Metroid (Series)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Free Updates Incoming for Metroid Dread
Two free updates have been announced for Metroid Dread during today's Nintendo Direct.

The 1st free update includes Dread Mode, where you die in a single hit, and Rookie Mode, which provides greater healing for players who struggle with the games base difficulty. This update is available later today.

A 2nd free update is due for release in April 2022, and will bring a Boss Rush mode to the game.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Free Updates Incoming for Metroid Dread
Two free updates have been announced for Metroid Dread during today's Nintendo Direct.

The 1st free update includes Dread Mode, where you die in a single hit, and Rookie Mode, which provides greater healing for players who struggle with the games base difficulty. This update is available later today.

A 2nd free update is due for release in April 2022, and will bring a Boss Rush mode to the game.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Boss rush! gimme gimme gimme gimme.

That Dread mode though. no fucking way. hard pass. that's insanity
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Boss rush! gimme gimme gimme gimme.

That Dread mode though. no fucking way. hard pass. that's insanity
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You just know some madman is going to have a speed run of Dread Mode put together and have it on the next GDQ. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You just know some madman is going to have a speed run of Dread Mode put together and have it on the next GDQ. Tongue
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
oh i totally believe it. I'm sure there's a category on speedrun websites already. I. wonder if anyone I follow is gonna try it
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
oh i totally believe it. I'm sure there's a category on speedrun websites already. I. wonder if anyone I follow is gonna try it
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 11th, 2022, 01:26 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Just checked and a few people have already thrown down runs for Dread difficulty in 0%. I'm surprised that one has entries but Any% doesn't since that would surely be easier than a 0% run or at least on par to it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 11th, 2022, 01:26 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Just checked and a few people have already thrown down runs for Dread difficulty in 0%. I'm surprised that one has entries but Any% doesn't since that would surely be easier than a 0% run or at least on par to it.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
maybe people just wanted to go for the most difficult thing right away. I know I'm not about that at all.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
maybe people just wanted to go for the most difficult thing right away. I know I'm not about that at all.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:46 AM)Monocle Wrote:
That or maybe 0% means you only need to go to the most crucial areas and avoid as much combat as possible which is safer to pull off in a mode where you die in one hit. I also suspect that as people are learning routes in that difficulty they'll just start with the simplest and quickest so that time isn't wasted collecting an item on a run that ends in death.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:46 AM)Monocle Wrote:
That or maybe 0% means you only need to go to the most crucial areas and avoid as much combat as possible which is safer to pull off in a mode where you die in one hit. I also suspect that as people are learning routes in that difficulty they'll just start with the simplest and quickest so that time isn't wasted collecting an item on a run that ends in death.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I wonder how many exploits were used. I know a few were patched out already
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I wonder how many exploits were used. I know a few were patched out already
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think I've ever heard of a game patching out exploits used for speed running; unless the exploits were also harming regular players if people could accidentally trigger them and such. What ones got patched out?

Also in case you missed the alert I put something about Dread in the game demake thread in General Gaming you might find interesting. Wink

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think I've ever heard of a game patching out exploits used for speed running; unless the exploits were also harming regular players if people could accidentally trigger them and such. What ones got patched out?

Also in case you missed the alert I put something about Dread in the game demake thread in General Gaming you might find interesting. Wink
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah they did with dread. there was a glitch that caused you to be invincible. there were speedrun for it too called Suitless runs. Patch 1.0.3 killed that glitch and destroyed an entire speedrun category
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Yeah they did with dread. there was a glitch that caused you to be invincible. there were speedrun for it too called Suitless runs. Patch 1.0.3 killed that glitch and destroyed an entire speedrun category
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle, have you seen this video that breaks down the animation of Metroid Dread?

There was also this very recent video made by DidYouKnowGaming? that shares a lot of secrets from the Metroid Prime developers that haven't been shared before:

I'm not sure whether to watch this one at some point or if it'll go over my head from not having played the game or really knowing anything about it. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle, have you seen this video that breaks down the animation of Metroid Dread?

There was also this very recent video made by DidYouKnowGaming? that shares a lot of secrets from the Metroid Prime developers that haven't been shared before:

I'm not sure whether to watch this one at some point or if it'll go over my head from not having played the game or really knowing anything about it. Hmm
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I haven't seen either of them but I'll need to take a look whenever I get a day off
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I haven't seen either of them but I'll need to take a look whenever I get a day off
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 4th, 2022, 04:49 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Oof. When was the last time you had a day off?

I'm hoping I can watch the videos tomorrow, or at least the Dread one. Not sure if it's worth me watching the Prime one since I know nothing about the game.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 4th, 2022, 04:49 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Oof. When was the last time you had a day off?

I'm hoping I can watch the videos tomorrow, or at least the Dread one. Not sure if it's worth me watching the Prime one since I know nothing about the game.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just came across this tweet where someone is making a Metroid N64 game:

I never knew the N64 didn't get a Metroid game. Would that make it one of the only pre-established Nintendo IP's to not get an entry on that system? Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Just came across this tweet where someone is making a Metroid N64 game:

I never knew the N64 didn't get a Metroid game. Would that make it one of the only pre-established Nintendo IP's to not get an entry on that system? Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 114 11,949 Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 26,013 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,457 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,274 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,856 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface