Metroid (Series)
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Has anyone here played any of these games? I've never played one but I'm currently downloading the Metroid Dread demo to see how I like it since the game received so much praise, and I have no idea where else or how else to start diving into these games. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the demo when it finishes in a minute or two. ^_^
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Has anyone here played any of these games? I've never played one but I'm currently downloading the Metroid Dread demo to see how I like it since the game received so much praise, and I have no idea where else or how else to start diving into these games. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the demo when it finishes in a minute or two. ^_^
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
So I've never actually owned any Metroid titles; I've always played them second-hand from friends that did own them, which for me were Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Fusion for the GBA. I got very lost in Prime, and Fusion was a lot of fun but was quite hard for me to grasp at the time (I was not very good at puzzle games as a kid). Both were fun to play though!

I've been interested in Dread since announcement and since watching streamers play through it. I've generally avoided most story spoilers, but to be fair I haven't played through all of Fusion to really get a full grasp on why everything was happening so LOL

Still, these are very cool games, and it, along with Castlevania, inspired a whole new genre of games: Metroidvania!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
So I've never actually owned any Metroid titles; I've always played them second-hand from friends that did own them, which for me were Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Fusion for the GBA. I got very lost in Prime, and Fusion was a lot of fun but was quite hard for me to grasp at the time (I was not very good at puzzle games as a kid). Both were fun to play though!

I've been interested in Dread since announcement and since watching streamers play through it. I've generally avoided most story spoilers, but to be fair I haven't played through all of Fusion to really get a full grasp on why everything was happening so LOL

Still, these are very cool games, and it, along with Castlevania, inspired a whole new genre of games: Metroidvania!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the demo of Dread is basically the opening of the game, since it explains some key things that I thought were really helpful in filling me in since I don't even really know the story of Samus that much.

I finished the demo on the same day I downloaded it, and it is incredibly good. It definitely makes me want to get the full game. Grin

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the demo of Dread is basically the opening of the game, since it explains some key things that I thought were really helpful in filling me in since I don't even really know the story of Samus that much.

I finished the demo on the same day I downloaded it, and it is incredibly good. It definitely makes me want to get the full game. Grin
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Never had much interest in the meatrod games myself. I find that a lot of the indie metroidvanias out there are much, much more interesting than any of this series' games are (and the same goes for Castlevania as well).

I do love pushing Monocle's buttons by constantly shitting on the series though, because he's a huge fangirl of the series.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Never had much interest in the meatrod games myself. I find that a lot of the indie metroidvanias out there are much, much more interesting than any of this series' games are (and the same goes for Castlevania as well).

I do love pushing Monocle's buttons by constantly shitting on the series though, because he's a huge fangirl of the series.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think you ought to give this one a try, Dragonlord, mostly because this seems to be a very decent entry in the series and challenging enough to your tastes. Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think you ought to give this one a try, Dragonlord, mostly because this seems to be a very decent entry in the series and challenging enough to your tastes. Smile
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 20th, 2021, 12:31 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Which ones are those @Dragon Lord and what would you say they do better than Metroid does? Since I've not played anything but the Dread demo I can't compare things like Hollow Knight or Ori to it very well or even know if Dread added things that earlier games were lacking.

@Monocle: Have you tried Dread at all yet?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 20th, 2021, 12:31 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Which ones are those @Dragon Lord and what would you say they do better than Metroid does? Since I've not played anything but the Dread demo I can't compare things like Hollow Knight or Ori to it very well or even know if Dread added things that earlier games were lacking.

@Monocle: Have you tried Dread at all yet?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Dread was amazing. beat it on hard mode with 100% item completion.

Yes I'm obsessed with Metroid. Yes it added a ton of awesome stuff. Big thing it lacked was good music though. it was all pretty forgettable vs Super Metroid which has iconic music
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Dread was amazing. beat it on hard mode with 100% item completion.

Yes I'm obsessed with Metroid. Yes it added a ton of awesome stuff. Big thing it lacked was good music though. it was all pretty forgettable vs Super Metroid which has iconic music
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Would you say Dread is the best Metroid game @Monocle or if not where would you place it in comparison to the rest?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Would you say Dread is the best Metroid game @Monocle or if not where would you place it in comparison to the rest?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Nostalgia and the amount of clunkiness that Super Metroid has makes it my number 1. Yeah it's clunky but when you overcome those controls, you feel amazing. Plus it basically created the speedeunning community because there's so much sequence breaking you can do in it. AND it's got a hugely creative community. There are a lot of excellent romhacks that fix a bunch of the clunkiness AND basically redo the entire game and maps. It's easily my favorite.

Dread is an extremely close number 2. It's that good. I have beaten it twice and I'm ready for a third go around.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Nostalgia and the amount of clunkiness that Super Metroid has makes it my number 1. Yeah it's clunky but when you overcome those controls, you feel amazing. Plus it basically created the speedeunning community because there's so much sequence breaking you can do in it. AND it's got a hugely creative community. There are a lot of excellent romhacks that fix a bunch of the clunkiness AND basically redo the entire game and maps. It's easily my favorite.

Dread is an extremely close number 2. It's that good. I have beaten it twice and I'm ready for a third go around.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've watched a video on the original Metroid where someone tries to beat it with as few kills and missiles as possible and the breaking they did there was nuts, so it doesn't shock me to hear the sequel does the same. I'm surprised that was the first Metroid game to really create that though unless the original was just too early for speedrunning to become a thing when it came out.

I'm not sure if you're interested but since you're liking Dread so much you might be interested in this video that looks at it from another perspective:

I haven't watched it myself because I don't want to get spoiled so I hope it's good if you do decide to check it out. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've watched a video on the original Metroid where someone tries to beat it with as few kills and missiles as possible and the breaking they did there was nuts, so it doesn't shock me to hear the sequel does the same. I'm surprised that was the first Metroid game to really create that though unless the original was just too early for speedrunning to become a thing when it came out.

I'm not sure if you're interested but since you're liking Dread so much you might be interested in this video that looks at it from another perspective:

I haven't watched it myself because I don't want to get spoiled so I hope it's good if you do decide to check it out. XD
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
In anyway subbed to Shesez lmao. I saw it already. Yeah don't watch because spoilers galore.

Actually I've been playing a few romhacks to try and occupy the little time I have lately. I don't want to jump into something long term until after the holidays and I can free time again
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
In anyway subbed to Shesez lmao. I saw it already. Yeah don't watch because spoilers galore.

Actually I've been playing a few romhacks to try and occupy the little time I have lately. I don't want to jump into something long term until after the holidays and I can free time again
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So I got Dread for Christmas and since I already did the opening via the demo I won't comment on that again, but (assuming this is obtained in a set order) I just got the Bomb ability. So far I really like the game although sometimes I have a hard time getting Samus to grab a ledge. I also think the shooting while running isn't very good at times, especially during the boss fight in the fire area against that chained up creature. I was trying to run and shoot the projectiles to keep out the way of the fire and having move and aim be on the same stick felt cumbersome in that moment; I'd have preferred aiming be on the right stick and shooting be on a shoulder button for hectic moments like that one.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So I got Dread for Christmas and since I already did the opening via the demo I won't comment on that again, but (assuming this is obtained in a set order) I just got the Bomb ability. So far I really like the game although sometimes I have a hard time getting Samus to grab a ledge. I also think the shooting while running isn't very good at times, especially during the boss fight in the fire area against that chained up creature. I was trying to run and shoot the projectiles to keep out the way of the fire and having move and aim be on the same stick felt cumbersome in that moment; I'd have preferred aiming be on the right stick and shooting be on a shoulder button for hectic moments like that one.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah but it's not meant to be a shooting game although she does shoot. it's mainly a platformer with crazy ass boss battles. I also think the different controls are on purpose so it isn't too easy
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah but it's not meant to be a shooting game although she does shoot. it's mainly a platformer with crazy ass boss battles. I also think the different controls are on purpose so it isn't too easy
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For the most part I'd agree with you that it isn't focused on combat, but that one boss I mentioned requires you to do a lot of shooting so as to not get hit by the projectiles but standing still to shoot will still get you hit. It's the only fight that the controls felt iffy for me so it's not too bad. I do wish I'd known it doesn't save the game when traveling between areas though because i turned the game off after doing that and lost who knows how much progress when I loaded back in to see I didn't load where I thought I would. Doh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For the most part I'd agree with you that it isn't focused on combat, but that one boss I mentioned requires you to do a lot of shooting so as to not get hit by the projectiles but standing still to shoot will still get you hit. It's the only fight that the controls felt iffy for me so it's not too bad. I do wish I'd known it doesn't save the game when traveling between areas though because i turned the game off after doing that and lost who knows how much progress when I loaded back in to see I didn't load where I thought I would. Doh
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Well Kraid has some secrets to beating him but it means getting items before you're supposed to, like getting bombs early. the trick actually makes him one of the easiest bosses lol
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Well Kraid has some secrets to beating him but it means getting items before you're supposed to, like getting bombs early. the trick actually makes him one of the easiest bosses lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 113 11,921 Mar 26th, 2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 25,970 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,449 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,270 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,843 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface