Let's Look Back at the 8th Generation of Consoles
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Well, this is as far as we can go for looking back on things, as this is the last generation before the current generation of PS5, Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. Wikipedia likes to place the latter into the 8th generation, but some of you agreed it belongs to the 9th generation instead.

As with the earlier threads for the other generations, what are your fond memories with anything from this generation of consoles? Do you have a favourite system? Memorable games/moments? How'd you get any of the consoles from this generation? What did you first play?

Want to look back at earlier generations? Check out the other threads in this series:

I think this generation was one of the rockiest since the recovery of the video game crash, considering the utter travesty that the Wii U turned out to be and Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot with the original Xbox One reveal. I remember seeing speculation that Sony was going to do something very similar to the original Xbox One and that it got changed at the last minute when they saw how badly the Xbox One reveal was received, and although I doubt that actually happened (just feels too short notice to change an entire presentation and the product) it's clear that that particular moment left a lasting impact, considering how neither Sony or Microsoft wanted to take the first step quickly with the reveal of their current consoles. Credit to Microsoft though for taking the feedback on board and turning the Xbox One around as good as they did despite the damage of its first reveal, whereas Nintendo opted to just cut their losses and move onto their next console sooner than later. Probably for the best for them since I don't think the Wii U would've overcome its shortcomings.

Overall I'd say this is my favourite generation since the 6th. I didn't think the 7th was all that good, given that at least 50% of my PS3 library is just not that good and it's also the smallest library I have for a PlayStation console. PS4 had so much stuff and I'm still trying to get through everything in my library. I wish the online multiplayer had remained free, but at least I've managed to get some good PS+ games for free with my subscription so I've definitely got more out of it than I put into it.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Well, this is as far as we can go for looking back on things, as this is the last generation before the current generation of PS5, Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. Wikipedia likes to place the latter into the 8th generation, but some of you agreed it belongs to the 9th generation instead.

As with the earlier threads for the other generations, what are your fond memories with anything from this generation of consoles? Do you have a favourite system? Memorable games/moments? How'd you get any of the consoles from this generation? What did you first play?

Want to look back at earlier generations? Check out the other threads in this series:

I think this generation was one of the rockiest since the recovery of the video game crash, considering the utter travesty that the Wii U turned out to be and Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot with the original Xbox One reveal. I remember seeing speculation that Sony was going to do something very similar to the original Xbox One and that it got changed at the last minute when they saw how badly the Xbox One reveal was received, and although I doubt that actually happened (just feels too short notice to change an entire presentation and the product) it's clear that that particular moment left a lasting impact, considering how neither Sony or Microsoft wanted to take the first step quickly with the reveal of their current consoles. Credit to Microsoft though for taking the feedback on board and turning the Xbox One around as good as they did despite the damage of its first reveal, whereas Nintendo opted to just cut their losses and move onto their next console sooner than later. Probably for the best for them since I don't think the Wii U would've overcome its shortcomings.

Overall I'd say this is my favourite generation since the 6th. I didn't think the 7th was all that good, given that at least 50% of my PS3 library is just not that good and it's also the smallest library I have for a PlayStation console. PS4 had so much stuff and I'm still trying to get through everything in my library. I wish the online multiplayer had remained free, but at least I've managed to get some good PS+ games for free with my subscription so I've definitely got more out of it than I put into it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This was definitely one of those "You better show up to the party looking sharp or you're gonna lose out" gens. PlayStation/Sony had this gen in the bag, despite creeping PC and mobile sales looking to make console gaming obsolete. And it really took the whole cycle for all the games to start showing the full limitations on the hardware, which is pretty impressive.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This was definitely one of those "You better show up to the party looking sharp or you're gonna lose out" gens. PlayStation/Sony had this gen in the bag, despite creeping PC and mobile sales looking to make console gaming obsolete. And it really took the whole cycle for all the games to start showing the full limitations on the hardware, which is pretty impressive.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the end of this gen really showcased how limiting the storage systems are, since that was really when the games started coming on multiple discs. I know it happened with the 360 last gen but that was because the discs just couldn't hold a lot due to being DVD's. Granted, multiple discs for this gen was due to lack of space on the discs too but i expect the size of games to go down now that assets don't have to be duplicated to try and keep read speeds up on a HDD.

I can't comment confidently for Xbox but I think this was the gen that PlayStation at least got a good controller design that doesn't need changing very much and likely won't age as badly as their earlier controllers have. Their older ones all feel badly sized to hold compared to DualShock 4, and they didn't change much of the design for the DS5. I don't even think Xbox changed their controller sizing at all since the 360 so maybe they nailed theirs earlier but again, I don't really use their controllers to know confidently how they've aged.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the end of this gen really showcased how limiting the storage systems are, since that was really when the games started coming on multiple discs. I know it happened with the 360 last gen but that was because the discs just couldn't hold a lot due to being DVD's. Granted, multiple discs for this gen was due to lack of space on the discs too but i expect the size of games to go down now that assets don't have to be duplicated to try and keep read speeds up on a HDD.

I can't comment confidently for Xbox but I think this was the gen that PlayStation at least got a good controller design that doesn't need changing very much and likely won't age as badly as their earlier controllers have. Their older ones all feel badly sized to hold compared to DualShock 4, and they didn't change much of the design for the DS5. I don't even think Xbox changed their controller sizing at all since the 360 so maybe they nailed theirs earlier but again, I don't really use their controllers to know confidently how they've aged.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
If I'm honest I can't say there are many games that I felt really caught my eye for this generation I know we had Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA V, Persona 5 but they also released on the PS3. XD I got my hands on rather late in the generation I feel and I enjoyed it, but I also feel like this was the generation where I really got a bit sicken by the whole triple A game industry and actually made the switch to PC gaming really.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
If I'm honest I can't say there are many games that I felt really caught my eye for this generation I know we had Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA V, Persona 5 but they also released on the PS3. XD I got my hands on rather late in the generation I feel and I enjoyed it, but I also feel like this was the generation where I really got a bit sicken by the whole triple A game industry and actually made the switch to PC gaming really.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 6th, 2021, 02:00 PM)Karo Wrote:
RDR2 was only 8th Gen, but the others were last gen as well.

I'm a little confused by what you mean of being sick of the AAA industry, since PC gaming doesn't get you any further away from it because plenty of AAA is on there too. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 6th, 2021, 02:00 PM)Karo Wrote:
RDR2 was only 8th Gen, but the others were last gen as well.

I'm a little confused by what you mean of being sick of the AAA industry, since PC gaming doesn't get you any further away from it because plenty of AAA is on there too. Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 5th, 2021, 03:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
This was definitely one of those "You better show up to the party looking sharp or you're gonna lose out" gens.
Reading this statement again, I think this gen could be the last time any of the big three decide to be overconfident. Sony did it with the PS3 and Microsoft did it with the Xbox One, but with the current gen that followed this one both of them were actually trying to hold off as long as they could before announcing either of their new consoles and I think it's because neither wanted to get burnt again and give the edge to the other at all. Nintendo meanwhile will continue to do whatever they wish because they picked their lane and dominate it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 5th, 2021, 03:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
This was definitely one of those "You better show up to the party looking sharp or you're gonna lose out" gens.
Reading this statement again, I think this gen could be the last time any of the big three decide to be overconfident. Sony did it with the PS3 and Microsoft did it with the Xbox One, but with the current gen that followed this one both of them were actually trying to hold off as long as they could before announcing either of their new consoles and I think it's because neither wanted to get burnt again and give the edge to the other at all. Nintendo meanwhile will continue to do whatever they wish because they picked their lane and dominate it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,685 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Next Generation of Consoles Expected to Come Out in 2028 Moonface 8 1,323 Jul 1st, 2023, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Does Anyone Here Bother with Apps on Consoles? Moonface 12 2,270 Dec 7th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Frank
  What Defines a New Console Generation to You? Moonface 5 2,023 Sep 16th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Let's Look Back at the 7th Generation of Consoles Moonface 23 8,450 Aug 10th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Nightingale