Lies of P | Version 1.3.0.0 Patch
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Lies of P | King of Puppets Boss and New Weapons Revealed
Lies of P director Jiwon Choi sat down with IGN at Gamescom 2023 to talk about the terrifying King of Puppets boss, new weapons, and how the studio has approached this hostile retelling of the story of Pinocchio.

I doubt it but it would be hilarious if the flamethrower the enemy at the start of the gameplay footage could drop that weapon for us to use. ROFL
The location at the 2:50 mark in the video is gorgeous btw. I can't tell if the spider enemy has full control over the small puppet enemies that appear and whether they only die when it does or if they're just grouped together as independent enemies that just share an aesthetic. Hmm
The hanging puppets in the background of the boss fight reminds me a lot of that one boss fight area in NieR: Automata.
Don't say I can agree with the interviewer about this game having a fast and energetic movement to it based on my memories of the demo. It didn't feel clunky at all but it didn't feel like how the interview wants to describe it. Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Lies of P | King of Puppets Boss and New Weapons Revealed
Lies of P director Jiwon Choi sat down with IGN at Gamescom 2023 to talk about the terrifying King of Puppets boss, new weapons, and how the studio has approached this hostile retelling of the story of Pinocchio.

I doubt it but it would be hilarious if the flamethrower the enemy at the start of the gameplay footage could drop that weapon for us to use. ROFL
The location at the 2:50 mark in the video is gorgeous btw. I can't tell if the spider enemy has full control over the small puppet enemies that appear and whether they only die when it does or if they're just grouped together as independent enemies that just share an aesthetic. Hmm
The hanging puppets in the background of the boss fight reminds me a lot of that one boss fight area in NieR: Automata.
Don't say I can agree with the interviewer about this game having a fast and energetic movement to it based on my memories of the demo. It didn't feel clunky at all but it didn't feel like how the interview wants to describe it. Unsure
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Lies of P | Weapons Showcase

Man all of these weapons look so sick! I love seeing more of the handle + blade combination system this game has and really look forward to experimenting with all of those when I get the full game. Grin

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Lies of P | Weapons Showcase

Man all of these weapons look so sick! I love seeing more of the handle + blade combination system this game has and really look forward to experimenting with all of those when I get the full game. Grin
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Man I should've pre-ordered this or something because literally everywhere around me is apparently sold out of this game. I know I could buy it digitally but I don't wanna. Nooo

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Man I should've pre-ordered this or something because literally everywhere around me is apparently sold out of this game. I know I could buy it digitally but I don't wanna. Nooo
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah it's wild how widely out of stock it is. I mean, I'm happy in a sense, cuz that could potentially mean high sales, and high sales could mean good news for the studio/publisher, and thus sequel potential.

I've seen a good chunk of the game, including some of the last bosses of the game. Game seems properly hard, but the sheer variety in its enemies, weapon customizations and optional quests makes it a stellar standout. Look forward to seeing y'all try it out for yourselves
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah it's wild how widely out of stock it is. I mean, I'm happy in a sense, cuz that could potentially mean high sales, and high sales could mean good news for the studio/publisher, and thus sequel potential.

I've seen a good chunk of the game, including some of the last bosses of the game. Game seems properly hard, but the sheer variety in its enemies, weapon customizations and optional quests makes it a stellar standout. Look forward to seeing y'all try it out for yourselves
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I got my copy a couple of days ago, but wasn't able to start it until this morning. I haven't gotten past where the demo ended yet, so I haven't experienced anything new. One thing I am already happy about is them making the dodge feel a little better. You can actually properly dodge attacks now and that's a huge plus.

Was thinking about going for the strength build first this time around, but decided to stick with a Dex build like I normally do on first play throughs of Souls-like games (that let you pick your stats at least). The higher stamina is always the most important thing to me. Damage is a bit suckage so far though, which has me wondering just how much more damage I would b doing if I went with the STR start instead.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I got my copy a couple of days ago, but wasn't able to start it until this morning. I haven't gotten past where the demo ended yet, so I haven't experienced anything new. One thing I am already happy about is them making the dodge feel a little better. You can actually properly dodge attacks now and that's a huge plus.

Was thinking about going for the strength build first this time around, but decided to stick with a Dex build like I normally do on first play throughs of Souls-like games (that let you pick your stats at least). The higher stamina is always the most important thing to me. Damage is a bit suckage so far though, which has me wondering just how much more damage I would b doing if I went with the STR start instead.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Do you think you'll go for the same skills on that ability tree you get access to at the end of the demo @Dragon Lord or do you plan to pick differently when you reach that point this time?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Do you think you'll go for the same skills on that ability tree you get access to at the end of the demo @Dragon Lord or do you plan to pick differently when you reach that point this time?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I didn't actually reach the very end of the demo when I played it, so I never got access to the skill tree. My plan will probably be to go for any skills that will improve dodging most likely, and of course anything that will increase damage with Technique based weapons, if there are any such skills.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I didn't actually reach the very end of the demo when I played it, so I never got access to the skill tree. My plan will probably be to go for any skills that will improve dodging most likely, and of course anything that will increase damage with Technique based weapons, if there are any such skills.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, so did you do the second boss in the demo or no? Since I think you get into the skill tree as soon as you beat that boss so I'm surprised you didn't encounter it if you did that boss too. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, so did you do the second boss in the demo or no? Since I think you get into the skill tree as soon as you beat that boss so I'm surprised you didn't encounter it if you did that boss too. Unsure
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I had not fought the boss at City Hall in the demo. I am passed that boss now though, and have unlocked the skill tree. I'll be focusing on the additional dodge + additional healing use skills first, with the extra Dodge being the main priority whenever I can get one.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I had not fought the boss at City Hall in the demo. I am passed that boss now though, and have unlocked the skill tree. I'll be focusing on the additional dodge + additional healing use skills first, with the extra Dodge being the main priority whenever I can get one.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 24th, 2023, 03:27 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Ah. How many times did it take you to do that boss? It took me a few tries in the demo and I think I used the summon outside too just for the hell of it. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. How many times did it take you to do that boss? It took me a few tries in the demo and I think I used the summon outside too just for the hell of it. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
From what I've seen, going all unga-bunga strength is a fast way to make the game insanely difficult! As you know with Souls games, more strength = big, unwieldy weapons = slow, hard attacks. And as you already know, dodging is pretty important, so to be stuck in a swing animation while puppet dude starts his string of bullshit attacks, will kinda suck! LOL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
From what I've seen, going all unga-bunga strength is a fast way to make the game insanely difficult! As you know with Souls games, more strength = big, unwieldy weapons = slow, hard attacks. And as you already know, dodging is pretty important, so to be stuck in a swing animation while puppet dude starts his string of bullshit attacks, will kinda suck! LOL
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Sep 24th, 2023, 03:33 AM)Moonface Wrote:

It took me two attempts. I used the summon too, though only because I thought maybe there would be a trophy for summoning it and winning with it alive (which didn't happen, because it died right at the end of the fight, rip). Otherwise I wouldn't have used it, because I believe in always defeating every boss in a Souls-like game solo the first time through the game (unless there's a quest/achievement involved in using a summon). First attempt ended up being a train wreck because I was using the lightning weapon and of course the boss is lightning elemental so my damage was absolute crap. It also didn't help that I attached the blade of that weapon to the handle of the Rapier so I would get Tech scaling + faster normal attacks, but the rapier SUCKS for getting the charged attack off when the boss's HP bar is outlined in white. It's a three hit combo and you don't get the knock down until the third hit. Second time I went in with the Police Baton and it was a much different right. More damage + the charged attack of the Baton is actually pretty fast and does good damage, so I was able to get the knock downs for those big critical hits.

(Sep 24th, 2023, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Normally true, though there are a couple exceptions to the rule. Strength builds in Demon's Souls were actually pretty good because you could upgrade a weapon down the "Heavy" path to give it STR scaling, and you could do this with the Claymore which was a pretty fast swinging Greatsword, making it an absolutely deadly weapon on a STR build. Dark Souls II also gave STR builds a time to shine with the Power Stance system in place, allowing you to dual wield Ultra Greatswords and dish out an incredible amount of damage (plus the Greatsword weapon in DaS2 had a pretty nice moveset, so that was a huge plus). Also as I've recently found out, STR builds in Elden Ring are absolutely busted as well because despite being big, slow weapons, you can instead just abuse the absolute crap out of the jumping mechanic to just do jumping attacks with the Greatsword, which not only do great damage, but also do a LOT of poise damage to bosses for more knock downs and critical attacks.

From what I've gathered so far in Lies of P, it actually seems like the STR build is better. Mainly due to the mechanic of when you block and get hit, you can retaliate against the enemy to regain your lost HP (just like Bloodborne's Rally mechanic, but in Lies of P you only get the opportunity if you blocked the attack). This actually benefits trading hits with bosses, and since STR weapons are going to do much more damage, that means you recover much more HP in that one hit. Normally I am all about the fast hitting DEX builds, but so far the only Tech weapon I have gotten access to, which is the starting rapier, does awful damage despite having leveled up my tech a bit from base. I find that using the Police Baton (STR weapon) right now gives me more damage than using the Rapier. I'm really hoping that I find a new Tech weapon soon, because I really don't want to invest resources into upgrading the Rapier just to get it to do respectable damage.

And while the improved dodge is noticeable, I still find that some enemies and bosses have attacks that sweep so far forward that I still get hit by them despite dodging. Perhaps something I'll no longer encounter now that I have the extra dodge from the skill tree, but it definitely has me wondering if the STR black n' trade strat really is going to be the superior way of beating the game over dodging. Either way, I'll stick to my TECH build for now and see what I go. I just desperately need a more enjoyable weapon than the Rapier.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

It took me two attempts. I used the summon too, though only because I thought maybe there would be a trophy for summoning it and winning with it alive (which didn't happen, because it died right at the end of the fight, rip). Otherwise I wouldn't have used it, because I believe in always defeating every boss in a Souls-like game solo the first time through the game (unless there's a quest/achievement involved in using a summon). First attempt ended up being a train wreck because I was using the lightning weapon and of course the boss is lightning elemental so my damage was absolute crap. It also didn't help that I attached the blade of that weapon to the handle of the Rapier so I would get Tech scaling + faster normal attacks, but the rapier SUCKS for getting the charged attack off when the boss's HP bar is outlined in white. It's a three hit combo and you don't get the knock down until the third hit. Second time I went in with the Police Baton and it was a much different right. More damage + the charged attack of the Baton is actually pretty fast and does good damage, so I was able to get the knock downs for those big critical hits.

(Sep 24th, 2023, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Normally true, though there are a couple exceptions to the rule. Strength builds in Demon's Souls were actually pretty good because you could upgrade a weapon down the "Heavy" path to give it STR scaling, and you could do this with the Claymore which was a pretty fast swinging Greatsword, making it an absolutely deadly weapon on a STR build. Dark Souls II also gave STR builds a time to shine with the Power Stance system in place, allowing you to dual wield Ultra Greatswords and dish out an incredible amount of damage (plus the Greatsword weapon in DaS2 had a pretty nice moveset, so that was a huge plus). Also as I've recently found out, STR builds in Elden Ring are absolutely busted as well because despite being big, slow weapons, you can instead just abuse the absolute crap out of the jumping mechanic to just do jumping attacks with the Greatsword, which not only do great damage, but also do a LOT of poise damage to bosses for more knock downs and critical attacks.

From what I've gathered so far in Lies of P, it actually seems like the STR build is better. Mainly due to the mechanic of when you block and get hit, you can retaliate against the enemy to regain your lost HP (just like Bloodborne's Rally mechanic, but in Lies of P you only get the opportunity if you blocked the attack). This actually benefits trading hits with bosses, and since STR weapons are going to do much more damage, that means you recover much more HP in that one hit. Normally I am all about the fast hitting DEX builds, but so far the only Tech weapon I have gotten access to, which is the starting rapier, does awful damage despite having leveled up my tech a bit from base. I find that using the Police Baton (STR weapon) right now gives me more damage than using the Rapier. I'm really hoping that I find a new Tech weapon soon, because I really don't want to invest resources into upgrading the Rapier just to get it to do respectable damage.

And while the improved dodge is noticeable, I still find that some enemies and bosses have attacks that sweep so far forward that I still get hit by them despite dodging. Perhaps something I'll no longer encounter now that I have the extra dodge from the skill tree, but it definitely has me wondering if the STR black n' trade strat really is going to be the superior way of beating the game over dodging. Either way, I'll stick to my TECH build for now and see what I go. I just desperately need a more enjoyable weapon than the Rapier.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 24th, 2023, 05:48 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Yeah when I used the summon in the demo it never lived long. I used it mostly for a distraction since it didn't really do anything noteworthy damage wise.
You know, I don't recall now if I was running that lightning weapon in the demo on that boss either. I turned it into one of my two main weapons on me, and I think I had it mostly for the fast health vial refill it offered and used my other weapon for damage, so if I did use it it would've been when trying to refill a vial in the fight which if I did was probably actually putting me in more harm by using a bad weapon choice near death. XD

I'm curious, how did you find the tutorial at the start of the game where it informs you about the stun mechanic when an enemy health meter is flashing white? In the demo I found it rather unintuitive to get told it mid-fight and ended up dying trying to do what the game was educating me on to the point I ignored the tutorial in that fight, and a streamer I watch had the same issue too.

I also finally found a physical copy of the game this afternoon so I can finally play the game! It just finished installing. Grin

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 24th, 2023, 05:48 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Yeah when I used the summon in the demo it never lived long. I used it mostly for a distraction since it didn't really do anything noteworthy damage wise.
You know, I don't recall now if I was running that lightning weapon in the demo on that boss either. I turned it into one of my two main weapons on me, and I think I had it mostly for the fast health vial refill it offered and used my other weapon for damage, so if I did use it it would've been when trying to refill a vial in the fight which if I did was probably actually putting me in more harm by using a bad weapon choice near death. XD

I'm curious, how did you find the tutorial at the start of the game where it informs you about the stun mechanic when an enemy health meter is flashing white? In the demo I found it rather unintuitive to get told it mid-fight and ended up dying trying to do what the game was educating me on to the point I ignored the tutorial in that fight, and a streamer I watch had the same issue too.

I also finally found a physical copy of the game this afternoon so I can finally play the game! It just finished installing. Grin
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I don't think I've ever experienced a game going from so good in the first 1/4 of the game to being so horrendously bad the rest of the way as this game has managed to do. It's honestly astonishing how fast this game went downhill.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I don't think I've ever experienced a game going from so good in the first 1/4 of the game to being so horrendously bad the rest of the way as this game has managed to do. It's honestly astonishing how fast this game went downhill.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 25th, 2023, 11:13 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I only just beat the King's Flame boss fight in the factory and took the cable car up to the cathedral just after it, so I imagine you're a lot farther than I am.
Not sure if it can be explained without spoilers but I'm curious what you came across that changed your opinion that drastically. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 25th, 2023, 11:13 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I only just beat the King's Flame boss fight in the factory and took the cable car up to the cathedral just after it, so I imagine you're a lot farther than I am.
Not sure if it can be explained without spoilers but I'm curious what you came across that changed your opinion that drastically. Unsure

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stellar Blade | NG+ Patch Details Moonface 45 4,438 Apr 26th, 2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Moonface