alcohol in the back of it. It's a great set-up to the kind of person Sum 41 is illustrating with the song.

So, a while back, I mentioned in the "song you're listening to" thread that a cover of Bloc Party's "Luno" has a lyric change in it. The original lyric is this:

Luno - Bloc Party Wrote:
And the Death From Above 1979 cover changes it to this (I've bolded the lyric changed):

Luno - Death From Above 1979 Wrote:
Got you jumping through hoops, got you changing your clothes
This line flows so much better with that lyric change. I've always found the repeat of the "shaving your legs" was stilted and awkward in the original, like Kele couldn't think of another lyric, so he just used it again.

This ends up balancing out, however, because the cover also changes the last verse for the worse. The original is this:

Luno - Bloc Party Wrote:
I can say the right things, I can say the right things
And the cover removes the "I can cure the sick" line, opting to repeat "I can heal the blind" as a call-and-response lyric. Which works for the second half of that verse (Where it repeats "When did you get so cruel?"), but given the over Jesus reference in the original lyric, it kind of needs that second half! *shrug* So yeah, a perfect cover of this song would use the DOA1979 first verse, but the Bloc Party final verse.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 10th, 2023, 09:07 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah. I knew an El Camino was a car but had no idea what type of car or what it was associated with at all. I had a vague idea the song was about some punk teenager or young adult who acts like a bit of a dick or is just a trainwreck of a person but understanding the opening better from your explanation makes me no longer view those opening lyrics as just something that sounded cool in a punky rock song a rebellious teenager would probably vibe with back when the song originally came out. XD

Also, these lyrics just became a favorite of mine because I never knew until right now this verse actually mentions ADD. I'd just seen it quoted in a post on Reddit in a thread about ADHD and thought someone had taken the original lyrics and edited them to make it about ADD, so I looked up the lyrics to see what they were supposed to say and learned that what I read was actually the real lyrics and not an edit. ROFL

What's My Age Again by Blink-182 Wrote:
I took her out, it was a Friday night
I wore cologne to get the feeling right
We started making out
And she took off my pants
But then I turned on the TV
And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?
My friends say I should act my age

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 10th, 2023, 09:07 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah. I knew an El Camino was a car but had no idea what type of car or what it was associated with at all. I had a vague idea the song was about some punk teenager or young adult who acts like a bit of a dick or is just a trainwreck of a person but understanding the opening better from your explanation makes me no longer view those opening lyrics as just something that sounded cool in a punky rock song a rebellious teenager would probably vibe with back when the song originally came out. XD

Also, these lyrics just became a favorite of mine because I never knew until right now this verse actually mentions ADD. I'd just seen it quoted in a post on Reddit in a thread about ADHD and thought someone had taken the original lyrics and edited them to make it about ADD, so I looked up the lyrics to see what they were supposed to say and learned that what I read was actually the real lyrics and not an edit. ROFL

What's My Age Again by Blink-182 Wrote:
I took her out, it was a Friday night
I wore cologne to get the feeling right
We started making out
And she took off my pants
But then I turned on the TV
And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?
My friends say I should act my age
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Another set of lyrics I seriously like comes from a song that's basically impossible to listen to legally. It's a song called "Anytime" by Eve 6, and you will quickly find that it's not on any of their albums. This is because it's an exclusive song for the movie Out Cold, and can only be found on that soundtrack. And before you ask, no, it's not available on Spotify. Anyway, enough complaining, here are the lyrics.

Anytime by Eve 6 Wrote:
There's a place where I go to take the edge off the day
When the radio's up, your face fades away
Flicker, flicker, dim and fade to black

With a backpack packed and a mark on the map
Gonna drive too fast, gonna not look back
Light the night with a blow torch and a match

This song is actually a good choice for the movie. I've actually watched it (it's...fine. That's really all you can say about it), and one of the major plot threads is the main character is still smitten with a girl he met on vacation. This same character is out snowboarding when the song is playing in the film, so it shows his mental state without hammering it in (yet; that comes later).
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Another set of lyrics I seriously like comes from a song that's basically impossible to listen to legally. It's a song called "Anytime" by Eve 6, and you will quickly find that it's not on any of their albums. This is because it's an exclusive song for the movie Out Cold, and can only be found on that soundtrack. And before you ask, no, it's not available on Spotify. Anyway, enough complaining, here are the lyrics.

Anytime by Eve 6 Wrote:
There's a place where I go to take the edge off the day
When the radio's up, your face fades away
Flicker, flicker, dim and fade to black

With a backpack packed and a mark on the map
Gonna drive too fast, gonna not look back
Light the night with a blow torch and a match

This song is actually a good choice for the movie. I've actually watched it (it's...fine. That's really all you can say about it), and one of the major plot threads is the main character is still smitten with a girl he met on vacation. This same character is out snowboarding when the song is playing in the film, so it shows his mental state without hammering it in (yet; that comes later).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've never listened to the original song but know of this from a streamer who sometimes performs it on stream and they were just singing it right now, so decided to look up if they were singing a real song and turns out they are: Talk to Me - Stephen Lynch

I was almost tempted to put this in the silly songs thread instead but chose here because I just really like the lyrics. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've never listened to the original song but know of this from a streamer who sometimes performs it on stream and they were just singing it right now, so decided to look up if they were singing a real song and turns out they are: Talk to Me - Stephen Lynch

I was almost tempted to put this in the silly songs thread instead but chose here because I just really like the lyrics. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Quotes Nightingale 23 18,119 Apr 22nd, 2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Favorite Power Ranger? WR91 5 1,135 Jul 11th, 2022, 11:39 PM
  Favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? WR91 3 869 Jul 6th, 2022, 09:42 PM
  Let's enhance our favorite movies! Nightingale 1 2,947 Sep 28th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Last Post: WR91