What's Something You'd Like To See Back In Its Glory?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,639
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Got this idea after seeing this image:

[Image: mtxLAuc.png]

Is there anything you'd like to be able to look at back in its original glory? Doesn't need to be a place, there might just be an item that hasn't aged very well that you'd like to see as it was when it was first made too. Tongue

I'd love to see Rome in its original state. Especially when I also saw this shortly after the image I shared: https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfu..._building/
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,639 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Got this idea after seeing this image:

[Image: mtxLAuc.png]

Is there anything you'd like to be able to look at back in its original glory? Doesn't need to be a place, there might just be an item that hasn't aged very well that you'd like to see as it was when it was first made too. Tongue

I'd love to see Rome in its original state. Especially when I also saw this shortly after the image I shared: https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfu..._building/
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
America, before it was colonized. ROFL

Honestly, the whole earth before modern humanity (pre-Cromagnons). I have to wonder what a completely untainted earth is like.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
America, before it was colonized. ROFL

Honestly, the whole earth before modern humanity (pre-Cromagnons). I have to wonder what a completely untainted earth is like.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,840
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Where do I even begin? Well, let's start with the obvious: the Library of Alexandria before it was burned to the ground. Some of the world's greatest and most important human works, all lost to history.

Here's one that would only interest a person like me: a siege. Specifically, the Siege of Plevna (aka the Siege of Pleven), 1877. If you've never heard of it, I don't blame you, but you should, because it's one of the most important singular battles in history. Plevna is a town in what is now Bulgaria, but what was then part of the Ottoman Empire, and they were currently at war with the Russian Empire. The Ottomans were trapped in Plevna, and were basically the only thing stopping the Russian advance. The details of how they succeeded as long as they did are lost, but legend goes that they marked out the terrain so they knew exactly the distances they'd be firing, and dug trenches around the city. Then, normal rifles (this was still in the age of Black Powder) would fire normally. These were breech-loaders, so they loaded at the back, but they were single shot, so it was a slow affair still. If it looked like the Russians were about to break through, that's when their trap card was activated. In the trenches, soldiers armed with Winchester repeating carbines (I hesitate to call them "rifles" because they were firing pistol-type cartridges, and not full rifle cartridges) would pop out, and mow down anyone who may be too close with their relatively rapid burst fire capability (these are still lever-actions, so this isn't full auto). And because of the distance markings, they knew EXACTLY when to start firing. The siege took MONTHS before the Russians succeeded, and this singular event is credited with both buying the Ottoman Empire another 40 years of life, AND with completely changing military doctrine through the entire European World (suddenly, everyone wanted a magazine capable rifle, specifically because of the Winchester-style burst it could provide).

So much music I'd love to see in its prime: Queen, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, on and on the list could go, but I know the one person I'd want to see live if I had to only choose one: Robert Johnson. The Blues musician from the 1920s, who famously sold his soul to the Devil at the Crossroads for his ability to play guitar. And GODDAMN, could he play! Seriously, if you want an idea of how important and talented Robert Johnson is, he is to Blues what Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton are to Rock. He's THAT important, and all we have of him are about 40 recordings of single songs that are, honestly, pretty terrible quality.

I'm sure I could go on and on, more and more and more things until this post became completely bloated and unusable, so I'll just stop here for now.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,840 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Where do I even begin? Well, let's start with the obvious: the Library of Alexandria before it was burned to the ground. Some of the world's greatest and most important human works, all lost to history.

Here's one that would only interest a person like me: a siege. Specifically, the Siege of Plevna (aka the Siege of Pleven), 1877. If you've never heard of it, I don't blame you, but you should, because it's one of the most important singular battles in history. Plevna is a town in what is now Bulgaria, but what was then part of the Ottoman Empire, and they were currently at war with the Russian Empire. The Ottomans were trapped in Plevna, and were basically the only thing stopping the Russian advance. The details of how they succeeded as long as they did are lost, but legend goes that they marked out the terrain so they knew exactly the distances they'd be firing, and dug trenches around the city. Then, normal rifles (this was still in the age of Black Powder) would fire normally. These were breech-loaders, so they loaded at the back, but they were single shot, so it was a slow affair still. If it looked like the Russians were about to break through, that's when their trap card was activated. In the trenches, soldiers armed with Winchester repeating carbines (I hesitate to call them "rifles" because they were firing pistol-type cartridges, and not full rifle cartridges) would pop out, and mow down anyone who may be too close with their relatively rapid burst fire capability (these are still lever-actions, so this isn't full auto). And because of the distance markings, they knew EXACTLY when to start firing. The siege took MONTHS before the Russians succeeded, and this singular event is credited with both buying the Ottoman Empire another 40 years of life, AND with completely changing military doctrine through the entire European World (suddenly, everyone wanted a magazine capable rifle, specifically because of the Winchester-style burst it could provide).

So much music I'd love to see in its prime: Queen, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, on and on the list could go, but I know the one person I'd want to see live if I had to only choose one: Robert Johnson. The Blues musician from the 1920s, who famously sold his soul to the Devil at the Crossroads for his ability to play guitar. And GODDAMN, could he play! Seriously, if you want an idea of how important and talented Robert Johnson is, he is to Blues what Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton are to Rock. He's THAT important, and all we have of him are about 40 recordings of single songs that are, honestly, pretty terrible quality.

I'm sure I could go on and on, more and more and more things until this post became completely bloated and unusable, so I'll just stop here for now.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 31st, 2021, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I wonder how the air would feel to breathe in back then compared to now because of how clean it would presumably be.
Off the back of that, it'd be interesting to see what the world was like during Pangaea since all the land was together, and how much of it changed when it broke apart and drifted into new climates.

@Maniakkid25: So for that siege, they marked out how far the range was on their weapons to make sure every shot would be able to land?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 31st, 2021, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I wonder how the air would feel to breathe in back then compared to now because of how clean it would presumably be.
Off the back of that, it'd be interesting to see what the world was like during Pangaea since all the land was together, and how much of it changed when it broke apart and drifted into new climates.

@Maniakkid25: So for that siege, they marked out how far the range was on their weapons to make sure every shot would be able to land?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,840
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Less to make sure they would land, and more to make sure they didn't waste ammo firing at out of range targets. Keep in mind, this is a 19th century siege. Pre-mechanization, you had to pack that ammo in, if you're lucky, by horse. This was also the era of big bore (i.e. bigger than 9 mm, usually 10 or 11), black powder rifles, meaning ammo was WAAAY heavier than it is nowadays. When you're in a siege, you're basically fighting against the clock, hoping you can hold out with your supplies until reinforcements come, if they ever do. So, rather than take wild shots, they would make sure the enemy was exactly where they thought they were, and set their range markings on their rifles accordingly so that they had the ammo when they need it later (if you know about the Winter War, this is the problem the Finns ran into by the end of it). If there was a breach, the Winchesters came out, saving ammo for that critical moment to keep the enemy at bay. The first technique is still used today in modern Armored Fighting Vehicles: know your distances, and adjust accordingly, just in case the computer can't return a firing solution (e.g. "Okay, I know that barn over there is 2000 meters away, so when they pass that, I should aim over here to make a hit more likely.").
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,840 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Less to make sure they would land, and more to make sure they didn't waste ammo firing at out of range targets. Keep in mind, this is a 19th century siege. Pre-mechanization, you had to pack that ammo in, if you're lucky, by horse. This was also the era of big bore (i.e. bigger than 9 mm, usually 10 or 11), black powder rifles, meaning ammo was WAAAY heavier than it is nowadays. When you're in a siege, you're basically fighting against the clock, hoping you can hold out with your supplies until reinforcements come, if they ever do. So, rather than take wild shots, they would make sure the enemy was exactly where they thought they were, and set their range markings on their rifles accordingly so that they had the ammo when they need it later (if you know about the Winter War, this is the problem the Finns ran into by the end of it). If there was a breach, the Winchesters came out, saving ammo for that critical moment to keep the enemy at bay. The first technique is still used today in modern Armored Fighting Vehicles: know your distances, and adjust accordingly, just in case the computer can't return a firing solution (e.g. "Okay, I know that barn over there is 2000 meters away, so when they pass that, I should aim over here to make a hit more likely.").
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,961
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I'll go with the Amber Room:

[Image: AyyEWrF.jpg]

Looks spectacular, but it was lost during World War II, and nobody really knows what happened to it.

There is a replica, which fulfils my "desire to see it back" up to a point, but somehow it's not quite the same!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,961 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 

Looks spectacular, but it was lost during World War II, and nobody really knows what happened to it.

There is a replica, which fulfils my "desire to see it back" up to a point, but somehow it's not quite the same!
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I honestly would probably say I'd like to see America at the beginning of it creation and see what could potentially lead it down a different path than the shitty one that we have now....there would be a lot to avert with all that hindsight. Errm I'm also just curious of the effect not stealing the native lands would have on the effects of this country and for the love of god never allowing the two party system bullshit that we have now because I'm sick of it being a goddamn team sport when both candidates work for the same fucking rich class. No fucking slavery in the United States EVER, no more "America is a Christian nation" due to the fucking red scare.

honestly the thought of these things not being a thing just make me really happy and it make me sad cause at the creation of a nation there could have been so many good possibilities, but the people in charge led it down to this shithole that we have now.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I honestly would probably say I'd like to see America at the beginning of it creation and see what could potentially lead it down a different path than the shitty one that we have now....there would be a lot to avert with all that hindsight. Errm I'm also just curious of the effect not stealing the native lands would have on the effects of this country and for the love of god never allowing the two party system bullshit that we have now because I'm sick of it being a goddamn team sport when both candidates work for the same fucking rich class. No fucking slavery in the United States EVER, no more "America is a Christian nation" due to the fucking red scare.

honestly the thought of these things not being a thing just make me really happy and it make me sad cause at the creation of a nation there could have been so many good possibilities, but the people in charge led it down to this shithole that we have now.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think there's no starting a 100% clean America concept without some kind of human rights violation. If we were to keep everything as sterile as possible, there would be no USA, Canada, most of Central and South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as they all are now. I'd be curious of a world without conquest. Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think there's no starting a 100% clean America concept without some kind of human rights violation. If we were to keep everything as sterile as possible, there would be no USA, Canada, most of Central and South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as they all are now. I'd be curious of a world without conquest. Hmm
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I was kinda thinking that instead of colonies being so spaced apart that they formed in lands that no tribe has traditionally claimed but of course I feel like it wouldn't be 100% clean either sadly.

But it does sound interesting what the world would be like without colonialism. Conquest I feel like due to all conquests that we may never know about it could be a completely different world.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I was kinda thinking that instead of colonies being so spaced apart that they formed in lands that no tribe has traditionally claimed but of course I feel like it wouldn't be 100% clean either sadly.

But it does sound interesting what the world would be like without colonialism. Conquest I feel like due to all conquests that we may never know about it could be a completely different world.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 11th, 2021, 10:21 PM)Kyng Wrote:

That room reminds me of a room Donald Trump has that is just lined with a ton of gold everywhere; I wonder if he was inspired by this? I also saw that they did recreate the room back in 2003, although obviously it isn't the same as the original. I expect that the Amber Room and a lot of other things were dismantled or disappeared during WW2 by the German's or whoever that people wish could be found again.

(Jul 12th, 2021, 01:29 AM)Karo Wrote:

I don't think it would matter. Multiple groups of people took over different areas of land and there's just no way you could ever co-ordinate all those groups to work together and not fight over free land that isn't held by anyone. The most you'd get here is seeing America in its original glory before any settlers arrived, since anything after that that's original is going to be exactly how history plays out or it's going to be different due to changing history and then it isn't the original glory anymore.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 11th, 2021, 10:21 PM)Kyng Wrote:

That room reminds me of a room Donald Trump has that is just lined with a ton of gold everywhere; I wonder if he was inspired by this? I also saw that they did recreate the room back in 2003, although obviously it isn't the same as the original. I expect that the Amber Room and a lot of other things were dismantled or disappeared during WW2 by the German's or whoever that people wish could be found again.

(Jul 12th, 2021, 01:29 AM)Karo Wrote:

I don't think it would matter. Multiple groups of people took over different areas of land and there's just no way you could ever co-ordinate all those groups to work together and not fight over free land that isn't held by anyone. The most you'd get here is seeing America in its original glory before any settlers arrived, since anything after that that's original is going to be exactly how history plays out or it's going to be different due to changing history and then it isn't the original glory anymore.
Smokey Offline
Dreamcast Fanboy
Currently Playing
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition
Favourite Platform(s)
Sega Dreamcast, Xbox Series X
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 2,160
Gaming wise? Call of Duty.
Smokey Offline
Dreamcast Fanboy
Currently Playing
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition
Favourite Platform(s)
Sega Dreamcast, Xbox Series X
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 2,160
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 20th, 2021, 10:14 PM)Smokey Wrote:
XD
Where do you think the series started to go away from what you view as the glory days?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 20th, 2021, 10:14 PM)Smokey Wrote:
XD
Where do you think the series started to go away from what you view as the glory days?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back Pain Nebulous 9 2,092 Feb 27th, 2023, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Nebulous
  Universal Gaming Podcast (A look back...) Eric 12 6,381 Nov 12th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Moonface